Sweet Chiid Of Mine Q&A Thread

Search This thread

Beastmode

Dec 28, 2010
Los Angeles
After a horrific 15 hour period of pulling my hair out, I finally got my phone out of a hardbrick apparently initiated by installing Sweet Child O Mine v3.5. Here's how I got there:

1. When flashing SCOM v3 (following OP precisely), the phone randomly rebooted (around 90% of Aroma installation).
2. When attempting to flash again, Aroma Installer gave a warning saying it did not recognize my phone as a SGS4G. I clicked the checkbox and installed anyway. ROM worked.
3. When trying to upgrade to SCOM v3.5 late last night, I wiped all data and flashed. Got the same warning as before. This time, didn't install.
4. Tried using Gremlin 1-Click before attempting again... Kept getting stuck on factoryfs.rfs. Had to pull the battery multiple times to try to get it to work, but eventually it caught.
5. Tried flashing SCOM v3.5 again... crapped out before Aroma Installer could finish. I started again, got the unrecognized device warning again.
6. Went back to Gremlin 1-Click again... this time, could not get it to catch! Phone was stuck in softbrick.
7. After multiple attempts, decided to try Heimdall 1-Click, to no avail. Checked off "flash bootloaders" and after 3rd attempt, phone went hardbrick (screen wouldn't turn on no matter what I did).

Stayed up until 5 am trying to fix it, but put it aside to work on it again today. Here's how I finally fixed it:

1. Found RaverX3X's 1-Click somewhere on the forums... removed CWM and put me back on Samsung Utils
2. Downloaded all the files from FB's GB Ext4 starter pack page.
3. Managed to get the phone to yellow triangle by: Pulling and replacing battery->Holding Vol + and Vol - ->Inserting USB
4. Ran Odin as Admin, but had to use a different cable and port to get computer to see the phone
5. Finally back on stock KJ6.

Hopefully all that info above will help someone in trouble like I was.

Now I have a new problem: I want to flash SCOM v3.5 again, but I'm afraid of getting soft/hard-bricked again!

To be honest, I dislike the color scheme and the mismatched icon set in SCOM, but it has two things going for it:

1. Smooth as butter (surprisingly, smoother than RaverX3X's VB final for me)
2. Battery life when NOT using phone is amazing (left the phone for a few hours yesterday, didn't move a single percent). The battery drains fairly quickly when phone is in use, however.

So, how do I instally SCOM v3.5 without falling into the same problems? Or, alternately, what other ROM is comparable in terms of smoothness and idle battery life?

Try flashing latest kernel first then scom v3.5
Also check md5 to see if it matches

As for icons u can use apkmanager to change icons and apktool to decompile and edit the color of everything u want :)

EDIT: to anyone interest check this out
PJqjm.png

if you ain't first you're last :)

Last edited:

drdoombot

Nov 19, 2011
As for icons u can use apkmanager to change icons and apktool to decompile and edit the color of everything u want :)

Nice idea; I hadn't considered trying it myself.

I'm familiar with updating icons, but I wouldn't know where to look to change font colors, scrollbar colors, etc.? It's likely it's in SystemUI.apk, but can anyone point me in the right direction? A tutorial would be great (google has not been friendly in this regard).

ShadyAce80

Jan 16, 2012
Milaca area, MN
had two reboots in the last 20 minutes. did a battery pull and let sit before restart.
Also after the phone restarted ADW setting reverted, market reverted and received handful of FC. doesn't look like I lost any data or other settings. Any ideas?? SCOM 3.5

Beastmode

Dec 28, 2010
Los Angeles
had two reboots in the last 20 minutes. did a battery pull and let sit before restart.
Also after the phone restarted ADW setting reverted, market reverted and received handful of FC. doesn't look like I lost any data or other settings. Any ideas?? SCOM 3.5

Did u clear dalvik before this happened? And did u update from 3.0?

if you ain't first you're last :)

ShadyAce80

Jan 16, 2012
Milaca area, MN
update: phone is still having fc issues and noticed that random apps disappeared after the phone started acting up. Also have I have no volume in phone calls... can just barely hear the person on the other end. I'm thinking of using bhundven's Heimdall One-Click and starting from scratch. formatting sd the works. any ideas before going this route?
noobie question... before I do this can somebody PM me how to try and create a log of this?

hechoen

May 7, 2011
noobie question... before I do this can somebody PM me how to try and create a log of this?

Catlog is a good app for getting logs. Get it from market. It's pretty self-explanatory. Or if you've ever used adb heres a great link:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1378491

You can use Terminal Emulator to issue some of those commands.

One click or gremlin remover should help you out as well. Also did you check the MD5sums?

anoymonos

Oct 22, 2011
OnePlus 9
OnePlus 9 Pro
Im not sure why but i am getting horrible battery life with this rom. I go to settings about phone battery usage and it says Andriod OS is at 61% Ive never noticed it over 30% on any other rom. Phone lost 75% battery life in 5 hours while i slept last night. I am running same apps as i always have on every other rom cant figure it out.

ShadyAce80

Jan 16, 2012
Milaca area, MN
OK... ROM is installed and running great.... however, I ran the one click to restore phone to stock with cwm and went to install ROM and it finished early leaving me with a melding of stock and SCOM. after that aroma no longer is seeing my phone as a sgs4g. I ran one click again and installed the r3 kernel first and had same issue with identification. Install went smooth and seems all issues are resolved except still absolutely no volume in call.

so i deleted the phone.apk and pushed the one from the repository and my issue seems to have been resolved... here are logs

Attachments

• 2012-04-13-10-53-04.zip
    106.7 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

nativesmiley

Mar 4, 2011
So far I've had 2 reboots. I have SCOM v3.5 with rc3 kernel

Sent from my SGH-T959V using xda premium

anoymonos

Oct 22, 2011
OnePlus 9
OnePlus 9 Pro
Script error?

I just downloaded SCOM v4 and started to install wiped everything per OP then ran aroma installer and a message popped up saying that i have an unknown device this rom is for SGH T595v which i have but said something about a brick so I aborted now stuck at Team Acid green logo no recovery menu at all even after battery pull and 3 button combo. I know how to fix thats not my question im wondering if this is an error or has anyone else encountered this and should i just ignore message and flash

nativesmiley

Mar 4, 2011
I just downloaded SCOM v4 and started to install wiped everything per OP then ran aroma installer and a message popped up saying that i have an unknown device this rom is for SGH T595v which i have but said something about a brick so I aborted now stuck at Team Acid green logo no recovery menu at all even after battery pull and 3 button combo. I know how to fix thats not my question im wondering if this is an error or has anyone else encountered this and should i just ignore message and flash

I've gottin that a few times with other roms as well. I heard it was normal. But it doesn't effect the installation of the rom. Never has for me though.

Beastmode

Dec 28, 2010
Los Angeles
Market FCing on me. =\

clear market date

yes because you formatted the system u get device unknown but if u have an sgs4g then it will work

FBis251

Mar 21, 2011
www.fernandobarillas.com

I've gottin that a few times with other roms as well. I heard it was normal. But it doesn't effect the installation of the rom. Never has for me though.

It's because you guys didn't follow the OP

Install:
Remember backup your data beforehand
Reboot to CWM
then flash rom
then use fb's aroma to do the rest :)

Nowhere in there does it say to do wipes.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    well I am currently sleep deprived lol but noticed my countdown clock is set for 4:44am when it should of been 4:44pm today! :p

so....today 4:44 pm check post #2 for v.4.4 and a surprise :D
    In an effort to keep SCOMs dev thread clean and streamlined please post all of your questions here.

Thanks
    No luck with your suggestion hechoen. Running GR again (even though I did that before this flash) and will reflash. Checked the MD5 and that's good.

That's what worked for me. One other thing that I think has worked for some on other ROMs with this issue is to turn on bluetooth and while it's doing it's thing reboot the phone. If that doesn't work get a log to erikmm and he'll let you know what else to try.
    Im looking at the changelog and features dont see anything saying it uses a different messaging app. So.

Have you hit the menu button>more>delete messages? That seems to works on unnamed which is built on the same base as this rom.

It does have a different messaging app and it was in an earlier changelog but people were complaining that they were getting confused.with what was the new release so....eh the messaging app on mine only deletes them singular or batch like lumin said

@lumin the song came on? huh?
    @hechoen
    I couldn't quote on app idk why lol but nice palindrome & song lol

Also check your Gmail.