[Q] What are the repercussions of tripping the KNOX counter?

Search This thread

BLuFeNiX

Jan 18, 2013
I know it can't be reversed, and it could affect warranty/RMA policies, but are there any other consequences? Like disabled features?

Thanks.

dustintinsley

Jun 14, 2013
I know it can't be reversed, and it could affect warranty/RMA policies, but are there any other consequences? Like disabled features?

Thanks.

I read yesterday that you may not be able to OTAs on the S5 if Knox has been tripped. I don't know if this is correct or not as you can't get OTAs if rooted anyways.

BLuFeNiX

Jan 18, 2013
I'm guessing a soft root exploit (without using Odin) would fix this problem. I think I'll wait a while and see if one comes out.

mrl0n3ly714

Jan 30, 2007
Tampa Bay
i rooted via method odin [SM-G900*] CF-Auto-Root
private mode working fine,finger scan, paypal .., everything is working as usual, no custom rom yet so far.

km8j

Dec 9, 2012
So when we lose ota ability.... Will someone here modify the update package so we can still get the update?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

TheArtiszan

Jun 12, 2009
I still think you get OTA for it if on stock roms, just won't update using kies if I am not mistaken.

fzammetti

Aug 21, 2008
www.zammetti.com
I still think you get OTA for it if on stock roms, just won't update using kies if I am not mistaken.

After tripping the counter you'll find that the check for updates under About doesn't work and gives you a message about your OS being modified. I confirmed that being rooted or not doesn't matter (unrooted, didn't fix it), using ART or not doesn't matter (flipped to ART then back, didn't fix it, also tried on another phone that never used ART, same thing), and modifying system files or not doesn't matter... it appears that once the flag is tripped you're done with *automatic* updates... what I don't know yet, since there hasn't been one to try, is whether we can still install an unmodified OTA file from recovery manually... it *may* just be the check that doesn't work but install still will, which would make this a non-problem in my mind. If it doesn't install though then yes, we'll have to look for someone to modify the OTA for us, or else we'll have to play the "wait for the tar, then flash image files individually and manually with ODIN from it" game (which may not work for the system partition depending on what you've done to it... at least on my previous Sprint S4, you *could* install an OTA if you were rooted so long as you hadn't changed anything else, and I *assume* the same will be true on a T-Mob S5).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

After tripping the counter you'll find that the check for updates under About doesn't work and gives you a message about your OS being modified. I confirmed that being rooted or not doesn't matter (unrooted, didn't fix it), using ART or not doesn't matter (flipped to ART then back, didn't fix it, also tried on another phone that never used ART, same thing), and modifying system files or not doesn't matter... it appears that once the flag is tripped you're done with *automatic* updates... what I don't know yet, since there hasn't been one to try, is whether we can still install an unmodified OTA file from recovery manually... it *may* just be the check that doesn't work but install still will, which would make this a non-problem in my mind. If it doesn't install though then yes, we'll have to look for someone to modify the OTA for us, or else we'll have to play the "wait for the tar, then flash image files individually and manually with ODIN from it" game (which may not work for the system partition depending on what you've done to it... at least on my previous Sprint S4, you *could* install an OTA if you were rooted so long as you hadn't changed anything else, and I *assume* the same will be true on a T-Mob S5).