[Nook HD+][EMMC][CM10.1] Tweaked Xperia V2.8 ROM [RETIRED][29/05/2015]

Search This thread

pinguy1982

May 10, 2012
The ROM is retired. The final version can be downloaded from here:
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=58493801&postcount=339

This is a tweaked versions of CARBON-JB-UNOFFICIAL-B11 so all credit goes to killersloth for the ROM. Without his work this ROM wouldn't be possible. So if you like this ROM please go to the CARBON ROM thread and click the "Thanks" button.

Changes Made:
  • Replaced Trebuchet launcher with Nova launcher.
  • Replaced stock gallery with Sony Z Album and Movie app (Facebook & Twitter integration working.)
  • Added Sony Z Walkman app with UPNP/DLNA Media Server.
  • Replaced the default kernel with the kernel from CM10.1 Stable by verygreen.
  • Added BeatsAudio+xLoud+ClearAudio for audio effects and ViPER4Android for the sound engine. Settings I am using.
  • Added Mobile BRAVIA® Engine for improved video processing.
  • Modified Adobe Flash 11.1 with Hulu support.
  • Host level ad blocking. If you are having issues with adblocking see attachments to remove it.
  • Forced all rendering to be done on the GPU. Should help with gaming and make things more smoother. To help improve performance even further see this post.
  • GoogleEars.
  • Kick Ass Kernelizer
  • Auto-zipalign and defragdb on boot
  • Auto Calibration on boot. Only does a few programs each boot. So may take a few reboots to calibrate all of them.
  • Plus many improvements taken from this thread.

I also added some terminal commands.
Run each command with SU first then the command.
  • fixfc - Fix apps force closing.
  • sclean - Clean the dalvik cache and cache partition
  • v6 - run the V6 SuperCharger script. I would run this as soon as the ROM is setup..

Know bugs
  • Not a bug as such but something you should be aware of. It does take a few reboots to optimise all the apps.
  • V4A XHiFi may do a hot reboot when first getting root, same with Root Browser. This will only happen once and will work fine afterwards. This is only normally an issue if you try getting ROOT on first boot. On the second reboot this doesn't happen.
  • Wifi will turn off then back on while it is setting up wl1271-nvs.bin. Once the file is created Wifi shouldn't disconnect.
Any more issues please report them.

Xperia-2.3.9-CARBON-JB-B11-ovation.zip - 294.19 MB
MD5: 05483bc421eb793c9ccf0113323b406d

For the latest version using Google Now Launcher use this rom: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=58493801&postcount=339

Wallpaper: http://blankid.deviantart.com/art/Escape2-347788407

If you would like to use the WALKMAN app from the Sony Xperia Z Ultra you can do so by flashing this: Xperia-Ultra_WALKMAN_SemcMusic.zip. Make sure you boot into the ROM before flashing. If you flash this without booting into the ROM first it will not work.

Most of the features in the Sony Xperia Z Ultra WALKMAN are working but "Music Unlimited" service isn't.

Attachments

• Remove-Adblocking-CWM.zip
    236.6 KB · Views: 430
Last edited:

JDMpire

Nov 21, 2008
Philly & Bangkok
Do we use the gapps from the original carbon threads?

And how do you flash the scrips? Just like any other zip file? Can it be done when installing this ROM ?

pinguy1982

May 10, 2012
Do we use the gapps from the original carbon threads?

And how do you flash the scrips? Just like any other zip file? Can it be done when installing this ROM ?

I just added the scripts as a separate download so other devs can take a look at them without downloading the whole ROM. All the scripts are included in the ROM. Everything you need is built into the ROM. Just download it and install.

akramarshad

Sep 27, 2008
unstable

I installed on top of Carbon B9 without wiping anything and everything was forceclosing.Then I wiped cache partiion and Dalvick cache and reinstalled ,it was usable thistime but several apps still forceclosing including Chrome,I went back to Carbon.

mcord11758

Sep 6, 2010
I installed on top of Carbon B9 without wiping anything and everything was forceclosing.Then I wiped cache partiion and Dalvick cache and reinstalled ,it was usable thistime but several apps still forceclosing including Chrome,I went back to Carbon.

If you did not install with full wipe I am note sure it is fair to mark it as unstable. Did you even attempt to clear the app data for the apps foreclosing?

have not tried this yet but just thought labeling the effort as unstable prior to proper install is not fair.

Colt77

Nov 24, 2012
Just installed with full wipe restoring apps and data from TB. So far everything is ok.
Feels slightly less laggy than B9.
Dunno about battery life yet.

lininjim

May 24, 2005
Nexus 7
Amazon Fire HD 8 and HD 10
This is working great for me.
I did a dirty flash over RootBox and it's really nice.
Been the best rom for me on my Nook so far. Pinguy1982, please keep the thread updated mate.
Only issue I had was my usual
Android.process.acore has stopped

Which I resolved by following the text below. (cribbed from somewhere on the net)

If you go to Settings/Applications/Manage Applications/ then choose the All tab. Scroll down to Contacts open it and clear the data cache. Now do the same again but this time open Contact Storage and also clear the data cache. This issue is related to an Android bug and affects many devices. It's related to apps that use the sync function.

Works for me.
Cheers all

Reactions: pinguy1982

RustedRoot

Dec 7, 2010
Tucson AZ
Amazfit
If you did not install with full wipe I am note sure it is fair to mark it as unstable. Did you even attempt to clear the app data for the apps foreclosing?

have not tried this yet but just thought labeling the effort as unstable prior to proper install is not fair.

I agree completely and would urge the poster to revise his comment or certainly remove the subject. Way too hasty and unfair to make such a quick judgment certainly in the absence of a full or data wipe.

akramarshad

Sep 27, 2008
I agree completely and would urge the poster to revise his comment or certainly remove the subject. Way too hasty and unfair to make such a quick judgment certainly in the absence of a full or data wipe.

Sorry if I offended you.My understanding is that you wipe data only if you are installing in place of different ROM.It was carbon on top of Carbonand I did not feel I needed to wipe data partition.

Reactions: mcord11758

pinguy1982

May 10, 2012
Sorry if I offended you.My understanding is that you wipe data only if you are installing in place of different ROM.It was carbon on top of Carbonand I did not feel I needed to wipe data partition.

Dude it's all cool. But I have changed a fair bit to the ROM so just installing over it probably won't work. I have made drastic changes to how dalvik works so using pre-installed apps from a previous install probably won't work.

Sent from my Nook HD+ using Tapatalk HD

bckrupps

Sep 24, 2010
Apps no, dalvik cache maybe. The apps settings and the app won't be a problem, but using the dalvik cache might be.
The cache is in /data/dalvik-cache. Using that maybe an issue.

thanks.I always clear out dalvik cache anyway when I try new stuff. I was thinking of trying it. the new build of cm 10.1 seems to match up with my tablet perfectly so we will see. thanks for the ROM. the more the better :)

I did this too, but wiped dalvik, no force closes, but status bar is gone and can't get it back... going to try flashing again...

JeauxAdam

Jan 10, 2013
Just flashed a couple of hours ago and seems pretty rad so far. I'll give it some time to "settle" before passing judgement. Definitely like the idea!

Good to see more options around here. My hat goes off to all devs.

Sent from my Nook HD+ using xda app-developers app

nocloo

Feb 15, 2011
Just flashed it ... Can't see the option "Reboot into recovery" when holding the power button. Is there anyone I can enable it ?

Colt77

Nov 24, 2012
Battery drain so far seems to be no worse than B9 for me.
Definitely like this ROM, it is faster and smoother than any other I tried for my Nook, seems quite stable as well (no random reboots etc.)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The ROM is retired. The final version can be downloaded from here:
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=58493801&postcount=339

This is a tweaked versions of CARBON-JB-UNOFFICIAL-B11 so all credit goes to killersloth for the ROM. Without his work this ROM wouldn't be possible. So if you like this ROM please go to the CARBON ROM thread and click the "Thanks" button.

Changes Made:
    • Replaced Trebuchet launcher with Nova launcher.
    • Replaced stock gallery with Sony Z Album and Movie app (Facebook & Twitter integration working.)
    • Added Sony Z Walkman app with UPNP/DLNA Media Server.
    • Replaced the default kernel with the kernel from CM10.1 Stable by verygreen.
    • Added BeatsAudio+xLoud+ClearAudio for audio effects and ViPER4Android for the sound engine. Settings I am using.
    • Added Mobile BRAVIA® Engine for improved video processing.
    • Modified Adobe Flash 11.1 with Hulu support.
    • Host level ad blocking. If you are having issues with adblocking see attachments to remove it.
    • Forced all rendering to be done on the GPU. Should help with gaming and make things more smoother. To help improve performance even further see this post.
    • GoogleEars.
    • Kick Ass Kernelizer
    • Auto-zipalign and defragdb on boot
    • Auto Calibration on boot. Only does a few programs each boot. So may take a few reboots to calibrate all of them.
    • Plus many improvements taken from this thread.

I also added some terminal commands.
    Run each command with SU first then the command.
    • v6 - run the V6 SuperCharger script. I would run this as soon as the ROM is setup..

Know bugs
    • Not a bug as such but something you should be aware of. It does take a few reboots to optimise all the apps.
    • V4A XHiFi may do a hot reboot when first getting root, same with Root Browser. This will only happen once and will work fine afterwards. This is only normally an issue if you try getting ROOT on first boot. On the second reboot this doesn't happen.
    • Wifi will turn off then back on while it is setting up wl1271-nvs.bin. Once the file is created Wifi shouldn't disconnect.
    Any more issues please report them.

Xperia-2.3.9-CARBON-JB-B11-ovation.zip - 294.19 MB
    MD5: 05483bc421eb793c9ccf0113323b406d

For the latest version using Google Now Launcher use this rom: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=58493801&postcount=339

Wallpaper: http://blankid.deviantart.com/art/Escape2-347788407

If you would like to use the WALKMAN app from the Sony Xperia Z Ultra you can do so by flashing this: Xperia-Ultra_WALKMAN_SemcMusic.zip. Make sure you boot into the ROM before flashing. If you flash this without booting into the ROM first it will not work.

Most of the features in the Sony Xperia Z Ultra WALKMAN are working but "Music Unlimited" service isn't.
    Xperia-2.4-CARBON-JB-B11-ovation.zip - 332.15 MB

It's still needs a bit more work but for anyone that wants to try it here is the link.
    *Updated*

There is both a CARBON-JB-UNOFFICIAL-B11 and CM10.1 RC2 based ROMs. Also had to do some bug fixes. Last release init.d wasn't enabled. That is now fixed.

Out of the two Xperia-CARBON-JB-UNOFFICIAL-B11-ovation is the more stable one. I haven't come across a single issues, but that's not to say there isn't any. I just haven't found them yet.

Any issues please report them.
    This is the final of this ROM.

The ROM is using the "Yellow kernel".
    Using the "Yellow kernel" with F2FS I am seeing really good benchmarks.

When flashing the ROM it will replace your recovery with TWRP. This version of TWRP can format cache and data to F2FS. Formatting cache and data to F2FS will wipe everything off of the internal SD. So backup before formatting.

Other Changes:

To get AC3 sound working in MX Player I have loaded the Arm v7-Neon codec. Depending on when you download/installed the ROM you may need to update the codec, the linked thread has all the info you need to know if the codec is outdated and needs updating.

The ROM also includes the Nook apps from the Samsung Galaxy Tab ® 4 NOOK Edition.

They are a bit sluggish but do work. For best results when reading a Book, Magazine, Comic etc. set "Expanded desktop" to the power menu and enable it when using one of the NOOK's reading apps.

I have also added some terminal commands to the ROM.
    Each command needs to run as root to work. To do this type SU in the terminal followed by the command you want to run.
    • v6 - run the V6 SuperCharger script.
    • fixalign -ZipAlign AND Fix Permissions
    • vac - SQLite VACUUM & REINDEX to optimize databases
    • zepalign - "ZepAlign" / Wheel Alignment Script (ZipAlign) optimizes all your apps

Bugs:
    The ROM may freeze on the seconded reboot. If this happens just hold the power button until device reboots.

Here is the download:

Full
    Xperia-2.8.3-CARBON-JB-B11-ODEXED-ovation.zip (526M)

Lite
    Xperia-2.8.3-CARBON-JB-B11-ODEXED-LITE-ovation.zip (383M)

The Lite version only comes with the bare necessities, where as the full ROM comes with a full suite of apps (installed to data so easy to uninstall).
    *Updated*

Based on CARBON-JB-UNOFFICIAL-B11 and CM10.1 08/13 kernel.
    Updated Sony Z apps and included the Walkman app.

See OP for download.