Changing APN settings - not saving

Search This thread

Aiex Rlder

Aug 12, 2010
thanks it works now :D

only i seem to be unable to download apps from the market :( and as astro is an old version i can't use it and can't install apps :(

Nick_NS

Nov 23, 2009
Halifax, NS
To shorten the process apply this androidupdate.tar

It contains sysini.rc with lines in question marked out.

These two lines enable marketenable.sh to be run like service and owervrite MCC and MNC values. When you remove these two lines MCC and MNC values ​​will be read from mobile network.

This should help, but let me know how it went.

I tried applying this update but it left my phone doing a constant reboot loop. Can anyone recommend a good text editor to use to do the modification manually?

zaidaiman

Feb 28, 2010
Though this is old thread and for old devices, but thanks to this thread, I was able to figure out the culprit: MarketEnabler.

If you want to send an MMS, you have to revert to your original gsm.sim.operator.numeric.
The original operator numeric can be found by using adb:
Code:
adb shell getprop gsm.operator.numeric

Hope this will help others who faced similar problem.

thoughtlesskyle

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 26, 2008
Outside of Philadelphia
Though this is old thread and for old devices, but thanks to this thread, I was able to figure out the culprit: MarketEnabler.

If you want to send an MMS, you have to revert to your original gsm.sim.operator.numeric.
The original operator numeric can be found by using adb:
Code:
adb shell getprop gsm.operator.numeric

Hope this will help others who faced similar problem.

Thank you but ours was due to the way the RIL was implemented for the device

Sent from my PG86100 using XDA App

3bood

Oct 7, 2011
same here

guys i am stuck here please i need help . its not saving the mcc.
i need a solutionnnn:mad:

ajgausa

Sep 7, 2011
I found a solution for this problem that hope works for more people. I run into this when updated my Samsung Captivate to ICS a couple days ago, but I think this is a general homebrew-rom Android problem, not specific to a particular phone.

Anyway, you need root access to do this and some file manager that runs with root permissions. I used 'Root Browser' to do this. The idea is to edit the apns-conf.xml file in the /etc directory and check whether there is an entry for your carrier APN. If there is, make sure the MCC and MNC values are correct. Otherwise, correct them.

If there is not an entry for it, copy one of the apn configurations that look similar to yours and change it accordingly. In order to edit the file, I run into lot of trouble with Text Editor, so I did the following: copied the apns-conf.xml file to some location in the sdcard. Plug the USB cable and edit the file with a text editor from your computer. Save it. Rename the original apns-conf.xml file to something else like apns-conf.xml.orig, just in case, move the file apns-conf.xml you just edited to /etc and check that the permissions are rw-r--r--. Change them to this otherwise.

After doing that, I rebooted and my phone auto-detected the correct APN configuration and the mobile network started working.

I know this is kind of confusing, so let me illustrate it with my particular example: I use Simyo in Spain, which is not in the apns-conf.xml file. Using 'Root Browser', I copied this file to the /sdcard directory; plugged the USB cable and edited it with 'gedit' (in ubuntu). Copied the entry

<apn carrier="Claro Internet"
mcc="740"
mnc="010"
apn="internet.porta.com.ec"
user=""
password=""
authtype="1"
type="default,supl,dun"
/>

at the end of the file, just before the </apns> marker, and changed it into

<apn carrier="Simyo Internet"
mcc="214"
mnc="19"
apn="gprs-service.com"
user=""
password=""
authtype="1"
type="default,supl"
/>

(Make sure to include the <apn /> markers). Saved it and ejected the phone removable disk; moved the apns-conf.xml file back to /etc using 'Root Browser' and changed the permissions to rw-r--r--. Rebooted and my APN configuration was auto-detected and the mobile network started working!

Hope this helps. Please, don't hesitate to contact me if you need further details. Sorry for the long post.

Best,

Angel

xorrbit

Sep 18, 2012
Winnipeg
This is a very odd. I wanted to pre-load the APN settings of a new carrier that I'll be moving to soon, but wasn't able to as the MNC was different. I think it may get wiped out after I switch SIM cards anyways so this isn't a huge deal yet. Anyways I've bookmarked this thread as I believe it will help me set up my APN settings when I do switch over, thanks for all the infos here!

RubenPauwels1

Jun 25, 2013
I found a solution for saving the APN:

This worked for me:

- Go to Dial Number and type *#*#4636#*#* for the hidden (info)menu in Android
- touch 'phone information'
- search for 'Set preferred network' or something like that (I'm from Belgium so my phone is in the Dutch language)
- change 'WCDMA preferred' to 'CDMA auto (prl)'
- you're good to go and you can save your APNs now :)

mikelepage

Nov 25, 2013
I found a solution for saving the APN:

This worked for me:

- Go to Dial Number and type *#*#4636#*#* for the hidden (info)menu in Android
- touch 'phone information'
- search for 'Set preferred network' or something like that (I'm from Belgium so my phone is in the Dutch language)
- change 'WCDMA preferred' to 'CDMA auto (prl)'
- you're good to go and you can save your APNs now :)

Unfortunately this didn't work, largely because I'm not on network at all right now, which is why this is such a big issue for me.

In summary, I flashed a custom ROM (ge4.3-build.prop-l720 on a Telus S4), and everything looks great except I can't add APNs. There isn't a single one listed and when I attempt to add one, I enter all of the information, press Save, and nothing saves.

This is slightly different than the other listed here, I know, but does anyone out there have a thought as to why this might be occurring?

thanks.

nhecas

Sep 30, 2012
I found a solution for this problem that hope works for more people. I run into this when updated my Samsung Captivate to ICS a couple days ago, but I think this is a general homebrew-rom Android problem, not specific to a particular phone.

Anyway, you need root access to do this and some file manager that runs with root permissions. I used 'Root Browser' to do this. The idea is to edit the apns-conf.xml file in the /etc directory and check whether there is an entry for your carrier APN. If there is, make sure the MCC and MNC values are correct. Otherwise, correct them.

If there is not an entry for it, copy one of the apn configurations that look similar to yours and change it accordingly. In order to edit the file, I run into lot of trouble with Text Editor, so I did the following: copied the apns-conf.xml file to some location in the sdcard. Plug the USB cable and edit the file with a text editor from your computer. Save it. Rename the original apns-conf.xml file to something else like apns-conf.xml.orig, just in case, move the file apns-conf.xml you just edited to /etc and check that the permissions are rw-r--r--. Change them to this otherwise.

After doing that, I rebooted and my phone auto-detected the correct APN configuration and the mobile network started working.

I know this is kind of confusing, so let me illustrate it with my particular example: I use Simyo in Spain, which is not in the apns-conf.xml file. Using 'Root Browser', I copied this file to the /sdcard directory; plugged the USB cable and edited it with 'gedit' (in ubuntu). Copied the entry

<apn carrier="Claro Internet"
mcc="740"
mnc="010"
apn="internet.porta.com.ec"
user=""
password=""
authtype="1"
type="default,supl,dun"
/>

at the end of the file, just before the </apns> marker, and changed it into

<apn carrier="Simyo Internet"
mcc="214"
mnc="19"
apn="gprs-service.com"
user=""
password=""
authtype="1"
type="default,supl"
/>

(Make sure to include the <apn /> markers). Saved it and ejected the phone removable disk; moved the apns-conf.xml file back to /etc using 'Root Browser' and changed the permissions to rw-r--r--. Rebooted and my APN configuration was auto-detected and the mobile network started working!

Hope this helps. Please, don't hesitate to contact me if you need further details. Sorry for the long post.

Best,

Angel

Did this, didn't work. Also deleted the file, and it didn't work. Any suggestions?

AKghandi

Jun 23, 2014
has anyone found a solution to this?>

im dealing with it with an S2 that was on 2.6.3 and is now 4.2.1 rooted.

if i dont change the mnc or mmc( in my phone its mcc) then they will stay but when i try to change it, it wont allow it.

i have tried editing the apns-conf.xml file to no avail. tried all sorts of methods, even coping the apns file from a friends phone and putting it on my phone:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Ecip

Dec 14, 2010
I found great results flashing a modem after my APN settings not saving after installing cm11-20141112-snapshot-m12-d2lte.
I flashed modem_CWM_I747MUMUEND3.

okireloaded

May 30, 2015
ZTE Open C APN not saving

can APN settings be set using SD card? becuase my APN settings arnt getting saved, if not then could i possibly adjust using pc?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I was having this problem with my SGS. I just deleted the apns-conf.xml located in /etc/system

This requires root+terminal+busybox. Then just use a command 'busybox rm /etc/system/apns-conf.xml Just replied to note...