Galaxy Nexus Collaborative Optimal Color Settings

Search This thread

defconoi

Oct 31, 2008
SCHUYLKILL HAVEN
www.android-unleashed.com
Hey Guys, I've seen people's color settings all over for the Galaxy Nexus, we have different tools, different kernels and different ways to improve the Purple/Red/Tint Issues with Franco's App, Morfics, as well as free tools like Trickster Mod's App and the new CM10 Color Multiplier, Color Gamma Tuning, and Color Hack presets.

Goal: Have all this information in one place

I have created a Publicly Accessible Spreadsheet on Google Docs that you can edit without sign-in, please either
A:Edit the doc with your color settings or
B: Reply to this thread with your color settings for each different kernel and app and one of us in the thread may update the spreadsheet.
Also only reply if you can provide useful information regarding these issues.

I know allot of people are stuck with their Galaxy Nexus, so lets all work together on sharing our settings and tips/tricks regarding this since samsung still has not fixed the issue and still sends out devices with this issue. I've heard people go through 5-6 replacements, ouch.

Checkout the format of the spreadsheet, and feel free to improve it.

Collaborative Nexus Color Spreadsheet here

Other useful Screen Color Links:
[Tips] Screen Color Calibration for the Galaxy Nexus
Galaxy Nexus - Purple Tint + Grainy Screen
Trickster MOD app
Color Calibration. Before / after
Galaxy Nexus grainy and vertical banding screen!
Edit: If requested, I could make a Google Docs form to auto populate the spreadsheet

Anyone know of a way to disable the screen dimming on the notification drop down? When it dims on low brightness the notification and background is purple.

Last edited:

happymouse

Apr 8, 2012
No clue how to get rid of the screen dimming on drop down. You should watch out when running the higher contrast numbers, burn in is a spooky thing. I'm glad that a list of some type is being made (suggestion gathering has been abysmal), although every screen has it's own inherent faults and oddities, it will be very interesting to see the results. Thanks man.

TyroneLT

Jan 23, 2012
Thanks for this list. I've been messing around with color settings for awhile now with no success. I always felt like the screen had a tinge of green that I couldn't get rid of.

osm0sis

Senior Recognized Developer / Contributor
Mar 14, 2012
Halifax
GT-i9250
Google Nexus 4
Thanks for this list. I've been messing around with color settings for awhile now with no success. I always felt like the screen had a tinge of green that I couldn't get rid of.

Adding some red should help that. My problem is that there are a couple "hot spots" of yellowing and magenta that I have to strike a balance between. Went through a few different settings but posted my current to the spreadsheet.

Previous:

And I added a Gradient Fix column since I find using that mod changes what you need for color settings to make things nice.
Also worth mentioning that in some apps the OMAP Gamma runs on a 1.0-2.0 scale (by 0.2s) and in others 5-10 (by 1s), these are equivalent however.

Last edited:
Reactions: defconoi

8mileroad

Nov 5, 2011
Just wondering, isn't every screen at least slightly different? I'm pretty sure that's why there's color calibration, or the screens would come calibrated perfectly.

CADude

Nov 29, 2011
Just wondering, isn't every screen at least slightly different? I'm pretty sure that's why there's color calibration, or the screens would come calibrated perfectly.
There isn't a HUGE variation in the differences. Each screen isn't a special snowflake. There's a relatively small, finite number of different screen settings that work for all screens.

This will give people a narrowed-down list to try first instead of spending hours experimenting.

defconoi

Oct 31, 2008
SCHUYLKILL HAVEN
www.android-unleashed.com
Im finding my self having OCD in getting this perfect lol, just added another setting that I found pretty nice but there is still slight purple at 1-5percent brightness. Thanks guys for adding your settings to the spreadsheet, I think with enough data we can average the setting variables and find a good base setting

For me color is only an issue below 20 percent and sometimes lower depending on gamma settings, im finding that gamma and contrast seem to help more than the actual color multipliers

Edit: Just updated the spreadsheet with more settings others have shared on XDA, credits go to isinisterx, amit_sen
ÜBER™, for sharing their settings in other threads

Last edited:
Reactions: The Gingerbread Man

exzacklyright

Jan 25, 2011
Socal
This worked wonders for me

5af27d49db7b4f04a28994b.png

Last edited:

vkamicht

Apr 3, 2011
Really, the only purpose to document all these settings is for statistics. To show that more Nexus screens come with x-color tint than y-color. Even then, you're trusting people to know what white and gray are supposed to look like. I've seen how most people set up their TVs - they're usually wrong.

There isn't a HUGE variation in the differences. Each screen isn't a special snowflake. There's a relatively small, finite number of different screen settings that work for all screens.

This will give people a narrowed-down list to try first instead of spending hours experimenting.

It doesn't take hours, it's a pretty easy process:

Color multiplier is white balance, which also affects overall color tone. Get two things: a blank white screen, and a pure black screen with white text (settings is easy if you have gradient disabled.) Use these, and go with what you think white should be, unless you have a good reference or a calibration tool. For example, I dropped red/green because my screen was too yellow stock. I then found that I could still almost see the individual red pixels sticking out of text (best way I can describe it), and looking at my home screen felt a little too "pink", dropped red a little more until it looked fine.

Next is gamma/offset/whatever which is the adjustment of everything in between white and black. This one can be trickier because grays can easily look too red/brown, too blue, too yellow, etc. and on these screens the gray balance will change depending on brightness. Yes, sometimes drastically (see: purple tint) This can be a pain if you need to lower greens because green can't be lowered (the screen goes nuts), and the colors don't scale the same, so if you increase red and blue by the same amount one will probably be stronger than the other.

Just from my experiences. And yes, each screen is a special snowflake. Most people are just happy enough with canned settings.

Last edited:

strumcat

Mar 29, 2012
The only thing I would add to that is if you are going to eyeball the whites and grays without a reference, it's better to do it in soft, indirect daylight instead of artificial light, which has various color tints depending on what kind of bulb you use.

exzacklyright

Jan 25, 2011
Socal
Really, the only purpose to document all these settings is for statistics. To show that more Nexus screens come with x-color tint than y-color. Even then, you're trusting people to know what white and gray are supposed to look like. I've seen how most people set up their TVs - they're usually wrong.

It doesn't take hours, it's a pretty easy process:

Color multiplier is white balance, which also affects overall color tone. Get two things: a blank white screen, and a pure black screen with white text (settings is easy if you have gradient disabled.) Use these, and go with what you think white should be, unless you have a good reference or a calibration tool. For example, I dropped red/green because my screen was too yellow stock. I then found that I could still almost see the individual red pixels sticking out of text (best way I can describe it), and looking at my home screen felt a little too "pink", dropped red a little more until it looked fine.

Next is gamma/offset/whatever which is the adjustment of everything in between white and black. This one can be trickier because grays can easily look too red/brown, too blue, too yellow, etc. and on these screens the gray balance will change depending on brightness. Yes, sometimes drastically (see: purple tint) This can be a pain if you need to lower greens because green can't be lowered (the screen goes nuts), and the colors don't scale the same, so if you increase red and blue by the same amount one will probably be stronger than the other.

Just from my experiences. And yes, each screen is a special snowflake. Most people are just happy enough with canned settings.

What brightness setting should we test this on? My colors look fine it's just it's a bit dark on auto brightness which is at like 1/3 brightness

Mandated from Stannis Baratheon

harveydent

Feb 24, 2009
What brightness setting should we test this on? My colors look fine it's just it's a bit dark on auto brightness which is at like 1/3 brightness

I usually calibrate at maximum brightness, then double check if the settings are ok at 50% and minimum brightness.

You probably should do this on the brightness setting you're most regularly at.

vkamicht

Apr 3, 2011
I personally did my calibration at 50% as I almost never go above that (unless in direct sunlight.) I read in another calibration thread someone mentioned that with default settings 50% brightness is quite close to a "standard" brightness level (measured in IRE) - so I'm going on someone's word, but it looks good and natural to me.

You probably should do this on the brightness setting you're most regularly at.

Agreed with this, it'll be different for everyone

Last edited:

exzacklyright

Jan 25, 2011
Socal
I think mine looks better setting the trinity contrast to 10...but then again when i add a widget i can't even read anything.

a6fa4b1e-da45-f9af.jpg

Last edited:

osm0sis

Senior Recognized Developer / Contributor
Mar 14, 2012
Halifax
GT-i9250
Google Nexus 4
I think mine looks better setting the trinity contrast to 10...but then again when i add a widget i can't even read anything.

Screenshots don't really prove anything.. It's all in how your screen looks in person after compensating for the "special snowflakiness" ;)
Take a photo if you want to show us how different settings are affecting things.

exzacklyright

Jan 25, 2011
Socal
Screenshots don't really prove anything.. It's all in how your screen looks in person after compensating for the "special snowflakiness" ;)
Take a photo if you want to show us how different settings are affecting things.

I just noticed... haha true.. But that's the issue. I can't read the black on the gray.... while looking at my phone. What should I adjust?

exzacklyright

Jan 25, 2011
Socal
Still can't figure out what to change. The colors are fine but the darks are dark and hard to compare them to against each other

Edit: I'm stupid! I was using the lowest omap gamma..should be 1 right :/

Last edited:

deepayanneogi

Apr 15, 2012
Hyderabad
Currently using Paranoid 1.9.4 which is based on CM10 early preview , so comes with CM 10 default kernel : 3.0.36 .
Color multiplier : 1 , 1, 1
Gamma : RGB : 9:0:16 with DSS gamma : off
No trinity contrast applied ,

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey Guys, I've seen people's color settings all over for the Galaxy Nexus, we have different tools, different kernels and different ways to improve the Purple/Red/Tint Issues with Franco's App, Morfics, as well as free tools like Trickster Mod's App and the new CM10 Color Multiplier, Color Gamma Tuning, and Color Hack presets.

Goal: Have all this information in one place

I have created a Publicly Accessible Spreadsheet on Google Docs that you can edit without sign-in, please either
    A:Edit the doc with your color settings or
    B: Reply to this thread with your color settings for each different kernel and app and one of us in the thread may update the spreadsheet.
    Also only reply if you can provide useful information regarding these issues.

I know allot of people are stuck with their Galaxy Nexus, so lets all work together on sharing our settings and tips/tricks regarding this since samsung still has not fixed the issue and still sends out devices with this issue. I've heard people go through 5-6 replacements, ouch.

Checkout the format of the spreadsheet, and feel free to improve it.

Collaborative Nexus Color Spreadsheet here

Other useful Screen Color Links:
    [Tips] Screen Color Calibration for the Galaxy Nexus
    Galaxy Nexus - Purple Tint + Grainy Screen
    Trickster MOD app
    Color Calibration. Before / after
    Galaxy Nexus grainy and vertical banding screen!
    Edit: If requested, I could make a Google Docs form to auto populate the spreadsheet

Anyone know of a way to disable the screen dimming on the notification drop down? When it dims on low brightness the notification and background is purple.
    I am a changed man. This looks incredible on mine. This is line 32 on the google spreadsheet. The numbers look insane at first, but give them a shot.

Franco

disabled

Even at lowest brightness,*crisp and clear like it's supposed to be arzbhatia
    Think I've found new settings that correct my biggest issue with my new panel, how dark it is, and look better than the f.K defaults with better whites and colors at all brightness levels. :)

255 260 340
    -4 0 5
    Trinity -5
    OMAP + CAB disabled
    I'm going to post my numbers here si ce I did in Franco thread and a lot of people like them.

135 135 200
    0 0 0
    C.A.S Checked
    Trinity -10
    Omap Gamma 1.2

Best whites I've seen.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
    Found the right settings for my gnex with Trinity kernel and Trinity Kernel Toolkit. Went to the trouble of making a reference graphic I can trust in Photoshop. Then it was pretty easy. The main thing I found is that the gamma settings are far too low to see any detail in the near-blacks. Cranked all three gammas all the way up and then everything started to make sense.

contrast about -10
    cab off, spice off
    gammas all on 20
    multipliers all on 150

Simple as that. Looks excellent. White whites, black blacks, gray grays, good detail in the near-blacks and near-whites, colors accurate. Voila!