Cant boot into recovery

Search This thread

nextelhalo

Jun 4, 2010
Hey guys, new to the forum and am looking for some guidance here. I've had my LGOG going great with CM11 and one day I put it on the charger when the battery got down to 1%. The next morning I grabbed my phone and it was off and refused to turn on. I was able to get it on by holding volume up + power and plugging it into a charger or PC but only when it was plugged in. I replaced the battery already to rule that part out. So now i've followed this guide and everything went fine,I flashed Teenybin SBLunlockhttp://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2230106. Only thing is for some reason i cannot boot into recovery mode, fastboot and download mode work fine but when i choose recovery from fastboot the phone shows a google logo and a small lock on the bottom of the screen and then turns off and show's the charging icon. I've been at it for hours and cannot get into recovery to flash a new rom.
My question for yall is am I wasting my time with this? I'm still not convinced that this is not a hardware failure since nothing on the phone works unless plugged into power. Any thoughts would help a ton otherwise i'll have to just cough up the cash for a new one. Thanks in advance guys.

Nex

Last edited:

engine95

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 14, 2008
Google Pixel 2
Google Pixel 4a
Hey guys, new to the forum and am looking for some guidance here. I've had my LGOG going great with CM11 and one day I put it on the charger when the battery got down to 1%. The next morning I grabbed my phone and it was off and refused to turn on. I was able to get it on by holding volume up + power and plugging it into a charger or PC but only when it was plugged in. I replaced the battery already to rule that part out. So now i've followed this guide and everything went fine,I flashed Teenybin SBLunlockhttp://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2230106. Only thing is for some reason i cannot boot into recovery mode, fastboot and download mode work fine but when i choose recovery from fastboot the phone shows a google logo and a small lock on the bottom of the screen and then turns off and show's the charging icon. I've been at it for hours and cannot get into recovery to flash a new rom.
My question for yall is am I wasting my time with this? I'm still not convinced that this is not a hardware failure since nothing on the phone works unless plugged into power. Any thoughts would help a ton otherwise i'll have to just cough up the cash for a new one. Thanks in advance guys.

Nex
Your battery was probably fine so I would keep it around. That just seems to happen sometimes.
The recovery that teenybins installs is not CM11 compatable. So you need to install a KK recovery, or ADB sideload a Stockish ROM.
For ADB sideload to install a Stockish Rom go here. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=36270473
To install a recovery through fastboot, DL it from here. http://downloads.codefi.re/shelnutt2/freegee/LG-LS970/ These are for KK
And to install it using fastboot.
fastboot erase recovery
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

You may need to do a factory reset to get it to boot.

---------- Post added at 06:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:56 AM ----------

Forgot to tell ya, just pull the recovery image from the zip and use it with fastboot.

nextelhalo

Jun 4, 2010
Your battery was probably fine so I would keep it around. That just seems to happen sometimes.
The recovery that teenybins installs is not CM11 compatable. So you need to install a KK recovery, or ADB sideload a Stockish ROM.
For ADB sideload to install a Stockish Rom go here. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=36270473
To install a recovery through fastboot, DL it from here. http://downloads.codefi.re/shelnutt2/freegee/LG-LS970/ These are for KK
And to install it using fastboot.
fastboot erase recovery
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

You may need to do a factory reset to get it to boot.

---------- Post added at 06:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:56 AM ----------

Forgot to tell ya, just pull the recovery image from the zip and use it with fastboot.

Thanks for the reply, this helped me get along with ADB and SDK but i'm still not clear on it. I've got the recovery image needed and ADB running but not sure how to flash the recovery image to the phone. I tried following the guide in the link you provided but it wants you to get into recovery mode on the phone and enable ADB mode but I cant get into my recovery on the phone. Problem. Again though thanks for you help, much appreciated. This learning process brings me back to my days of modding the old Xbox.

So just thinking about your last post, did you recommend installing a stock rom first and then try to install the new recovery image? I am able to put the phone into download mode and i've used LGNPST to push a full stock ZVB rom to it, seemed to work but I didnt know if that was the right way to go and flashed the Teenybin SBL unlock again.

Last edited:

engine95

Oct 14, 2008
Google Pixel 2
Google Pixel 4a
Thanks for the reply, this helped me get along with ADB and SDK but i'm still not clear on it. I've got the recovery image needed and ADB running but not sure how to flash the recovery image to the phone. I tried following the guide in the link you provided but it wants you to get into recovery mode on the phone and enable ADB mode but I cant get into my recovery on the phone. Problem. Again though thanks for you help, much appreciated. This learning process brings me back to my days of modding the old Xbox.

So just thinking about your last post, did you recommend installing a stock rom first and then try to install the new recovery image? I am able to put the phone into download mode and i've used LGNPST to push a full stock ZVB rom to it, seemed to work but I didnt know if that was the right way to go and flashed the Teenybin SBL unlock again.

You said you had fastboot. So you can use fastboot to load the kk recovery using those commands. If unsure just google it. Lots of info on fastboot.
As for sideload that was just to get a stock ROM on your SD.
If you lgnpst zvb then your phone should boot up and needs to update to zvc before you do anything else.
But if you flashed teenybins then you should have recovery and be able to flash the kk recovery. Power+ vol up gets recovery. Dn twice on vol button, then power gets you to recovery.
Check the FAQ and root guide. All this info is in there if it's confusing.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

nextelhalo

Jun 4, 2010
You said you had fastboot. So you can use fastboot to load the kk recovery using those commands. If unsure just google it. Lots of info on fastboot.
As for sideload that was just to get a stock ROM on your SD.
If you lgnpst zvb then your phone should boot up and needs to update to zvc before you do anything else.
But if you flashed teenybins then you should have recovery and be able to flash the kk recovery. Power+ vol up gets recovery. Dn twice on vol button, then power gets you to recovery.
Check the FAQ and root guide. All this info is in there if it's confusing.

I got ya, so I'm making sense of it all after a bit and I have more info if it helps. I've been able to get ZVB on there (via LGNPST) and i'll update to ZV9 just in case yet no matter what i do i cannot get recovery to boot. I get into fastboot and choose Recovery ( locked and unlocked) but when i hit the power button to choose recovery I get nothing, it shuts down. I'll keep at it and give a progress report if I make any.

UPDATE: Ok so I can only access (on phone) Fastboot when i flash one of the Teenybin files. The stock ZV9 and ZVB just show me the LG logo and go back to the battery icon. So, I flashed teenybin SBL unlock again got the phone into fastboot. I opened a terminal on my PC with ADB running and my phone in Fastboot connected to my PC (LG Drivers installed). When i choose adb sideload recovery.img and it says "device not found". Still working on it but havent gotten past this yet.

Im still wondering if there is hardware failure since I flashed ZVB and the phone still will not boot up period unless it's connected to PC/charger.

Last edited:

engine95

Oct 14, 2008
Google Pixel 2
Google Pixel 4a
Do this then. Grab the zvc bin from the root guide. That is the most current and it has the right modem. Zvb and zv9 have the wrong modem.
Also it sounds like you have stock recovery. Which you will if your using zv? bins.
Then after using zvc bin, use teeny bin. That'll get you to twrp recovery. In twrp flash the kk recovery and you should be good to go.

Reactions: nextelhalo

nextelhalo

Jun 4, 2010
Do this then. Grab the zvc bin from the root guide. That is the most current and it has the right modem. Zvb and zv9 have the wrong modem.
Also it sounds like you have stock recovery. Which you will if your using zv? bins.
Then after using zvc bin, use teeny bin. That'll get you to twrp recovery. In twrp flash the kk recovery and you should be good to go.

Gave it a shot, flashed ZVC and then after that did Teenybin SBL unlock and same thing. I get it into fastboot, choose recovery and then the phone show's a google logo with alittle lock on the bottom and then goes to black screen then to charging icon. :silly: I'll keep at it.

Update, a friend gave me some help and I was able to flash the recovery image you linked to me via ADB but still no change in the phone. On teenybin in fastboot, select recovery and still get the same google logo and small lock, then goes to power screen.

Haha, seems you've been down this road before. Found this while searching around, I'm giong to try the steps in the last two post's of the thread. Thanks for the help Engine.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2535874&page=3

UPDATE: unfortunately no change, left the phone on the charger for a few hours but still stuck with no usable recovery mode and phone only responds while plugged in. Think i'll chalk this up to some type of hardware failure.

Last edited:

engine95

Oct 14, 2008
Google Pixel 2
Google Pixel 4a
Will your phone even boot to the stock ROM? If it does, try installing Quickboot from the PlayStore. See if that'll get you into recovery.
I can't remember if it's in the root guide or the FAQ, but I posted another option for a battery issue like yours. Try it and see if it'll do more.
There's some commands that'll wipe through adb. I'll see if I can find them.

nextelhalo

Jun 4, 2010
Wont boot into stock Rom yet, man i wish i was that far along and i'd be done probably. Thanks for looking at it for me.

engine95

Oct 14, 2008
Google Pixel 2
Google Pixel 4a
Wont boot into stock Rom yet, man i wish i was that far along and i'd be done probably. Thanks for looking at it for me.
There's something we're missing here, so lets start at the beginning
LGNPST ZVC again. This SHOULD get you going.
Now you will have stock recovery. To enter stock recovery, press vol down+power The LG logo will come on, then the capacitive lights. Immediately let go when the capacitive lights turn on. It takes a few seconds to work. And maybe a few tries to get it.
IF that all happens, then in stock recovery, do a Factory reset. IT WILL WIPE YOUR SD/INTERNAL STORAGE!!
Now your phone should boot up to stock ROM.
If that doesn't work, go to ADB and issue these:
adb shell
"dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/cache"
adb shell
"dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/userdata"

These will zero out /cache and /data
Reboot your phone and it should boot up
If not, you may need to LGNPST ZVC one more time and you should be good to go
If no dice again, you might need to try a battery pull, which you should know seeing as how you replaced the battery. ;)

That's about all I got....you could also try getting on the irc and see if someone there has more idea's
Good luck! :fingers-crossed:

Edit: I forgot to tell you that in Stock recovery, use the capacitive menu key to select. The Power button doesn't do it in Stock recovery. Menu is the bottom right of the display and I don't think it's lit, but I'm not sure.

Last edited:

nextelhalo

Jun 4, 2010
Thank you sir, i'll give this a shot tonight when i get back home. I'll keep my fingers crossed but i've located another LGOG on Craigslist for 80$, might not be able to pass up that deal.

Update: still no go, I agree there is something missing here. When i flash ZVC all goes like it should but the phone still just flatout wont do anything unless on external power. I went ahead and did a battery pull but no change. It's like we're doing everything correctly here but it wont let us past fastboot or download mode. Either it's software or this thing may have fried. I'm going to bring it to a friend here in town and see what he can do, he's a guru in this department but I wanted to figure this out on my own. If we get this back up and running I will for sure update this thread, hopefully it can help some folks out there. Thanks again for the help Engine, I wont give up until i know exactly what happened and i'll pass it along.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.