[APP][UPDATE 10.6.2011]XTask ver. 2.33 - task manager for WM5/6/6.5.x

Search This thread

soma900

Nov 21, 2009
Small update to ver.2.33
  • Small update. Details unknown.
  • Scoll down to download.

Source Code Release
Click here to download =>> [View attachment xTask_2.3_EVC_Source.rar].

Program summary

A task manager for Windows Mobile PDA phone. It does, not only the most wanted job of cleaning system RAM by closing unused tasks, but with many more features. For example, it can correct the overlay problem of the WM6.5.x buttom bar for any programs such as Resco Explorer, also automaticlly set button-X to Close instead of minimizing a window.

Compatibilities

• Support all WM versions (WM2003, WM5, WM6.1, WM6.5, WM6.5.x).
  • Support all screen resolutions (QVGA, SQVGA, VGA, SVGA, WVGA).
  • Support multi functions (process management, task management, document management, control panel, etc.).
Main features and functions

• Switch windows or close tasks or system process.
  • Rotate screen orientation.
  • Automatic fix the buttom tool bar overlay in WM6.5.x.
  • Automatic change X-botton to close.
  • Automatic terminate ActiveSync.
  • manage files with XTask.
  • Access the control panel items.
  • Place icon, or show freeRAM on the title bar.
  • Hold the XTask icon and drag on the screen to perform quick function.
  • fully customisable XTask function items, program tools bar for fix under WM6.5.x, icon position on the title bar, etc.
  • Create shotcut buttons in start menu for Restart, Toggle Wifi or bluetooth, screen-off, etc.
To install

1. UnRAR and copy the 2 files (XHook.exe, XTask.exe) into any folder in the system memory, such as [\Program Files\XTask\]. Running the program from external storage memory is not advised since when connected to PC the external card could be unrecognizable by the system.
  2. Click on XTask.exe to run the program. Check "AutoRun Xtask" for automatic startup.
  • XHook.exe shows the task icons on the title bar. It can serves a stand alone light varsion for simple switching and closing tasks.
  • XTASK.exe is the main program for setup, task lists, control panels, process management, etc.

To uninstall

1. Quit the XTask process.
  2. Delete the 2 program files and the folder.
  3. Delete the registry [\HKLM\SOFTWARE\XTASK\] and all values.
  4. Delete file XT.REB under the root.
  • XT.REB is an automatic generated signature file for restoration of all XTask settings after a hard reset or flashing ROM.

Credit to the author
cgb1981(at)126.com

Original post with the chinese version:
http://bbs.xbeta.cn/thread-30497-1-1.html

Bug reports, suggestions, and advices are highly appreciated by the author!

Download the latest version

-------------->>>xTask (exe)<<<-----------------

-

Attachments

• Resco.jpg
    Resco.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 25,487
  • xHookSetting.png
    xHookSetting.png
    15.6 KB · Views: 20,898
Last edited:
Reactions: duo_m and wyf

Farmer Ted

Nov 30, 2008
Your screenshots don't do this app justice! Wow, it is seriously cool. I need to figure out how to keep it alive, but I really like it. It does a lot of things, like show open windows, running services and devices. It also has a nice file explorer.

Farmer Ted

Nov 30, 2008
I may not know what I'm doing, but xtask closes every time I switch out of it. Also, it's kind of weird that the history is stored on the storage card. I guess I'd rather have it go to \windows or \application data. Otherwise, it works really well, and looks amazing. Xhook is really nice, I like having a working taskbar. It's like magic button, but works well with 6.5.3.

soma900

Nov 21, 2009
I may not know what I'm doing, but xtask closes every time I switch out of it. Also, it's kind of weird that the history is stored on the storage card. I guess I'd rather have it go to \windows or \application data. Otherwise, it works really well, and looks amazing. Xhook is really nice, I like having a working taskbar. It's like magic button, but works well with 6.5.3.

The idea to store the history on the storage card is that when hard reset or flashing rom the file won't get lost.

Indeed weird it closes all the time. Perhaps you can check "Digital Memory" in the setting in order to show something on the title bar.

Farmer Ted

Nov 30, 2008
The idea to store the history on the storage card is that when hard reset or flashing rom the file won't get lost.

Indeed weird it closes all the time. Perhaps you can check "Digital Memory" in the setting in order to show something on the title bar.

I tried checking dgital memory, but xtask keeps closing. Not a big deal, xhook works well. If I'm in a program, clicking on the start icon opens xtask (I have replace start menu selected). If I'm on the Today screen, though, the start icon opens up the regular 6.5 start menu (which I prefer anyway). It's kind of quirky, but I really like it.

Is there an easy way to load window classes into the fix list? I have a couple apps I'd like re-positioned. I guess I need xtask running in the background for that, though.

Edit: about the history storage location, I personally have a lot of trouble with corrupting my sd card, and have found that it's better for me not to have log or temp files or similar things on the card. I think it would be better to have a reg key where you could choose the path for the xt.reb file. Any, I love this task manager-it's really cool. Here are some screen shots:

4213463637_eaa64d465b_m.jpg
4214230424_8f917f63a5_m.jpg
4213463803_824e90d6bc_m.jpg

Last edited:

regis.stration

Feb 23, 2007
how to add apps to 'exceptions'?

XHook shows an icon for manila on the taskbar. It shows 2 items in the taskman list also. How can I get these to not show. I tried to add it to the "exceptions" bos under settings, but could not figure how to enter anything into the box.

Any suggestions?

This is a great app!

Georgeous2008

Dec 25, 2008
Well, this looks promising but from my personal testing I can say that this is still alpha stage... Thumbs up and good continuation, I'll keep checking ... ;)

Farmer Ted

Nov 30, 2008
I've already got it cooked into my rom. I actually like the fact that xtask closes down every time it's minimized. Xhook does a great job of closing apps, so it's not needed all the time. I used to have a button assigned to dotfred's task manager, but I switched it to Xtask, and it loads much faster than dotfred's and is a bit quicker to use (don't get me wrong, I still love dotfreds).

JaCoL_JcL

Apr 17, 2009
I've already got it cooked into my rom. I actually like the fact that xtask closes down every time it's minimized. Xhook does a great job of closing apps, so it's not needed all the time. I used to have a button assigned to dotfred's task manager, but I switched it to Xtask, and it loads much faster than dotfred's and is a bit quicker to use (don't get me wrong, I still love dotfreds).

any chance to add this as background servis? btw great app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Small update to ver.2.33
    • Small update. Details unknown.
    • Scoll down to download.

Source Code Release
    Click here to download =>> [View attachment xTask_2.3_EVC_Source.rar].

Program summary

A task manager for Windows Mobile PDA phone. It does, not only the most wanted job of cleaning system RAM by closing unused tasks, but with many more features. For example, it can correct the overlay problem of the WM6.5.x buttom bar for any programs such as Resco Explorer, also automaticlly set button-X to Close instead of minimizing a window.

Compatibilities

• Support all WM versions (WM2003, WM5, WM6.1, WM6.5, WM6.5.x).
    • Support all screen resolutions (QVGA, SQVGA, VGA, SVGA, WVGA).
    • Support multi functions (process management, task management, document management, control panel, etc.).
    Main features and functions

• Switch windows or close tasks or system process.
    • Rotate screen orientation.
    • Automatic fix the buttom tool bar overlay in WM6.5.x.
    • Automatic change X-botton to close.
    • Automatic terminate ActiveSync.
    • manage files with XTask.
    • Access the control panel items.
    • Place icon, or show freeRAM on the title bar.
    • Hold the XTask icon and drag on the screen to perform quick function.
    • fully customisable XTask function items, program tools bar for fix under WM6.5.x, icon position on the title bar, etc.
    • Create shotcut buttons in start menu for Restart, Toggle Wifi or bluetooth, screen-off, etc.
    To install

1. UnRAR and copy the 2 files (XHook.exe, XTask.exe) into any folder in the system memory, such as [\Program Files\XTask\]. Running the program from external storage memory is not advised since when connected to PC the external card could be unrecognizable by the system.
    2. Click on XTask.exe to run the program. Check "AutoRun Xtask" for automatic startup.
    • XHook.exe shows the task icons on the title bar. It can serves a stand alone light varsion for simple switching and closing tasks.
    • XTASK.exe is the main program for setup, task lists, control panels, process management, etc.

To uninstall

1. Quit the XTask process.
    2. Delete the 2 program files and the folder.
    3. Delete the registry [\HKLM\SOFTWARE\XTASK\] and all values.
    4. Delete file XT.REB under the root.
    • XT.REB is an automatic generated signature file for restoration of all XTask settings after a hard reset or flashing ROM.

Credit to the author
    cgb1981(at)126.com

Original post with the chinese version:
    http://bbs.xbeta.cn/thread-30497-1-1.html

Bug reports, suggestions, and advices are highly appreciated by the author!

Download the latest version

-------------->>>xTask (exe)<<<-----------------

-
    Are you joking. My Omnia has a 600 MHz CPU. most of the new mid-range phones have the very same CPU frequency. It's not even old.
    There are many ways to make a software better. I just suggesting some points to the developer. criticism is always beneficial for people.
    I'm not a programer but I know what a good software should be like. xtast is one the goods. but it's going to become a bloated software, I think.
    My Pure is 528mhz without overclocking, and I have no performance issues with xtask (I haven't been overclocking it lately). If you suffer performance issues, it could be that the pure just performs better than your phone regardless of specs, or the more likely cause: your ROM isn't quite as efficient as it could be. Go look into a different ROM, or start tweaking the one you have. lol, we're wm users, our super power is tweaking!

Also, there are plenty of alternative lightweight taskmanagers, I don't understand why you use this one if you don't want the many additional features.
    Thanks for the link. :3

but XHook.exe and other files weren't included.
    Can you please fix it?

I haven't tried it yet, but my guess is that there was no update to xhook.exe, so you can just update xtask (dll or exe) and you're good to go.
    Best task manager for HTC JD2

Using xTask now for over 1 year on every of my 3 HTC HD2 devices, I must say:

:) Thanks for this great app - it's an excellent piece of software! :)

Well, obviously, it has some minor issues, but, hey, it is "beta"! Anyway, the best beta, I used until now on my HD2.:cool:

I've really tested many so called "task managers". Most of them didn't even fulfill the basic requirement of a task manager, which is to open it directly from any application. xTask is the only real task manager, because it's the only app, that allows
    • calling it from everywhere (by key/button assignment)
    • opening not only by returning to the home screen
    • displaying of all open apps
    • even closing apps by screen slides
    • configuring the way, the x-button acts
    • working without performance loss

Shortly, I even managed to get it to work with newer ROM versions. I really regret, that there is no further development for xTask but I am satisfied with the way it works at the moment.:D

Cheers!