HowTo: Root your Motorola Droid X2 - UPDATED [14DEC2011]

Search This thread

Moon Shadow - NM

Jul 14, 2011
Albuquerque
Can somebody please help me? Running stock 2.3.4 and Windows 7 32-bit

The one click tool does not work for me. I followed the steps exactly but I get this:

"ERROR: adb could not be granted root access via local.prop method"

I tried doing it again and the same thing happened.

Then I followed the SBF tutorial, thinking that would help. I SBF'd and did a factory reset and tried the program again and it still did not work.

Then I tried doing the manual method and followed steps 1 through 4 (step 5 is missing?? or just numbered incorrectly?) and 6 through 11. When I type adb shell in the command prompt, I get " 'adb' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file." preventing me from moving forward with the rest of the steps. I have rebooted both my phone and my computer many times and reinstalled the drivers and everything.

If someone could please explain what I am doing wrong and help me root my phone, I would very much appreciate it. I've been trying for the past three hours now and am getting frustrated.

Thank you.

Okay, you are using Windows 7 32-bit (i686). Which means when ADB was installed, it was (more than likely) installed to C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools. First, verify where the android-sdk folder resides, then add the entire directory path, up to and including the platform-tools folder, to your path statement.

I have found the easiest way to see mistakes on my path statement is to copy the contents from that little box and paste it into Microsoft Word. Then using the Find and Replace function, I type in the find box the semicolon (;) and in the Replace box I type ^p (that is the caret symbol or <SHIFT-6> followed by a lowercase p). Hit the Replace All button; this will replace all semicolons with a Carriage Return .
moz-screenshot.png
FirstFindAndReplace.jpg

This breaks down the path statement into individual lines that is much easier to read and locate potential mistakes. At the end of the list you now have, type the path to your ..\android-sdk\platform-tools folder.

It should look something like this:
Code:
[/COLOR][/COLOR]%SystemRoot%\system32  %SystemRoot%
  %SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem
  C:\Program Files\WinSCP\
  C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools

Once you have that in place, redo the Find and Replace but switch the contents of the Find box with the contents of the Replace box. Hit the Replace All button and the string will go back to one line with the semicolons in place.

It should look something like this:
Code:
%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;C:\Program Files\WinSCP\;C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools;

Hit <CTRL-A> to highlight all of that mess and copy it. Then paste it into the box for the path statement.

Reboot your computer. Once your computer has come back up, open a command prompt and type adb. You should get a "help" screen on adb. Once you are there, now you can do the manual root method.

Also, a couple of other things:
1. You did install the drivers, right? It should show up under the device manager under ADB Interface as a Mot Composite ADB Interface.
2. If not, make sure your phone is unplugged from the computer and uninstall the Motorola drivers, try installing them again, then plug your phone back into the computer and see it if is recognized. If not, grab a different computer, if you can and try these steps there.

More than likely, it is a device driver problem. Does Pete's Motorola Root Tools see your phone when you plug it in?

Let me know if this doesn't work. I'll be out most of today, but I do have the XDA app. PM me if you have problems. Then, tomorrow we can get on IRC and try to get you fixed there.

Ciao!

Reactions: ralphman

ralphman

Jun 23, 2010
Moon Shadow

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you (been busy) but I just want to let you know that I finally got the manual root method to work!! Thank you for posting this tutorial, as well as all the other ones you posted. I will now be able to enjoy my X2 to the fullest. :)

Thank you :)

Moon Shadow - NM

Jul 14, 2011
Albuquerque
Moon Shadow

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you (been busy) but I just want to let you know that I finally got the manual root method to work!! Thank you for posting this tutorial, as well as all the other ones you posted. I will now be able to enjoy my X2 to the fullest. :)

Thank you :)

I'm glad to hear that and I'm glad to help! Congratulations!

Ciao!

pohunt

Nov 15, 2011
I followed the instructions and it says the root was successful, now what do I do. It looks like I have a new app call "superuser". How do I get rid of all the Verizon preloaded apps? My main goal is to use the mobile hotspot on my DroidX2, without paying Verizon $20 a month. Please help.

Install open garden from the market. Then install system tuner and in it you can freeze bloat apps

Sent from my DROID X2 using XDA App

No need at all to install system tuner(pretty hefty app just for freezing don't ya think?)
Just get "bloat freezer" its specific for freezing and it works on freezing ANY app and makes sure they stay frozen. It like liquid nitrogen.

ImgBurn

Aug 10, 2011
West Of Phily South Jersey
Moon Shadow,

I'd like to root my Droid x2 Gingerbread 2.3.4.
I just had a some ?s.
1 . PetesMotorolaRootTools come's with what verions of
Superuser & busybox do I need to update these after or
have them loaded before?
2. Is there anyway to backup system before hand whats
best way to go about it?
3. Can I Do This Nandroid Before Rooting?

Sorry for all the questions but i just like to be really
clear before I do this . Android OS (Linux) newB
Great toot BTW:)

Thank You To Much

pohunt

Nov 15, 2011
Thank you for your help Tomsgt. This is all new to me and I guess I don't understand all tricks to these phones, I mean computers with a phone app.

Moon Shadow - NM

Jul 14, 2011
Albuquerque
Moon Shadow,

I'd like to root my Droid x2 Gingerbread 2.3.4.
I just had a some ?s.
1 . PetesMotorolaRootTools come's with what verions of
Superuser & busybox do I need to update these after or
have them loaded before?
2. Is there anyway to backup system before hand whats
best way to go about it?
3. Can I Do This Nandroid Before Rooting?

Sorry for all the questions but i just like to be really
clear before I do this . Android OS (Linux) newB
Great toot BTW:)

Thank You To Much

Hey, no problem. Questions are good...

1. Pete's Motorola Root Tools comes with now outdated versions of the su (superuser) binary and busybox. Load them as is from the tool and update them in the market. (I fixed the tutorial on that. I over looked it on the first section... Thanks!)

2. Unfortunately, there is no way to back up your system BEFORE rooting it. AFTER rooting it, you want to make a nandroid backup (see my nandroid tutorial). If you hose it up (which is pretty unlikely, unless you have a power outage in the middle of a crucial step) you can always do a SBF restore (again, another tutorial I wrote).

3. I just answered this in the previous section. No, you MUST be rooted.

The long answer to number 3 is this: In order to use clockworkmod recovery (CWM) on ANY Android system, you need to be able to write files to the READ ONLY mounted /system partition. You can't mount the /system partition without having root (superuser) privilege. So, you need to add that to your system. In order to do that, you need to run the exploit that Pete's Motorola Root Tools makes use of to FORCE the su binary to the /system/xbin folder. If one was gutsy (savvy) enough to run a boot hijack on the phone (which I don't know how you would do that, because on a computer, you boot to the install media to do that), you could, in theory, push the su binary to the /system/xbin folder, or even better, rewrite the /system partition with a modified Linux filesystem with su built in. (That sounds easy, but, trust me, it's not.)

The bootstrap backup we use is a modified version of a full blown CWM backup. We hijack the power off charge screen to accomplish this bootstrap. It's ugly, but it works for us for now.

Please do not apologize for asking questions. The questions you ask will help another. As for Linux/Android... The PENGUIN ROCKS! (Look up the history of Linux and you will note that the moniker for Linux is a penguin.)

Ciao!

Last edited:
Reactions: ImgBurn

ImgBurn

Aug 10, 2011
West Of Phily South Jersey
Moon Shadow,

Thank you for your help in clarifying these points 4 me.
The root went flawlessly it was so fast it was done before I
knew it. Thank You:)

I still have a question on Superuser & Busybox. I known you
said to update them in the market. Researching these apps I see
a lot of negative review's on latest versions.
(Lost root on update,New version Bad,Used to be awesome...
Binary update is failing. Dont know why the app is getting updated
to a buggy version!, Installed even Su update fixer, no help.
Beautiful app. But last update of binary lost my root. )

Could you suggest the best version's of these 2 apps and
were to download them from. Or maybe which one to update
first?? Everything went so smoothly thank's to your excellent Tutorial's
I'd just hate to screw it up loading the wrong soft.:eek:

Thank U Thank U
ImgBurn:D

Moon Shadow,

Thank you for your help in clarifying these points 4 me.
The root went flawlessly it was so fast it was done before I
knew it. Thank You:)

I still have a question on Superuser & Busybox. I known you
said to update them in the market. Researching these apps I see
a lot of negative review's on latest versions.
(Lost root on update,New version Bad,Used to be awesome...
Binary update is failing. Dont know why the app is getting updated
to a buggy version!, Installed even Su update fixer, no help.
Beautiful app. But last update of binary lost my root. )

Could you suggest the best version's of these 2 apps and
were to download them from. Or maybe which one to update
first?? Everything went so smoothly thank's to your excellent Tutorial's
I'd just hate to screw it up loading the wrong soft.:eek:

Thank U Thank U
ImgBurn:D

I personally haven't updated the actual superuser app from market.
but I did update the binary it uses(don't have a clue what that's about yet.. just know it kept telling me it was outdated) from within the app.
The first time I had to grant permission to something it gives a notification in pulldown menu (has a "#" symbol) and I just update binary. I have no problems with superuser at this point so I haven't seen a reason to update the actual app.

Busy box...I run what came with eclipse(believe it is 1.19.gitadrynaline) but I have also updated to 1.19.2 before and have had no problem with anything.
Hope this helps in ur decision.

Plus. U can always make a copy of ur current superuser.apk and keep it on ur sdcard.
then after u update if something isn't working properly u can just delete the one in system/app and push back in the copy u made before updating.

skwoodwiva

Apr 24, 2011
Just to add to the ever changing topic: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1321582 is the only one step to root GB 2.3.5. Yet some have not been successful(Me on win7 included). I had to SBF to 234 use Petes and VooDoo rootkeeper then UD to 235. You just run RK AGAIN and you are rooted. Not sure though, if and when there is a 235 SBF, that the same would work?

Last edited:

Moon Shadow - NM

Jul 14, 2011
Albuquerque
Honestly, I only put information in the tutorial that I have personally done, that way I can answer questions. As of right now, I don't see a benefit to updating to 2.3.5, or at least I haven't seen any posts that make me believe that updating to it is beneficial. If someone has additional information on 2.3.5, I'd be happy to read it.

Sent from my rooted, deodexed, personalized, stock rom, Motorola Droid X2. What's with the locked bootloader Moto????

sytech55

Jan 21, 2011
Kuwait
Moon Shadow,
Great tutorial on rooting. Worked like a charm. Running 2.3.4.
I'm new to DX2. Just got it in the mail. Was tired of Samsung Continuum. Liked Continuum, but just wanted a bigger screen.

Now that I'm in DX2, looking to see what I can do to make it better from all you Devs

X0dus

Apr 17, 2011
Cornvoy
but I did update the binary it uses(don't have a clue what that's about yet.. just know it kept telling me it was outdated) from within the app.

The su binary is what is called when an app needs su rights. This is the reason you get the pop-up asking you to confirm or deny when an app needs su rights. Why it's updated is honestly beyond me other than new methods of requesting su rights by apps have changed and the binary needs updated to reflect that. I've never had issues updating the binary or app as so many others have reported.

Edit: I could have explained this a little better: an app calls su binary for su rights and the binary checks to see if the app has been allowed su right before. If not, then su.apk will prompt you to confirm or deny. I guess, in theory, if the binary is up to date and the apk isn't then possible su right allowance conflicts could arise? Never experienced that myself, though.

Last edited:
Reactions: ashclepdia

WVULTRA

Dec 2, 2011
Rooted a DX2

Just wanted to chime in and say I followed Moon Shadow's Tutorial and rooting the wife's X2 worked like a charm!

A huge THANKS to Moon Shadow for all his help; and for putting these Tutorials together.

;)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Moon Shadow's Droid X2 Tutorials - HowTo: Root your Motorola Droid X2

Please keep in mind that this tutorial is specifically for the Motorola Droid X2 running any version of Gingerbread 2.3.4 and below. :D This procedure MIGHT work for other phones, however, I would not recommend taking the risk of bricking, or even soft bricking, your phone.

Standard disclaimer: I, nor XDA Forums, are responsible for what you do to your phone. Just because these tutorials work for me, does not mean that they will work for you.

I make no claims to be the original owner of this process. :D I am just consolidating the process into an easy to follow (hopefully) guide that will help everyone from noobs to experienced users.

This tutorial has been adapted from the post: [16/Nov][ROOTING/UNROOTING] DooMLoRD's Easy Rooting Toolkit [v3.0](zergRush Exploit by DooMLoRD.

Unrooting is covered at the end of this post.

This method uses Windows! :eek: (I know, I'm a Linux guy, but...) If you have a Mac or a Linux box, use Pete's One Click Root for Linux and OSX - Droid 3. I have not tried it as my Linux system crashed several months ago and I do not have the funds to purchase new hardware or fix it. I can try to assist as I am a mixed environment System Administrator, however, I make absolutely no claims of being a guru. :cool: I have heard (not substantiated) that people are having success using Virtual Box. I highly recommend Virtual Box as it seems to be the only free virtualizing environment that supports accessing hardware directly, as long as Linux sees the hardware, Virtual Box and use it (for the most part).

I am making some assumptions in this tutorial:
    1. You understand and are comfortable with installing software on a Windows computer.
    eek.gif

2. You understand and are comfortable with downloading programs.
    eek.gif

3. You understand and are comfortable with extracting compressed files (*.zip, *.rar *.7z, etc.) (I recommend 7zip to extract all compress files.)
    eek.gif

4. You are willing to read this entire tutorial and ask questions if something is unclear to you, BEFORE you start this process. (Better to be safe than sorry.)
    confused.gif
    mad.gif
    eek.gif
    frown.gif

Now, on to the good stuff…
    biggrin.gif

Hints:
    Text in green are applications to launch or buttons to push within an application.
    Text in red are warnings.
    Orange is reserved for text that must be typed or copied. – Specific commands are also listed in code boxes.
    This process is for Gingerbread (2.3.x) ONLY! For the Froyo gingerbreak, see booked's thread: [REF] Roms, Root, SBF, RSD, Bootstrap, Mods.

I have performed this method for rooting my Droid X2 from both Windows XP (SP3) and Windows 7 Professional x64. After a system boot file (SBF) restore of 2.3.4. Tutorial on SBF is here: Moon Shadow's Droid X2 Tutorials - How to perform an SBF of your Motorola Droid X2.

1. First download the correct Motorola driver for your Windows system:
    a. Windows universal 32-bit Motorola drivers version 5.2.0
    b. Windows universal 64-bit Motorola drivers version 5.2.0
    2. Next download DooMLoRD's ROOT-zergRush: DooMLoRD_v4_ROOT-zergRush-busybox-su.zip (Older version: DooMLoRD_v3_ROOT-zergRush-busybox-su.zip).
    3. Install the correct driver and reboot.
    4. Once the computer comes back up, extract DooMLoRD_v4_ROOT-zergRush-busybox-su.zip.
    5. Make sure USB Debugging is enabled on your device. This can be accessed by hitting the Menu key and navigating to: Settings -> Applications -> Development and making sure there is a check mark in the box next to USB Debugging.
    6. Plug the USB cable into your phone and computer.
    7. Make sure your phone is in “Charge Only” mode:
    a. Drag the Pull Down Menu down
    b. Tap “USB Connection”
    c. Select “Charge Only” mode
    d. Click OK
    8. From the new folder you created, launch runme.bat.
    9. A command prompt window will open, make sure the phone is plugged into computer via the USB cable and press any key.
    10. zergRUSH will reboot your phone once it is done. Watch for errors. If there are none, you will be rooted. If there are errors, try re-running zergRUSH again.
    11. Once your phone is rooted, open the market and upgrade Superuser and Busybox. Busybox can be upgraded via the app from Stephen (Stericson) or JRummy16. Please, if you use these tools, purchase the Pro versions. This helps support our developers! Thanks!

People have asked about un-rooting their DX2. Here is what I posted in another topic:

I do not know about unrooting using Pete's tool. I haven't tried it. (But ashclepdia says it works just fine.)

There are two options that I know of to unroot your Droid X2. They are:

1. If you already have root privileges (and root/su works), using a root enabled explorer (I use File Expert) mount the /system folder in read/write (rw) mode and delete the following 3 files:
    a. /system/xbin/busybox
    b. /system/xbin/su
    c. /system/app/Superuser.apk

OR

In the adb shell, type the following:
    Code:
    mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
    rm  /system/xbin/busybox
    rm /system/xbin/su
    rm /system/app/Superuser.apk
    reboot
    (The reboot command will reboot your phone. If you are not done working with your phone or in the adb shell, just type exit, or keep working with ADB.)

2. The easiest, don't screw up your phone, put it back to "as stock as the day you got it", way is to do a data wipe and SBF. Performing a SBF restore is not difficult at all. See my tutorial: Moon Shadow's Droid X2 Tutorials - How to perform an SBF of your Motorola Droid X2.

Old rooting method (depricated but left in for information):
    This tutorial has been adapted from the post: [Gingerbread Root] Pete's Motorola Root Tools by infazzdar who reposted from the original post from Pete Souza at http://www.psouza4.com/Bionic/.

This method uses Windows! :eek: (I know, I'm a Linux guy, but...) If you have a Mac or a Linux box, Pete posted this:One Click Root for Linux and OSX - Droid 3. I have not tried it as my Linux system crashed several months ago and I do not have the funds to purchase new hardware. I can try to assist as I am a mixed environment System Administrator, however, I make absolutely no claims of being a guru. :cool: I have heard (not substantiated) that people are having success using Virtual Box. I highly recommend Virtual Box as it seems to be the only free virtualizing environment that supports accessing hardware directly, as long as Linux sees the hardware, Virtual Box and use it (for the most part).

I am making some assumptions in this tutorial:
    1. You understand and are comfortable with installing software on a Windows computer. :eek:
    2. You understand and are comfortable with downloading programs. :eek:
    3. You understand and are comfortable with extracting compressed files (*.zip, *.rar *.7z, etc.) (I recommend 7zip to extract all compress files.) :eek:
    4. You are willing to read this entire tutorial and ask questions if something is unclear to you, BEFORE you start this process. (Better to be safe than sorry.) :confused:
    mad.gif
    :eek: :(

Now, on to the good stuff… :D

Hints:
    Text in green are applications to launch or buttons to push within an application.
    Text in red are warnings.
    Orange is reserved for text that must be typed or copied. – Specific commands are also listed in code boxes.
    This process is for Gingerbread 2.3.3 and 2.3.4 ONLY! For the Froyo gingerbreak, see booked's thread: [REF] Roms, Root, SBF, RSD, Bootstrap, Mods.

I have performed this method for rooting my Droid X2 from both Windows XP (SP3) and Windows 7 Professional x64. Both on the initial 2.3.3 Gingerbread load when I received my phone, on the 2.3.4 Gingerbread over the air (OTA) update, and after a system boot file (SBF) restore. Tutorial on SBF is here: Moon Shadow's Droid X2 Tutorials - How to perform an SBF of your Motorola Droid X2.

1. First download the correct Motorola driver for your Windows system:
    a. Windows universal 32-bit Motorola drivers version 5.2.0
    b. Windows universal 64-bit Motorola drivers version 5.2.0
    2. Next download Pete’s Motorola Root Tools: PetesMotorolaRootTools_v1.07.zip
    The program still say's "This is version 1.06 of this tool, by Peter Souza IV. Exploit by Dan Rosenberg." What was updated was the version of su and busybox.
    3. Install the correct driver and reboot.
    4. Once the computer comes back up, extract PetesMotorolaRootTools_v1.07.zip.
    5. Make sure USB Debugging is enabled on your device. This can be accessed by hitting the Menu key and navigating to: Settings -> Applications -> Development and making sure there is a check mark in the box next to USB Debugging.
    6. Plug the USB cable into your phone and computer.
    7. Make sure your phone is in “Charge Only” mode:
    a. Drag the Pull Down Menu down
    b. Tap “USB Connection”
    c. Select “Charge Only” mode
    d. Click OK
    8. From the new folder you created, launch Pete's Motorola Root Tools.exe.
    9. Click the Root My Phone button.
    10. Pete’s Motorola Root Tools will reboot your phone a total of three times. At the end of the last reboot, Pete’s Motorola Root Tools SHOULD tell you that your phone has been rooted successfully. If it does not, follow the steps in the next section. (I had to do this after one SBF.)
    11. Once Pete's Motorola Root Tools tells you your phone is rooted successfully, open the market and upgrade Superuser and Busybox. Busybox can be upgraded via the app from Stephen (Stericson) or JRummy16. Please, if you use these tools, purchase the Pro versions. This helps support our developers! Thanks!

Manual root:
    If the preceding steps did not root your phone, follow these manual steps (it's kind of ugly, but it works). This process will install the Android Debug Bridge (ADB) and the Android Standard Development Kit (SDK). For a specific and customized HowTo on ADB Visit the [HOW-TO] ADB for Dummies(How-To Learner's Guide) post on XDA by VanillaTbone and download either the ADB for Dummies Guide or ADB for Dummies AIO(All In One) App by AndroidSamurai. (I think both VanillaTbone and AndroidSamurai are two different people, but I’m not sure. If anyone can clarify that would be great. Thanks!) Please keep in mind that these manual steps are specifically for the Motorola Droid X2. They might work on other phones, however, I take no responsibility for you bricking or soft bricking your phone by trying this.

1. Download and install the latest Java Development Kit (JDK) from Oracle. (As of this writing, 22OCT2011, Java SE Development Kit 7u1 is the most current version. PM me if there is a newer version so I can update this.)
    2. Download and install and configure the latest Android SDK from Google. Once installing the Android SDK, launch SDK Manager and download and install the "SDK Platform-tools". (As of this writing, installer_r14-windows.exe is the most current version. PM me if there is a newer version so I can update this.)
    3. For Windows XP and Windos 7 32-bit (i686), add the following to your path statement: C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools. For Windows 7 64-bit (x86_64), add the following to your path statement: C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools. The path statement is located by right clicking My Computer in Windows XP or Computer in Windows 7 and selecting Properties -> Advanced -> Environment Variables and locate PATH under System Variables. Double click the line and add a semicolon to the end, if there is not one there and copy and paste the above line to the end.
    4. Reboot your computer.
    5. Download DROID 3 easy root script v7.zip.
    6. If the following folder does not exsist, create it: C:\TEMP
    7. Then create a folder in C:\TEMP called MANUAL_ROOT
    8. Extract the Droid 3 easy root script v7.zip into the C:\TEMP\MANUAL_ROOT folder.
    9. Once you have rebooted your computer, open a command prompt. Yeah, you know, one of those DOS things… ADB is an Android tool, and Android is a fork of Linux. Get used to it. A bunch of typing is in your future, plus it’s good for you.
    10. Type the following command:

Code:
    adb shell
    11. You should receive an ADB prompt ending with either a # or a $.
    12. If the line ends with a $, then run Pete’s Motorola Root Tools.exe.
    13. Click the Run Temp. ADB Root Procedure button.
    14. The program reboots your phone three times, I think… Hey, I’m an old guy and my memory is failing me. Okay, maybe not that old, but that is my excuse! :p
    15. Once the process is complete, enter the following command:

Code:
    adb shell
    16. You should now have and adb shell ending with a #. If not, reboot your computer and Droid X2 and start again at step 13.
    17. Type the following command: (This remounts the /system directory on the Droid X2 as read/write, because the partition is mounted read only.)

Code:
    mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/system /system
    18. Type exit until you are back to the DOS C:\> prompt, then type the following: (The first changes directory to the C:\TEMP\MANUAL_ROOT directory, the push commands push the required files for su, busybox and the Superuser.apk app to the Droid X2, the shell commands set the read/write/execute (rwx) permissions on su and busybox and changes the owner and group on the /data folder to system, the reboot command reboots your phone.)

Code:
    CD \temp\manual_root
    adb push busybox /system/xbin/busybox
    adb push su /system/xbin/su
    adb push Superuser.apk /system/app/Superuser.apk
    adb shell chmod 4755 /system/xbin/su
    adb shell chmod 755 /system/xbin/busybox
    adb shell chown system.system /data
    adb shell reboot
    19. It may take quite a while (5-10 minutes) for your phone to come back up to the home launcher. Sit, relax, or better yet, walk away from your computer.
    20. Once the phone has booted, open the market and upgrade Superuser and Busybox. Busybox can be upgraded via the app from Stephen (Stericson) or JRummy16. Please, if you use these tools, purchase the Pro versions. This helps support our developers! Thanks!
    21. This concludes the tutorial for rooting your Motorola Droid X2.

Again, if you have any questions, or comments, either post them here, or PM me! Thanks all!

Ciao!
    2.3.5 can only be rooted with magic md5
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1818758

[How To] Root DX2 2.3.5/1.3.418 magic md5 method

Sent from my XT862 using xda premium
    Sbf is the "save all" so far for x2. And it's really only like 5 simple steps once u have rsdlite and moto drivers installed :)

I do not know about unrooting using Pete's tool. I haven't tried it. There are two options that I know of to unroot your Droid X2. They are:

1. Using a root enabled explorer, I use File Expert, mount the /system folder in read/write (rw) mode by typing this:
    Code:
    mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
    and delete the following 3 files:
    a. /system/xbin/busybox
    b. /system/xbin/su
    c. /system/app/Superuser.apk

2. The easiest, don't screw up your phone, put it back to "as stock as the day you got it", way is to do a data wipe and SBF. Performing a SBF restore is not difficult at all. See my tutorial: Moon Shadow's Droid X2 Tutorials - How to perform an SBF of your Motorola Droid X2.

Also, to everyone, I really appreciate the kind words. My intent it to help as much as possible, without being the complete techno-weenie that I am. :p
    Thanks! Let the mod know... Infact, who is the mod for this forum?

:)
    I am new and wanting to know how to do a complete system backup on my dx2 version 2.3.4 before i root the phone. Just let me know what i need to download.

Don't think u can
    BUT
    once u root
    just follow moonshadow other sticky tutorial on creating a nandroid backup
    BEFORE you do ANYTHING after u root.
    That way u will have yourself a stock rooted backup.
    Being rooted alone wont cause anything to change in your performance of the phone or anything. It just allows you to change system files and other tweaks etc... that you need root privileges to do.

Then if you ever want to unroot just restore your stock rooted nandroid backup and then sbf. And you will be back to complete stock unrooted with whatever data u had when u made the nandroid backup.

Is there some specific reason u want a "system backup" before rooting?
    Cause u can always sbf((it is VERY EASY)) and u will no longer be rooted..

Edit::
    Oh yeah! By the way! WELCOME TO THE X2:eek:
    Don't be shy...have fun...and dont feel left in the dark ;)
    U will see soon that this stuff isn't as scary as u may think...I have NEVER seen anyone brick an X2 to the point of no return....sbf os an amazing thing lol