[UPDATE, INFO AND LINKS]*PLEASE READ* Concerns about Amon_Ra and Clockworkmod

Search This thread

davenukem

Dec 31, 2008
UPDATE WITH INFORMATION AND LINKS ON HOW TO AVOID PROBLEMS

Through the posts and information that has been brought to my attention your Hboot is not really of significance, it is just your partitions. You can update your Hboot and maintain older partitions.

I bet you're wondering how to discover if you have these partitions. I owe the credit to this command to XhausX. "A petty reliable way to tell is by your /proc/mtd table. If 'cat /proc/mtd' shows an erase size of 20000 you have the old set up. If it shows 40000 you have the new one".

Once you know whether you have the old or new your options are as follows

OLD Partition: Flash Clockwork mod 2.5 or use the unmodified version of Amon_ra found here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=705026&highlight=Amon+Recovery+Custom . Also be aware that you can flash the Amon_ra found in clockwork mod because it is unmodified.

NEW Partition: Flash the updated clockwork recovery mod (3.0) or use a modified version of the recovery found in Zikronix thread here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=829045

Although this is a temporary solution I urge everybody to reach out to developers and offer assistance or bring to their attention the danger of the multiple partitions. I'm unaware if you can put a check into software that would install recoveries but I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard if xhausx script can already distinguish them. Hopefully you all head my warnings. HAPPY ROOTING and GOOD LUCK!

ORIGINAL QUESTION READ ABOVE FOR INSTRUCTIONS

This is going to be in many ways a general warning that will bring something I realized today to the attention of everybody and simultaneously will bring a developer forward to answer the questions I'm about to present. I have a similair thread in the Q & A forums but I wanted to get more coverage for this so that a ton of people don't kill their phones or lose their RSA keys accidentally (have lost mine and it sucks if you live in a 4g area!).

Amon_Ra is a fantastic recovery and has been at 1.8 for a while. In the Hboot 2.2 and 2.10 thread the author brings forth the fact that the partitions for these Hboots has changed and that the modified Amon_ra is made to compensate for this. It is labeled as Amon_ra but it is not truly 1.8 but instead a modified version.

What i take this to mean is that the partitions, where certain information is stored on our phone, was changed for these Hboots and thus the recovery had to be altered to backup and flash information to these new locations. Clockwork mod has now been updated to 3.0 and it fixes this. I'm assuming it scans your phone to see which Hboot you have and acts accordingly.

Now, for the problem

Clockwork mod has an option to flash Amon_ra. However, if you have Hboot 2.2 or 2.10 and this flashes an older Amon_ra or an unmodified for these new hboots(it is much easier to flash recoveries this way and I know i'm not the only one who does it) then if you attempt to nandroid or flash a rom you could very well bork it.

I have searched and found no documentation CONTRARY to this. If there is, point me in that direction and I'll be on my way to check it out and remove this post but I want to make sure nobody accidentally ruins their phone while changing recoveries.

My suggestion to this problem, and if it is in fact a problem I'll be attempting to get into contact with the developers and see if they have a solution. I think it's just a bad idea to have varying versions of Amon_ra floating around that are labeled the same without actually knowing which is for which Hboot.

Thanks for reading and if you have any input please add, I just want to avoid people messing up their phones. I have been through 3 refubs and gone through the rooting process various times and I just want to make sure some noobies don't lose a ton of money in tough economic times because of a simple oversight like this. If the need be we need to put warning out there about this.

Last edited:

zikronix

Feb 7, 2009
Me and TrevE are the ones that discovered this whole thing.

We msg'd both amon_ra and koush and amon quickly threw together a fix. And I tried cw's new recovery on an old and new evo on the new evo it seemd to work but on the old evo it would only back up the boot.img so im all for getting this sorted out...and it is a real problem

here is the work me and treve did

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=843342

The issue is that the "modified one" from the thread reports version 1.8, the version you can "officially" download is 1.8 but i assure you they are VERY different.

The poster below states he uses 1.8 on his 2.02 evo but the question is what version...of 1.8. Yes it has been reported that some of the older evo's that managed to get the 2.xx hboots can use the "official" amon_ra and it works....and it might...however the newer evos some of which are 003 and 004 that have hboot 2.xx need to use the "modified" one

this is where the issue lies

Last edited:
Reactions: 1Brite1

mroneeyedboh

Feb 14, 2008
Its old news that you cannot use anything but Amon_Ra 1.8 on hboot 2.02 and 2.10. DOnt use Clockwork. Sure clockwork fixed it but still needs more testing, from what Ive read. It might be deemed safe, but why not use what works, Amon_RA

gatorran

Oct 30, 2008
Under the bridge in FL
Its old news that you cannot use anything but Amon_Ra 1.8 on hboot 2.02 and 2.10. DOnt use Clockwork. Sure clockwork fixed it but still needs more testing, from what Ive read. It might be deemed safe, but why not use what works, Amon_RA

Do you even read what he wrote???

This is going to be in many ways a general warning that will bring something I realized today to the attention of everybody and simultaneously will bring a developer forward to answer the questions I'm about to present. I have a similair thread in the Q & A forums but I wanted to get more coverage for this so that a ton of people don't kill their phones or lose their RSA keys accidentally (have lost mine and it sucks if you live in a 4g area!).

Amon_Ra is a fantastic recovery and has been at 1.8 for a while. In the Hboot 2.2 and 2.10 thread the author brings forth the fact that the partitions for these Hboots has changed and that the modified Amon_ra is made to compensate for this. It is labeled as Amon_ra but it is not truly 1.8 but instead a modified version.

davenukem

Dec 31, 2008
the poster that said you can only use Amon_ra on hboots 2.2 and 2.10 is incorrect. You can only use a CERTAIN VERSION OF AMON_RA on hboot 2.2 and 2.10. Disregard his post.

I'm not being mean bud but this is incorrect and will only help people mess up their phones.

kthejoker20

Jun 18, 2008
Kenosha
I think what he is trying to say is that there are 2 different versions of "amon ra 1.8" which are both different.

One version fixes the partitions on the newer hboot, and the other one does not.

So, what he is saying is rename the newer amon ra to 1.8.1 or something so that people know they are flashing the right one.

BTW... autoroot has it built it.

lithid-cm

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 1, 2010
Cleveland
the poster that said you can only use Amon_ra on hboots 2.2 and 2.10 is incorrect. You can only use a CERTAIN VERSION OF AMON_RA on hboot 2.2 and 2.10. Disregard his post.

I'm not being mean bud but this is incorrect and will only help people mess up their phones.
amon_ra 1.8 works fine on 2.2 hboots. can't say the same about 2.10 because that isn't my version. I have 2.2 and not issues with 1.8

I think what he is trying to say is that there are 2 different versions of "amon ra 1.8" which are both different.

One version fixes the partitions on the newer hboot, and the other one does not.

So, what he is saying is rename the newer amon ra to 1.8.1 or something so that people know they are flashing the right one.

Ok that makes alot more sense.

davenukem

Dec 31, 2008
See, more testing needs to be done. If what you say is true then perhaps it's only the 2.10 hboot with these new partitions? I think the Amon_ra developer needs to communicate with Koush and discover HOW koush figured out how to distinguish between which phone had which partitions. Realistically though, this is a horrible move by HTC, it's bad enough there are so many hardware revisions floating around.

amon_ra 1.8 works fine on 2.2 hboots. can't say the same about 2.10 because that isn't my version. I have 2.2 and not issues with 1.8

Ok that makes alot more sense.

lithid-cm

Jul 1, 2010
Cleveland
See, more testing needs to be done. If what you say is true then perhaps it's only the 2.10 hboot with these new partitions? I think the Amon_ra developer needs to communicate with Koush and discover HOW koush figured out how to distinguish between which phone had which partitions. Realistically though, this is a horrible move by HTC, it's bad enough there are so many hardware revisions floating around.
In HTC's eyes its working for them... messing up the dev community from rooting... but that my friend is only short lived.

mroneeyedboh

Feb 14, 2008

Oh I was confused at the time I posted. I thought you meant something other than Amon RA 1.8. When I rooted my phone, I was told in the guide to use AmonRA 1.8 because the lesser version was no good. Because like you said the partitions are different in 2.02 and 2.10. Which in turn (again like you said ) can render the 4g obsolete and unresolvable and the inability to possibly flash roms.

Bizdady

Jul 24, 2010
Its gonna suck when us older hardware versions need to get phones repaired. Damn u HTC lol

Sent from my Evo CM6

xHausx

Jul 5, 2010
Central Florida

It is the partition setup, or to be more specific MTD, that matters. The hboot version was thought to be the culprit at first but now we know it is doesn't matter.

So the hboot does not matter when it comes to this. It is all your partition setup.

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App

Last edited:

martonikaj

Nov 20, 2010
Seattle, WA
So is there any downside to upgrading to the latest 3.0.0.2 ClockworkMod Recovery on an older HBOOT version? Will I have issues restoring from older nandroid backups?

zikronix

Feb 7, 2009
So is there any downside to upgrading to the latest 3.0.0.2 ClockworkMod Recovery on an older HBOOT version? Will I have issues restoring from older nandroid backups?

yes because depending on all sorts of variables. in fact i couldnt get cw the new version to work with old hardware and it was acting goofy in new hardware.

the only reason we require the use of the "modified" recovery like haus said is because the partition structure changed. and really has nothing to do with the hboot.

martonikaj

Nov 20, 2010
Seattle, WA
yes because depending on all sorts of variables. in fact i couldnt get cw the new version to work with old hardware and it was acting goofy in new hardware.

the only reason we require the use of the "modified" recovery like haus said is because the partition structure changed. and really has nothing to do with the hboot.

So i should stick with 2.5.1.2 for now? lol

I flashed 3.0.0.0 when it came out, and it led to all kinds of crazy issues. It worked just fine in the recovery menu etc. but i ended up having some bootloops and such.

Also, ROmManager is prompting that 3.0.0.2 of CWM is available. thoughts?

Last edited:

ZombieReagan

Jul 4, 2009
How about providing links to the proper version of Amon_Ra's recovery in the OP? Granted, it'd be nice if he changed the version number, but having the right one somewhere obvious would be nice in the meantime.

lithid-cm

Jul 1, 2010
Cleveland
Thought I would mention that I flashed clockwork from rom manager. Works fine on my 2.2. Just did a back and some flashing. All goof

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATE WITH INFORMATION AND LINKS ON HOW TO AVOID PROBLEMS

Through the posts and information that has been brought to my attention your Hboot is not really of significance, it is just your partitions. You can update your Hboot and maintain older partitions.

I bet you're wondering how to discover if you have these partitions. I owe the credit to this command to XhausX. "A petty reliable way to tell is by your /proc/mtd table. If 'cat /proc/mtd' shows an erase size of 20000 you have the old set up. If it shows 40000 you have the new one".

Once you know whether you have the old or new your options are as follows

OLD Partition: Flash Clockwork mod 2.5 or use the unmodified version of Amon_ra found here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=705026&highlight=Amon+Recovery+Custom . Also be aware that you can flash the Amon_ra found in clockwork mod because it is unmodified.

NEW Partition: Flash the updated clockwork recovery mod (3.0) or use a modified version of the recovery found in Zikronix thread here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=829045

Although this is a temporary solution I urge everybody to reach out to developers and offer assistance or bring to their attention the danger of the multiple partitions. I'm unaware if you can put a check into software that would install recoveries but I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard if xhausx script can already distinguish them. Hopefully you all head my warnings. HAPPY ROOTING and GOOD LUCK!

ORIGINAL QUESTION READ ABOVE FOR INSTRUCTIONS

What i take this to mean is that the partitions, where certain information is stored on our phone, was changed for these Hboots and thus the recovery had to be altered to backup and flash information to these new locations. Clockwork mod has now been updated to 3.0 and it fixes this. I'm assuming it scans your phone to see which Hboot you have and acts accordingly.

Now, for the problem

Clockwork mod has an option to flash Amon_ra. However, if you have Hboot 2.2 or 2.10 and this flashes an older Amon_ra or an unmodified for these new hboots(it is much easier to flash recoveries this way and I know i'm not the only one who does it) then if you attempt to nandroid or flash a rom you could very well bork it.

I have searched and found no documentation CONTRARY to this. If there is, point me in that direction and I'll be on my way to check it out and remove this post but I want to make sure nobody accidentally ruins their phone while changing recoveries.

My suggestion to this problem, and if it is in fact a problem I'll be attempting to get into contact with the developers and see if they have a solution. I think it's just a bad idea to have varying versions of Amon_ra floating around that are labeled the same without actually knowing which is for which Hboot.

Thanks for reading and if you have any input please add, I just want to avoid people messing up their phones. I have been through 3 refubs and gone through the rooting process various times and I just want to make sure some noobies don't lose a ton of money in tough economic times because of a simple oversight like this. If the need be we need to put warning out there about this.
    I use hboot version because I have Ben told the phones that ship with the newer hboot versions have the new partitions. Just an easy way to speak about the phones with the problem at hand.

That was the thinking for awhile but that would make things way to simple for HTC. The new hboots are backward compatible so some of the new phones are shipping with the old partition structure and a newer hboot. Add to that the new camera hardware and you have mass confusion.

A petty reliable way to tell is by your /proc/mtd table. If 'cat /proc/mtd' shows an erase size of 20000 you have the old set up. If it shows 40000 you have the new one.

This is what my autoroot script uses to tell them apart and so far those are the only two variations it's found.

Me and TrevE are the ones that discovered this whole thing.

We msg'd both amon_ra and koush and amon quickly threw together a fix. And I tried cw's new recovery on an old and new evo on the new evo it seemd to work but on the old evo it would only back up the boot.img so im all for getting this sorted out...and it is a real problem

here is the work me and treve did

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=843342

The issue is that the "modified one" from the thread reports version 1.8, the version you can "officially" download is 1.8 but i assure you they are VERY different.

The poster below states he uses 1.8 on his 2.02 evo but the question is what version...of 1.8. Yes it has been reported that some of the older evo's that managed to get the 2.xx hboots can use the "official" amon_ra and it works....and it might...however the newer evos some of which are 003 and 004 that have hboot 2.xx need to use the "modified" one

this is where the issue lies
    Mad props to you guys. Booted no problem and flashed just fine. Thanks so much for your help!

evo, It's the poop!
    NP Nice to know that even with the new partitions clockwork is broken