[ROM][AOSP] 4.0.4 ICS | Evervolv | 2.2.0b1 | 5/20/12

Search This thread

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Has anyone else been getting groups of text messages all at once?

I haven't, I'm getting mine as normal. I'm with PagePlus, though, although they use the Verizon towers since they're owned by the big V. FWIW everyone texts my Google Voice instead of my real cell number, and I send through GV as well.

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Does anyone else have a strangely behaving battery with any of these (Test 1, 2 or 3)? I don't know if it was the sheer amount of playing around I was doing especially under Test 1, but my battery life is strange and generally very short. This was including before Test 3 with the .35 kernel, in which the proximity sensor doesn't work.

Like I said, generally, the battery loses charge very fast (as I watch it if I play with it for a couple minutes). Even charging seems a little strange. One moment it's at one percent and then a seeming pretty short time later it's jumped much higher. Most recently this happened at 92% then I saw it at 99% a very short time later, but I'm pretty sure I've seen this behavior partway through the charge cycle, too.

If I have to, I can restore a backup I have of GSB 4.5 and see how it does then. I just hate even temporarily giving up the ultra-stable GPS this ROM seems to have. :)

FYI I bought this battery last year, and up until several months ago when my girlfriend knocked my phone out of my hand at the grocery store, I alternated between my new and original battery. The new one isn't an OEM, I got it from Batteries Plus I think; it's about the same mAH as the stock one, maybe 50 or 100 higher at the most.

Last edited:

insink71

Nov 9, 2010
Greenville, SC
teamblueridge.org
Every once in a blue moon...
HTC phones have a wierd tendancy that over some time, or me not fully charging before flashing a new ROM, their battery stats get mucked up. There are some pretty in depth threads on recalibrating the battery, but I generally have (when this oddity presents itself), just fully charged and either: 1. Drop to a cwm recovery and wiped (battery) stats (I believe in advance submenu) or 2. downloaded Nemas app on the market (which probably does same)...
Don't know if those simple suggestions may help you but worth a try (if you haven't already tried them).
Edit: Flashing new ROM or reflashing same unneccessary (having same actually provides for better baseline comparison of battery life).

Regards,
Rob

Sent from my HTC_A510c using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Every once in a blue moon...
HTC phones have a wierd tendancy that over some time, or me not fully charging before flashing a new ROM, their battery stats get mucked up. There are some pretty in depth threads on recalibrating the battery, but I generally have (when this oddity presents itself), just fully charged and either: 1. Drop to a cwm recovery and wiped (battery) stats (I believe in advance submenu) or 2. downloaded Nemas app on the market (which probably does same)...
Don't know if those simple suggestions may help you but worth a try (if you haven't already tried them).
Edit: Flashing new ROM or reflashing same unneccessary (having same actually provides for better baseline comparison of battery life).

Regards,
Rob

Sent from my HTC_A510c using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for your input. I did try a simple full charge and then wipe battery stats (I did in Amon RA, but I do use CWM for other things all the time). I forgot one other very good example of what I've experienced, probably the most extreme example. My phone was at 82% when I went to bed, and when I woke up (at the most 10 hours later) it was down to 4%.

I don't do that much on my phone other than practical, everyday things. I never leave 3G Data or WIFI on when I'm not using them. I don't have that many apps installed. Almost all are part of my standard restores via Titanium Backup after any ROM flash, and actually I have no more than half of the normal apps installed than I usually do in the interest of having this Beta ROM run as best as it can. The few apps which are relatively new to me: Dialer2, aCalendar, and Zeam Launcher; I installed instead of Dialer One, Jorte and Go Launcher or Nemus Launcher in the interest of finding replacement apps that take up way less memory and CPU cycles.

I will admit that I am currently using Notification Toggle but I had odd battery behavior when I solely used this ROM's native notification power widgets as well.

I've had the behavior when I haven't used the GPS for days, too.

I've been running without any home screen widgets since Test 3 came out, it seems to help with memory some. I normally have 45-80MB of RAM left.

In the past I had tried various methods of recalibrating the battery (other than the basic that you mentioned) with unknown results. One of another million authorities on the subject of Li-Ion battery life claimed it was bad to both charge it to 100% or let it drain out completely and that it was most efficient/effective to keep a phone battery between 40-80% full whenever possible or practical.

Too bad I don't think there's a way to tell a phone to stop charging when it reaches lower than 100% AFAIK.

NOW, on the other hand. Just now I did several things on my phone, took three screenshots, connected to WIFI, emailed the screenshots to myself, and surprisingly based on past experience, the phone never changed from 75% battery.

I don't really know if anything indicated in the reported battery usage is out of the ordinary. It doesn't appear like it is to me.

lemonoid

Jun 15, 2011
Boone, NC
For those of you who feel a little.... slow...laggy...or definitely just feeling left in the dust with the co-first release of Android in the US, this will definitely help ICS feel more 'homey' on the Eris. I'm sure plenty of you have heard of V6 SuperCharger, used it, or are using it. Well if you used it on Gingerbread and now are using it on ICS, you know that for it to work properly you have to have a patched services.jar. And if you are on ICS, using it, and didn't know that, then I guarantee you didn't see any results from the V6. I'm not a partner of zeppelinrox or anybody involved with the V6, I just absolutely love its results. When the Eris was my every day device, I didn't really notice the effect, but when I switched to dual-core and started overclocking, I started to notice every bit of lag that did or did not happen. SO when I started compiling a new ROM today I'm working on for the Eris, I decided to boot it up and pull a couple of proprietary files from it, and noticed how horribly laggy it was. So I'm helping everyone out in keeping you from having to go into your phone, pull out the services.jar and have it patched by giving you the download link here, this is the services.jar file Now this should be patched for different ROMs, so if you switch to another ICS ROM, the smart thing to do would be pull its jar file and patch it. But this one is especially for Evervolv. This is isn't the flashable file, so read below for directions on how to correctly implement the patch. On the download page there is the option for a CWM flashable file, but this is just as easy and you don't have to go to recovery to do it.
Download and run V6 SuperCharger (if you don't want to have to reboot twice wait until after you do the next steps)
Mount /system as read/write
copy the patched services.jar file to /system/framework/ (use ADB or a root enabled file manager)
Type the following commands in a terminal/command prompt:
chown 0.0 /system/framework/services.jar
chmod 644 /system/framework/services.jar
Now reboot.

If you start to get laggy after a couple days, run the V6 script again and choose option 18, the System Flush. It really helps.
All credit goes to zepplinrox and OOM Priority Charger. And thanks to the Evervolv team for giving the Eris community an ICS build.

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
For those of you who feel a little.... slow...

I'll double-check later to be sure, but I made a nandroid using CWM before trying to apply any changes to my services.jar. I downloaded both the flashable and the non-flashable versions. I used Root Explorer to copy the file over, replacing the old, but then the stock (this ROM) Terminal Emulator wouldn't work (it does normally), so I then further used Root Explorer to change the owner and permissions I believe correctly, the same as the terminal commands would've done.

I assumed a reboot would be necessary so I did, but it would never stop booting (I don't think it actually bootlooped, but I was busy driving at the time so... :) ) I left it for probably 10 minutes. So then I tried flashing the zip version, on top of what I already did because I figured it wouldn't make any difference that I wasn't flashing it over my non-customized services.jar since it should replace it either way.

That gave the same result, assuming it had actually done anything at all of course since you indicate that method might not work anyway.

Like I said, I'll double-check these results later, and I'll have a different Terminal Emulator installed so that hopefully I might be able to use it after I copy the services.jar file over. I will also double-check the MD5s., didn't have time to do that last night.

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Camera is working under Test 3 with the .35 kernel!!!! The first time I loaded it, I wasn't sure. It was better than before but I didn't succeed in taking a picture. At first I tried the trackball but eventually I tried the screen button above the trackball. I was able to exit the Camera app just fine, though, and didn't have to reboot.

I just loaded it again and just tried the screen button and I was able to take 3-4 pictures reasonably fast and just fine! It might still have been slightly slower than with a non-beta ROM, but definitely useable.

Thanks, MongooseHelix!!!!! I'm assuming it was mainly the kernel that did it?

Edit: I just noticed that you said it doesn't focus, and I checked - you're right. Darn, I thought I saw the app focusing before it took the picture, and I couldn't tell from the thumbnail that it wasn't. Oh well!

Last edited:

jaebond

Dec 22, 2010
I've been patching my services.jar and they have worked just fine. If anyone is interested, here is the one I downloaded:

services.jar

I used adb to switch the permissions. Also, be sure to run supercharger to make sure it worked (if you are "100%" supercharged).

By the way, my trackball occasionally flashes like I am getting a call. Anyone else?

Last edited:

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I've been patching my services.jar and they have worked just fine. If anyone is interested, here is the one I downloaded:

services.jar

I used adb to switch the permissions. Also, be sure to run supercharger to make sure it worked (if you are "100%" supercharged).

By the way, my trackball occasionally flashes like I am getting a call. Anyone else?

Hello fellow Columbusian ??? :)

Anyway, the link only takes me to an info page for yourself at OSU's domain. I'd be interested in trying yours, besides testing lemonoid's more thoroughly.

I don't have to have used SuperCharger yet before swapping the services.jar files do I?

My trackball flashes only when I get notifications for text messages or calls. I think emails, too. Do you get yours at other times?

jaebond

Dec 22, 2010
Hello fellow Columbusian ??? :)

Anyway, the link only takes me to an info page for yourself at OSU's domain. I'd be interested in trying yours, besides testing lemonoid's more thoroughly.

I don't have to have used SuperCharger yet before swapping the services.jar files do I?

My trackball flashes only when I get notifications for text messages or calls. I think emails, too. Do you get yours at other times?

Yep, I am a Columbusian as of last summer. :)

I fixed the link. I forgot to add on the /services.jar at the end. I have never tried using the new services.jar without supercharging first. I guess if the system doesn't know what to do with the changes that get made, it could cause problems.

If you would rather get the services.jar from the source, here is the website they made up that patches it: http://android.mimic.ca

Yeah, I get the trackball flashing other times too. Most recently, right after my phone booted this morning, the trackball was doing the flashing just like when you get a call.

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Yep, I am a Columbusian as of last summer. :)

I fixed the link. I forgot to add on the /services.jar at the end. I have never tried using the new services.jar without supercharging first. I guess if the system doesn't know what to do with the changes that get made, it could cause problems.

If you would rather get the services.jar from the source, here is the website they made up that patches it: http://android.mimic.ca

Yeah, I get the trackball flashing other times too. Most recently, right after my phone booted this morning, the trackball was doing the flashing just like when you get a call.

Oh, I knew I should've just added that to the URL, but I figured it wouldn't be that simple. Hehe... Thanks for the other link, too.

I'll test it with already using the SuperCharger then.

Now that you mention it, I do remember, at least under Tests 1 and 2, that the phone would do that at least sometimes after a reboot. Are you using Test 3, and if you are with the .29 Kernel or .35 Kernel? I'm using Test 3 with the .35 Kernel.

---------- Post added at 08:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:05 PM ----------

First observation, lemonoid's services.jar file does match the MD5 he gave, but it's different (and slightly smaller) than jaebond's. I haven't really looked into specifically what needs doing to the services.jar file to make it work with SuperCharger, so I don't know if there's anything wrong with them being different from each other, but it's interesting.

Ah! Okay, lemonoid's services.jar is I think for the ROM link in the OP, I'm guessing anyway. I used the web service on my services.jar and it was identical to the one you provided, jaebond. Also, the mod website says "HTC Eris - Evervolv Beta 3 Test 3" and lemonoid's says "Droid Eris - AOSP 4.0.3 Evervolv".

Last edited:

MongooseHelix

Aug 29, 2010
Portland, OR, USA
I haven't had much time recently and heading out to meet some friends shortly but wanted to give people something to think about. I was considering how I could swing getting an Eris over to riemer in the Netherlands so he could work on the kernel with it in hand. Either finding someone here with an "extra" that they are willing to sell or from somewhere like eBay. I know it would help him a lot to actually have one if he does help us out and he's much more capable than I in terms of quick progress :)

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I haven't had much time recently and heading out to meet some friends shortly but wanted to give people something to think about. I was considering how I could swing getting an Eris over to riemer in the Netherlands so he could work on the kernel with it in hand. Either finding someone here with an "extra" that they are willing to sell or from somewhere like eBay. I know it would help him a lot to actually have one if he does help us out and he's much more capable than I in terms of quick progress :)

I'm going to repost this in General, I hope you don't mind; see if there's still anyone with a spare Eris visiting these forum sections.

Edit: Done, at http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1649157. If you want me to remove this for any reason, just let me know.

Last edited:
Reactions: MongooseHelix

jaebond

Dec 22, 2010
Now that you mention it, I do remember, at least under Tests 1 and 2, that the phone would do that at least sometimes after a reboot. Are you using Test 3, and if you are with the .29 Kernel or .35 Kernel? I'm using Test 3 with the .35 Kernel.

I'm on Test 3 with the .35 kernel. Now that I'm keeping an eye out for it more, I've only seen it happen after a reboot, so that might be the issue.

MongooseHelix

Aug 29, 2010
Portland, OR, USA
I'm going to repost this in General, I hope you don't mind; see if there's still anyone with a spare Eris visiting these forum sections.

Edit: Done, at http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1649157. If you want me to remove this for any reason, just let me know.
Works for me.

I have an extra Eros. The trackball doesn't work though. I have the trackball optional recovery on it.
I'll send you a PM. The trackball won't be an issue since it's not something that needs fixed in the .35 kernel.

jaebond

Dec 22, 2010
I have been paying more attention and I get the call flashing of the trackball sometimes when I get a text message, even if my phone hasn't just booted.

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I have been paying more attention and I get the call flashing of the trackball sometimes when I get a text message, even if my phone hasn't just booted.

I assumed that it should, and I personally want it to do that, as a notification (in case I'm away from my phone for a minute). Not too disimilar at least to some options available in the past. Not sure if that can be turned off somewhere if you don't want it to do that.

MongooseHelix

Aug 29, 2010
Portland, OR, USA

I assumed that it should, and I personally want it to do that, as a notification (in case I'm away from my phone for a minute). Not too disimilar at least to some options available in the past. Not sure if that can be turned off somewhere if you don't want it to do that.
I have seen the more flashtastic trackball notif and is my guess is that it has something to do with the led kernel driver. In the ROM, I have set the trackball light as default for notifications instead of the green charge led but that can be changed back depending on what people prefer. I haven't played around with Light Flow on the Eris but I do use it on my gnex and it might work well here too.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This ROM is built from source and is incorporated s custom Evervolv look and feel to the stock ICS experience. This started as a collaborative effort to port ICS to the eris, heroc, and hero. We will continue to work together to try and get the best functionality, speed, and enjoyment possible. I've had a lot of fun working on ICS since source was released back in November and it's been great to work with many other devs across a multitude of devices and backgrounds.

A ton of credit for how functional this ROM is must go to jaybob413 who always amazes me with both his ability to fix anything & everything, and also his willingness to share, teach, & work together. We all know workshed of course who has given me lots of help & advice, not to mention that GSB is what got me into messing around with ROMs. Then there's the master of all that is Evervolv, preludedrew. When not sabotaging my builds or giving me a hard time, he puts up with my questions and has taught me a lot along the way. Many thanks to those that open source their work and fixes like CyanogenMod and plenty of others. And now on to what you are here for...ICS on the Eris.

--------

* Downloads *

You flash this BETA build at your own risk! Be sure to make a nand backup and do a full wipe before flashing. The first boot takes awhile so give it some time.
    ROM - 2.2.0b1
    MD5sum: 3b2e097212eec7187f32109846c3fad8

Gapps are NOT included so be sure to flash this zip if you want them!
    GAPPS - 5.20
    MD5sum: fba8c84a2f370cd2c47743465c51731b

--------

WIP 2.6.35 kernel - Optional for those that want to try it out
    Flashable zip
    List of known Issues: here

--------
    Keep in mind that this is a WIP so not everything will be completely stable or working perfectly. Progress is being made though...

Working
    touchscreen
    physical & capacitive buttons
    data
    sms & mms
    camera - pictures
    built-in screenshot feature
    wifi
    gps
    calls
    audio
    microphone
    sdcard
    usb mass storage
    sensors
    vibration
    trackball navigation, selection, light
    notification / charging LED

Not Working
    camera - video & panorama modes
    bluetooth(still can't figure out why)
    wallpapers - offset from center
    wifi signal strength icon display
    gpu hw acceleration / opengl
    mic mute in call
    google music app
    voice search app
    Changelog
    2.2.0 Beta 1:
    * Coming Soon...

2.1.0 Beta 2:
    * ability to take pics with camera but no preview and loads slowly(rapmv78, zbwu86, CAF)
    * browser/gmail/etc fixed (arcee)
    * revamped notification toolbox - new layout, use EVToolbox app to select widgets/# per row/default on pulldown (settings icon switches views, long-press to enter settings app)
    * fixed bug where selecting silent in power popup menu(on long-press) first went to vibrate instead
    * fixed signal strength reporting in Settings->About phone->Status
    * other misc fixes/tweaks/options

2.1.0 Beta 1:
    * AOSP 4.0.3 source
    * full audio (jaybob413)
    * usb mass storage
    * trackball functionality
    * cache2cache updated and included
    * notification toolbox - cycle through notifs/widgets/media/batt by pressing settings icon(long-press for settings)
    * EVToolbox app - lockscreen(style, custom mapping), choose notif toolbox widgets, 6bar/stock signal strength icon toggle, vol btn lockscreen music control toggle, vol btn wake toggle
    * initial launcher settings(press menu while on home screen) - Homescreen->search bar toggle, other options are just placeholders for now
    * latest gapps, terminal emulator, file expert, quickpic, and opera mini included in ROM
    * misc fixes/improvements

Alpha 5 / Preview 2:
    * working gps
    * fixed some background crashes of libdvm (jaybob413)
    * bluetooth now turns on and "sees" devices but I was unable to pair successfully
    * hot reboot added to reboot options menu
    * now includes the optimized galaxy nexus boot animation (workshed & snowjumpstump)
    * added terminal emulator app to build
    * replaced stock gallery app with quickpic for the time being
    * updated maps to v6.0.1 in the tiny gapps zip

Alpha 4 / Preview 1:
    * fixed keyboard prediction - english only for now
    * fixed keyboard layout so bottom row is no longer cut off (jaybob413)
    * mic works after a delay of 2 - 10s
    * audio: speaker plays stereo sounds only, at times has a delay, and sometimes too quietly
    * reboot options added: recovery, bootloader, normal
    * File Expert app included
    * built with most apps/framework in ODEX format

Alpha 3.5:
    * fixed touchscreen for the older melfas type
    * fixed wifi
    * fixed sdcard mounting
    * fixed sensors

Alpha 3:
    * button mapping fixed (no more needing adb to reboot!)
    * added ICS gapps base & ICS gmail
    * added superuser app and su binary for root privileges
    * disabled flashing red border(visual StrictMode)
    * removed a few uneeded/incompatible apps along with foreign fonts & tts to save space on /system

Alpha 2:
    * touchscreen fixed(synaptics only)

--------

* Recommended Flashing Instructions *
    1 - full wipe: data + cache + dalvik cache
    2 - flash the ROM zip
    3 - flash Gapps
    4 - reboot: the first boot will take awhile
    5 - ensure everything is loaded and settled by letting the screen timeout and waiting a minute or so before waking it up and proceeding
    6 - skip or go through the google setup wizard and then wait another couple mintes to allow the rest of the ROM to load up and any google data to sync
    7 - reboot and allow things to load up again (optional)
    8 - everything should now be ready to go :)

--------

* Tips *
    * switching between the Evervolv notification toolbox and the stock notification view is achieved by swiping either left or right
    * can open a running apps list by long-pressing the home button & swipe(or long-press) to clear (useful if an app won't open or system slows down to clear out some memory)
    * disabling an app is very easy in ICS: either through the manage app screen or by dragging a particular app from the drawer to the "app info" section displayed at the top of the screen, you'll find a button to disable that app
    * the ICS launcher makes it simple to create & use folders: just drag one icon on top of another, let go, and they will now be in a folder together which you can name whatever you like

--------

* Sources *
    Evervolv: GitHub & Gerrit
    Conap's Kernel: GitHub
    WIP 2.6.35 Kernel: GitHub
    Beta 1

Ok, so it took some extra time to get it ready so I'm only going to post the link here for now until I have time to update the OP and all that.

No need to flash Gapps, they are included in this build!

Beta 1: download

Quick Changelog:
    * usb mass storage
    * notification toolbox - cycle through notifs/widgets/media/batt by pressing settings icon(long-press for settings)
    * EVToolbox app - lockscreen(style, custom mapping), choose notif toolbox widgets, 6bar/stock signal strength icon toggle, vol btn lockscreen music control toggle, vol btn wake toggle
    * initial launcher settings(press menu while on home screen) - can remove google search bar
    * hot reboot option available in power menu
    * cache2cache included
    * auto mounting of ext partition on sdcard
    * full audio
    * trackball functionality
    * updated gapps included
    * includes latest terminal emulator, file expert, quickpic, and opera mini(browser replacement)
    * misc fixes/improvements
    * ICS 4.0.3

There will be little issues here and there so please be aware of that and report them so we can continue making it better.
    Some exciting news, at least to me...
    I finally got a .35 kernel build that compiles, boots, and seems to be mostly functioning :D

Some things I know are not working yet:
    * proximity sensor
    * physical keys - pwr, send, vol up/down (screen buttons work fine - home, menu, back, search)
    * bluetooth (at least seeing errors about it though which helps)
    * audio jack
    * usb mass storage
    35 kernel status update:

It's now getting to the bootani so that's helpful progress. Currently debugging the cause of the kernel panic that forces a reboot. There is also breber's version from a while back that build and boots to the lockscreen but does not have a functioning touchscreen/physical keys. Additionally, it doesn't include all of the updates/features that are in jaybob's heroc kernel so I'm trying, slowly, to get things merged together and functioning properly.

I am no experienced kernel dev/tinkerer but I keep learning as I go and may even be lucky enough to receive some pointers and help from people like jaybob, preludedrew, gnarlyc, breber, conap, workshed, etc.
    FYI,

The beta2 of this ROM uses the HTC /system/lib/libhtc_ril.so which exhibits the undead call bug.

If you are going to use this ROM on an activated phone, you can patch that bug thusly:

Code:
    [color=green][b]mkdir /data/data/com.android.dmportread
    chown 1001.1001 /data/data/com.android.dmportread
    touch /data/data/com.android.dmportread/history
    chown 1001.1001 /data/data/com.android.dmportread/history[/b][/color]

note there are portability issues with "chown uid.gid target" vs. "chown uid:gid target" and also using symbolic names for uid and guid. I checked with a running version of the ROM, and the uid/gid pair for the "rild" process were 1001/1001.

cheers

bftb0