Windows Phone Future Updates

Search This thread

nicksti

Sep 7, 2009
Purpose

The purpose of this list is to fully educate current and prospective owners about any features that are missing and will be added in a future update as confirmed by an official source. Hopefully this will avoid frustration and uncertainty since knowing is half the battle.

Missing Features

Copy & Paste (addressed in Update 2)
Custom ringtones (addressed in Update 4)
Turn-by-turn Navigation (addressed in Update 4)
Multitasking (addressed in Update 4)
Adobe Flash (doubtful)
HTML5 (addressed in Update 4)
Silverlight
Tethering
Video Calling (addressed in Update 4)
VoIP Calling
Smart Dialer
Mass Storage Mode
Bluetooth Transfer
Universal Search (to be addressed in Tango Build)
System Wide File Manager
On-device Encryption
VPN

Official Microsoft Request Forums

User Feature Requests
Developer Requests
Bugs & Features

Update History

Update 7.0.7008.0(February 21st 2011)
  • Improvements to the way software updates will be delivered to ensure that the process keeps working smoothly.

Update 7.0.7390.0 - NoDo (March 22nd 2011)
  • Copy & Paste
  • Faster Apps & Games
  • Improved Marketplace
  • WiFi Improvements
  • Microsoft Outlook improvements
  • Messaging Improvements
  • Facebook Intergration
  • Camera Improvements
  • Audio Improvements
  • Other Performance Improvements

Update 7.0.7392.0 - Bug Fix (May 2011)
  • Fix for Fraudulent third-party digital certificates

Update 7.10.7720.68 - Windows Phone 7.5 (Fall 2011)
  • Custom ringtones
  • Visual voicemail
  • New speech commands
  • Email & messaging - threads, conversationale view, linked inboxes
  • People & social networking - groups, increased sharing, integrated Twitter and LinkIn, improved Me Card, history view
  • Multitasking
  • App Connect
  • Improved Live Tiles
  • Improved Marketplace
  • Calendar
  • Improved browser search
  • Local Scout
  • Mall maps
  • Driving directions
  • Camera improvements - picture sharing & tagging, persistent camera settings, redesigned Picture Hub
  • Music & videos - playlists, smart DJ, Podcasts
  • Skydrive
  • Improved Office Hub
  • Onenote to do list
  • Improved Excel
  • Redesigned Game Hub
  • Networking - Wi-Fi hotspot, connect to hidden networks
  • Manage phone from web

Update 7.10.8107.79 - Bug Fixes (Jan 2012)
  • On-screen keyboard - Fixes an issue to prevent the keyboard from disappearing during typing.
  • Email - Fixes a Google mail syncing issue.
  • Location - Fixes a location access issue. With this fix, the Me feature in the People Hub sends anonymous information about nearby Wi-Fi access points and cell towers to Microsoft only if you agree to allow the Check In function to access and use location information.
  • Security - Revokes digital certificates from DigiCert Sdn Bhd to address an encryption issue.
  • Email threads - Fixes an email issue related to Microsoft Exchange Server 2003. With this fix, when you reply to or forward a message, the original message is now included in your response.
  • Voicemail - Fixes a voicemail notification display issue that occurs on some European and Asian networks under certain conditions.

Last edited:

rruffman

Oct 31, 2007
Purpose

The purpose of this list is to fully educate current and prospective owners about any features that are missing and will be added in a future update as confirmed by an official source. Hopefully this will avoid frustration and uncertainty since knowing is half the battle.

Windows Phone 7 1.0

Cut, Copy & Paste - Early 2011
Multitasking - Sometime in the future
Adobe Flash - Sometime in the future
Custom ringtones - ? (said to be included in Early 2011 update)
Tethering - ?
Video Calling - ?
VoIP Calling - ?
Mass Storage Mode - ? (currently working with small regedit on your computer)
Bluetooth Transfer - ?
Universal Search - ?
Turn-by-turn Navigation - ? (said to be included in Early 2011 update)
System Wide File Manager - ?
On-device Encryption - Sometime in the future

edited some of your features

Reactions: Loki1973

Omega Ra

Apr 1, 2009
Metuchen, NJ
Purpose

Windows Phone 7 1.0

Cut, Copy & Paste - Early 2011
Multitasking - Sometime in the future
Adobe Flash - Sometime in the future
Custom ringtones - ?
Tethering - (Working on Samsung models with a hack)
Video Calling - ?
VoIP Calling - ?
Mass Storage Mode - ?
Bluetooth Transfer - ?
Universal Search - ?
Turn-by-turn Navigation - ?
System Wide File Manager - ?
On-device Encryption - Sometime in the future

added one more myself...

nicksti

Sep 7, 2009
Thanks. I will edit the post with any information I receive. I would like to avoid workarounds and hacks. I am not sure how to handle 3rd party apps either.

ceesheim

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 11, 2009
No Android Fanboys Please !!!
Some information on ringtones :

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• custom-ringtone.jpg
    custom-ringtone.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 56,991
  • custom-ringtone1.jpg
    custom-ringtone1.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 56,793
Last edited:
Reactions: Tushaar Talwar

PG2G

Nov 7, 2010
I'd probably remove system-wide file manager. I don't think that I've ever seen Microsoft even suggest that its coming.

Musicman247

Jul 6, 2007
Texas
Can we get these organized by time of release? That way the ones on top are the ones that will definitely be released, and as you go we get into maybe territory.

Reactions: hv010293

AceofSpades25

Aug 7, 2009
The mass storage mode workaround doesn't offer anything new.
It is pointless suggesting it is no longer an issue

- It can only be used to copy files to the music/pictures or videos folder
- Zune could do this anyway
- Zune has to be installed for this work around
- It can't be used on any computer (so it is useless for transfering files between computers) since Zune needs to be installed and the registry needs to be tweaked
- You can't open the files from your phone unless they are pictures/videos/music
- Applications on your phone cannot access these files

Fernbedienung

Nov 4, 2007
Outlook Task Sync

Any news if they ever plan to add the task sync with Exchange? I really don't get it why they missed such a basic and widely used feature like syncing tasks. I am using the desktop OneNote feature to set tasks with dates in Outlook alot and this becomes totally useless if I can't get them synced with my phone. :(

myRTTech

Nov 16, 2010
... and subscribed calendars (even just a 1 way sync to subscribed calendars) is absolutely necessary for any business use. Every other platform can do it, why MS can't is beyond me. Very frustrating. Our team, with 12 all new WP7 phones as of yesterday, has 29 days left to go back to Android if some solution doesn't come up by then for this most basic business requirement.

Cranbone

Dec 25, 2009
Outlook Sync

-Outlook Sync from a PC
-Vibrate more than twice on incoming phone call when phone is on vibrate
-Full silent mode with no ring, no vibrate without having to turn the master volume to 0
-Add vibration to alarms and allow alarms to keep ringing until I push snooze or dismiss
-IE Address Bar in landscape mode
-A favorite contacts tile
-Ability to change font size
-Ability to organize app list with folders or something..can get very long. or add a alphabet tile like in the contacts
-Ability to save camera settings
-Ability to combine mailboxes
-Alternating MMS/SMS bubble colors (to better distinguish conversation participants)
-Vibration when striking keys on virtual keyboard, not just sound
-Spelling suggestions in all text input fields throughout OS
-when a call comes in, not having to slide up AND press accept call
-When in a phone call, MUTE, SPEAKERPHONE and the KEYPAD should be present
-Individual volume control, ringer sounds notifications etc
-Twitter and Myspace integration
-Myphone integration into Live
-Fix connector so it syncs everything in contacts from outlook (like pictures in contacts)
-Adjust timeout for lock screen or ability to turn off all together. Certain programs shouldnt timeout and show lock screen, like when using navigation

Last edited:

myRTTech

Nov 16, 2010
I know this one is minor, but when the home screen is at it's scroll limit at the top, bring up the pixels at least so it doesn't cut off the title text from the fourth row tiles at the bottom of the screen. It's really minor, but would go a long way for a quality UI.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Purpose

Missing Features

Copy & Paste (addressed in Update 2)
    Custom ringtones (addressed in Update 4)
    Turn-by-turn Navigation (addressed in Update 4)
    Multitasking (addressed in Update 4)
    Adobe Flash (doubtful)
    HTML5 (addressed in Update 4)
    Silverlight
    Tethering
    Video Calling (addressed in Update 4)
    VoIP Calling
    Smart Dialer
    Mass Storage Mode
    Bluetooth Transfer
    Universal Search (to be addressed in Tango Build)
    System Wide File Manager
    On-device Encryption
    VPN

Official Microsoft Request Forums

User Feature Requests
    Developer Requests
    Bugs & Features

Update History

Update 7.0.7008.0(February 21st 2011)
    • Improvements to the way software updates will be delivered to ensure that the process keeps working smoothly.

Update 7.0.7390.0 - NoDo (March 22nd 2011)
    • Copy & Paste
    • Faster Apps & Games
    • Improved Marketplace
    • WiFi Improvements
    • Microsoft Outlook improvements
    • Messaging Improvements
    • Facebook Intergration
    • Camera Improvements
    • Audio Improvements
    • Other Performance Improvements

Update 7.0.7392.0 - Bug Fix (May 2011)
    • Fix for Fraudulent third-party digital certificates

Update 7.10.7720.68 - Windows Phone 7.5 (Fall 2011)
    • Custom ringtones
    • Visual voicemail
    • New speech commands
    • Email & messaging - threads, conversationale view, linked inboxes
    • People & social networking - groups, increased sharing, integrated Twitter and LinkIn, improved Me Card, history view
    • Multitasking
    • App Connect
    • Improved Live Tiles
    • Improved Marketplace
    • Calendar
    • Improved browser search
    • Local Scout
    • Mall maps
    • Driving directions
    • Camera improvements - picture sharing & tagging, persistent camera settings, redesigned Picture Hub
    • Music & videos - playlists, smart DJ, Podcasts
    • Skydrive
    • Improved Office Hub
    • Onenote to do list
    • Improved Excel
    • Redesigned Game Hub
    • Networking - Wi-Fi hotspot, connect to hidden networks
    • Manage phone from web

Update 7.10.8107.79 - Bug Fixes (Jan 2012)
    • On-screen keyboard - Fixes an issue to prevent the keyboard from disappearing during typing.
    • Email - Fixes a Google mail syncing issue.
    • Location - Fixes a location access issue. With this fix, the Me feature in the People Hub sends anonymous information about nearby Wi-Fi access points and cell towers to Microsoft only if you agree to allow the Check In function to access and use location information.
    • Security - Revokes digital certificates from DigiCert Sdn Bhd to address an encryption issue.
    • Email threads - Fixes an email issue related to Microsoft Exchange Server 2003. With this fix, when you reply to or forward a message, the original message is now included in your response.
    • Voicemail - Fixes a voicemail notification display issue that occurs on some European and Asian networks under certain conditions.
    DOS hasn't been "built in" to home versions of Windows since Windows XP. Windows ME was built on DOS, but prevented direct access to it in the way previous versions allowed. Enterprise versions of Windows have been based on the NT kernel since the mid-90s.

A large amount of older software is very difficult to use on newer versions of Windows. Windows XP is as old as Windows 95 was in 2005, so it doesn't count as "modern" by any stretch - unless, of course, someone was running Windows 95 on an Athlon 64 X2 in 2005. Windows Vista and Windows 7 have severe compatibility issues with programs written for versions of Windows prior to Windows 2000, and occasionally run into issues with those designed for 2000/XP.

Windows Mobile was dropped because it was considered a failure. It was, to a large degree, an attempt to place a desktop OS on a phone. It simply didn't work well.

Windows Phone 7, though still based on Windows CE, is a completely different platform that makes use of different APIs. Windows Phone 7's relation to Windows Mobile is no closer than Windows 7's relationship to Windows NT 4.0.

Your assertion that "Windows Phone is a fail because people said so" is also flawed. Everyone may have an opinion, but there is certainly a such thing as an invalid opinion. I, for example, am a mathematician. I am not a very creative individual. I see things very logically and algorithmically. I am also colorblind and have absolutely no education, interest, or background in fine art. I can assert that a piece of art is "a fail," but in the end, my opinion is meaningless because my opinion is uninformed and invalid.

The average salesperson has absolutely no idea that there's a difference between Windows Phone and Windows Mobile, not to mention people pushing technology generally have absolutely no idea what they're talking about. Around 2004, going to Best Buy would result in having an Intel Pentium 4-based PC pushed on you, completely ignoring the fact that AMD's offerings at that time were superior in every way.
    Hi there!

Inspired by this topic, i've made a new one on the Portuguese forum Zwame with lots of improvements, including more info about the updates, more included future updates and homebrew alternatives to missing features.

The website is in Portuguese, but you can use Google or Bing translator do check it out!

Here is the link: http://forum.zwame.pt/showthread.php?t=645544

Google Translator (PT to EN): http://translate.google.pt/translat...http://forum.zwame.pt/showthread.php?t=645544

Bing Translator (PT to EN): http://www.microsofttranslator.com/...http://forum.zwame.pt/showthread.php?t=645544

And don't forget to thank me! :D

----
    Camaradas Portuguese passem pelo fórum da Zwame onde coloquei um novo tópico sobre as actualizações do Windows Phone, inspirado neste, mas com uma data de novidades e até alternativas à falta de funcionalidades (homebrew).

Eis a ligação: http://forum.zwame.pt/showthread.php?t=645544

E não se esqueçam de agradecer! :D
    This is only partially fixed.
    Seriously I can only paste once, then it clears the clipboard

That is not fixed, not fixed at all

/edit spelling fail

It doesn't clear the clipboard. Where you see the paste icon slide off to the left, you can slide to the right and bring it back and paste as many times as you want.
    I haven't get update yet. But I afraid that Chervon Tool will be deactivated, too.
    Need more news from ppl who has updated and using Chervon tool...

I took my risk to update it.

Everything goes smoooth... and the Chervon unlock is still there! Walah.... :D