Getting HSPA+ on T-Mobile?

Search This thread

bubblebuddyi

Jul 3, 2008
I'm new to T-Mobile, was a HSPA+ ever discovered for us? Any way to get it on the S5 yet?

Sent from my SM-G900T using xda app-developers app

MattMJB0188

Apr 30, 2011
I'm new to T-Mobile, was a HSPA+ ever discovered for us? Any way to get it on the S5 yet?

What are you asking? T-Mobile primary network is EDGE, then HSPA, then LTE. If you want to use only HSPA, you can go to settings>mobile networks>network mode. WCDMA only

bubblebuddyi

Jul 3, 2008
What are you asking? T-Mobile primary network is EDGE, then HSPA, then LTE. If you want to use only HSPA, you can go to settings>mobile networks>network mode. WCDMA only

Sorry, I'm coming from ATT where we had to do weird things to unlock HSPA. My issue is I'm on EDGE more than anything and things don't even load on EDGE. I remember being stuck on E sometimes on ATT, but unlocking HSPA fixed that.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk

jamboxboy

Aug 2, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4
There's no unlocking that Ive ever heard of. It sounds like you just get poor reception. Probably an area that doesn't get 4g or Lte. Check Tmobile coverage map.

BlackAlpha7

Sep 27, 2013
Yeah, my guess is coverage too. Do go in and check that option that they listed above for your network type. In your situation I would try setting it to WCDMA Only - this will FORCE it to connect to 4G (HSPA+) and if you have no signal for 4g you will have 0 bars so it is a good test to see how that signal is in your area aside from the network map.

risestar2

Jul 31, 2011
You will only be able to use T-Mobile HSPA+ if you are using a T-Mobile branded S5. The AT&T S5 does not support the 1700 AWS band from T-Mobile so you will not be able to get it and will only have access to 2G/3G/4G and LTE (no 4G+)

bubblebuddyi

Jul 3, 2008
You will only be able to use T-Mobile HSPA+ if you are using a T-Mobile branded S5. The AT&T S5 does not support the 1700 AWS band from T-Mobile so you will not be able to get it and will only have access to 2G/3G/4G and LTE (no 4G+)

Yeah, my guess is coverage too. Do go in and check that option that they listed above for your network type. In your situation I would try setting it to WCDMA Only - this will FORCE it to connect to 4G (HSPA+) and if you have no signal for 4g you will have 0 bars so it is a good test to see how that signal is in your area aside from the network map.

Thanks, I'm using a branded t mobile s5 but I'm either on edge or 4G, mostly edge. I didn't realize hspa+ was just another word for 4g. So I guess I'm stuck with edge

risestar2

Jul 31, 2011
T-Mobile rural coverage is quite poor in most areas, however they've committed to modernizing their rural areas now that they've got the major centers but it might take a year or better to get it all done. I'm planning to go to at&t in great meantime now that their rates have come down. I'm stuck in 2g land at home and work here

bubblebuddyi

Jul 3, 2008
T-Mobile rural coverage is quite poor in most areas, however they've committed to modernizing their rural areas now that they've got the major centers but it might take a year or better to get it all done. I'm planning to go to at&t in great meantime now that their rates have come down. I'm stuck in 2g land at home and work here

Hopefully they fix the service period, there's times when I'm full LTE but can't connect to anything.