We would like to get the opportunity to unlock bootloader in LG phones

Search This thread

biostar

Sep 22, 2010
esfehan
Last edited:

bizzshow26

Mar 4, 2010
I had my heart set on getting this on the 11th until I got a reply from lg saying the boot loader will be locked. Makes it hard to put this s3 down or pass up the note knowing that. So I'll wait in the wings if the boot loader is unlocked by devs here I may pick it up but not before

jaredcormier

Oct 7, 2010
Just Sprint?

I had my heart set on getting this on the 11th until I got a reply from lg saying the boot loader will be locked. Makes it hard to put this s3 down or pass up the note knowing that. So I'll wait in the wings if the boot loader is unlocked by devs here I may pick it up but not before
Just the Sprint one, or did they say anything about the AT&T variant too?

babymatteo

Aug 30, 2011
SoCal
i read at android central that the optimus g got rooted

Yah you don't need an unlocked bootloader to gain root access.

Doesn't mean anything...yet...

+1. If you guys really want to get this beasty phone...i suggest you guys start signing the petition and pass it around to your friends and other forums. It's time to put an end to locked bootloaders by the manufacturers. It's our money so we should be able to use any way we want it.

Snow_fox

Jun 6, 2010
OnePlus 7 Pro
How much good will a petition actually do here?

Anyway, I sincerely hope there is a practical way for it to be unlocked.

I would never expect for the device itself to come unlocked but, I think it's fairly reasonable to hope there is a manufacturer provided way to unlock it.

jaredcormier

Oct 7, 2010
Yes a sorce at LG told Android Central today that it will indeed have a Locked Bootloader.
Not a "source," it was LG tech support. I got the same "no reply" reply which I will gladly post for you below:

LG Support said:
Good Morning, Jared!

Thank you for contacting LG Electronics, I understand your concern, and it will be my pleasure to assist you as far as I am able.

The LG E970 will not be unlocked but I cannot say that it will be unlockable, but that I am looking into and will get back with you once an answer has been received...

Snow_fox

Jun 6, 2010
OnePlus 7 Pro
Yeah, I don't know about LG specifically, but most tech support people don't know jack. Asking tech support is almost always less useful than checking XDA... or usually even a quick google search (heck, that's often what tech support resorts to)

Yeah pretty much.

I'm still hopeful XDA will find a way around the locked bootloader.

I think it was the S3 or the Gnex on verizon had like 2,000$ bounty on breaking the bootloader.

AndroidHoneyComb

Oct 6, 2012
DC
We would like to get the opportunity to unlock bootloader in LG phones

Petition about possibility to unlock bootloader

http://www.change.org/petitions/lg-electronics-seoul-we-would-like-to-get-the-opportunity-to-unlock-bootloader-in-lg-phones

edit:
Please Guys, I have the email for LG Developers that will help us to convey our votes to them
Email: developer@lge.com
Help us to send requesting to unlock the boot-loader
Best regards,

nice 1000 on the petition

jaredcormier

Oct 7, 2010
Yeah, I don't know about LG specifically, but most tech support people don't know jack. Asking tech support is almost always less useful than checking XDA... or usually even a quick google search (heck, that's often what tech support resorts to)
Professor Google usually has the answer... An XDA-style unboxing would be nice...

rumthin

Jul 26, 2011
Toronto
I doubt it would be beneficial even if this phone had an unlocked bootloader. LG would likely never provide any meaningful support in the form of driver, kernel sources etc, so any functional AOSP/AOKP roms would be non existent.

Top Liked Posts