[Q] Is here a non janky ROM for Verizon GS5

Search This thread

Dragonsla

Sep 2, 2009
I am very unhappy with my Verizon GS5 mainly because it lags and is so slow. I find it way more laggy than my GS4.

I have rooted it, is there a ROM to get rid of the nasty lag??

Also battery life has gotten worse it seems since ive had it, moderate use drains battery in 10-12 hours

jpcalhoun

Feb 24, 2012
South Central PA
I am very unhappy with my Verizon GS5 mainly because it lags and is so slow. I find it way more laggy than my GS4.

I have rooted it, is there a ROM to get rid of the nasty lag??

Also battery life has gotten worse it seems since ive had it, moderate use drains battery in 10-12 hours
Yes, there is. If you are rooted and have safestrap installed, or have a developer edition S5, there is a ROM in the Android Development by elliwigy that is heavily debloated and runs great. I've been running it for about a week now and it is as smooth as it comes, plus it is very lean in that most of the bloatware has been removed. However, if you use some of the Samsung "special features" such as Health or Fitness apps your out of luck because they have been removed, but you can always go back and install those apks if you'd like. And, unlike many ROMs, every primary function works (data, phone, Bluetooth, WiFi, GPS, camera etc). Give it a try, you're lag will be GONE.

fffft

Jul 16, 2013
Oxford English Dictionary: Showing 1-0 of 0 results for “janky”
Merriam-Webster Dictionary: The word that you've entered isn't in the dictionary.
Dictionary.com: janky - no dictionary results

I have no idea what janky is, if that is significant. Presumably it's slang as it isn't found in any major dictionaries. But lag is caused mainly by the bloat that Samsung and Verizon think you need. There are less custom ROMs tailored for Verizon (compared to carriers like TMobile) because Verizon uses a locked bootloader and was only recently rooted.

Elliwigy has a debloated ROM here that should be a lot faster. Or look in the Verizon S5 forum for other choices. Note that most custom ROMs will require rooting your phone. And may require employ a custom kernel or recovery. There are rooting methods that will not affect the Knox flag. But a custom kernel or recovery will trip the flag.

You should do some reading about Knox and decide if you care about it or not. Tripping the Knox counter may have warranty implications. Many carriers don't care about Knox, but I don't know Verizon's position on that.

Dragonsla

Sep 2, 2009
I have no idea what janky is, if that is significant. Presumably it's slang as it isn't found in any major dictionaries. But lag is caused mainly by the bloat that Samsung and Verizon think you need. There are less custom ROMs tailored for Verizon (compared to carriers like TMobile) because Verizon uses a locked bootloader and was only recently rooted.

Elliwigy has a debloated ROM here that should be a lot faster. Or look in the Verizon S5 forum for other choices. Note that most custom ROMs will require rooting your phone. And may require employ a custom kernel or recovery. There are rooting methods that will not affect the Knox flag. But a custom kernel or recovery will trip the flag.

You should do some reading about Knox and decide if you care about it or not. Tripping the Knox counter may have warranty implications. Many carriers don't care about Knox, but I don't know Verizon's position on that.

Sorry I mean like laggy and buggy.

I had a GS4 and it was less laggy/buggy than the GS5!

So I am looking to see if its maybe touchwiz? a straight Google ROM would run like a champ on a phone with this high specs.......right?

Last edited:

fffft

Jul 16, 2013
So I am looking to see if its maybe touchwiz?

I can tell you conclusively that it isn't touchwiz. It's the bloat. My (debloated) GS4 was not laggy. And my debloated GS5 is even smoother. Like butter. It has zero lag for anything. It just needed some pruning, turn off some animations, et cetera. A debloated /custom ROM is a huge improvement over stock.

But whatever. A Google ROM should be very smooth too. But it's a substantially different experience in features. You'd transform your S5 into a Nexus, rather than TW feature set. You need to decide if that matters to you.

Dragonsla

Sep 2, 2009
I can tell you conclusively that it isn't touchwiz. It's the bloat. My (debloated) GS4 was not laggy. And my debloated GS5 is even smoother. Like butter. It has zero lag for anything. It just needed some pruning, turn off some animations, et cetera. A debloated /custom ROM is a huge improvement over stock.

But whatever. A Google ROM should be very smooth too. But it's a substantially different experience in features. You'd transform your S5 into a Nexus, rather than TW feature set. You need to decide if that matters to you.

Sounds amazing. Gonna safestrap it on!