HTC one x battery life

Search This thread

shankly1985

Dec 13, 2010
The KOP
Calibration doesn't do nothing and certainly not gonna give you better battery life.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Yes it bloody does lol I have done it a couple times for people and its the first thing HTC will recommend doing. After using your phone for long time charge and drain, installing new Roms the battery can loose its 100% charge that is why doing the Calibration fixes it.

Hell I have even seen it listed in manuals. There is also the Rooted way Charge phone till 100% green light unplug and restart into Recovery and delete battery stats, switch off phone and charge till again green light. Never tried this one has stock HTC way I have noticed works well.

Last edited:
Reactions: PaKii94

PaKii94

Jun 7, 2012
Yes it bloody does lol I have done it a couple times for people and its the first thing HTC will recommend doing. After using your phone for long time charge and drain, installing new Roms the battery can loose its 100% charge that is why doing the Calibration fixes it.

Hell I have even seen it listed in manuals. There is also the Rooted way boot into Charge phone till 100% green light unplug and restart into Recovery and delete battery stats, switch off phone and charge till again green light. Never tried this one has stock HTC way I have noticed works well.
ill look into that, I got mine new and never really fully charged it until a couple days after. hopefully it will help :)

Spl4tt

How much was your screen on time tho? I could just leave my phone doing nothing and have over 1day battery.
@op you could try the battery calibration. Charge phone till green light, once fully charged unplug and switch off the phone and charge again till green light now switch on and use phone.
You should now have better battery.

Sent from my EndeavorU using xda premium

can't you read the screenshot? It says screen on time was over 7h..... Oo
how did he do that

Mr_S

Dec 21, 2012

Hell I have even seen it listed in manuals. There is also the Rooted way Charge phone till 100% green light unplug and restart into Recovery and delete battery stats, switch off phone and charge till again green light. Never tried this one has stock HTC way I have noticed works well.

All out does its make sure the battery display is displaying correctly. Its not gonna give you any real life extra life just make sure it's being shown correct. All it does its wipe a file that gets generated on each boot.

Edit I'm talking about battery calibration app.
Our wiping battery starts

Last edited:

limzm

Dec 2, 2008
7h screen time? He didn't even show the battery graph, he probably charge it around 70% and start using it again.

shankly1985

Dec 13, 2010
The KOP
Am not talking about using any app from play store.
If the phone isn't showing correct % then phone will auto switch off at 14% when really it has more power left.

This happens alot with laptop, that constantly charge and drain isn't good on the battery, really you should never allow the battery to drain this reduces the life of it.
It's good every now and then to just give the phone a full charge and switch off charge again this makes the phone read the correct amount of battery left.

"14% auto switch of this still happen on one x? Been long time since I had phone drain so low"

ataft

Apr 23, 2012
Dalian
Maybe my pictures are a little more transparent.

Not 7 hours, but 6 ain't bad!

Using ViperX ROM. auto brightness turned on, and gps/sync disabled. Nothing else done.

Unfortunately though, I haven't been able to repeat that. Got 5 hours yesterday. Something seems to have changed since I updated the rom.

Sent from my HTC One X using xda app-developers app

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1358321175604.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1358321175604.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 1,172
  • uploadfromtaptalk1358321198760.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1358321198760.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 1,058

doc_loco

Jan 10, 2011
Android OS huge drain

Android OS is taking a huge chunk of my battery and I cannot figure out why.
GSAM Battery says its the HTC Launcher. Better Battery Stats cant find anything useful and the built in power app in the ONE X says its Android OS.

Also, i get about 1 hour screen on time and my phone is dead within 10 - 12 Hours.

Usual apps (Facebook, Twitter, Whatsapp, 3 email accounts configured with Smart Sync) (Facebook and Twitter set to resync every 4 hours, I sent maybe 5 whatsapp messages and 0 phone calls)

Can anyone relate to this?

I have attached a few screens

Screenshot_2013-01-15-16-26-18.jpg

Screenshot_2013-01-15-16-26-30.jpg

Screenshot_2013-01-15-16-26-45.jpg

cookpass

Jan 12, 2009
Wrexham
I appear to have fixed my battery drain by disabling my freindstream widget. I was losing 20%+ overnight from a full charge. I checked before I went to bed last night, it was on 66%, checked this morning, still on 66% :D

Apologies if it's been mentioned before, I know there's been a few more posts since I looked the other day.

BenPope

Dec 20, 2007

Repeating false things doesn't make them true. Science is not a democracy.

Mr_S

Dec 21, 2012
Am not talking about using any app from play store.
If the phone isn't showing correct % then phone will auto switch off at 14% when really it has more power left.

This happens alot with laptop, that constantly charge and drain isn't good on the battery, really you should never allow the battery to drain this reduces the life of it.
It's good every now and then to just give the phone a full charge and switch off charge again this makes the phone read the correct amount of battery left.

"14% auto switch of this still happen on one x? Been long time since I had phone drain so low"

Your talking about 2 different things. Display not showing the correct battery percent is corrected by fully charging your battery which will wipe your stats. That's different to putting extra charge in your phone. I don't know about charging to green. Unplug, than charge again if red. I suspect it may be bad for your battery and would only do it when phone/battery new but if you could point me to this"proof" ill have a read. Also the worst flashing will do to your battery is drain it but charging it fully like previously mentioned will recalibrate it.

Last edited:

XxVcVxX

Aug 24, 2012
Hong Kong
7 h on screen was achieved by Blade Rom, stock kernel, and 1 hour of airplane mode, 3 hours of WiFi and I was camping lol

Sent from my faster than SGS3 HOX.

BenPope

Dec 20, 2007
Proven to work right here on XDA. Been talked to death over on HTC desire forum... Its the first thing HTC will recommend doing, its listed in manuals...

Where is your Proof??

Don't reply back without some :good:

Saying it's been proven here, is not proof.

Saying it's been talked to death on the Desire forum, is not proof.

If HTC repeat the same advice verbally and in written materials, really, that's the same thing, isn't it?

Your evidence amounts to hearsay and exactly what I said by repeating false information doesn't make it true. You might want to address this issue if we're going to have a debate.

Let's start here: http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_lithium_ion_batteries

I'll acknowledge that they say the battery should be charged with the device off to prevent a parasitic load confusing the charger. However, that parasitic load prevents the charger from seeing the current drop, thus charging it further (not a good idea).

Over to you to explain how your technique "calibrates the battery". First start by explaining exactly what you mean. So far I understand it to mean that it affects the total charge capacity of the battery, which would require an increase in charge density of the polymer substrate. Maybe it's some reversal of the aging of the battery, but since it's basically just charging, I don't see how it differs from "normal" charging.

shankly1985

Dec 13, 2010
The KOP
Saying it's been proven here, is not proof.

Saying it's been talked to death on the Desire forum, is not proof.

If HTC repeat the same advice verbally and in written materials, really, that's the same thing, isn't it?

Your evidence amounts to hearsay and exactly what I said by repeating false information doesn't make it true. You might want to address this issue if we're going to have a debate.

Let's start here: http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_lithium_ion_batteries

I'll acknowledge that they say the battery should be charged with the device off to prevent a parasitic load confusing the charger. However, that parasitic load prevents the charger from seeing the current drop, thus charging it further (not a good idea).

Over to you to explain how your technique "calibrates the battery". First start by explaining exactly what you mean. So far I understand it to mean that it affects the total charge capacity of the battery, which would require an increase in charge density of the polymer substrate. Maybe it's some reversal of the aging of the battery, but since it's basically just charging, I don't see how it differs from "normal" charging.

Post right here on XDA home page, O they like to post lies? lol it works End off
http://www.xda-developers.com/android/calibrate-your-htc-desire-battery/

The Thread
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=755903

Been talked to death and alot of people have said it works and I have also done it on couple HTC phones and has proven to work.

Reactions: Bryza1000

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have my HOX over an year now and this is my experience so far:

There are three elements to be taken into consideration when talking about battery life:

1. Hardware configuration;

2. Software

3. Type of usage

1.Hardware. I'm convinced beyiond doubt that the first batch of HOXs had faulty batteries or, ad least, ones of low quality. You know there are a lot of threads where people are complaining about battery overheating and low battery life. So: the battery was overheating (especially when gaming) the cores were hot and in this process, due to the fact that the heat was not well dissipated, the result was a lot of heat that leaded to extremly fast depletion of battery. This issue was gone with the introduction of HOX+ (with its 2100mAh battery). I don't know if the last batches of HOX have better quality batteries like the firsts ones. Basically, if the temeperature is not over 42-47 degrees (Celsius) when hard using, then the battery is good. If it reaches over 53-57 degrees then is one of low quality. Solution to improve battery life: change (at your own cost) the 1800mAh battery with the one of HOX+ (2100 mAh) -as I did, the cost for me was 35 Euro-.The big gain here will not come from the extra 300 mAh-but they are also welcomed-, but from the better quality of the battery that will not overheat so it will allow the phone to run colder (and smoother) and will not deplete so fast.

2.Software. Stock rom and kernell vs custom roms and kernells. ICS vs JB. Also a lot of disscusions here. To synthesize my personal experience and from what have I read: There are custom roms and kernells for performance and ones for battery life. Some are good, some are great and some..well still under development :p. Also: some phones are locked so they don't recive the updates so often and may have special issues. Stock rom and kernell are..somwhere in the middle. They are not bad for the battery life, but there are better ones. Also, various versions of android had different performances. For me, par example, with stock rom and kernell, ICS 4.0.3. was bad, 4.0.4. was GREAT, JB 4.1.1 until now was horrific, now is great. There is NO magic answer here. Solution to improve battery life: if you are rooted..then the solution is pretty simple: tray as much custom roms and kernells as you can until you find the perfect combination and remember that a rom builded for speed will not have great life battery life. For those with stock roms -like me- the solution are pretty limited. The one that changed my experience with my HOX and made it reliable again is -DISABLE GOOGLE NOW!- Yeah, those cards are cool, but: you have better weather widgets and animation already, the road to home or work will be shown the same in maps app if you need them and so on. If you use a wakelock detector app, like "Wakelock detector" :p or "Gsam battery" or "betterbattery stats" you will find out that most of the time "Network location provider" and other location wakelocks are keeping your phone awake and don't allow it to go to sleep. For me, in 15 h, before I disabled gogole now, my phone was like 8 h in deep sleep and 7 h awake. Now, it's 12 h in deep sleep and 3 h awake -and I have location turned on-. And, of course the battery autonomy is FAR FAR better. Also, there can be rogue apps or old ones that misbehave or corruped files that force your phone to stay awake and don't alow it to go into deep sleep. So I strongly advise that if you want to have a better battery life to do a full SD wipe -backup you data first :p- followed by a factory reset and install all apps from 0 and do not activate google now. You will be amazed by the outcome. But, I repeat, you must erase everything, including the internal SD, to be sure there are no bad apps or files left on your phone.

3.Personal usage. ]First of all: personal settings: also here are a lot of threads opened and hundred of pages written so I will not insist so much. My personal setings are: Autobrightness, autosync (decent intervals of time not like at 5 min..), WiFi On all the time (with all those "smart" option enabled, from those for overnight to those for smart sync), Data Off (but with the widget on the scren to turn it on if necessary) and Network 2G only -to save battery life- (Not auto WCDMA/GSM, just GSM ONLY) If I don't have WiFi and I need fast internet, it takes like..10 sec to enter into menu and change the network to WCDMA/GSM Auto and hence to have 3G speed. Also: TASK killers are BAD! (there are a lot of threads about them if you don't trust me -so don't use them-). Battery improvers apps -mostly are not so great and in lot of cases they do much worse than good- a lot of users rely just on HOX's personal "Power saver" and I do the same if needed. Nothing more. Also BAD SIGNAL AREA is a problem that is not so well known, but, I can tell from my experience that, is the most important fact that is influencing your battery life. If the signal is bad (and probably will not even know it) the battery will deplete faster than you can imagine and will left you wondering what the heck just happened with your battery. I work in a building with a lot of concrete and steel interior walls and my signal is bad to almost none in 80% of the areas. The result is that I lose around 30% extra battery just for being at work. Secondly: Personal type of usage: Some are playing a lot or listening to music...other are just browsing..others are just casual users of the phone as a smartphone. It's obvious that if you play 2 hours you will not have the autonomy of one who's just browsing the internet and FB and just checking emails even if he's using the screen same time as you did. Solution to improve battery life: be aware of your settings and use them as you want and keep your phone as much as you can in an area with good signal. There's not much to be said.

In the end: I have latest stock JB and kernell (4.1.1.), my HOX is internal version and my settings are those of the above. After I have disabled Goggle now and fully wiped my SD and factory reseted my phone my stats are: with 21% left of my battery, I had around 2h of screen on and 1 day and 15 h of autonomy (If I wanted better stats I could record them into the morning, to have extra 7h of autonomy and just 2-3% lost overnight) The phone stayed in deepsleep for 1 day and 14 h and awake for just 4h and 30 min-so bad wakelocks are gone now-.

Sorry for my long post, but I felt that from time to time a post like this is needed. there are my stats attached.
    Heres the tip for everyone that use some market apps for battery saving like *juice defender* *battery saver* etc , well guess what you're all wrong , think a little bit before reading comments or believing in the stars of the app. Yes they do reduce your usage by cutting off wi-fi/ bluetooth / GPS etc etc , but hey that is ALL also manually do-able and for those who flash roms / mods/ tweeks theres STOCK jb hox battery saver which you can MODIFY exactly to what those market apps do and more , except this is already running all the time in the background and aint wasting battery, but those apps that you download from the marked ARE using your BATTERY and RAM which leads to worse overall performance as well the BATTERY.

TASK-KILLERS: This is even WORSE then battery saving apps. and here is WHY : For instence some task killer kills apps when your phone lets say have 50 ram free and needs to release some more RAM since thats what you made it do. Now put it this way:

Lets say browser uses 20 ram
    Call&phonbook 20 ram
    Settings 40 ram
    and gallery 20 ram
    So we have 100 ram used in the background right (btw this is not how much they use i just made an example lol ) anyway if the phone has 50 free RAM left for usage it will kill some apps in this example lets say it kills those apps i wrote above. Now your phone have 150 free RAM , now when you want to use next time call&phonebook and other apps listed above and YOU WILL since they're one of the most common stuff you use what will happen ? Well BATTERY DRAIN , and heres why : if those apps were running in the background all the time they wouldn't use literally any battery , but if they got killed and restarted that would make your device raise CPU freqs onto higher freqs and LOAD the APP all over again ( which would also lead into slower opening of those apps ,but if they were opened in the background it would be almost instantlly ) So if we use task-killers all the time this would make our devices use even more battery then what it is already. Besides if you don't kill apps that are most commonly used your phone will be faster thx to the background process and multitasking. Besides hox has AVARAGE 250 free ram on JB which is MORE then we actually need. So trust me you don't want to kill most used apps , kill apps that you use once a day or so.

As for battery life theres MANY settings how to increase your battery life , mainly try using less your mobile network that is the killer for battery and relay mostly on wifi network , avoid using GPS unless necessary , use avarage 25-30% brigness ( don't use auto brightness ) , wifi off when you sleep ( you can set that in wifi settings ) auto sync , disable it when you sleep as well. Use power saver unless you're gaming and you should have AVARAGe 3:30-4hrs screen time. My personal max screen on time was 7hrs 31min in overall usage of 36hrs auto sync and wifi on the whole time. It's all about how do you use your phone and which settings. It depends alot on the rom and kernel as well. And we still don't have good kernels for battery, soon as we get the source battery should increase at least 40-60mins at screen on time.

Btw avoid apps that are constantly checking your phones status etc. like apps for monitoring cpu , thats barly letting your phone to go in the deep sleep. Think a little bit what that app actually does except looking *pretty and innocent* before you download it :p

Sorry for the long post , If you not lazy read this and understand , i hope it helps you out =) Cheers !
    *****zzz please
    XD

Sent from my faster than SGS3 HOX.

How much was your screen on time tho? I could just leave my phone doing nothing and have over 1day battery.
    @op you could try the battery calibration. Charge phone till green light, once fully charged unplug and switch off the phone and charge again till green light now switch on and use phone.
    You should now have better battery.

Settings? Max freq, governor, i/o scheduler, gpu clock, uv, max cores, etc?

max 1ghz, min 051mhz, interactive, deadline, 416mhz, uv -50, multicore power saver 2 (max cores 4), nvidia smart dimmer. That's it, greenify also, and google search, google + disabled, since i don't use it and they keep running all the time...
    It's not big difference between 1.3 ghz and 1, only in loading heavy web sites... :)
    Give a try to light roms like CM 10, Blade. Some people experienced a great battery life with viper rom, also use corecontrol app to limit the cores, use system tuner to set the min and max usage of cpu, use battery saving apps juice defender and easy battery saver are the best.
    You can also use task killer but i read somewhere thats it is bad, its saves battery though.
    Use this mod http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2092515
    It improves alot of battery life.
    All this stuff doubled my battery, actually more than double.
    Thank me if i helped :)

Sent from my HTC One X