[Q] Cyanogenmod Compatibility

Search This thread

mikestrong19

Jul 21, 2012
I am attempting to root my old XT907 before I give it to a friend and I am somewhat confused on which software versions Cyanogenmod works with. The Razr M I have is at system version 98.16.3 with the option to upgrade to 98.30.1. The build number is 9.8.1Q-78-1. The Cyanogenmod wiki says that Cyanogenmod can only be accomplished on firmware versions prior to 9.20.1, but there are also articles saying that the phone can not be rooted on Android 4.1.2 (which I currently have). Should I update to 98.30.1 or stay at the current version?

EDIT: I am familiar with the overall root and custom ROM process, but I only have experience with Samsungs so far (I have rooted and put CM on a Fascinate and a GS3). I have worked with Odin, adb, CWM, and TWRP, but not SafeStrap or some of the other non-Samsung utilities, so please excuse my illiteracy concerning Motorola rooting and custom ROMs.

Last edited:

RikRong

Feb 16, 2013
Google Pixel 5
Google Pixel 6a
According to CM's wiki, CM is only compatible with an unlocked bootloader. So, if you haven't unlocked your bootloader, you won't be able to use it, even with SafeStrap. CM's compatibility is not based off system version, it's based off the system versions that allowed us to unlock the BL. 98.16.3 is the version that locked the bootloader. You can root on your current version and on the newest OTA, but you will only be able to use SafeStrap to load a very narrow selection of SafeStrap compatible ROMs.

RikRong

Feb 16, 2013
Google Pixel 5
Google Pixel 6a
Correct, although with the previous post being mentioned, you can safestrap and get cm10. When I ran cm10 on my end, it had only one issue that I know of which was the camera .

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using XDA Premium HD app

I think there was one, but no one can dig it up. The camera issue is caused by kernel incompatibility.

Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX HD using xda app-developers app

aviwdoowks

Sep 18, 2012
Correct, although with the previous post being mentioned, you can safestrap and get cm10. When I ran cm10 on my end, it had only one issue that I know of which was the camera .

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using XDA Premium HD app

Why do you not up load & post your ss version of cm to maybe the original thread? A cam could be found to work ? No? Btw, Mega is very good now.

Top Liked Posts