Android 4.4 Galaxy S4 DISCUSSION

Search This thread

DreenHotdog

Jul 27, 2013
Alright guys, if you haven't already heard the awesome news, Google has finally released Android 4.4 KitKat along with the $350 16GB Nexus 5.

Let's make a few guesses, guys. From articles that I've read online, Google has already released open source AOSP sources for Android 4.4. The question is, when, do you think, we are going to receive this update officially on either TouchWiz or Google Edition models of the S4?

Also, since the source has been released, when do you think we'll see Android 4.4 KitKat in custom ROMs (CyanogenMod, AOKP, ParanoidAndroid, etc)?

Also, if you have any comments and questions, FEEL FREE TO USE THIS POST AS AN ALL AROUND DISCUSSION ON THE TOPIC OF ANDROID 4.4. THANKS!

Sent from my GT-I9505G using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

ve6ay

Nov 20, 2010
Alberta
According to the articles I read, it should be coming in the "next few weeks." I take that to read before xmas for the Google Edition ones.

For us lowly Canucks on Rogers, I figure we'll see it around July. =\

NighthawkXL

Mar 4, 2013
Florida
Considering most of us aren't evening running 4.3 yet I don't foresee AT&T rolling 4.4 anytime soon. Granted, those who are able to run custom rom's may be able to update to it in due time. But for the lot of us on MF3 we're going to fall behind unless by some miracle Samsung releases the keys at AT&T's discretion.

G

GuestX0019

Considering most of us aren't evening running 4.3 yet I don't foresee AT&T rolling 4.4 anytime soon. Granted, those who are able to run custom rom's may be able to update to it in due time. But for the lot of us on MF3 we're going to fall behind unless by some miracle Samsung releases the keys at AT&T's discretion.

Yeah mf3 folks are at a disadvantage. I am on mj7 4.3. And 4.4 may be a month away. But yes 4.4 for att is a ways off. IMHO

Sent From My SGH-i337 Using Tapatalk 4

DreenHotdog

Jul 27, 2013

Haha yeah, this is totally true. I'm extremely tempted to sell this S4 and get a damn Nexus, i mean exclusive updates and open source software - amazing!

gzrecoil

Mar 29, 2011
I bought a Nexus5 2 minutes into the sale. Going to be a hard decision whether to give it to my mom, or to give her my GS4, as she doesn't have a smartphone. I'm loving the google play edition rom on 4.3, and I'm not sure I'd want to part with the phone since it will get 4.4 anyway. The Google Play Edition really breathed life into the GS4 compared to the stock AT&T touchwiz 4.2 rom. It's like a completely different phone, except, unlike a custom rom, everything works, every time. No FC's.

DreenHotdog

Jul 27, 2013
I bought a Nexus5 2 minutes into the sale. Going to be a hard decision whether to give it to my mom, or to give her my GS4, as she doesn't have a smartphone. I'm loving the google play edition rom on 4.3, and I'm not sure I'd want to part with the phone since it will get 4.4 anyway. The Google Play Edition really breathed life into the GS4 compared to the stock AT&T touchwiz 4.2 rom. It's like a completely different phone, except, unlike a custom rom, everything works, every time. No FC's.

Yeah man, I feel ya! I'm actually running Kangabean GE 4.3 right now and a dual boot with the Omega 4.3 ROM. Touchwiz sure has its perks, but it just doesn't feel well and its quite ugly at times. Even though we don't get the cool air gesture features while running different forms of AOSP, I'd still say its safe to say that the S4 on Google Edition is one of the best phones to have. You have expandable memory and removable batteries, also hardware keys. The Nexus 5 lacks these things. I'm just hoping we get this 4.4 update soon, because I've been dying for it ever since it was rumored to come out! :)

Furies

Jul 12, 2010
I couldn't justify biting the bullet and buying the Nexus 5...mainly because the developer base for flagship Samsung phones (S2, S3, and now S4) is so active.

I just had to keep reminding myself that I always end up with the latest nightly of CyanogenMod on every phone I own...so id be buying hardware spec upgrades and not much else (in regards to software since CM is eventually going to absorb 4.4 in its source base)

Man was it hard to say no though.....

I'm very excited for the GE edition to be coming out soon

NighthawkXL

Mar 4, 2013
Florida
I couldn't justify biting the bullet and buying the Nexus 5...mainly because the developer base for flagship Samsung phones (S2, S3, and now S4) is so active.

I just had to keep reminding myself that I always end up with the latest nightly of CyanogenMod on every phone I own...so id be buying hardware spec upgrades and not much else (in regards to software since CM is eventually going to absorb 4.4 in its source base)

Man was it hard to say no though.....

I'm very excited for the GE edition to be coming out soon

I'm still up in the air about it, I love my Galaxy S4... but that Nexus 5 looks super appealing. I'm going to give it another week of thought before making my decision. Hopefully, if I got for the Nexus 5 it won't be sold out by the time I sell my S4.

Shawn7656

May 18, 2011
I was excited about the N5 until I read about the battery not being removable and that it STILL didn't have an SD slot...
I want to be able to service my phone if the battery becomes shot for whatever reason, and I don't want my class 10 32GB card sitting around uselessly...

Also, Paranoid Android is putting together builds already
https://plus.google.com/107979589566958860409/posts/EDz5GCxqgEM
According to them, the whole team bought the Nexus 5s!

DreenHotdog

Jul 27, 2013
I was excited about the N5 until I read about the battery not being removable and that it STILL didn't have an SD slot...
I want to be able to service my phone if the battery becomes shot for whatever reason, and I don't want my class 10 32GB card sitting around uselessly...

Also, Paranoid Android is putting together builds already
https://plus.google.com/107979589566958860409/posts/EDz5GCxqgEM
According to them, the whole team bought the Nexus 5s!

Yeah seriously! The non removable battery is just a bad design flaw and I can't wait until Paranoid Android releases their newest builds. Too bad CM says they aren't ditching Android 4.3 for 4.4. Obviously they're ruining their own competition and PA is going to be WAAY ahead of them.

EpicMango

May 15, 2013
Yeah seriously! The non removable battery is just a bad design flaw and I can't wait until Paranoid Android releases their newest builds. Too bad CM says they aren't ditching Android 4.3 for 4.4. Obviously they're ruining their own competition and PA is going to be WAAY ahead of them.

You know what I kind of hate?

I want "the perfect" Android phone

Essentially its a hybrid of the S4 with Removable Battery, MicroSD, all that Jazz with the build Quality of a Sony Z1, Camera of a hybrid of the HTC One with its ultrapixel sensor and Nokia Lumia 1020 41MP camera, the unlocked stock Andriod of a Nexus and the smoothness/design of iOS/iPhone.....

Sigh............

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have faith :)

Sent From My SGH-i337 Using Tapatalk 4

Thing is, I do like this S4, I even returned a new LG G2 for the S4, I couldn't get used to the G2 rear buttons, and it was heavier and wider than I wanted. Plus I was getting crappy battery on the G2 the one week I had it, less than 4h On Screen time, and dead in 12 to 14 hours. Must have had a defective unit.

Went to the S4, getting 5.5h On Screen time, and typically lasts me a full day easily. And this size and weight is just right to me, and I like turning on the phone with bottom thumb button. Plus call me crazy, I like AMOLED, tgr deep blacks and vibrant colors pop and look cool to me.

I am rooted on stock 4.2.2 with apps to help battery; Greenify + DroidWall + AdAway. And then using Nova + Wannam Xposed makes this S4 look like a Nexus, and is super smooth.

Just wudh I could freely install ROM's + Kernels like my older Samsung phones, and not use some crazy Safestrap thing, that can't even do 4.3 yet, let alone 4.4 GPE ROM.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using xda app-developers app

You know what I kind of hate?

I want "the perfect" Android phone

Essentially its a hybrid of the S4 with Removable Battery, MicroSD, all that Jazz with the build Quality of a Sony Z1, Camera of a hybrid of the HTC One with its ultrapixel sensor and Nokia Lumia 1020 41MP camera, the unlocked stock Andriod of a Nexus and the smoothness/design of iOS/iPhone.....

Sigh............

Dang, hopefully there'll be another series of developers who want to be on it as fast as possible. I need my 4.4! :p

We'll get 4.4 aosp builds in a few weeks no doubt, since 4.4 is coming to the Google Play Edition S4.

Hmm, they can't even get to the G4's we have, you may see it in aosp, but it will still have the bugs that have haunted those roms for years.