Network Unlock your ATT SGS3 for free (howto)

Search This thread

rough company

Sep 23, 2014
same as you say

Would you please check something for me? Navigate Setting --> More --> About device --> Status Way at the bottom, below Up time, what is the value of "Device status"?

I have this theory that if the Device status is "custom" then the unlock code will not work. I may be wrong... this is only a theory of mine.

For my device I hope to find an pure AT&T image, with no root, no added software, no removed software... pristine. I'd like to flash it with ODIN and see if I can get the device status to change to... well, I'm not sure what, other than saying "not custom".

well mine is saying custom also

Reactions: wpscully

bikrtrash

Apr 23, 2014
Texas
I tried this on my AT&T S3 ver. 4.3
It's fully rooted and knox has been removed.

It did not work for me.....

Just an FYI....

Last edited:

audit13

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
This method requires you to be on stock 4.1.1 in order to use the free unlock method. Newer versions of the dialler had the hidden menu options removed.

Reactions: DelphinusMinor

DelphinusMinor

This method requires you to be on stock 4.1.1 in order to use the free unlock method. Newer versions of the dialler had the hidden menu options removed.

I was coming here to say just that. Hah. :D

Exactly. You must be on stock 4.1.1 in order to utilize this method.

Just flash back to that version, and then flash back to the current rom you are on now, or any other rom you prefer that is compatible with your phone. Simple. Good luck!

audit13

Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
You can't flash back to completely stock 4.1.1 if your phone has ever had stock 4.3 or higher. Downgrading from a 4.3 or newer bootloader could brick the phone.

Reactions: DelphinusMinor

audit13

Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
I found a Bell dealer with old stock and the phone had stock 4.1.2 which I promptly downgraded, unlocked, rooted, flashed CWM, and a custom ROM.

feelmjawlk

Mar 9, 2014
Last edited:

audit13

Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
I would just buy a code from ebay. Once you are on the 4.3 bootloader, you must use a code and be running a stock or very close to stock ROM in order to enter the unlock code.

Bionic22

Jun 17, 2013
Hey guys, need some help with my AT&T Galaxy S3

I'm up to the part of pressing PERSO SHA256 OFF

but when going back there's no option listed from the one in the instructions. The 4th option I get reads RAT_FREE_SUPPORTING_ON

Any help?

dawgdoc

Nov 27, 2013
Hey guys, need some help with my AT&T Galaxy S3

I'm up to the part of pressing PERSO SHA256 OFF

but when going back there's no option listed from the one in the instructions. The 4th option I get reads RAT_FREE_SUPPORTING_ON

Any help?

This only works if you are on the stock rom, 4.1.1 version with corresponding bootloader and modem. After that the menus change.
Although, there have been some reports of it working with 4.1.2 bootloader and 4.1.1 modem.
DO NOT downgrade to 4.1.1 if you are on 4.3 (MJB) or newer, you will brick your phone.

YasharF

Nov 21, 2010
Tricky unlock even when you have the right unlock code

I was just having this problem today and thought others may be looking here like I was. I re-installed "AT&T I747 UCUEMJB Stock Restore "stock 4.3 from enewman17's thread and did the following.
ATT has given me the same unlock code again and again. As a result of my extensive internet search, I found this and this worked for me. I unlocked my phone with the same unlock code given by ATT. Hope this would be helpful.

Inset a NON ATT sim and switch on the phone.

When it prompts you to enter the unlock code, dismiss the unlock code screen.
a. Go to the Dial pad and dial *#197328640#
b. Please click on number [1] UMTS > [1] Debugging screen > [8] Phone Control > [6] NETWORK LOCK
c. You will see 3 options
d. Please click on number [1] Perso Sha256 INFO, the screen will change slightly
e. Please hit the MENU button then when the menu pops up please carefully hit BACK to return to the previous screen
f. Next Please click on number [2] Perso Sha256 ON, the screen will change again to a one line message
g. Restart the phone on the screen by holding the power button and click RESTART
h. When the phone prompts for the unlock code simply enter the unlock code provided to you
i. Your phone is now permanently unlocked!

I confirm that these steps worked for me yesterday with the latest rooted AT&T 4.4.2 firmware and boot loader UCUFNJ1 as I also stated in http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s3-att/...nj1-update-t2941792/post58661440#post58661440 ; (the standard process that AT&T emails out with the unlock code did not work for me). Note that you must have obtained the unlock code (aka from AT&T after meeting their criteria) as stated. For me the very first step, (a) took 20-30 sec to bring up the service menu and I even entered the code *#197328640# a second time while waiting since I thought it didn't go through. This process is also posted on AT&T's official forum.

Last edited:
Reactions: catix

dirkdigles

Nov 23, 2010
Chicago
FYI:

Now you can get an unlock code from AT&T for free even if you're not a customer. As long as your phone meets the unlock eligibility requirements, they'll send you a code to unlock.

Proof? I am not an AT&T customer, and have an unused i747 that I wanted to unlock. I filled out their request form on Friday, and just received my code 30 minutes ago! And voila, my i747 is now unlocked.

Info: http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...u-sim-unlock-your-phone-heres-the-fine-print/

Here's the AT&T page:

https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/#/

Enjoy!

merlise

Dec 28, 2012
I wish I had known that a few days ago!!! lol, I bought an unlock code off ebay (for about 7 dollars, still hasn't come yet), but after doing it through AT&T it came in less than a few minutes :3

kamacete

Jul 31, 2006
hi, guys,
i have a GT-i9300 version 4.3
can you please can give me any help to unlock free?

thanks to all

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I just saw this on Reddit and tried it on my ATT SGS3. I used an old StarHub SIM I had laying around and it didn't ask for the unlock code, so I'm pretty sure it worked.

The instructions are for the GSM Note 2, but the author says it works for the GSM SGS3, too.

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=34661189&postcount=1

I think you have to be on a stock ROM to get it to work. I was running UCALH9, bone stock. Don't forget to thank the OP on the other thread!
    FWIW, after following the steps if you do it again when you get to this point
    " [3]Perso SHA256 OFF > (after choosing this option, wait about 30 seconds,"
    You will get a screen saying no change. This would mean that it worked the first time and your phone is already unlocked. I've done 5 S3's and checked with different SIM cards and it worked every time, 3 of those I went back and tried the steps a second time and all three gave me the no change message. Sort if a confirmation that it worked if you don't have another SIM to try.
    3 Bell S3s, 2 Telus S3s and tried on my S3 but got the no change right away as it was already unlocked when I bought it.
    FYI:

Now you can get an unlock code from AT&T for free even if you're not a customer. As long as your phone meets the unlock eligibility requirements, they'll send you a code to unlock.

Proof? I am not an AT&T customer, and have an unused i747 that I wanted to unlock. I filled out their request form on Friday, and just received my code 30 minutes ago! And voila, my i747 is now unlocked.

Info: http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...u-sim-unlock-your-phone-heres-the-fine-print/

Here's the AT&T page:

https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/#/

Enjoy!
    This method for unlocking your phone works perfectly after Jelly Bean update on Rogers sgs3.

Sent from my SGH-I747M
    just tried it everything seems the same any way to tell without putting in another sim?

I don't know. Since the SIM I had laying around was not a mini-SIM I had to chop it up, too. O_O

In theory you don't ever see the unlock prompt unless you insert a non-network SIM anyway, so I don't think there's any way to check without one.