[Q] Unlocking DS7

Search This thread

toolongtospell

Nov 4, 2011
Fort Worth, TX
Ok, so I work for this company that is mass selling these DS7... We have all types of the models come in, and I'm trying to figure out which ones can be upgraded to Honeycomb 3.2...

I know that the WiFi unbranded model can receive the OTA update, but the T-mobile WiFi is unable to receive it.

As far as I can tell none of the 3G models can receive the Honeycomb update. I have been reading around these forums today, and found out that (correct me if I'm wrong) carrier unlocked 3G models can be get the OTA Honeycomb update.

I have been looking at this software to carrier unlock the DS7 (Dell Streak Unlocker ), but don't know if it a one-time-use device specific unlock, or if I could use it to unlock many devices.

I know there is a lot of information provided here hidden in these forums, but I am at work, and I cannot spend all day looking for answers. If someone could just help me out I would greatly appreciate it.

TheManii

Wiki Admin / Inactive RC
Dec 8, 2010
If you're running into multiple S7's, could you report what roms are installed on them?
To find your rom version:
  • Go to settings -> about tablet
  • List the following:
    • OEM Version: GLUNB1Axyyyzz
      • X is your hardware model:
        (note that this isnt consistant below 340)
        • 1: US 4g
        • 2: EU 3g
        • 3: Wifi
      • yyy is your rom version
      • zz is your region
    • Build number:
    • Baseband ver:
      (if applicable)
Dell Streak 7 Official roms - XDA wiki
Dell Update Process - XDA wiki

You're likely going to run into a couple that I dont already know about,
I would like to ask if you could make nvflash dumps of them, but I'll settle for just rom info if you can do that much.

General breakdown:
From a hardware perspective: all S7's can be upgraded, they're all more or less identical internally (bar the modems)

From a software perspective, Tmo ones and wifi ones below 340 cannot be officially updated.

The unlocker software likely is one time use/per code.
I cant say it actually is because I've never tried, but it strongly sounds like it would be.

toolongtospell

Nov 4, 2011
Fort Worth, TX
First of series

I don't know how to perform a nvflash dump, but I can provide the system information. I will be posting different systems as I come across them. If there is a guide that you can point me to that shows how to get the nvflash dump I would be happy to gather that data for ya.

#1 DS7 T-mobile branded 3G (android version 2.2.2)
OEM - GLUNB1A133633
Build - 15420
Baseband - 11.810.09.06.00