[Kernel][CM][4.4.4][October 22] TinyKernel

Search This thread

tiny4579

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 15, 2011
This kernel aims to be close to the stock CM11 kernel, only including changes that I feel will benefit performance and battery life. I don't aim for this project to include [insert governor name / feature here] but am open to suggestions.

Changelog

• Synced with CM kernel as of 10/22 (WiFi driver updates - WiFi will only work with more recent CM builds)
  • Kernel support for F2FS (ramdisk will require changes as well as recovery support to format F2FS)

• Synced with CM kernel as of 8/16 (WiFi driver updates)
  • Re-enabled multiphase support

• Synced with CM kernel as of 7/11
  • Reverted ondemand changes back to CM/CAF
  • Added patches to ondemand to not be as aggressive under light load. This should improve battery by keeping the frequencies down at 384MHz a lot more often
  • pnpmgr fully disabled and removed.
  • Added scripts for BLN, toggle USB Force fast charge, and L2M.
  • Modified updater-script so it should properly flash on Verizon and Sprint now

• Synced with CM kernel as of 6/24
  • Switched back to CM ondemand governor but added multi-phase support
  • pnpmgr disabled - it shouldn't be used unless it is properly integrated with the ROM.
  • logo2menu (has to be enabled manually - please check notes about the keylayout file if you wish to use it)
  • BLN (disabled by default)
  • Sprint and Verizon should be supported (injects zImage into existing ramdisk and uses by-name to flash the new boot.img). Please provide feedback, especially on Sprint, as I don't have the device to test

1.0 (Initial Release)
  • Based on msm8690 kernel as of 6/19 commit
  • Add and enable multi-phase ondemand governor from HTC
  • enabled exfat support
  • patch for possible mmc queue bug - issue described here - https://lkml.org/lkml/2014/1/21/75

Please note I don't currently plan to include sweep2wake/logo2wake features as of right now. They use a method of IRQ wakeup on the touch screen driver that wakes it up every time you touch the screen. While pocket detection helps somewhat with it, it introduces a greater delay in waking up the screen, so I want to avoid that.

Source:

https://github.com/tiny4579/android_kernel_htc_msm8960

(branch: cm-11.0, config: m7_defconfig)

Downloads: (Dev-Host links below. Also available on downloads tab via xda DevDB)

tinykernel-m7-cm11-2.3.zip - 5.86 MB

tinykernel-m7-cm11-2.2.zip - 5.73 MB

tinykernel-m7-cm11-2.1.zip - 5.72 MB

tinykernel-m7-cm11-2.0.zip - 5.72 MB

tinykernel-m7-cm11-1.0.zip - 5.72 MB

Additional Info:

Starting with 2.1, I've added scripts for L2M, USB fast charge, and BLN. This should address some concerns about L2M by adding a script to enable it on boot and modify the keylayout file.

It also adds scripts for USB fast charge and BLN. All scripts require busybox and init.d support to apply automatically at boot.

All scripts are run from terminal emulator or adb shell (need to have root acess).

Type su to make sure that you have the root prompt (# instead of $).

USB Fast charge - doesn't stick on reboot
ffc

Enable BLN
bln enable
or
bln on

Disable BLN
bln disable
or
bln off

Enable L2M
l2m enable
or
l2m on

Disable L2M
l2m disable
or
l2m off

XDA:DevDB Information
[Kernel][CM][4.4.4] TinyKernel, Kernel for the HTC One

Contributors
tiny4579
Kernel Special Features:

Version Information
Current Stable Version: 2.3
Stable Release Date: 2014-10-22

Created 2014-06-21
Last Updated 2014-10-23

Last edited:

tiny4579

Jan 15, 2011
Hey I was just wondering if this kernel has CPU overclocking?

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

Nope, I don't see the need for CPU overclocking. I would like to get gboost working but when I messed with it a while back, I couldn't get the kernel to compile with gboost added in. I don't know the errors offhand.

H

Heinz Ketchup

Thx Great Thing, I'm curious how evolved the kernel :)
I've attached this thread in CM11

tiny4579

Jan 15, 2011
I might need to make some tweaks. I'm getting occasional stuttering when playing back regular audio.

If anyone is having or not having audio issues, please leave a comment and let me know either way.

Last edited:

tiny4579

Jan 15, 2011
There probably will be an update in the next few days. I'm not fully happy with the current ondemand governor as I'm seeing audio stuttering. Also, I can probably get Sprint support in with an updater-script update.

Reactions: Headless96

dbaler

Jul 5, 2012
Calgary
There probably will be an update in the next few days. I'm not fully happy with the current ondemand governor as I'm seeing audio stuttering. Also, I can probably get Sprint support in with an updater-script update.

Maybe to stuttering is caused by the I/O scheduler. I'm not a dev, but that's just how I always fixed it.

tiny4579

Jan 15, 2011

I modified updater-script to use by-name so the next version will work on on m7 variants.

I may have found a compromise with ondemand, so I'm giving it a whirl for a bit to see how this goes. I took the existing CM ondemand governor and cherry picked the multi-phase stuff I liked from HTC.

Reactions: arifqur

fluxgfx

Jun 1, 2011
Ottawa
www.cryovex.com
I modified updater-script to use by-name so the next version will work on on m7 variants.

I may have found a compromise with ondemand, so I'm giving it a whirl for a bit to see how this goes. I took the existing CM ondemand governor and cherry picked the multi-phase stuff I liked from HTC.

Good to know! I'm going to give the kernel a try. Other CM/AOSP kernel seem to disable by ability to use WiFi.

---------- Post added at 08:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:23 PM ----------

@tiny4579 it's definitely nice to see more AOSP Kernels. Looking forward to see how you'll make it progress.

law16

Oct 26, 2009
Great kernel , are you planing to add logo2menu at least ?

Looking forward to future updates

Sent from my One using XDA Free mobile app

ra9b

Dec 17, 2011
Atlanta
Great kernel tiny. Keep up the good work. I remember all your fantastic incredikernels from the HTC incredible back in the day. Keep it up.

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Free mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This kernel aims to be close to the stock CM11 kernel, only including changes that I feel will benefit performance and battery life. I don't aim for this project to include [insert governor name / feature here] but am open to suggestions.

Changelog

• Synced with CM kernel as of 10/22 (WiFi driver updates - WiFi will only work with more recent CM builds)
    • Kernel support for F2FS (ramdisk will require changes as well as recovery support to format F2FS)

• Synced with CM kernel as of 8/16 (WiFi driver updates)
    • Re-enabled multiphase support

• Synced with CM kernel as of 7/11
    • Reverted ondemand changes back to CM/CAF
    • Added patches to ondemand to not be as aggressive under light load. This should improve battery by keeping the frequencies down at 384MHz a lot more often
    • pnpmgr fully disabled and removed.
    • Added scripts for BLN, toggle USB Force fast charge, and L2M.
    • Modified updater-script so it should properly flash on Verizon and Sprint now

• Synced with CM kernel as of 6/24
    • Switched back to CM ondemand governor but added multi-phase support
    • pnpmgr disabled - it shouldn't be used unless it is properly integrated with the ROM.
    • logo2menu (has to be enabled manually - please check notes about the keylayout file if you wish to use it)
    • BLN (disabled by default)
    • Sprint and Verizon should be supported (injects zImage into existing ramdisk and uses by-name to flash the new boot.img). Please provide feedback, especially on Sprint, as I don't have the device to test

1.0 (Initial Release)
    • Based on msm8690 kernel as of 6/19 commit
    • Add and enable multi-phase ondemand governor from HTC
    • enabled exfat support
    • patch for possible mmc queue bug - issue described here - https://lkml.org/lkml/2014/1/21/75

Please note I don't currently plan to include sweep2wake/logo2wake features as of right now. They use a method of IRQ wakeup on the touch screen driver that wakes it up every time you touch the screen. While pocket detection helps somewhat with it, it introduces a greater delay in waking up the screen, so I want to avoid that.

Source:

https://github.com/tiny4579/android_kernel_htc_msm8960

(branch: cm-11.0, config: m7_defconfig)

Downloads: (Dev-Host links below. Also available on downloads tab via xda DevDB)

tinykernel-m7-cm11-2.3.zip - 5.86 MB

tinykernel-m7-cm11-2.2.zip - 5.73 MB

tinykernel-m7-cm11-2.1.zip - 5.72 MB

tinykernel-m7-cm11-2.0.zip - 5.72 MB

tinykernel-m7-cm11-1.0.zip - 5.72 MB

Additional Info:

Starting with 2.1, I've added scripts for L2M, USB fast charge, and BLN. This should address some concerns about L2M by adding a script to enable it on boot and modify the keylayout file.

It also adds scripts for USB fast charge and BLN. All scripts require busybox and init.d support to apply automatically at boot.

All scripts are run from terminal emulator or adb shell (need to have root acess).

ffc

Enable BLN
    bln enable
    or
    bln on

Disable BLN
    bln disable
    or
    bln off

Enable L2M
    l2m enable
    or
    l2m on

Disable L2M
    l2m disable
    or
    l2m off

XDA:DevDB Information
    [Kernel][CM][4.4.4] TinyKernel, Kernel for the HTC One

Contributors
    tiny4579
    Kernel Special Features:

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: 2.3
    Stable Release Date: 2014-10-22

Created 2014-06-21
    Last Updated 2014-10-23
    I remember you saying that you don't want to include the wake features, but can you please make a separate version of the kernel with them? I really miss them from sense. BTW it's a great kernel and I'm getting really good battery life despite it being kinda feature- heavy.

Thanks in advance

Sent from my One using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

First make sure you are on a recent CM nightly from the last few days (8/2 or 8/3 should be fine). The reason I ask this is I synced with CM yesterday and the screen on delay appears to be improved as of the CM build I flashed last night. Check the CM kernel to confirm whether the screen on delay has been reduced.

Feel free to flash this one to test. It has the wake features added.

I want to know
    1. How well it works for you.
    2. If the screen on delay is impacted negatively by this.

tinykernel-m7-cm11-2.2-test.zip - 5.73 MB
    FYI, 2.1 is live finally. This should address some concerns about L2M by adding a script to enable it on boot and modify the keylayout file.

ffc

Enable BLN
    bln enable
    or
    bln on

Disable BLN
    bln disable
    or
    bln off

Enable L2M
    l2m enable
    or
    l2m on

Disable L2M
    l2m disable
    or
    l2m off
    OK, kernel updated. WiFi should work on the more recent CM builds now (but not the ones before ~ 10/8).
    I wouldn't call it feature heavy. Not compared to elementalx. I don't.

But the wake features I don't want to do as that introduces a longer delay. Though I played with a recent build, stock kernel. So the screen on delay could be fixed. If that's the case, I may test the wake options.