[GUIDES] Fresh out of box Galaxy S 4G | Heimdall One-Click For Dummies

Search This thread

lumin30

Oct 19, 2011
[NOTICE] THIS THREAD CONTAINS TWO GUIDES:

• [POST #1] Fresh out of box Galaxy S 4G [SOLVED]
  • [POST #2] Heimdall One-Click For Dummies

[Note: You can use this guide where applicable - look for the bold section headers that pertain to the state of your device and go from there.]
--------------------
What I have on it fresh out of the box:

o To determine what you are currently running - Go to [App Drawer], [Settings], [About phone]:
  • -Model number: SGH-T959V
    Firmware version: 2.2.1
    Baseband version: T959VUVKD1
    Kernel version: 2.6.32.9
    Build number: FROYO.VUVKD1

o If your phone information is different than above (i.e. KB5) - this guide will work as long as Kies mini will recognize your phone. Kies mini WILL NOT recognize ROOTED devices.​
--------------------
What can I do:
  • -Upgrade to GB 2.3.6
  • -Back up efs Folder (Important!)
  • -Root
  • -Flash Custom Kernel (to obtain CWM)
  • -Flash Custom Rom
  • -Flash Custom Tweaks (cautiously as most custom ROMs have tweaks built in)
  • -Flash Custom MOD's.
--------------------
What should I know first:
  • -What is a ROM: Literally it stands for Read Only Memory, in this case referring to the phone's internal memory where your firmware/apps are stored. It is what you see and use when you are on your phone.
  • -What is a Kernel: The bridge between applications and actual data processing done at the hardware level. The kernel helps the ROM talk to the Hardware.
  • -What is the efs file: “This is a very sensitive system folder that contains Phone-specific information such as the IMEI (encrypted in the nv_data.bin), wireless devices MAC addresses, product code (also in the nv_data.bin), and much more.” (from XDA article)
  • -What is rooting: Allows you to make changes to your Android system, as well as enable you to use features that are otherwise locked away. (from Samsung Galaxy S 4G Wiki)
  • -ClockworkMod / CWM: A custom recovery allowing you to perform several advanced recovery, restoration, installation and maintenance operations that aren’t possible with stock recovery. (from here)

--------------------
Going from Stock Froyo (Firmware version: 2.2.1) to Stock GB (Firmware version: 2.3.6):
NOTES
* * I chose to go from Stock Froyo to Stock GB using Kies mini. This gives me the GB Bootloaders that I need to make it easier to flash a custom kernel and custom ROM’s.

* * Having GB already on the phone allows us to download SGS Kernel Flasher (must be rooted to use) from the app market to flash a custom kernel that will give me CWM5 and Voodoo Lagfix.

* * Also if anything screws up (i.e. IMEI), I can just take my phone back to where I bought it and get another one as this has happened to many… and fixes for it are not clear and work randomly but not for all. And unfortunately peoples phones have screwed up updating the way T-Mobile and Samsung tell you to update.
o How to check your IMEI:
  • -Go to [App Drawer], [Settings], [About phone], [Status].
  • -Towards the bottom you will see [IMEI].
o Let's get started:
  • -Download Kies mini if you do not already have it. When you follow this link you will see two tabs - 'Manuals' and 'Software ' - click [Software] and download.
  • -Make sure your phone is charged.
  • -Double check that USB Debugging is not enabled. Go to [Settings] > [Applications] > [Development] and UN-Check [USB debugging].
  • -Start Kies mini on the computer.
  • -Make sure phone is not connected to computer yet.
  • -In USB Settings on my phone I select [Kies (Firmware update)] if it is not set to ask every time.
  • -Plugged in phone, let device drivers install on computer. You will see a notification on your computer when complete.
  • -Then Kies mini will recognize the phone.
  • -Hit [upgrade] and wait.
  • -Phone will eventually reboot. Check your IMEI.
--------------------
I am on Stock GB (Firmware version: 2.3.6) now what:
NOTES
* * Some have learned the hard way the importance of making a back up of the efs folder on your phone. The efs folder contains important information about your phone and in the event any of the files in the folder are corrupted there is NO clear and concrete fix without a back up!

* * I use Super Manager
o Now let's back up our efs folder:

• -Open Super Manager on your phone and go into [File Manager].
  • -Select [Back up level folder] twice.
  • -Scroll down and look for your folder called [efs].
  • -Long press the folder and select [copy].
  • -Now look for [sdcard] and select.
  • -Now select the clipboard (or press menu, then paste) to paste to your sdcard.
  • -Now copy over to your computer for safe keeping.

o It is time to Root [CREDIT and THANKS TO SHORTFUSE FOR SUPERONECLICK]:
  • -Download the current version of SuperOneClick (as of 05/02/12 is SuperOneClick v2.3.3).
  • -Extract the contents of the .zip where you can find it on your computer.
  • -Open the SuperOneClick folder you just extracted.
  • -Make sure phone is in Debugging Mode. Go to [Settings] > [Applications] > [Development] and check [USB debugging].
  • -Connect your phone to your computer.
  • -Open SuperOneClick.exe. You DO NOT need to change any settings!
  • -Either [Donate Now] :) or select [Donate Later].
  • -Click [Root] and wait and keep waiting.
  • -Ahhh, Rooted!
--------------------
I am on Stock GB (Firmware version: 2.3.6), I have an efs backup and rooted now what:
NOTES
* * I need a custom kernel to give me CWM and Voodoo Lagfix.

* * The purpose of the custom kernel is to give us CWM to flash a Custom ROM. When we flash the Custom ROM - the Custom ROM will overwrite the kernel we flash now with the kernel included with the ROM.

* * Do NOT extract the contents of .zip files. When flashing - we flash the .zip.
o Let's get started:
  • -Go to market, download and install SGS Kernel Flasher
  • -Download your choice of kernel from the Galaxy S 4G Android Development section to the root of your sdcard. Links provided below.

o Kernel Recommendations as of 05/02/12:

o Let's flash the kernel:
  • -Open the SGS Kernel Flasher app.
  • -First select [backup kernel].
  • -When it if finished you will still be on the same screen and it will see a green vertical bar at the bottom of the screen next to - Backed up as.....
  • -Now select [choose kernel] and a file manager will appear.
  • -Select [parent directory] and you will be on the root of your sdcard.
  • -Navigate to the bottom and find the kernel .zip file you copied over.
  • -Once selected you will be back at the main screen of SGS Kernel Flasher.
  • -Select [flash kernel].
  • -The kernel will flash and your phone will reboot.
  • -You will hear Linda speaking on the Galaxy S 4G boot screen (only if this is your first time flashing a custom kernel).
  • -Wait and wait some more! She will keep talking to you!
  • -Eventually the phone will reboot.
--------------------
I am on Stock GB (Firmware version: 2.3.6), I have an efs backup, Rooted and have custom kernel with CWM now what:
NOTES
* * Now it is time for the Custom ROM!

* * Do NOT extract the contents of .zip files. When flashing - we flash the .zip.
o Let's get started:
  • -To make it easy for you to access CWM Recovery without having to do the button combination - You can download Quick Boot (Reboot) here: QuickBoot.apk (link is courtesy of FB)

o How to navigate in CWM Recovery - TWO Methods:
  1. -Using Side Buttons:
    • -To navigate up and down - use the Volume up and down buttons.
    • -To select - use the power button.
  2. -Using Soft Keys:
    • -To navigate down - use the [menu] soft key (first soft key).
    • -To navigate up - use the [home] soft key (second soft key).
    • -To Go Back - use the [back] soft key (third soft key).
    • -To select an option - use the [search] soft key (fourth soft key).

o First things First - Nandroid Back Up:
  • -In CWM Recovery - Navigate down to [backup and restore] and select.
  • -Then select [backup]. This will take a bit so wait until it is finished.
  • -Now you have a Nandroid backup (which also gives you another backup of your efs folder) and you will be back at the main screen of CWM Recovery.

NOTES
* * If you decide to try a different ROM other than the suggested ROM's below - please be aware there are Gingerbread-based ROM's and FROYO-based ROM's. At this point in the guide - you MUST select a Gingerbread-based ROM to flash.
o Custom Gingerbread ROM Recommendations as of 05/02/12:

-Follow install directions labeled 'ROM's WITH SGS4G CWM ROM Installer'

-Follow install directions labeled 'ROM's WITHOUT SGS4G CWM ROM Installer'
o Let's get started:

• -Download your choice GB ROM from your computer. Make sure the downloaded zip looks right (mainly size – I have had to try downloading two or three times to get the full zip for some reason).
  • -Copy [<< Name of Custom ROM you chose here >>.zip] to the root of your sdcard.
  • -Open [Quick Boot (Reboot)] and select [Recovery].
  • -If it is the first time using Quick Boot (Reboot) - you will need to allow superuser permission if this is the first time using the app.
  • -Your phone will reboot and you will be in CWM Recovery.

o Now let's finally flash the Custom ROM:
NOTES
* *A note before flashing - The steps to actually flashing the Custom ROM's change as new methods become available. As an example - SGS4G CWM ROM Installer by FB is now used when flashing newer ROM's.

* *FB's SGS4G CWM ROM Installer gives us a nice GUI (graphical user interface) when flashing ROM's. Thank you FB!

* *I will do my best to keep this guide up-to-date with the correct steps to flash the Custom ROM's recommended in this post - however if you notice something has changed - please PM me and let me know so I can up the guide!​

* * [DIRECTIONS] ROM's WITH SGS4G CWM ROM Installer * *

• -After the Nandroid Backup you should be on the main screen of CWM Recovery - navigate down to [install zip from sdcard] and select.
  • -Then select [choose zip from sdcard].
  • -Navigate down towards the bottom of the list that appears and you should see [- << Name of ROM you want to install >>.zip]. Select it.
  • -Navigate down to [Yes - Install << Name of ROM you want to install >>.zip] (sometimes the name of the ROM will be cut off due to the length of the name).
  • -Select the ROM and wait. The SGS4G CWM ROM Installer will appear and guide you from here.
  • -Being new to flashing - select [Quick] install when prompted.
  • -When SGS4G CWM ROM Installer is finished - your phone should reboot into your NEW CUSTOM ROM!
  • -In the event your phone does not automatically restart after SGS4G CWM ROM Installer is finished - select [***** Go Back *****] until you are back to the main CWM Recovery screen and select [reboot system now].
  • -Go to App Drawer, [Settings], [About phone], [Status] and check your [IMEI].

* * [DIRECTIONS] ROM's WITHOUT SGS4G CWM ROM Installer * *

• -After the Nandroid Backup you should be on the main screen of CWM Recovery - navigate down to [install zip from sdcard] and select.
  • -Navigate down towards the bottom of the list that appears and you should see [- << Name of ROM you want to install >>.zip]. Select it.
  • -Navigate down to [Yes - Install << Name of ROM you want to install >>.zip] (sometimes the name of the ROM will be cut off due to the length of the name).
  • -Select the ROM and wait.
  • -When installation is finished - select [***** Go Back *****] until you are back to the main CWM Recovery screen and select [reboot system now]
  • -Once rebooted into your new ROM - let you phone sit for 10 minutes to allow time for your caches to build.
  • -After 10 minutes - long press the power button and select [Recovery].
  • -In CWM Recovery - navigate to [wipe data/factory reset] and select.
  • -Then navigate to [Yes --delete all user data]
  • -When factory reset is complete - reboot and ENJOY!

NOTES
* * Most Custom ROM's will be de-bloated - meaning a lot of the stock apps you may or may not be accustomed to are removed.

* * If you would like to re-install a stock app that is not in the Custom ROM you just flashed - Follow this link - Stock GB 2.3.6 APK Repository, download the APK you want to install and follow the directions in the first post of that thread.​
--------------------
[TWEAKS] I am on Stock GB (Firmware version: 2.3.6), I have an efs backup, rooted, have Custom Kernel with CWM and have a Custom ROM now what:
NOTES
* * Now you can flash tweaks if you so desire!

* * Take note - Most Custom ROM's have tweaks built. As an example - icbinb 2.3.7_v2 has Universal Adrenaline Shotv14-1 cache scroll tweak built in. Read the first post of the Custom ROM thread you choose to determine what tweaks are built into the ROM.

* * Flashing more than one Tweak does not give the benefits of both Tweaks. The Tweaks are generally written to overwrite most of the settings that may already be on the phone. So - Pick a tweak and try it for a couple of days. And if you would like to try a different tweak go for it.

* * If you are on icbinb 2.3.7_v2 - To make it easy for you to access CWM Recovery without having to do the button combination - You can download Quick Boot (Reboot) here: QuickBoot.apk (link is courtesy of FB).

* * If you are on Valhalla - BlackEdition - You are now able to access CWM Recovery by holding down the power button. [Phone options] will open and you can select [Recovery] to easily access CWM Recovery.​
o Custom Tweak Options as of 03/02/12:

o Let's get started:
  • -Download the Tweak you have decided to try.
  • -Copy [<< Name of tweak you chose here >>.zip] to the root of your sdcard.
  • -Reboot into Recovery (refer to notes above depending on which Custom ROM you are using)
  • -Scroll down to [install zip from sdcard] using the methods previously given, then select [choose zip from scard].
  • -Go to bottom and find the name of the tweak you copied over and select it.
  • -Scroll down and select [Yes - Install << Name of tweak you chose here >>.zip].
  • -White letters will scroll and eventually say [Install from sdcard complete].
    • -Lightning Zap will now start SGS ROM Installer. Follow prompts. Select [Quick] Install.
  • -When finished select [*****Go Back*****].
  • -Then select [reboot system now].
  • -Let your phone sit for 10 minutes before using - most tweaks wipe your Dalvik Cache, which in turn, will rebuild itself properly by letting your phone sit. You may experience minor problems, lags, etc if you skip this step.

NOTES
* * To see the full benefits of most Tweaks - You need to give the Tweaks a day or two to settle in - or 'Soak In' as you will hear in the forum.​
--------------------
[MODS] I am on Stock GB (Firmware version: 2.3.6), I have an efs backup, rooted, have Custom Kernel with CWM and have a Custom ROM now what:
NOTES
* * Now you can flash MOD's if you so desire!

* * If you are on icbinb 2.3.7_v2 - To make it easy for you to access CWM Recovery without having to do the button combination - You can download Quick Boot (Reboot) here: QuickBoot.apk (link is courtesy of FB)

* * If you are on Valhalla - BlackEdition - You are now able to access CWM Recovery by holding down the power button. [Phone options] will open and you can select [Recovery] to easily access CWM Recovery.​
o Custom MOD Options as of 03/02/12:

o Let's get started:
  • -Download the MOD you have decided to try.
  • -Copy [<< Name of MOD you chose here >>.zip] to the root of your sdcard.
  • -Reboot into Recovery (refer to notes above depending on which Custom ROM you are using)
  • -Scroll down to [install zip from sdcard] using the methods previously given, then select [choose zip from scard].
  • -Go to bottom and find the name of the MOD you copied over and select it.
  • -Scroll down and select [Yes - Install << Name of MOD you chose here >>.zip].
  • -White letters will scroll and eventually say Install from sdcard complete.
  • -Let your phone sit for 10 minutes before using - most tweaks wipe your Dalvik Cache, which in turn, will rebuild itself properly by letting your phone sit. You may experience minor problems, lags, etc if you skip this step.

Last edited:

lumin30

Oct 19, 2011
THANKS bhundven FOR MAKING THE KJ6 HEIMDALL ONE-CLICK
AVAILABLE TO THE SGS4G COMMUNITY

- STEP BY STEP GUIDE FOR KJ6 HEIMDALL ONE-CLICK -

WITH BOOTLOADERS AND WITHOUT BOOTLOADERS

----------------------------------------------------------------

o Who should use this guide and do I need Bootloaders:
  1. This guide can be used when wanting to upgrade your phone to Gingerbread from Froyo:
    ----> Follow Directions for Flashing WITH BOOTLOADERS

2. This guide can be used if you flashed a ROM made for a different model phone (i.e. Vibrant):

3. If you don't know what Froyo is or do not know what ROM you currently have - to be safe:

4. This Guide can be used after flashing a Custom Gingerbread ROM and wanting to return back to Stock Gingerbread ROM:
    ----> Follow Directions for Flashing WITHOUT BOOTLOADERS

5. This Guide can be used between flashing Custom Gingerbread ROM's to lesson probabilities of problems:
START HERE - - WHETHER FLASHING WITH BOOTLOADERS OR WITHOUT BOOTLOADERS - - START HERE
IMPORTANT NOTES BEFORE YOU BEGIN:
* * When using Heimdall or ODIN - Designate USB Ports on your computer for each flashing program. Have one USB Port that you only use Heimdall for. Have one USB Port you only use ODIN for. This does not mean you cannot use the designated USB Ports for other functions NOT related to your phone. This is only for flashing with Heimdall and ODIN.

* * Always use a USB Port that is directly connected to your computer - NO USB Hubs or add-on Ports.

* * If possible - Start with a USB Port you have never plugged your phone in to. By doing this you will reduce your probabilities of running into problems.

* * If you have used your phone on every USB Port and/or have no idea where all you have plugged your phone into or used ODIN or Heimdall with - Download [usbdeview-x32.zip] for 32-bit operating systems or [usbdeview-x64.zip] for 64-bit operating systems. Uninstall anything you see that has Samsung and Android related.
o Let's get started:
  • Go to the following thread: [The T959V Heimdall One-Click Collection] <---- Link

• Look for [Download T959VUVKJ6 Stock UVKJ6] - After flashing this download you will have Pure Stock KJ6 Gingerbread. Ideal if you need to return phone for warranty purposes.

• Start the download, create a folder on your [C:\] Drive naming it [Android] and save [T959VUVKJ6_STOCK-UVKJ6-One-Click.jar] to [C:\Android].

• While the file is downloading follow this link: [Verify Java Version] <---- Link

• Click [Verify Java version].

Verify-Java.JPG

• Hopefully you will see the following:

Java-Verified.JPG

• If you do not - update to the latest version of Java.

• Now you should have [T959VUVKJ6_STOCK-UVKJ6-One-Click.jar] saved on your computer at [C:\Android] and you should have the current version of Java installed on your computer.

o Time to flash:
  • Go to the newly created folder - [C:\Android] - where you saved [T959VUVKJ6_STOCK-UVKJ6-One-Click.jar].

• You will see [T959VUVKJ6_STOCK-UVKJ6-One-Click.jar]. Inside the window - Hold down shift and right-click. In the menu that appears - select [Open command window here].

G9agQrH7

• The Command Prompt window will open and you will be at [C:\Android]. Type [java -jar T959VUVKJ6_STOCK-UVKJ6-One-Click.jar] and press [Enter] on your keyboard.

MxScQ23O

• It will pause, say [false] and run some commands.

9gRzFpnD

* * If you receive the error shown below - ['java' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.] - you do not have Java set as a System Path Variable.

* * Directions to fix this error are at the very end of this post.

Java-Cmd-Error.jpg

• If you do not [Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x86)] already installed on your computer - a window will open prompting you to install. Check [I have read and accept the license terms] and push [Install].

ugOtfWCR

• While [Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x86)] is installing - have your USB cable plugged into your designated Heimdall USB Port.

• Pull the battery from your phone. Then put it back in - also putting the back cover back on.

• Hold down the [Volume Down/Up] buttons on the left side of your phone. While holding both [Volume Down/Up] buttons plug in the USB cable into your phone. You should see the first image below for Download Mode - however you might see the second image instead - also Download Mode - if you are recovering your phone from a bad flash:

Download-Mode.jpg

• You should now be in Download Mode.

• After [Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x86)] is finished installing - Click [Finish].

q3IGEueB

• You will again see the command prompt window. At the bottom of the window you should see [Installing drivers] and a pop up prompting you to put your phone into Download Mode -- which you should already be in Download Mode if following the guide :).

MRHsS6yX

mlUww9mq

• Select [OK] and Zadig will open prompting you to install the necessary drivers to flash the One-Click.

kCXs3EU3

• In Zadig - Select [Options], then [List All Devices].

wvfVb3xb

• You will see [USB Receiver (Interface 0)]. Click your mouse where that appears and a drop-down menu will appear. Select [SAMSUNG USB Composite Device] and it will populate the box.

5Ioeo24c

• Now select [Reinstall Driver].

dTvv4fSX

• A window will appear - [Installing Driver...] - when completed you should be notified [The driver was installed successfully]. Select [Close].

NLTeJegW

j0TfrONK

• Close the Zadig window, Heimdall One-Click 1.3.1 window will open and it will say [Connected] with a green highlight in the lower right corner.

• Click [Flash] and Wait.

pPfE1JgF

• When Heimdall One-Click is finished working - your phone will reboot and run some code - then reboot again. You will see the T-Mobile splash screen and hear the T-Mobile jingle. Now wait again.

yMymFUK4

• When finished - you will boot into your freshly flashed Stock Gingerbread ROM - allow your phone to sit for ten minutes to properly build caches..

[*]If you are upgrading from Froyo to Gingerbread - You will reboot into a Rainbow Like Screen because you still need to Flash Bootloaders. You are OK and this is normal. Proceed to ADDITIONAL STEPS ONLY FOR THOSE NEEDING TO FLASH BOOTLOADERS in the box below.

• If you are flashing Bootloaders - Continue with directions in the box directly below.

* * START - ADDITIONAL STEPS ONLY FOR THOSE NEEDING TO FLASH BOOTLOADERS - START * *

• Leave Heimdall One-Click running.

• Unplug USB cable from phone. Pull the battery from your phone. Then put it back in - also putting the back cover back on.

• Hold down the [Volume Down/Up] buttons on the left side of your phone. While holding both [Volume Down/Up] buttons plug in the USB cable into your phone. Your phone will be back in Download Mode.

Download-Mode.jpg

• Heimdall One-Click will once again say [connected]. This time you are able to put a check mark next to [Flash Bootloaders]. Check the box.

Uf2TRVR9

• A window will appear warning you that [Flashing Bootloaders is Risky]. Select [Yes] and the window will close.

dJIvYNYj

• Now select [flash] one more time and wait.

• When Heimdall One-Click is finished - your phone will reboot, you will see code run on your phone screen, then reboot again into the ROM - allow your phone to sit for ten minutes to properly build caches.

* * END - ADDITIONAL STEPS ONLY FOR THOSE NEEDING TO FLASH BOOTLOADERS - END * *

CONTINUED DIRECTIONS FOR FLASHING WITHOUT BOOTLOADERS AND WITH BOOTLOADERS
  • Enjoy! Hit Thanks Below!

o When you are finished with Heimdall One-Click - your phone will now be running:
  • Firmware version: 2.3.6

Baseband version: T959VUVKJ6

Build number: GINGERBREAD.VUVKJ6

o Directions to ADD Java as Path Variable:
  • You first need to find the folder on your computer containing [java.exe]. For me - [java.exe] is in [C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin]. The location of this file is dependent on where you installed Java.

• Once the [java.exe] is located - notate the EXACT path [i.e. C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin] where the file is located.

• Open [System Properties] on your computer. How to open [System Properties] is dependent on your Operating System. However - you can access [System Properties] on most Windows machines by Right Clicking on [Computer] and selecting [Properties]. Please do a Google Search if you are unaware as to the method to access System Properties.

System-Properties.jpg

• In [System Properties] - select the [Advanced] tab, then select [Environmental Variables...].

• In [Environmental Variables...] - under [System variables] look for [Path] and double-click.

Env-Variables-Path.jpg

• In the window that opens - move to the very end of the text in [Variable value:] and add the path of the folder containing [java.exe] separated by a semi-colon. For me - I added [;C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin\] - no spaces.

Add-Java-Path.jpg

• Select [Ok] to all the windows you have since opened to make this change.

• You will need to close the previous [Command Prompt] window you opened when you received the error and open a new [Command Prompt] window.

Last edited:

hechoen

May 7, 2011
Staying away from odin is probably a good idea. It's how I learned and if you know how to use it fast. Maybe not the best for noobs but I still prefer it.

95Z28

Apr 29, 2011
Hopefully noobs actually read this one!
But man I used to love Odin. I never could understand how so many people could mess up Odin, seemed pretty foolproof to me.

Sent from my LG-P999 using xda premium

Reactions: Jerry D

lumin30

Oct 19, 2011
I never could understand how so many people could mess up Odin, seemed pretty foolproof to me.

I think they do not read enough (i.e. where to put what, what to check and not check) and aren't patient enough to let it finish (because it can sit for awhile and make you think it is frozen).

hechoen

May 7, 2011
Sucks that your phone got stolen. Don't know if would have helped or not but Lookout is a great app. Virus scan as well as phone locator. Free on market.

lumin30

Oct 19, 2011
Sucks that your phone got stolen. Don't know if would have helped or not but Lookout is a great app. Virus scan as well as phone locator. Free on market.

:rolleyes: I had it on my phone for a looong time. But kept flashing, have never lost or had a phone stolen and it didn't make it back on.

Last edited:

JuLes' MostWanted

Jan 25, 2012
Chicago, IL
Nice work lumin30

Sent from SGH-T959v using XDA premium

JuLes' MostWanted
°Developer in training :p
°Here to answer questions and help others.
°keep the forum in order.

Last edited:
Reactions: HakzTheEviL

Dylan08

Nov 22, 2011
Des Plaines
how do i flash the kernel

---------- Post added at 09:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:39 PM ----------

do i just put the .zip on the sd and go to recovery wipe cache and davlik cache

lumin30

Oct 19, 2011
What ROM are you running?

If u are on a GB ROM and rooted you can just download SGS Kernel Flasher from the market or you can flash the .zip in CWM.

If you read this guide you will learn how to do what you need to your phone without using ODIN or Heimdall.

Good luck.

Last edited:

lewis750

Aug 31, 2010
Thanks for a simple and logical explanation of the process. I upgraded to GB 2.3.6 using Odin and it works great. Now I'm ready to take the next step, but I have one question.

When I upgraded to the stock ROM, all my programs, screens, contacts, settings, etc. were intact just as they were in Froyo. If I flash a custom Kernel and ROM, will I have to reinstall programs, set up email accounts again, etc.?

Last edited:

lumin30

Oct 19, 2011
It depends what ROM you flash but yes you will likely lose your apps and data - which is often a good idea anyways to prevent conflicts with the new ROM.

You can use something like Titanium Backup to back up ur apps and data if you want. Though read up on the best ways to do that. Most apps have within them backups. That is what I generally do. I have found fresh installs of the apps themselves are best. And restoring settings and data within the app itself works well.

If you need more help please don't hesitate to ask.

Last edited:

lewis750

Aug 31, 2010
Edited. Sometimes in a long thread people may not be sure what you are responding to, hence the OP quote.

lumin30

Oct 19, 2011
Since you are on stock GB and rooted - find the section in the OP of this thread that says what to do with your phone on stock GB and rooted. It will talk about SGS Kernel Flasher.

Reactions: Dylan08

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [NOTICE] THIS THREAD CONTAINS TWO GUIDES:

• [POST #1] Fresh out of box Galaxy S 4G [SOLVED]
    • [POST #2] Heimdall One-Click For Dummies

[Note: You can use this guide where applicable - look for the bold section headers that pertain to the state of your device and go from there.]
    --------------------
    What I have on it fresh out of the box:

o To determine what you are currently running - Go to [App Drawer], [Settings], [About phone]:
    • -Model number: SGH-T959V
      Firmware version: 2.2.1
      Baseband version: T959VUVKD1
      Kernel version: 2.6.32.9
      Build number: FROYO.VUVKD1

o If your phone information is different than above (i.e. KB5) - this guide will work as long as Kies mini will recognize your phone. Kies mini WILL NOT recognize ROOTED devices.​
    --------------------
    What can I do:
    • -Upgrade to GB 2.3.6
    • -Back up efs Folder (Important!)
    • -Root
    • -Flash Custom Kernel (to obtain CWM)
    • -Flash Custom Rom
    • -Flash Custom Tweaks (cautiously as most custom ROMs have tweaks built in)
    • -Flash Custom MOD's.
    --------------------
    What should I know first:
    • -What is a ROM: Literally it stands for Read Only Memory, in this case referring to the phone's internal memory where your firmware/apps are stored. It is what you see and use when you are on your phone.
    • -What is a Kernel: The bridge between applications and actual data processing done at the hardware level. The kernel helps the ROM talk to the Hardware.
    • -What is the efs file: “This is a very sensitive system folder that contains Phone-specific information such as the IMEI (encrypted in the nv_data.bin), wireless devices MAC addresses, product code (also in the nv_data.bin), and much more.” (from XDA article)
    • -What is rooting: Allows you to make changes to your Android system, as well as enable you to use features that are otherwise locked away. (from Samsung Galaxy S 4G Wiki)
    • -ClockworkMod / CWM: A custom recovery allowing you to perform several advanced recovery, restoration, installation and maintenance operations that aren’t possible with stock recovery. (from here)

--------------------
    Going from Stock Froyo (Firmware version: 2.2.1) to Stock GB (Firmware version: 2.3.6):
    NOTES
    * * I chose to go from Stock Froyo to Stock GB using Kies mini. This gives me the GB Bootloaders that I need to make it easier to flash a custom kernel and custom ROM’s.

* * Having GB already on the phone allows us to download SGS Kernel Flasher (must be rooted to use) from the app market to flash a custom kernel that will give me CWM5 and Voodoo Lagfix.

* * Also if anything screws up (i.e. IMEI), I can just take my phone back to where I bought it and get another one as this has happened to many… and fixes for it are not clear and work randomly but not for all. And unfortunately peoples phones have screwed up updating the way T-Mobile and Samsung tell you to update.
    o How to check your IMEI:
    • -Go to [App Drawer], [Settings], [About phone], [Status].
    • -Towards the bottom you will see [IMEI].
    o Let's get started:
    • -Download Kies mini if you do not already have it. When you follow this link you will see two tabs - 'Manuals' and 'Software ' - click [Software] and download.
    • -Make sure your phone is charged.
    • -Double check that USB Debugging is not enabled. Go to [Settings] > [Applications] > [Development] and UN-Check [USB debugging].
    • -Start Kies mini on the computer.
    • -Make sure phone is not connected to computer yet.
    • -In USB Settings on my phone I select [Kies (Firmware update)] if it is not set to ask every time.
    • -Plugged in phone, let device drivers install on computer. You will see a notification on your computer when complete.
    • -Then Kies mini will recognize the phone.
    • -Hit [upgrade] and wait.
    • -Phone will eventually reboot. Check your IMEI.
    --------------------
    I am on Stock GB (Firmware version: 2.3.6) now what:
    NOTES
    * * Some have learned the hard way the importance of making a back up of the efs folder on your phone. The efs folder contains important information about your phone and in the event any of the files in the folder are corrupted there is NO clear and concrete fix without a back up!

* * I use Super Manager
    o Now let's back up our efs folder:

• -Open Super Manager on your phone and go into [File Manager].
    • -Select [Back up level folder] twice.
    • -Scroll down and look for your folder called [efs].
    • -Long press the folder and select [copy].
    • -Now look for [sdcard] and select.
    • -Now select the clipboard (or press menu, then paste) to paste to your sdcard.
    • -Now copy over to your computer for safe keeping.

o It is time to Root [CREDIT and THANKS TO SHORTFUSE FOR SUPERONECLICK]:
    • -Download the current version of SuperOneClick (as of 05/02/12 is SuperOneClick v2.3.3).
    • -Extract the contents of the .zip where you can find it on your computer.
    • -Open the SuperOneClick folder you just extracted.
    • -Make sure phone is in Debugging Mode. Go to [Settings] > [Applications] > [Development] and check [USB debugging].
    • -Connect your phone to your computer.
    • -Open SuperOneClick.exe. You DO NOT need to change any settings!
    • -Either [Donate Now] :) or select [Donate Later].
    • -Click [Root] and wait and keep waiting.
    • -Ahhh, Rooted!
    --------------------
    I am on Stock GB (Firmware version: 2.3.6), I have an efs backup and rooted now what:
    NOTES
    * * I need a custom kernel to give me CWM and Voodoo Lagfix.

* * The purpose of the custom kernel is to give us CWM to flash a Custom ROM. When we flash the Custom ROM - the Custom ROM will overwrite the kernel we flash now with the kernel included with the ROM.

o Let's get started:
    • -Go to market, download and install SGS Kernel Flasher
    • -Download your choice of kernel from the Galaxy S 4G Android Development section to the root of your sdcard. Links provided below.

o Kernel Recommendations as of 05/02/12:

o Let's flash the kernel:
    • -Open the SGS Kernel Flasher app.
    • -First select [backup kernel].
    • -When it if finished you will still be on the same screen and it will see a green vertical bar at the bottom of the screen next to - Backed up as.....
    • -Now select [choose kernel] and a file manager will appear.
    • -Select [parent directory] and you will be on the root of your sdcard.
    • -Navigate to the bottom and find the kernel .zip file you copied over.
    • -Once selected you will be back at the main screen of SGS Kernel Flasher.
    • -Select [flash kernel].
    • -The kernel will flash and your phone will reboot.
    • -You will hear Linda speaking on the Galaxy S 4G boot screen (only if this is your first time flashing a custom kernel).
    • -Wait and wait some more! She will keep talking to you!
    • -Eventually the phone will reboot.
    --------------------
    I am on Stock GB (Firmware version: 2.3.6), I have an efs backup, Rooted and have custom kernel with CWM now what:
    NOTES
    * * Now it is time for the Custom ROM!

o Let's get started:
    • -To make it easy for you to access CWM Recovery without having to do the button combination - You can download Quick Boot (Reboot) here: QuickBoot.apk (link is courtesy of FB)

o How to navigate in CWM Recovery - TWO Methods:
    1. -Using Side Buttons:
      • -To navigate up and down - use the Volume up and down buttons.
      • -To select - use the power button.
    2. -Using Soft Keys:
      • -To navigate down - use the [menu] soft key (first soft key).
      • -To navigate up - use the [home] soft key (second soft key).
      • -To Go Back - use the [back] soft key (third soft key).
      • -To select an option - use the [search] soft key (fourth soft key).

o First things First - Nandroid Back Up:
    • -In CWM Recovery - Navigate down to [backup and restore] and select.
    • -Then select [backup]. This will take a bit so wait until it is finished.
    • -Now you have a Nandroid backup (which also gives you another backup of your efs folder) and you will be back at the main screen of CWM Recovery.

NOTES
    * * If you decide to try a different ROM other than the suggested ROM's below - please be aware there are Gingerbread-based ROM's and FROYO-based ROM's. At this point in the guide - you MUST select a Gingerbread-based ROM to flash.
    o Custom Gingerbread ROM Recommendations as of 05/02/12:

-Follow install directions labeled 'ROM's WITH SGS4G CWM ROM Installer'

-Follow install directions labeled 'ROM's WITHOUT SGS4G CWM ROM Installer'
    o Let's get started:

• -Download your choice GB ROM from your computer. Make sure the downloaded zip looks right (mainly size – I have had to try downloading two or three times to get the full zip for some reason).
    • -Copy [<< Name of Custom ROM you chose here >>.zip] to the root of your sdcard.
    • -Open [Quick Boot (Reboot)] and select [Recovery].
    • -If it is the first time using Quick Boot (Reboot) - you will need to allow superuser permission if this is the first time using the app.
    • -Your phone will reboot and you will be in CWM Recovery.

o Now let's finally flash the Custom ROM:
    NOTES
    * *A note before flashing - The steps to actually flashing the Custom ROM's change as new methods become available. As an example - SGS4G CWM ROM Installer by FB is now used when flashing newer ROM's.

* *FB's SGS4G CWM ROM Installer gives us a nice GUI (graphical user interface) when flashing ROM's. Thank you FB!

* *I will do my best to keep this guide up-to-date with the correct steps to flash the Custom ROM's recommended in this post - however if you notice something has changed - please PM me and let me know so I can up the guide!​

* * [DIRECTIONS] ROM's WITH SGS4G CWM ROM Installer * *

• -Select the ROM and wait. The SGS4G CWM ROM Installer will appear and guide you from here.
    • -Being new to flashing - select [Quick] install when prompted.
    • -When SGS4G CWM ROM Installer is finished - your phone should reboot into your NEW CUSTOM ROM!
    • -In the event your phone does not automatically restart after SGS4G CWM ROM Installer is finished - select [***** Go Back *****] until you are back to the main CWM Recovery screen and select [reboot system now].
    • -Go to App Drawer, [Settings], [About phone], [Status] and check your [IMEI].

* * [DIRECTIONS] ROM's WITHOUT SGS4G CWM ROM Installer * *

• -Select the ROM and wait.
    • -When installation is finished - select [***** Go Back *****] until you are back to the main CWM Recovery screen and select [reboot system now]
    • -Once rebooted into your new ROM - let you phone sit for 10 minutes to allow time for your caches to build.
    • -After 10 minutes - long press the power button and select [Recovery].
    • -In CWM Recovery - navigate to [wipe data/factory reset] and select.
    • -Then navigate to [Yes --delete all user data]
    • -When factory reset is complete - reboot and ENJOY!

NOTES
    * * Most Custom ROM's will be de-bloated - meaning a lot of the stock apps you may or may not be accustomed to are removed.

* * If you would like to re-install a stock app that is not in the Custom ROM you just flashed - Follow this link - Stock GB 2.3.6 APK Repository, download the APK you want to install and follow the directions in the first post of that thread.​
    --------------------
    [TWEAKS] I am on Stock GB (Firmware version: 2.3.6), I have an efs backup, rooted, have Custom Kernel with CWM and have a Custom ROM now what:
    NOTES
    * * Now you can flash tweaks if you so desire!

* * Take note - Most Custom ROM's have tweaks built. As an example - icbinb 2.3.7_v2 has Universal Adrenaline Shotv14-1 cache scroll tweak built in. Read the first post of the Custom ROM thread you choose to determine what tweaks are built into the ROM.

* * Flashing more than one Tweak does not give the benefits of both Tweaks. The Tweaks are generally written to overwrite most of the settings that may already be on the phone. So - Pick a tweak and try it for a couple of days. And if you would like to try a different tweak go for it.

* * If you are on icbinb 2.3.7_v2 - To make it easy for you to access CWM Recovery without having to do the button combination - You can download Quick Boot (Reboot) here: QuickBoot.apk (link is courtesy of FB).

o Custom Tweak Options as of 03/02/12:

o Let's get started:
    • -Download the Tweak you have decided to try.
    • -Copy [<< Name of tweak you chose here >>.zip] to the root of your sdcard.
    • -Go to bottom and find the name of the tweak you copied over and select it.
    • -Scroll down and select [Yes - Install << Name of tweak you chose here >>.zip].
    • -White letters will scroll and eventually say [Install from sdcard complete].
      • -Lightning Zap will now start SGS ROM Installer. Follow prompts. Select [Quick] Install.

NOTES
    * * To see the full benefits of most Tweaks - You need to give the Tweaks a day or two to settle in - or 'Soak In' as you will hear in the forum.​
    --------------------
    [MODS] I am on Stock GB (Firmware version: 2.3.6), I have an efs backup, rooted, have Custom Kernel with CWM and have a Custom ROM now what:
    NOTES
    * * Now you can flash MOD's if you so desire!

* * If you are on icbinb 2.3.7_v2 - To make it easy for you to access CWM Recovery without having to do the button combination - You can download Quick Boot (Reboot) here: QuickBoot.apk (link is courtesy of FB)

o Custom MOD Options as of 03/02/12:

o Let's get started:
    • -Download the MOD you have decided to try.
    • -Copy [<< Name of MOD you chose here >>.zip] to the root of your sdcard.
    • -Go to bottom and find the name of the MOD you copied over and select it.
    • -Scroll down and select [Yes - Install << Name of MOD you chose here >>.zip].
    • -White letters will scroll and eventually say Install from sdcard complete.
    THANKS bhundven FOR MAKING THE KJ6 HEIMDALL ONE-CLICK
    AVAILABLE TO THE SGS4G COMMUNITY

- STEP BY STEP GUIDE FOR KJ6 HEIMDALL ONE-CLICK -

WITH BOOTLOADERS AND WITHOUT BOOTLOADERS

o Who should use this guide and do I need Bootloaders:
    1. This guide can be used when wanting to upgrade your phone to Gingerbread from Froyo:

2. This guide can be used if you flashed a ROM made for a different model phone (i.e. Vibrant):

3. If you don't know what Froyo is or do not know what ROM you currently have - to be safe:

4. This Guide can be used after flashing a Custom Gingerbread ROM and wanting to return back to Stock Gingerbread ROM:

5. This Guide can be used between flashing Custom Gingerbread ROM's to lesson probabilities of problems:
    START HERE - - WHETHER FLASHING WITH BOOTLOADERS OR WITHOUT BOOTLOADERS - - START HERE
    IMPORTANT NOTES BEFORE YOU BEGIN:
    * * When using Heimdall or ODIN - Designate USB Ports on your computer for each flashing program. Have one USB Port that you only use Heimdall for. Have one USB Port you only use ODIN for. This does not mean you cannot use the designated USB Ports for other functions NOT related to your phone. This is only for flashing with Heimdall and ODIN.

* * Always use a USB Port that is directly connected to your computer - NO USB Hubs or add-on Ports.

* * If possible - Start with a USB Port you have never plugged your phone in to. By doing this you will reduce your probabilities of running into problems.

* * If you have used your phone on every USB Port and/or have no idea where all you have plugged your phone into or used ODIN or Heimdall with - Download [usbdeview-x32.zip] for 32-bit operating systems or [usbdeview-x64.zip] for 64-bit operating systems. Uninstall anything you see that has Samsung and Android related.
    o Let's get started:
    • Go to the following thread: [The T959V Heimdall One-Click Collection] <---- Link

• Look for [Download T959VUVKJ6 Stock UVKJ6] - After flashing this download you will have Pure Stock KJ6 Gingerbread. Ideal if you need to return phone for warranty purposes.

• Start the download, create a folder on your [C:\] Drive naming it [Android] and save [T959VUVKJ6_STOCK-UVKJ6-One-Click.jar] to [C:\Android].

• While the file is downloading follow this link: [Verify Java Version] <---- Link

• Click [Verify Java version].

Verify-Java.JPG

• Hopefully you will see the following:

Java-Verified.JPG

• If you do not - update to the latest version of Java.

• Now you should have [T959VUVKJ6_STOCK-UVKJ6-One-Click.jar] saved on your computer at [C:\Android] and you should have the current version of Java installed on your computer.

o Time to flash:
    • Go to the newly created folder - [C:\Android] - where you saved [T959VUVKJ6_STOCK-UVKJ6-One-Click.jar].

• You will see [T959VUVKJ6_STOCK-UVKJ6-One-Click.jar]. Inside the window - Hold down shift and right-click. In the menu that appears - select [Open command window here].

G9agQrH7

• The Command Prompt window will open and you will be at [C:\Android]. Type [java -jar T959VUVKJ6_STOCK-UVKJ6-One-Click.jar] and press [Enter] on your keyboard.

MxScQ23O

• It will pause, say [false] and run some commands.

9gRzFpnD

* * If you receive the error shown below - ['java' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.] - you do not have Java set as a System Path Variable.

* * Directions to fix this error are at the very end of this post.

Java-Cmd-Error.jpg

• If you do not [Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x86)] already installed on your computer - a window will open prompting you to install. Check [I have read and accept the license terms] and push [Install].

ugOtfWCR

• While [Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x86)] is installing - have your USB cable plugged into your designated Heimdall USB Port.

• Pull the battery from your phone. Then put it back in - also putting the back cover back on.

• Hold down the [Volume Down/Up] buttons on the left side of your phone. While holding both [Volume Down/Up] buttons plug in the USB cable into your phone. You should see the first image below for Download Mode - however you might see the second image instead - also Download Mode - if you are recovering your phone from a bad flash:

Download-Mode.jpg

• You should now be in Download Mode.

• After [Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x86)] is finished installing - Click [Finish].

q3IGEueB

• You will again see the command prompt window. At the bottom of the window you should see [Installing drivers] and a pop up prompting you to put your phone into Download Mode -- which you should already be in Download Mode if following the guide :).

MRHsS6yX

mlUww9mq

• Select [OK] and Zadig will open prompting you to install the necessary drivers to flash the One-Click.

kCXs3EU3

• In Zadig - Select [Options], then [List All Devices].

wvfVb3xb

• You will see [USB Receiver (Interface 0)]. Click your mouse where that appears and a drop-down menu will appear. Select [SAMSUNG USB Composite Device] and it will populate the box.

5Ioeo24c

• Now select [Reinstall Driver].

dTvv4fSX

• A window will appear - [Installing Driver...] - when completed you should be notified [The driver was installed successfully]. Select [Close].

NLTeJegW

j0TfrONK

• Close the Zadig window, Heimdall One-Click 1.3.1 window will open and it will say [Connected] with a green highlight in the lower right corner.

• Click [Flash] and Wait.

pPfE1JgF

• When Heimdall One-Click is finished working - your phone will reboot and run some code - then reboot again. You will see the T-Mobile splash screen and hear the T-Mobile jingle. Now wait again.

yMymFUK4

• When finished - you will boot into your freshly flashed Stock Gingerbread ROM - allow your phone to sit for ten minutes to properly build caches..

[*]If you are upgrading from Froyo to Gingerbread - You will reboot into a Rainbow Like Screen because you still need to Flash Bootloaders. You are OK and this is normal. Proceed to ADDITIONAL STEPS ONLY FOR THOSE NEEDING TO FLASH BOOTLOADERS in the box below.

• If you are flashing Bootloaders - Continue with directions in the box directly below.

* * START - ADDITIONAL STEPS ONLY FOR THOSE NEEDING TO FLASH BOOTLOADERS - START * *

• Leave Heimdall One-Click running.

• Unplug USB cable from phone. Pull the battery from your phone. Then put it back in - also putting the back cover back on.

• Hold down the [Volume Down/Up] buttons on the left side of your phone. While holding both [Volume Down/Up] buttons plug in the USB cable into your phone. Your phone will be back in Download Mode.

Download-Mode.jpg

• Heimdall One-Click will once again say [connected]. This time you are able to put a check mark next to [Flash Bootloaders]. Check the box.

Uf2TRVR9

• A window will appear warning you that [Flashing Bootloaders is Risky]. Select [Yes] and the window will close.

dJIvYNYj

• Now select [flash] one more time and wait.

• When Heimdall One-Click is finished - your phone will reboot, you will see code run on your phone screen, then reboot again into the ROM - allow your phone to sit for ten minutes to properly build caches.

* * END - ADDITIONAL STEPS ONLY FOR THOSE NEEDING TO FLASH BOOTLOADERS - END * *

CONTINUED DIRECTIONS FOR FLASHING WITHOUT BOOTLOADERS AND WITH BOOTLOADERS
    • Enjoy! Hit Thanks Below!

o When you are finished with Heimdall One-Click - your phone will now be running:
    • Firmware version: 2.3.6

Baseband version: T959VUVKJ6

Build number: GINGERBREAD.VUVKJ6

o Directions to ADD Java as Path Variable:
    • You first need to find the folder on your computer containing [java.exe]. For me - [java.exe] is in [C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin]. The location of this file is dependent on where you installed Java.

• Once the [java.exe] is located - notate the EXACT path [i.e. C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin] where the file is located.

• Open [System Properties] on your computer. How to open [System Properties] is dependent on your Operating System. However - you can access [System Properties] on most Windows machines by Right Clicking on [Computer] and selecting [Properties]. Please do a Google Search if you are unaware as to the method to access System Properties.

System-Properties.jpg

• In [System Properties] - select the [Advanced] tab, then select [Environmental Variables...].

• In [Environmental Variables...] - under [System variables] look for [Path] and double-click.

Env-Variables-Path.jpg

• In the window that opens - move to the very end of the text in [Variable value:] and add the path of the folder containing [java.exe] separated by a semi-colon. For me - I added [;C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin\] - no spaces.

Add-Java-Path.jpg

• Select [Ok] to all the windows you have since opened to make this change.

• You will need to close the previous [Command Prompt] window you opened when you received the error and open a new [Command Prompt] window.
    please edit your post and remove the entire first post quote. FFS people use a bit of common sense when quoting.
    Use the guide in the second second post.