Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Mikey

Retired Senior Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Wheaton, Il
Google Pixel Fold
Thinking of posting a new thread???
Search the whole forum using the search button for a relative topic.
Use the search button on the top bar.

If any mod, including myself, continue to find new threads about topics that have threads already existing. The thread will be locked with no notice and/or up to a temp BAN!!.

Mods, including myself, are not here to keep the forum organized after the fact, we need your help to keep it organized, clean and grouped.

To the dedicated members that care to keep this forum, subforums included, clean and organized and grouped.
Please start reporting threads to the mods to take action. Using this button.

Thank You and happy easy searching. :)
c912e676f56ef639b43303fb7613935b2g.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

neoobs

Retired Moderator
Mar 25, 2008
Did you post and now you can't find it?

1. Try looking at your previous posts by using the link below (replace *userid* with your userid)
Code:
http://xdaforums.com/search.php?do=finduser&u=*userid*
or go to your profile and it is under statistics.

2. If you can't find it, it was probably deleted.

3. If you think it was deleted DO NOT POST about it. PM neoobs (me) and I will try to find it. If it was deleted by mistake I will recover it for you.

If you start a thread asking where your post/thread went, I will delete it. If you start too many of these threads, I will ban you for a week.

neoobs

Retired Moderator
Mar 25, 2008
I am locking Tutorials to try and keep them clean, Please try to add a page to the wiki or add to another page (all hero tweaks under the page for their specific rom) with what you posted.

If you need a support question answered PM me and I will reopen it.

Stericson

Retired Senior Mod / Retired Senior RD
Nov 10, 2008
Rom Devs Read this before posting!

BE Forwarned!

If you are a rom Dev, and you post a rom on this forum, I will be checking the roms for warez.

As a dev, I know how hard it is to put out good quality work, and if your a rom dev you should know as well.

Because of my respect for other devs, whether its roms or apps, and my respect for XDA (Who could be sued for warez being present here), I will check every rom posted.

If I find that your rom contains warez, I will remove the links to your rom and let you know that I have done so. I will ask you to remove the warez before putting up a link to your rom again. At the time that you post the new link to your rom, I will check it again for warez. If I check your rom again and there are warez present I WILL lock the thread and remove your links untill you present me with a clean rom, at which time I will unlock your thread. If I lock your thread and it remains locked for 7 days with no response from you, the dev, I WILL delete the entire thread.

What Constitutes as Warez?

Any application that is a paid for app.

Any Applications listed below:

QuickOffice

Other Mods, feel free to add to this.

Last edited:

acejoker25000

Feb 25, 2009
hickory, n.c.
out of curiosity if someone got permission from the dev to redistribute the app would u allow the rom to remain? and what kind of proof would u need to be given?

one more question! is it considered warez if the app on the market is a paid app but the developer has it online on another site for free is it classified as warez if it is used in a rom?

Last edited:

senaia

May 14, 2009
out of curiosity if someone got permission from the dev to redistribute the app would u allow the rom to remain? and what kind of proof would u need to be given?

one more question! is it considered warez if the app on the market is a paid app but the developer has it online on another site for free is it classified as warez if it is used in a rom?

I think in this situation, proof would be a copy of an email or something similar.
And I think if an app is available for free from the dev themselves, and also paid on the market, it should be ok but permission prefered. For example the A2SD app when a2sd was new. The app was posted on this forum as free download, and in market at £1, I know devs made their own a2sd scripts, but I think if the app was to be included in a rom, permission would be appreciated
But that's just me, not too sure really

Stericson

Nov 10, 2008

If its a paid app in the market, or anywhere for that matter, then it is warez.

You MAY use a devs app in your rom as long as you have permission. However that permission must be verified and it WILL be looked into by me or another mod in order to make sure it is authentic.

In a case like this it would be best for the dev to contact a mod at the forum to let us know this is ok.

Stericson

Last edited:

Stericson

Nov 10, 2008
Yes, because he didnt have permission from the owner and the owner actually confronted him about it...

gurnted

Apr 14, 2009
No offense but.....

:Dlmfao..this thread is so hypocritical. I love it! You redefine the word warez to fit your own personal standards, then force said standards on the rest of the users. You would have been a great asset to the Christians during the crusades.

So let's get this right. The things you listed are warez, but TGE, SenseUI, BlurUI, Windows Mobile roms, etc isn't?:eek: Please enlighten us on exactly how you reached this conclusion. The way you are handling this makes it seem as if you are being an advocate for only independent devs, and saying f*** the corporations and their devs. Steal from them all you want.

I understand that banning all warez would be restrictive enough to make devs go elsewhere to post, but what good does banning some do? Protect xda from the small time devs who can't afford legal teams anyway? If you really wanted to cover xda's a** you would be banning redistribution of the big boys' software.

Please don't take offense to this. This is meant to have a humorous tone (in other words I'm just BSing around). I don't mean it as a personal attack or anything like that. I have much respect for the people here who help make android better, and understand what you guys are getting at. I just found the obviously flawed nature of your actions way to funny to not point out.

CrazyEye

Jul 30, 2009
Vegas, Nevada
Sounds fair enough =]

It would be awesome if ROM devs create their own apps and have it exclusively on Their roms. It will definantly spruce up the experience

carnegie0107

Jul 26, 2009
Springytown
So let's get this right. The things you listed are warez, but TGE, SenseUI, BlurUI, Windows Mobile roms, etc isn't?:eek: Please enlighten us on exactly how you reached this conclusion. The way you are handling this makes it seem as if you are being an advocate for only independent devs, and saying f*** the corporations and their devs. Steal from them all you want.

I understand that banning all warez would be restrictive enough to make devs go elsewhere to post, but what good does banning some do? Protect xda from the small time devs who can't afford legal teams anyway? If you really wanted to cover xda's a** you would be banning redistribution of the big boys' software.

The whole point here is to keep xda out of trouble. For the most part, Microsoft, HTC, Motorola, etc. don't care that we're tinkering with their stuff. When they do mind, xda has to stop it (like what happened with Cyanogen's C&D). You can't ban all redistribution of "intellectual property" (I hate that phrase, it's stupid to think that knowledge could be someone's property, but that is the current view of the law), or people would leave xda, but you have to ban outright swapping of paid apps, or xda gets in big trouble.

That said... I question the free here/paid on the market apps. There are some apps on the market that are paid, but are open source (in some cases GPL) and can be freely downloaded from the dev's website. In this case, certainly permission would be best, but in the case of the dev not responding, certainly this would be okay? I mean, in this case (open source), it's completely legal to redistribute. Therefore, including it in your rom should absolutely be allowable, yes?

That said, I thought I had read somewhere that betterterminal was free software? Or am I wrong....? I will go look into it.

blueheeler

Nov 7, 2008
Corpus Christi
So that means that all devs must NOT include any of the Google apps, right?
I mean every dev must come up with a way just like Cyanogen did, right?
Afterall, the C&D letter to Cyanogen set a precedence. Everyone is well aware of Google's position.
That makes it far more serious for everyone to comply.

Mikey

Retired Senior Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Wheaton, Il
Google Pixel Fold
That said, I thought I had read somewhere that betterterminal was free software? Or am I wrong....? I will go look into it.

Better terminal has A free Version:
Free Better Terminal 1.3
Gain access to the Linux internals of your Android device with Better Terminal Emulator. Features include enhanced scrolling, paste, selectable font size and color. New version with Soft Keyboard available, see magicandroidapps.com for selection guide. Also try Better Terminal Emulator Pro v1.41 with programmable shortcuts.

Better Terminal Emulator was developed for Android by MagicAndroidApps.com

Package name : com.altair32.betterterm

Better Terminal has a PAID Version:
Better Terminal Pro 1.55
Unlock the Linux potential of Android with Better Terminal Emulator Pro. www.magicandroidapps.com

v1.5 ASH shell with command history and editing.

v1.52: soft keyboard in full screen/landscape fixed

v1.53: Pipe (|) added, fix for Hero rotate crash, Android 1.6 (Donut) and WVGA support.

v1.55: Fix GC hang issue

Better Terminal Emulator Pro was developed for Android by MagicAndroidApps.com

Package name : com.magicandroidapps.bettertermpro

The free Version is fine in ROMS, obviously not the paid version ;)

Stericson

Nov 10, 2008
Ok, This is cut and dry. Yall need to quit trying to make this bigger then what it is.

In XDA's eye,

All paid for apps are warez.
Quickoffice is warez.

If the app in question is open source, then its open source and can be used, link that states it is open source would be great to display.

Quit trying to blow this bigger then what it is. We could stand here all day and argue over the "technacalities" of whats legal and whats not. So lets just not waste our time writing long posts to argue something that isnt even worth arguing here, IMO.

Once again, untill further notice, on XDA, in specific regards to content in relation to android, the term warez will reference Paid apps, and quickoffice.

In the future we may add to this, but not at this time.

Stericson

hharte

Nov 3, 2009
www.magicandroidapps.com
I am the developer of Better Terminal Emulator. Better Terminal Emulator 1.3 was for Android 1.0. It's best to use Better Terminal Emulator Magic v1.5 for Cupcake and later. I recently updated Better Terminal Emulator Pro for the new Android devices coming out, and will be upgrading the free version of Better Terminal Emulator Magic to include all the soft keyboard bugfixes that went into Pro. Essentially "Magic" will have all features of "Pro" except the Enhanced Shell and Virtual DPAD.

Any ROM developers who wish to include Better Terminal Emulator Magic are free to do so.

Also, I made a Wiki to cover Better Terminal Emulator:

http://www.magicandroidapps.com/wiki

My goal is to make Better Terminal Emulator Magic the best FREE Terminal Emulator for Android, and to add some great features to Pro for people who want to be on the cutting edge with the latest improvements. I am also planning to support x86-based Android devices, and have posted Better Terminal Emulator Magic to many app sites, since I know many development devices don't have access to the official Market.

Thanks for your interest in, and support of Better Terminal Emulator.

-Howard

bryon13

Feb 25, 2009
Kudos for protecting the app devs, but...

When did XDA become a soap opera?

For f*%#s sake, people, if a dev says so, then it is so!

If you don't like it, find another forum!

Hell, I don't totally agree with the definition of "warez" they seem to be using, but this isn't MY FORUM, so I don't have ANY REASON TO COMPLAIN WHEN THEY MAKE RULES!

Dammit, just be happy they're leaving stuff alone that they're leaving alone! If you can't live without quickoffice, or stealing paid apps, then FIGURE OUT A WAY TO FIND THEM YOURSELF!

Some of you want to argue about the most ridiculous crap! At least you can still download the friggin roms!

STFU already!

Status
Not open for further replies.