[ROM] Helly Bean [4.1.1] (8/17/12) - Vibrant - DerTeufel1980

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

samsgun357

May 3, 2012
So the first time you flash it then reboot recovery and then flash again, then what happens?

Edit: you have to wipe, 1st flash will set up recognition for 2nd flash
Sent from my SGH-I897 using xda app-developers app

Toast6977

May 17, 2012
So as of 8/12 build I see no options to choose to store photos the camera app has taken to external sd.

Auto brightness not working.. not well or at all.

All in all this ROM is fantastic! If we had WiFi calling (tmobile) this would be unbelievable!

Sent from my SGH-T959 using xda app-developers app

samsgun357

May 3, 2012
So as of 8/12 build I see no options to choose to store photos the camera app has taken to external sd.

Auto brightness not working.. not well or at all.

All in all this ROM is fantastic! If we had WiFi calling (tmobile) this would be unbelievable!

The file setup might be different than what you are used to. Pics from camera should be in /sdcard/Dcim/camera which is internal also in jellybean you will see
/storage/sdcard0 (int.) and /storage/sdcard1 (ext.) sdcard0 and sdcard1are the new file system and are symlinked to
/sdcard and
/emmc

As far as storing photos, I'm not sure what you mean..?... you should be able to put them where ever.

sent from my magic box to yours

Last edited:

DerTeufel1980

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 31, 2011
Ok, I did all the steps above...
However, the install script is not detecting my phone as a Vibrant, but rather it shows "gsm", is there anyway to debug this?
What is it looking for to check for a vibrant phone?

Thanks

I'll ask krarvind to fix his recovery.
Please flash one of my kernels and then install it.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

samsgun357

May 3, 2012
Vibrant GPS sucks! I'm running this ROM on my captivate as well, it will lock on eight of eight birds in less than 30sec with 16ft accuracy inside my house.

bobn4burton

Jul 28, 2009
Was going to try and load this ROM. I'm currently on Passion ICS 13.1.

How do I know if I have a GB bootloader? I think I can handle the rest of the steps...but wasn't sure if my Passion ICS install included a GB bootloader or not...??

And does the Kernel version matter? I believe I'm currently on a KISS kernel.

fields_g

Jan 4, 2010
I came from passion to this also. Never loaded the GB bootloader. But if you want to check, turn off your phone and try to use key sequences to boot directly to recovery. If holding Vol UP+DOWN + Power then releasing Power at the Vibrant screen works, you have stock. If only holding Vol DOWN + Power then releasing Power at the Vibrant screen works, you have GB.

Unless a bootloader can improve a GPS, I'm running without any problems. Would really like to know why so many encourage doing the only procedure that could truely brick our phones if it isn't necessary. Maybe I'm a special case.... I don't know.... but I think it is work trying without and if for some reason it fails spectacularly, ODIN and then do a GB bootloader only when necessary.

imilleson

Feb 25, 2011
Virginia
www.sakalmedia.com
I came from passion to this also. Never loaded the GB bootloader. But if you want to check, turn off your phone and try to use key sequences to boot directly to recovery. If holding Vol UP+DOWN + Power then releasing Power at the Vibrant screen works, you have stock. If only holding Vol DOWN + Power then releasing Power at the Vibrant screen works, you have GB.

Unless a bootloader can improve a GPS, I'm running without any problems. Would really like to know why so many encourage doing the only procedure that could truely brick our phones if it isn't necessary. Maybe I'm a special case.... I don't know.... but I think it is work trying without and if for some reason it fails spectacularly, ODIN and then do a GB bootloader only when necessary.

Rainbow in my eyes ring a bell? Having what was referred to as rainbows back in GB if we didn't flash a GB boot loader is why it was a standard. I have been on GB bootloaders since then so I could tell you if there was a reason but I never get the rainbows lol. If the OP says jump, I usually do it unless I have good reason not too.

P.S. Odin is safe if your not a noob or your computer doesnt power off while flashing lol

Sent from my SGH-T959 using xda premium

grose65

Feb 2, 2011
york
In 812 have problems I can see birds in GPS but will not lock. What steps do I taka to improve this . Always get lock on ICS but not jb. Faster fix and the two GPS files don't help. What am I doing wrong. Thanks for the help. Everything is great about this ROM smooth and snappy.

imilleson

Feb 25, 2011
Virginia
www.sakalmedia.com
In 812 have problems I can see birds in GPS but will not lock. What steps do I taka to improve this . Always get lock on ICS but not jb. Faster fix and the two GPS files don't help. What am I doing wrong. Thanks for the help. Everything is great about this ROM smooth and snappy.

The best way to fix this is too purchase a new phone and use the vibrant as a backup. I can't afford that so I made the decision, Jellybean trumps working GPS

nafeasonto

Jun 19, 2009
The best way to fix this is too purchase a new phone and use the vibrant as a backup. I can't afford that so I made the decision, Jellybean trumps working GPS

Well that's crappy friggan' deal! I can't afford a new phone right now and rely on this dang GPS. WHat the HECK IS wrong with it. Why doesn't the kernel have options to clear GPS data, and or look for new GPS data somewhere else? This has been an ongoing problem with this dang phone since the beginning of time. I even did the SOLDER trick to get this to work. I am going to put a piece of copper wire on the contact to get stronger signal. Why does the GPS see like 5 sats, and not LOCK. What is that? God I am SO SICK of the GPS working on and off like CRAP. THe hardware is THERE and GPS CAN LOCK. It's getting to actually lock in a reasonable mount of time that is the challenge. What else can people possibly try. I would like to use this feature on the phone. People are just going to keep asking ans asking and asking and asking for this. There needs to be a sticky topic on this! There is none, i had to SEARCH on GOOGLE to find the topic.

imilleson

Feb 25, 2011
Virginia
www.sakalmedia.com
Yo calm down killer. Blame Samsung not the fantastic dev community for this phone. Samsung never released GB, ICS, OR JB for the vibrant and yet here we are. If you need a snappy GPS use Froyo. Bionic 1.3.1 had a sick GPS. Also if your OK with ICS use my boy Jrongi's MIUIv4 which is just about flawless and GPS works pretty good on it. If you like trebuchet launcher he included it next to MIUI so just choose default. Anyways mad props to @der for Hellybean , its the snappiest JB for SG1 I've used

fields_g

Jan 4, 2010
Rainbow in my eyes ring a bell? Having what was referred to as rainbows back in GB if we didn't flash a GB boot loader is why it was a standard. I have been on GB bootloaders since then so I could tell you if there was a reason but I never get the rainbows lol. If the OP says jump, I usually do it unless I have good reason not too.

P.S. Odin is safe if your not a noob or your computer doesnt power off while flashing lol

Never have seen a rainbow in my life with that bootloader. Here is my chain of upgrades over time:
OTA updates -> kies mini to Froyo -> momentarily CM7 (required step to go to Passion ICS) -> Passion ICS -> Hellybean 803 -> Hellybean 810

AFAIK Rainbows happened in early GB roms and the bootloader was a Kludge fix for that. That being said, if someone can tell me something I'm actually missing out on, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I see it stated on the Hellybean website, but would really like to know WHY. I'm not much for this "Herbal remedy"-like situation. Grandma told you to and the rest of the village does the same, but what is the science so we can learn. Are we actually curing something or are we eating garlic to prevent vampire bites? That being said... you can't argue with sucess if it is the only way to get the best result, no matter how little "science" there is available.

Reactions: imilleson

imilleson

Feb 25, 2011
Virginia
www.sakalmedia.com
Never have seen a rainbow in my life with that bootloader. Here is my chain of upgrades over time:
OTA updates -> kies mini to Froyo -> momentarily CM7 (required step to go to Passion ICS) -> Passion ICS -> Hellybean 803 -> Hellybean 810

AFAIK Rainbows happened in early GB roms and the bootloader was a Kludge fix for that. That being said, if someone can tell me something I'm actually missing out on, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I see it stated on the Hellybean website, but would really like to know WHY. I'm not much for this "Herbal remedy"-like situation. Grandma told you to and the rest of the village does the same, but what is the science so we can learn. Are we actually curing something or are we eating garlic to prevent vampire bites? That being said... you can't argue with sucess if it is the only way to get the best result, no matter how little "science" there is available.

Lol I laughed so hard from this that I almost got fired. My boss was like "what's so funny?!" Haha! Your hilarious bro. Yeah I agree, let's not carry on superstition. I assumed the GB bootlaoder was necessary just like being on CWM recovery 5+ to be on ICS or whatever version I can't remember. Anyways, if it works for you on stock bootloader, more power to ya

trippmcnealy

May 9, 2011
Denver, CO
Well that's crappy friggan' deal! I can't afford a new phone right now and rely on this dang GPS. WHat the HECK IS wrong with it. Why doesn't the kernel have options to clear GPS data, and or look for new GPS data somewhere else? This has been an ongoing problem with this dang phone since the beginning of time. I even did the SOLDER trick to get this to work. I am going to put a piece of copper wire on the contact to get stronger signal. Why does the GPS see like 5 sats, and not LOCK. What is that? God I am SO SICK of the GPS working on and off like CRAP. THe hardware is THERE and GPS CAN LOCK. It's getting to actually lock in a reasonable mount of time that is the challenge. What else can people possibly try. I would like to use this feature on the phone. People are just going to keep asking ans asking and asking and asking for this. There needs to be a sticky topic on this! There is none, i had to SEARCH on GOOGLE to find the topic.

Nafeasonto,

/s Let us know when you personally develop a Jelly Bean ROM that has a fast locking GPS! Really looking forward to it. Can't tell you how excited I am to see what you come up with. I mean all these other developers, clearly don't know what they are doing. Since Samsung has provided source code for all versions since the beginning and they have not had to figure everything out for themselves. /s

Reactions: gunks and imilleson

Woody

Retired Admin - Vacationing in Nanda Parbat
Nov 18, 2010
Immersed in Dark Matter
Well that's crappy friggan' deal! I can't afford a new phone right now and rely on this dang GPS. WHat the HECK IS wrong with it. Why doesn't the kernel have options to clear GPS data, and or look for new GPS data <Snip>
People are just going to keep asking ans asking and asking and asking for this. (Haha!!! You should take a look at the Passion thread. Jsut click on any random page and there will inevitably be some garbage about GPS) There needs to be a sticky topic on this! There is none, i had to SEARCH on GOOGLE to find the topic.

A simple search would have pulled up many many threads for GPS fixes. GPS on the Vibrant sux. Always has and always will. I have never been able to get full birds lock and down to anything less than 16ft and that is with the HW fix. Now that doesn't sound bad but if I were say Geo-caching on a cliff then, yes that is a problem.

IF you want "mostly" full working GPS, flash a Froyo ROM and theme it ICS style.

Here is a Froyo ROM
Here is an ICS Theme

I pulled these from another old thread as recent as last week.
You say that you couldn't find anything about the fix but I did a search this morning and found these:
GPS fix files for ICS roms
CORRECT Hardware GPS Fix
Do you want to get quick GPS lock in CM7 (which you link abouve in Step 1)
GPS Settings and Fixes
That's not to mention "Yet Another GPS Fix" (YAGF) that I couldn't find plus countless posts in almost every ICS ROM thread there is.

Now back to the important stuff.

Rainbows are as common as they used to be with the earlier ICS builds. Before Passion v8, they were commonplace if you did not have GB bl's. Then they figured out what was happening (inside CWR) and since then they are not *Required* although recommended by most devs and powerusers.

Plus the Recovery/Download mode key combos are waaayy easier. Sometimes when I Odin, it takes me 5-6 times to get into recovery with the dang 3 button combo and by the end, I am so sick of hearing the TMo boot sounds, that I am thankful that I am on Cincinnati Bell with no stock image.

tenantrep

Dec 27, 2008
Winter Park
@tenan, screenshot option? I don't have that option, only power, reboot and airplane. Am I missing something?

Sure no problem - Try Settings/System/Powermenu screenshot - click that - done!
JIM

---------- Post added at 10:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 AM ----------

I'll upload a zip for you later. I had integrated it, but then removed by fault.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2
Hey thanks again - look forward to that. You can PM it if you like. Great job!
JIM

Reactions: samsgun357
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Please note! Due to certain issues, as of 08/26 I have moved on to the official CM10. If time permits, I'll update this OP, but not making promises.

WARNING: This ROM probably still has intermittent emergency dialing issues. Do not use it for a daily driver when you're out or could need 911 or any emergency number. If you STILL choose to use it at those times, it's your own fault!

Let's get this out of the way:

This thread is for DEVELOPMENT! If you have non-development questions...which is just about everything that seems to show up anymore.....go to the following thread:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=28730705

From DerTeufel1980:

I want to present to you the Helly_Bean ROM. The following description is taken from the original thread over in the i9000 section. You can find his thread here:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1775169

This ROM is not the official built of CM10 by Teamhacksung.
    It is based on their source code, but with some modifications, to allow the use of /datadata partition

Many many thanks, to pawitp, FaultExeption, Jt1134 and all the other people who commit to gerrit. without these, this ROM wouldn't be possible

What's not working or known bugs?

[FIXED]- toggling the GPS repeatedly will reboot phone.

[FIXED]- mounting of external sd to pc (you can switch to mtp mode in recovery to "fix" this).

Build 08/20 is showing as available. I don't recommend dl'ing it as its caused many to have baseband issues. I've contacted Der to look into this, which I'm sure he will when time permits.

(08/17)New build available.

This is md5 sum:

cd703c25d560ce4c3d33cbfcab724427

Changes:
    - compiled from latest sources, but still using /datadata (going to be change probably soon)
    - renamed the two navbar menus
    - added Facebook sync (you have to install Facebook app before)
    - added i9000b to supported devices
    - (hopefully) fixed modem/baseband issue
    - added possibility to install devil kernel apps to installer
    - fixed mms for showcase

http://rootaxbox.no-ip.org/derteufel/Helly_Bean/rom/

Wipe not needed if flashing from a previous version, but is highly recommended. Be sure to flash the add-on also.

TF here.....I found, as often is the case, I had to flash the ROM and let it boot up, then go back in and flash the add-on. After that.....golden!

(08/15)New test build up now.

Why test build?

- Because I have added two new devices, for which I don't know if it is working well for them
    - I have fixed the navbar not appearing, but now there a two menus in system which both are named the same. One is for enabling, the other for customization. I am working at integrating the two into one menu, but I did not get it yet.
    - ffc support for Vibrant

Install process has not changed, but if you are coming from another ROM/kernel than mine, you should create a folder devil at your sdcard, place a file named device into it, and write your device name in it, valid names are:
    i9000
    cappy
    vibrant
    fascinate
    mesmerize
    showcase

users of mesmerize and showcase have to do this!

Other changes:

If devil app(s) are not installed, the menu is not displayed under system settings (many thanks to phillbring for coding me this).

md5sum is: 3b11a106529f10236d2e6139416bc346

http://rootaxbox.no-ip.org/derteufel/test/

Wipe not needed if flashing from a previous version, but is highly recommended. Be sure to flash the add-on also.

From TF: I love the Cid theme from Annex, but flashing his most recent version sent me into bootloops. I'm assuming he will update as soon as he has a chance.

(08/13) New instructions for flashing. Wipe not needed if flashing from a previous version, but is recommended. Be sure to flash the add-on also.

The files can be found at:

http://rootaxbox.no-ip.org/derteufel/Helly_Bean/

Install instructions:[/SIZE]

Coming from any other rom:
    - make sure to have gingerbread bootloaders. (Remember, Google is your friend)
    - wipe data/factory reset
    - flash allinone.zip
    - reboot recovery
    - flash allinone.zip again
    - flash Helly_Bean_AddOn or Helly_Bean inverted AddOn

coming from previous version:
    - flash allinone.zip
    - flash Helly_Bean_AddOn or Helly_Bean inverted AddOn

Attention: this is still a test. Don't flash it if you don't know what you are doing/how to get back!

For a new feature cherry-picked last night, go to settings --> system ;)

You can find the official website for this project here (I don't maintain the site myself, if there is anything website related to ask, please use the contact info from the web site):

http://hellybean.site11.com/download.html

You'll find download links and faq on this site.

The usual back-up, complete wipe (if this is the first time flashing this ROM), flashing of files and fix permissions applies.

One thing I noticed is that if you follow the normal flash procedure, it can bootloop, or at least appears as though it is. One way to fix that is to flash the ROM only and boot up you phone. Then go back into recovery and flash the add-on. That has worked every time it happened to me.

You can find the changelog here:

http://hellybean.site11.com/changelogg.html

For mirrors, please take a look at the thread. if you don't find any, just ask in the thread.

I really didn't want to mention this, but lack of experience by some members seems to require it:

If you are unsure of ANYTHING that goes with flashing a ROM, do research first. If you honestly can't find the answer, ask questions. We are not responsible for any action that happens to your phone.

Many thanks to:

- be18
    - mkalter, who got the first running JB ROM :)
    - elitemovil (who was the first who got gsm working)
    - stratosk (from who's initramfs I could start build my first JB booting kernel)
    - teamhacksung/pawitp for the ROM sources
    - team nyx who always have good tips for me, if i get problems with my kernel
    - SysTem-X for hosting
    - Rootax for hosting
    - RolluS for hosting
    - many thanks also to the other people who have created mirrors

- if i have forgotten you, please PM me

If you consider a donation for this ROM and kernel, please follow this link:

donate to DerTeufel1980

Now, from TFordham (you can just call me TF):

I've been using this ROM for some time now, and really happy with it. Personally, I think this is the best JB ROM out there. I find it very smooth, and for an early release, quite stable.

I do want to point out that I'm not a dev at all. The Helly Bean ROM is from DerTeufel1980 and his team. I put this up since his ROM is being mentioned in another ROM forum, but figured it might as well have its own home

Something else I want to be clear about is that I have no technical knowledge on creating ROMs, kernels or other things of this nature. I simply wanted to let other Vibrant owners know this ROM is out there. This fantastic XDA community is the place to ask, as there are plenty who know FAR more than I. In addition, DerTeufel1980 is active in this forum, ago if there are issues, he will help address them. While I appreciate the "thanks" button being hit, it is his comments in this thread that should be thanked.

i am uploading a new test build now.

why test build?
    - because i have added two new devices, for which i don't know if it is working well for them
    - i have fixed the navbar not appearing, but now there a two menus in system which both are named the same. one is for enalbeling, the other for custimation. i am working at integrating the two into one menu. but i did not get it yet.
    - ffc support for vibrant

install process has not changend, but if you are coming from another rom/kernel than mine, you should create a folder devil at your sdcard, place a file named device into it, and write your device name in it, valid names are:
    i9000
    cappy
    vibrant
    fascinate
    mesmerize
    showcase

users of mesmerize and showcase have to do this!

other changes:
    if devil app(s) are not installed, the menu is not displayed under system settings (many thanks to phillbring for coding me this)

upload will be finished in 1 hour. md5sum is: 3b11a106529f10236d2e6139416bc346
    http://rootaxbox.no-ip.org/derteufel/test/
    well, i am uploading the new "allinone" package now. it can be flashed on i9000, captivate, vibrant and fascinate (of course i only could test i9000 myself).

the needed version is detected automatically, but it is important, that you are running a kernel with correct default.prop (this is similar to build.prop, but for recovery).
    if you are using my kernel already, you don't need to worry about this.

if you are running a different kernel, and want be sure that all goes well, just create the file "device" at /sdcard/devil, so the full path would be:
    /sdcard/devil/device. write your device into this file (i9000, cappy, vibrant, fascinate)

you still need to flash the addons, because they don't change very often, and including them would be useless traffic for me and you.

the file can be found at http://rootaxbox.no-ip.org/derteufel/test/
    md5sum already is there, too. upload is taking about 30 min from now.

other changes:
    - compiled from latest sources
    - added nstools to settings menu (for testing, going to be replaced by devil kernel apps)

attention: this is still a test. don't flash it, if you don't know what you are doing/how to get back
    Helly Bean 0804 Fixed

I just found the problem that causes the Status 7 error when flashing HB 0804. There is a bad line in the updater.sh script. I replaced the updater.sh from HB 0803 and it flashed perfect. HB 0804 seems solid so far and it has working external sdcard mounting. HB 0804 also comes with a new Devil HB 1.1.1 kernel. I have slipstreamed the working updater.sh in to HB 0804 and tested and it works perfect. You can download the fixed HB 0804 from my shared mediafire folder below:

http://www.mediafire.com/?ai3fhfi3udw1pf9

Thanks Der you rock!
    I might be late to the party but who is going to maintain this thread?

According to TF:
    Please note! Due to certain issues, as of 08/26 I have moved on to the official CM10. If time permits, I'll update this OP, but not making promises.

My vote is for DerTeufel1980 himself (although he might be stretched a bit thin at this point), imilleson or Samsgun357.

Regardless of who it is that takes this thread on, it needs to be someone who is organized, a daily poster, not necessarily a Helly Bean daily driver user but someone who know WTF is going on with the different builds/kernels/processes...

No offense to anyone but since TFordham isn't supporting the thread anymore, this will spiral out of control and become miss-mash sooner rather than later. Also whoever takes it on should consult with Der on it as well and make sure he is willing to offer the same support as he did here. Don't know if this thread will be closed or not but IMO a new one should be opened and started fresh.

If you don't agree with me, that is fine. I am just sparking the fire so that progress can still be made.