[Q]Battery: Dalvik vs ART

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

datallboy

Feb 7, 2013
I've heard the battery kinda sucks on the nexus 5. I'm wondering if ART improves it significantly or just a bit compared to optimized dalvik.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

RevelationOmega

Jan 30, 2014
Florida
I've heard the battery kinda sucks on the nexus 5. I'm wondering if ART improves it significantly or just a bit compared to optimized dalvik.

Either will do battery drain based on usage and the kind of usage. I personally use ART, no real issues of battery drain. If you observe severe drain, you can always try one of the great custom kernels floating around, great developers and can really maximize battery life more even for Nexus 5 battery.

eddiehk6

Dec 18, 2010
London
I've heard the battery kinda sucks on the nexus 5.

What are you basing this on? Just general perception? Or just a sweeping generalisation which applies to all Nexus 5's....

I'm wondering if ART improves it significantly or just a bit compared to optimized dalvik.

ART is going to eventually replace dalvik, but still in its infancy. It's not going to be a magic bullet to suddenly double your battery life, otherwsie we'd all be doing it..

How much difference it will make will vary for your usage, but I doubt it will be 'significant'. It could even make things worse. Experiment and see for yourself.

Battery life is based on how you use your device. It varies so much because there are so many variables, not just ART / dalvik.

It is still bound by the laws of physics...you can work out and understand what is using your battery before assuming that it must be awful or drain.

But in summary no, change your perception first: unless you actually have a defective unit, the battery does not just 'kinda suck'....

datallboy

Feb 7, 2013
I'm just curious because of different articles I've seen, I haven't received my devices yet. I own a nexus 7 and I'm use to the battery life I get from it.

Only reason why I'm wondering is so I can install xposed since ART doesn't work with it. If there's no battery difference, I'll just flash optimized dalvik and bionic patch and use dalvik.

ApriliaM3

Retired Senior Moderator
Feb 5, 2012
Bangkok
There are already at least 2 existing threads for this topic in the General forum HERE and HERE.
Please search first before creating new threads...
Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.