*Root the Slide & Other HTC Devices*6/15/2010* How-To Updated 8/14/2010

Search This thread

Code3VW

May 1, 2009
This is still not working for me....

I suspect it has to do with the drivers for the phone. In device manager I have:

Android Phone > Android ADB Device

When I right click and go to properties, and then click on the Driver tab, this is the version currently in use:

Provider: Google, Inc.
Date: 8/11/2009
Version: 2.0.10.2

However, I have gone to C:\Android\ and ran SDK Setup.exe and have downloaded revision 3 of the driver.

I'm guessing revision 3 should have version 3.x.x.x not 2.0.10.2.

So...then I went to http://developer.android.com/sdk/win-usb.html and followed the instructions for upgrading the driver for vista, and still no dice...

Any ideas? This is on Win 7 Pro 64 bit.

Ok, so I uninstalled the driver from Device manager, restarted the computer, plugged in the phone, and watched what driver it installed...it installed an Android 1.0 driver...

GRRR!!!!!

ratchetrizzo

Jun 3, 2010
Newark, DE
so how do you VERIFY you actually have root after you do this?
I did everything, installed the superuser.apk when the phone rebooted, saw the icon on my apps list, click it and it's just a black screen with SUPERUSER PERMISSIONS

r0adki111

Dec 30, 2009
www.tacochicsalsa.com
Ok guys I was able to get it to root with ubuntu if anyone is interested. It's basically all the same, but I am noob enough to not know how to get a .bat file to run in linux so what I did was manually hit enter with "adb devices" typed in terminal and then the up arrow key and enter again over and over real fast until I got the desired result and everything else worked out fine. :)

heybobitsme

Sep 20, 2009
Orange County, CA
Ok guys I was able to get it to root with ubuntu if anyone is interested. It's basically all the same, but I am noob enough to not know how to get a .bat file to run in linux so what I did was manually hit enter with "adb devices" typed in terminal and then the up arrow key and enter again over and over real fast until I got the desired result and everything else worked out fine. :)

Ha! A manual loop! Nice

Sleef

Jun 2, 2010
Minneapolis
Christ. Good call. I do not have root. I have sweet **** all. I also have to leave my cave, er, house for the night. Tomorrow, then.

kingofyo1

Apr 6, 2009
gulfport, ms
negative, just tried it.. refused to work even though i has root, verified root actually... so i dunno on the titanium, but i do have an engineering build rom installed

TRF-Inferno

Dec 26, 2008
Carrollton, TX
Easiest way of testing for root is to get 'Terminal Emulator' from the Market. Run it, and it should take you to a blue window.

Type on the phone:

Code:
su

...and hit Enter. A little window should pop up, asking for permission. Select yes and you should see a '#' on the blue console window. That pound symbol verifies you have root access.

Thanks to eugene737 for the method, kingofyo1 for the video and yostinso for Mac instructions and some clarifications.

Got root, already have restored some apps with Titanium which I was too lazy to configure after manual market install.

So is the clockwork recovery now permanently in the phone? Any idea if we'll get RA's custom recovery? Can't wait until Wes publishes some custom ROMs, Espresso might have been a sweet idea, but the implementation/themes of the MT3GS suck!

PS. If you click on the Problems button in the main Titanium window it allows you to download and install busybox.

riles22

Aug 6, 2009
Minneapolis
ahhh i've rebooted and tryed to get "offline device" to stay up into recovery mode at least 200 hundred times and have reinstalled drivers multiple times :( i think i'm done for today... :mad:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I just replaced the update.zip and started in recovery, launched update.zip and all seemed fine. I already had root though and I have my sd card full so I can't try a2sd or sdparted yet but it seemed to run fine.

Sent from my ROOTED myTouch 3G Slide using XDA App
    Go to theunlockr.com and type in adb setup and start there.