[How to] Unbrick after failed JB OTA or to just re-flash JB

Search This thread

aznmode

Jun 23, 2007
Guys first off this is not my work and have been digging around for answers. I had recently soft bricked my TF201 after OTA and my tablet gets stuck at the Asus logo. Finally found a fix. You will however lose root and I believe will factory reset the device but you dont need to be unlocked for this to work.

* you need fastboot access (see step 5) for this to work unfortunately

Got the instruction here on how to restore tf300 back to stock. It works the same for our tf201. Please thank Auliyaa for creating this.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1757077

Got the adb and fastboot from here and followed the instructions on how to install and use. I put the fast boot files in: C\android
http://dottech.org/21534/how-to-ins...ows-computer-for-use-with-your-android-phone/

Luckily JB has been posted today on asus website so grab it there. Extract it and get the blob. Copy the blob to wherever you have the fastboot files. In my case C:\android
http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=Eee+Pad+Transformer+Prime+TF201&p=20&s=16

This is the instrucion by Auliyaa from the first link. Updated some of the links to reflect the tf201. Some are repeats of above instructions so if it gets confusing I will edit. I'm going to post in that thread that this works on the tf201 as well.

1. Download the stock ROM zip file on (updated)Asus Website. Be sure to download the firmware matching your SKU.
  2. Unzip the downloaded file, you will get another zip, unzip this one too
  3. You should end up with a folder and a file, with one of them called blob
  4. For the next step, you will need to install the Android SDK to get the fastboot utility. (updated) Here
  5. Once you have installed fastboot, boot your tablet into fastboot mode (Plugin your tablet on your computer's USB, Hold down Power+VolDown, dont press VolUp when prompted, select the USB icon and press VolUp)
  6. Open a command line terminal and navigate to the folder containing the blob and fastboot files.
  7. Then type the following command:

fastboot -i 0x0B05 flash system blob

After write completion then just type the following command to reboot your tablet:

fastboot -i 0x0B05 reboot

fastbootcommand.jpg

That's it! I almost sent her off yesterday to Asus and kinda glad I waited. Thanks to Auliyaa for his method! I love xda!

Last edited:

T-HO6969

Feb 22, 2012
By the directory where the fastboot files are do you mean the C\ directory(Android Folder)?

aznmode

Jun 23, 2007
By the directory where the fastboot files are do you mean the C\ directory(Android Folder)?

You can put all the fastboot files into that directory along with the blob. Or any directory or folder you want to put the files into. And in command prompt you have to change directory to whichever folder you decided to put the files in.

For example. All the files I gathered from my 2nd link and the blob I put in C:\android. I created the android folder or you can create your own folder and name it whatever you want.

fastbootfiles.jpg

Last edited:

Antiflash

Jun 3, 2008
Quick question before I try it. Does this work if you were not unlock?. Mine was just an stock prime before getting bricked by the update.

Antiflash

Jun 3, 2008
I was not unlocked as I didnt want to screw up my warranty. But rooted isnt required either.
Sounds promising if unlocking is not required. I will try this tonight when I get home. I will probably have more newbie questions along the way because I'm pretty new to this procedures. Thanks a lot for putting this together and giving us some hope.

strabo100

May 15, 2011
Adb can't detect tablet and can't get to fastboot.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using xda premium

aznmode

Jun 23, 2007
Adb can't detect tablet and can't get to fastboot.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using xda premium

I don't think adb will work. Had the same issue. But mine was able to go to fastboot (try hold volume down then press reset hole). If you still dont have the 4 options (rck, android, USB fastboot, wipe) then you won't be able to do this procedure.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

tsmt971@yahoo

Oct 2, 2007
You are able to access fastboot which mean that you can flash the customized recovery such as CMW or TWRP? If anyone tried please share how it work?

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using xda premium

aznmode

Jun 23, 2007
Good question. I assume though that writing to boot will require unlock.

What I wanna know is if there's a way to bypass the signature check so i can go back to ICS. I don't see a lot of advantages with JB. I still get ANRs even after factory resetting and I can't keep my SD card in the dock as it causes random reboots.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Sjaakbanaan

Aug 13, 2008
Looks like I just bricked my Prime by installing the update (WW SKU from the official Asus site) via internal memory. One thing I noticed is that both the TW (Taiwan) and WW (worldwide) SKU were called 'WW' on the support site, which could cause some confusion I guess. I used the one with WW in the filename though.

It wasn't rooted or in any way 'unlocked', simply running the latest stock ICS.

Anyway, after installation it's now stuck at the ASUS logo, can't get into fastboot/recovery via volume down + reset via pin, and of course it's not detected by USB anymore. Anybody have any idea on what I can try next? Thanks in advance.

aznmode

Jun 23, 2007
You are able to access fastboot which mean that you can flash the customized recovery such as CMW or TWRP? If anyone tried please share how it work?

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using xda premium

I tried flashing twrp via fastboot and as I suspected its a no go. I get an error "device is incorrect state". Need to be unlocked to change the recovery.

extraneousleopards

Oct 13, 2012
Looks like I just bricked my Prime by installing the update (WW SKU from the official Asus site) via internal memory. One thing I noticed is that both the TW (Taiwan) and WW (worldwide) SKU were called 'WW' on the support site, which could cause some confusion I guess. I used the one with WW in the filename though.

It wasn't rooted or in any way 'unlocked', simply running the latest stock ICS.

Anyway, after installation it's now stuck at the ASUS logo, can't get into fastboot/recovery via volume down + reset via pin, and of course it's not detected by USB anymore. Anybody have any idea on what I can try next? Thanks in advance.

Same exact issue, bump

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Sjaakbanaan

Aug 13, 2008
Same exact issue, bump

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
I sent it to Asus for RMA. Since I was not unlocked or rooted, just running stock .. well.. JellyBrick?, apparently it was still covered by warranty.

From sending to receiving, it took 5 days (including 2 days of weekend - so actually 3 working days). They fixed it, installed JB (of course with full data wipe / factory reset), but also went the extra mile and replaced the rubber foot that was missing and the semi-broken USB cable, both of which I didn't specifically report or ask for.

So kudos to Asus, I'm a happy camper again!

aznmode

Jun 23, 2007
I sent it to Asus for RMA. Since I was not unlocked or rooted, just running stock .. well.. JellyBrick?, apparently it was still covered by warranty.

From sending to receiving, it took 5 days (including 2 days of weekend - so actually 3 working days). They fixed it, installed JB (of course with full data wipe / factory reset), but also went the extra mile and replaced the rubber foot that was missing and the semi-broken USB cable, both of which I didn't specifically report or ask for.

So kudos to Asus, I'm a happy camper again!

Not a bad turn around. Maybe theyre fixing less tablets these days. Did you send it to texas? I had an RMA ready for mine too till I got it fixed. I was afraid they were going to send me a totally different tablet and didnt wanna end up with one of the yellowed screens. Did you get the same one back?

JohnDaddyo

Aug 12, 2007
Ditto on the same logo screen issue.
Can someone point me in the direction of how RMA?
I really have no idea of how to start thr process.
I've been sitting with a bricked TP for a week now.

THANKS

Sjaakbanaan

Aug 13, 2008
RMA can be done in two ways (at least in my country): via the (web)shop where you got the Prime, or directly via Asus. Since my webshop stated that they don't cover software issues, I decided to play it safe and RMA directly via the Asus website. Just google 'Asus RMA' - I got this page but it's specific to my country: https://eu-rma.asus.com/pick_eu/nl/

Not a bad turn around. Maybe theyre fixing less tablets these days. Did you send it to texas? I had an RMA ready for mine too till I got it fixed. I was afraid they were going to send me a totally different tablet and didnt wanna end up with one of the yellowed screens. Did you get the same one back?
I'm in the Netherlands so my RMA was to the Czech Republic. It's the same Prime, actually it looks like they didn't even need to open it up, so it was a quick fix for them. I recognize my scratches (and the microphone is still broken because either they probably didn't notice or didn't want to open up the Prime - I didn't report it because I poked in it with a needle hoping that would 'fix' it, so it's probably out of warranty now).

Reactions: JohnDaddyo

aznmode

Jun 23, 2007

THANKS

Call the number from this list depending on your location and tell them the issue. They will have you try a few things like factor reset (power and volume down, etc) just to confirm on their end then they'll issue you an RMA and send via email. You have to print the form, fill it out and then send them the unit without any accessories. Safer that way. I've heard stories where people send the cable or charger and they dont get it back. It also says on the form not to include any accessories. They dont need them anyway since the issue isnt power related and they should have extra ones for testing your tablet if it runs out of battery.
http://support.asus.com/Hotlines.aspx?SLanguage=en

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnDaddyo

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Guys first off this is not my work and have been digging around for answers. I had recently soft bricked my TF201 after OTA and my tablet gets stuck at the Asus logo. Finally found a fix. You will however lose root and I believe will factory reset the device but you dont need to be unlocked for this to work.

* you need fastboot access (see step 5) for this to work unfortunately

Got the instruction here on how to restore tf300 back to stock. It works the same for our tf201. Please thank Auliyaa for creating this.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1757077

Got the adb and fastboot from here and followed the instructions on how to install and use. I put the fast boot files in: C\android
    http://dottech.org/21534/how-to-ins...ows-computer-for-use-with-your-android-phone/

Luckily JB has been posted today on asus website so grab it there. Extract it and get the blob. Copy the blob to wherever you have the fastboot files. In my case C:\android
    http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=Eee+Pad+Transformer+Prime+TF201&p=20&s=16

This is the instrucion by Auliyaa from the first link. Updated some of the links to reflect the tf201. Some are repeats of above instructions so if it gets confusing I will edit. I'm going to post in that thread that this works on the tf201 as well.

1. Download the stock ROM zip file on (updated)Asus Website. Be sure to download the firmware matching your SKU.
    2. Unzip the downloaded file, you will get another zip, unzip this one too
    3. You should end up with a folder and a file, with one of them called blob
    4. For the next step, you will need to install the Android SDK to get the fastboot utility. (updated) Here
    5. Once you have installed fastboot, boot your tablet into fastboot mode (Plugin your tablet on your computer's USB, Hold down Power+VolDown, dont press VolUp when prompted, select the USB icon and press VolUp)
    6. Open a command line terminal and navigate to the folder containing the blob and fastboot files.
    7. Then type the following command:

fastboot -i 0x0B05 flash system blob

After write completion then just type the following command to reboot your tablet:

fastboot -i 0x0B05 reboot

fastbootcommand.jpg

That's it! I almost sent her off yesterday to Asus and kinda glad I waited. Thanks to Auliyaa for his method! I love xda!
    RMA can be done in two ways (at least in my country): via the (web)shop where you got the Prime, or directly via Asus. Since my webshop stated that they don't cover software issues, I decided to play it safe and RMA directly via the Asus website. Just google 'Asus RMA' - I got this page but it's specific to my country: https://eu-rma.asus.com/pick_eu/nl/

I'm in the Netherlands so my RMA was to the Czech Republic. It's the same Prime, actually it looks like they didn't even need to open it up, so it was a quick fix for them. I recognize my scratches (and the microphone is still broken because either they probably didn't notice or didn't want to open up the Prime - I didn't report it because I poked in it with a needle hoping that would 'fix' it, so it's probably out of warranty now).

THANKS

Call the number from this list depending on your location and tell them the issue. They will have you try a few things like factor reset (power and volume down, etc) just to confirm on their end then they'll issue you an RMA and send via email. You have to print the form, fill it out and then send them the unit without any accessories. Safer that way. I've heard stories where people send the cable or charger and they dont get it back. It also says on the form not to include any accessories. They dont need them anyway since the issue isnt power related and they should have extra ones for testing your tablet if it runs out of battery.
    http://support.asus.com/Hotlines.aspx?SLanguage=en