[ROM/A1/Recovery][Wifi+3G+TMobile][4.4.4/2.8][Oct 27]Omni Based Rom and TWRP

Search This thread

AAccount

Sep 8, 2010
Is Netflix working on this ROM. Asking because there is problems on the Nameless ROM.

Sendt fra min GT-I9305 med Tapatalk

Somebody on the omni team got netflix working on the tegra2 asus transformer. I activated the BoardConfigCommon flag they created for this fix. I'm not sure if it works for us though since I have no netflix. However there are **other** streaming websites to watch TV and movies :cyclops:

Last edited:
Reactions: thra1982

AAccount

Sep 8, 2010
Forgot to mention that new builds are up. They use the cache partition for the dalvik cache. It's a really simple 2 line boot script ?

Sent from my GT-P7510

ajabhi95

Mar 14, 2010
Chennai
Thanks for the awesome ROM man :good: Everything works like a charm although there is a minor bug that I've encountered. Random colors keep scattering over the video that is being recorded.

AAccount

Sep 8, 2010
Cool rom for our old tablet.
AAccount tried to format the system under F2FS?
Thanks to the work.;)
There's no more room in the recovery image for an f2fs kernel module. There's not even enough place in the recovery to enable kernel modules at all. The recovery kernel is so stripped down to the bear essentials ?

Sent from my GT-P7510

thra1982

Jun 22, 2012
Svendborg
Thumbs for for this ROM. Just installed it, and everything is running nice and smooth (as smooth as this old tablet can be ?) ?

Sendt fra min GT-P7500 med Tapatalk

AAccount

Sep 8, 2010

I think that was a problem in Android 4.3 as well. I have no bluetooth speakers or headphones. I wanted to try and use my laptop as an overpriced bluetooth speaker but the people who are in charge of the Linux blueZ bluetooth software, in their infinite wisdom, apparently rewrote their stuff from v4.0 --> v5.0. Couple this with the fact that the Fedora team instantly jumped on the new version head first without thinking. This means all bluetooth programs are instantly broken because of the new version is not backwards compatible. So at this point, my laptop has just the "new" "better" bluetooth framework but nothing that uses it. I'm assuming the utilities will be updated eventually.

[Aside]
I actually prefer wired speakers/headphones because there of no sound compression and I don't have another thing to charge. (Not that I'll probably notice because I can't tell above 96kbps.) My main speakers are salvaged Altec Lansing speakers from a 1998 sound system. The internal electronics died so I wired the speakers manually to a 3.5mm plug. I guess it goes well with my salvaged 2004 era pentium 4 desktop which is my daily driver. Seriously, I paid $zero for the speakers or computer. It's maxed out for its time and with Linux it cold starts to the desktop in under 45seconds every time. (When I say starts to the desktop I mean I get my desktop complete with background and icons, AND the hard disk LED stops flashing.) That'll make me feel guilty to eventually replace it since some Windows laptops in BestBuy take over 45 seconds to boot (their hard disk LED keeps on going and going long after you hit the desktop). Obviously the ROM builds come from my laptop though...
[/Aside]

Reactions: tokomotxo

jaibar

Feb 2, 2011
Underwater, no Sh!t
picasaweb.google.com
[Q] [noob] not needed system apks?

I apologize for the noobish question, but I couldn't find if it has been asked before:

Are all those "phone" system apks really needed for a WiFi-only device? I mean, ROMs for this devide can include stuff like voice dialer, phone, mobile data, messaging/mms etc. etc. Is it safe to remove them altogether?

Reactions: sherri

Olivier V

Jan 25, 2013
I apologize for the noobish question, but I couldn't find if it has been asked before:

Are all those "phone" system apks really needed for a WiFi-only device? I mean, ROMs for this devide can include stuff like voice dialer, phone, mobile data, messaging/mms etc. etc. Is it safe to remove them altogether?

Yes, it is safe to remove them. I always do it and had no problems.

Sent from my GT-I8190 using XDA Free mobile app

Reactions: sherri and jaibar

ajabhi95

Mar 14, 2010
Chennai
I have run into an issue with Bluetooth sync with my car. When I connect my tab through Bluetooth to my car, music plays through the tablet speakers and not through the car speakers. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Thanks in advance.

AAccount

Sep 8, 2010
Hey @AAccount . Is there a way to use this rom on p4tmo?
If there isn't could you please explain where a place to start would be?
I built a little from source, that's about it.

I'm not sure what the differences between the TMobile and international 3G tablets are. I did make CM10.2 TMobile builds when android 4.3 was "the thing". What kind of demand is there for the TMobile version at this point anyways? I may consider letting it run in the dead of night one day while I'm sleeping.

Incredible ROM man. Totally awesome. Great job. It's really fast! Only KK & JB endemic bugs: bluetooth headset/speakers, WiFi direct, random colors in the upper side of HD video recording, few screen flickering, network activity not showing. Recently posted this on Nameless KK 4.4.3 thread.

Ever since pershoot left some of the "meatier" bugs will be really hard to fix since I'm no expert. Together with kasper_h we got kitkat up and running with a lot of loosely guided trial and error involving mostly error. I appreciate the rave review but keep in mind that BeeGee and kasper_h also work hard on their roms. My personal opinion is that omni rom runs faster than CM and its derivatives. I think omni is a direct aosp derivative with their team adding in features they like. I ran CM11 and my omni version on my former I9000M and I felt that omni was more responsive. For the I9000m I didn't touch a single line of code. Of course I pulled in some of the best CM features like their amazing calculator and superuser. For whatever reason the omni team insists on using a proprietary supersu...???

I have run into an issue with Bluetooth sync with my car. When I connect my tab through Bluetooth to my car, music plays through the tablet speakers and not through the car speakers. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Thanks in advance.

Unfortunately I have no bluetooth accessories so I can't really look into the issue. I use the 3.5mm jack on my car with a long wire running into the passenger's leg area :p

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4112216

I flashed the new twrp in op, did a full wipe, and installed rom + gapps... but my internal sd doesn't mount so things force close like crazy. I tried a few times and with/without gapps, but same results. Any thoughts?

In the meantime, I went back to 4.2.2 and everything's fine..

Lucas Kado

Sep 6, 2013
Zaragoza
Xiaomi Redmi Note 7
Ever since pershoot left some of the "meatier" bugs will be really hard to fix since I'm no expert. Together with kasper_h we got kitkat up and running with a lot of loosely guided trial and error involving mostly error. I appreciate the rave review but keep in mind that BeeGee and kasper_h also work hard on their roms. My personal opinion is that omni rom runs faster than CM and its derivatives. I think omni is a direct aosp derivative with their team adding in features they like. I ran CM11 and my omni version on my former I9000M and I felt that omni was more responsive. For the I9000m I didn't touch a single line of code. Of course I pulled in some of the best CM features like their amazing calculator and superuser. For whatever reason the omni team insists on using a proprietary supersu...???

I didn't ever pretend to scorn neither BeeGee's nor kasper_h's work. I know how demanding this is and I very appreciate everything you all developers do. English is not my mother tongue so maybe I wrote things I didn't want to mean... Please read it with caution.

You really made me an impression due to the responsiveness of this ROM, and it is something I've missing for so long that I thought it couldn't be like this, that our tablet was just too old. Anyway, it has never been as responsive as a phone of its age, even with much less HW potential on the paper, something I've never understand...

AAccount

Sep 8, 2010
I didn't ever pretend to scorn neither BeeGee's nor kasper_h's work. I know how demanding this is and I very appreciate everything you all developers do. English is not my mother tongue so maybe I wrote things I didn't want to mean... Please read it with caution.

You really made me an impression due to the responsiveness of this ROM, and it is something I've missing for so long that I thought it couldn't be like this, that our tablet was just too old. Anyway, it has never been as responsive as a phone of its age, even with much less HW potential on the paper, something I've never understand...

I think the speed is from omni rom. I noticed a day and night difference on my I9000M. Not sure what the reason is for that device. I think part of the reason omni is faster on our tablet has something to do with omni's reworked screenshot implementation. I distinctly remember in CM10.1 and CM10.2 with the new 2 bar tablet ui if you switched it back to the 1 bar UI the responsiveness instantly went up. If you disable screenshot on CM10.2 with the 2 bar ui you get the responsiveness of the current omni rom. When kasper_h told me omni got screenshot working I was hesitant to enable it but he said this time it was different. I had to see it to believe it and to this day I'm still surprised. CM's and Omni's screenshot implementations are both compatibility hacks to work around the lack of sources for our tablet. I guess somehow Omni has a much more efficient work around. It also means Samsung/NVidia wrote sh***y drivers.

As another side effect of the screenshot workaround, I can finally use live wallpapers. I remember even back on stock honeycomb, every live wallpaper I tried caused the launcher UI to lag horribly.

But a big thank you for the positive review though :cyclops:

Last edited:
Reactions: Lucas Kado

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Summarized Standard Disclaimer: use at your own risk. I use it at mine.
    *Full wipe recommended if coming from another kitkat rom*
    MAKE SURE TO HAVE A BROWSER APK. THERE IS NO MORE STOCK BROWSER. For firefox see below.

My personal build "Diamond Rom 4.4" is based on omnirom with the following additions:
    • CM Calculator (the newly redone one they're proud of)
    • CM File Manager
    • CM Wallpapers
    • Bash shell
    • Nano text editor
    • Powertop
    • Koush's full featured open source superuser (and it's INTEGRATED into settings :cyclops: )
    • Carbon rom blue balls wallpaper
    • Cyanogenmod port of 2 column settings adapted to Omni rom.
    • Omni floating window

I've added a few of my personal touches which include
    • Batter circle color changing: green 100%-51% yellow 50%-16% red 15%-0% This was my favorite I9000M framework-res mod that I've missed since switching to CM7.2 way back.
    • Killed lock screen music full screen (personal privacy thing when riding public transportation)
    • Disable android external storage management: messes with ext4 formatted hard drives or multi partitioned hard drives. Use the unix style mount command
    • Disable hardware keyboard on boot: disabled but not removed. You'll have to manually turn it on
    • Removed camera sounds
    • Disable SELinux at the kernel level. It's even disabled on my laptop/desktop at the kernel because it seems like it's more trouble than it's worth.
    • Put the dalvik cache in the cache partition. Don't waste the data partition for it. :cyclops:
    • And of course, comes bundled with my A1 kernel :cyclops:

Every thing I've tested: camera, youtube hd, sound, gps, usb otg(use manual mount command) etc work.

*Instructions*
    First time flashing omni:
    -Read second post FAQ and other important information.
    -Flash TWRP (you can flash twrp over cwm from cwm if you're in that situation)
    -Reboot into new recovery
    -Make recovery backup (optional)
    -Run Titanium Backup (highly recommended)
    -Full wipe
    -Format system partition
    -Install ROM
    -Install gapps
    -Reboot :cyclops:

Subsequent flashes:
    -Install ROM

Downloads
    Mediafire Wifi download folder with md5sum file
    Mediafire 3G download folder with md5sum file
    Mediafire TMobile download folder with md5sum file
    *Authorization to download is just a captcha. Simply enter the text in the picture or name the item being advertised in the picture.* Mediafire sure beats sh***y sites like uploaded.net or rapidgator

A1 Kernel (as its own download)
    V1.9.2: Security fix made aware by cyanogenmod, specifically this. The commit message on my github has a copy and paste mistake. It should list both of those security flaws as patched instead of the same one twice. Oops :cyclops: Security fix comes with ALL roms June 28 and onwards.
    3G/Wifi 6ff199d6c9037d222a70ec0c561c8028
    TMobile a675fd353ad3ad7dbf8e6bf2109fa360

TWRP Recovery
    2.7.1.0 Wifi 6c995325e749e7561893e398847b09a0
    2.7.1.0 3G 8fa04be69d0faf3d9a134e829ddff680
    2.7.1.0 Wifi July 8 a8d12c13aac7430a319369069d814e72
    2.7.1.0 3G July 8 dc1c50622c29c621f29b95f4c53734ea
    2.7.1.0 Wifi August 11 b2c21e8fd58dc38a9c8b7669031b84b1
    2.7.1.0 3G August 11 9f48defe78391e63a9053cbd281f738f
    2.7.1.0 TMobile August 11 87fb29c803a2e3a56d98a1475c5fce8f
    2.8.0.0 Wifi cfdac70d0ccac34cf220887eab72f8b0
    2.8.0.0 3G d7918eb397f54c484e04a6d5cb07945c
    2.8.0.0 TMobile aaf7c6d2455ca32178ec846f5186c774

Newer versions of firefox explicitly disable flash on tegra2. Use my firefox mod which is just normal firefox with a hacked tegra2 blacklisting mechanism. Don't use the old firefox apk. It has unpatched security holes.

Changelog: omnirom gerrit

Sources: https://github.com/AAccount?tab=repositories Has my device trees as well as all the omni repos I forked with my additions.

Credits:
    Kasper_h: helping to make 4.4 possible
    pershoot: original device tree from CM10.1
    Omni team: providing great starter rom and keeping it TF101 compatible
    fred6681: original gapps package. I just removed the 4.4.2 check
    Cyanogenmod team: rom extras like calculator, superuser, to fill in Omni's missing holes and 2 panel settings template.

XDA:DevDB Information
    Omnirom+ 4.4 for Galaxy Tab 10.1, ROM for the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

Contributors
    AAccount
    ROM OS Version: 4.4.x KitKat
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.1.x
    Based On: Omni

Version Information

Created 2014-10-12
    Last Updated 2014-10-11
    New builds are finally up. Instead of posting links to each build I'm sharing the entire folder. Builds starting from today have their md5 sum text file uploaded because I just discovered it was there :p

It's just the usual omni sync. For 3G users, this is probably the first *working* build with the tinted bar feature that omni put in the rom.

Enjoy everyone.
    Hey guys I'm really sorry for not attending to the thread over the last week but I have a lot of school work currently. Unfortunately, I probably won't be able to put up a new build or attend much to the thread for the next few weeks. I did make twrp 2.8.1.0 for my tablet but I didn't have time to test it. I think you can see on github the new build flags for the new twrp.

Again, sorry in advanced. :crying:

Oh yeah, but I do still plan to work on this tablet since I have no plans to replace it with a newer model.
    I know it looks like I keep replying to myself but everytime it's something good or useful :cyclops:

Tonight, there is a new recovery TWRP 2.8.0.0. Feature highlights of the new version
    • Error messages print in red color
    • MTP access to your data in recovery!!
    • Recovery kernel recompiled with towel root patch.

The second feature took a bit of trial and error to get working. Hopefully you NEVER see the first one in action :cyclops: As for the third feature, who the heck is gonna use an exploit from recovery considering everything's already running as root :p Well I needed to recompile the kernel for space saving.
    Omni Progress

Just an update on how things are going. There appear to be some very MAJOR QUIRKS in android 5.0. First of all, gapps doesn't appear to be properly saved when I flash each new nightly. Yes I do have the builds run @ 1am every night on my aging laptop. Now that shouldn't mean anything as you can always reflash gapps. However, this DOES cause a problem as the wifi service will always crash and cause a soft boot loop. As in, it will boot but keep going back to the boot animation every 5 seconds. The solution appears to be to flash the gapps and nightly together in twrp. I suspect this has to do with google's wifi location spy thingy I always opt out of.

Flashing nightlies is another issue. Fresh from my laptop they don't flash. update-binary needs to be swapped out to a kit kat one and the install script needs to slightly edited so that it isn't passing 5 arguments in for mount.

I got a nasty surprise last night that the stock email app doesn't work. It just crashes when you launch it. This is unacceptable to me because I HATE the gmail threaded email view. I managed to fix it by commenting out bad code. The new stock email app is actually very pretty once you it works. It's such a shame they shipped it all f***ed up.

Lastly, there are some random reboots that I have gotten the logcats for but don't appear easy to fix if I'm even good enough to do it. One of those random reboots was the gapps issue mentioned earlier. The other I've only caught once. However, omni seems to be doing a good job of keeping up to sync with google's many iterations of android-5.0 releases. (I started on r5. They're now on r7). Let's hope google gets their @$$ in gear in the lollipop code quality with each new iteration.

Check my github for all these changes. I haven't gotten to watch any anime since last Friday ?