Orange Network Bars! HELP

Search This thread

jaimeletelierhay

Jun 15, 2012
Belfast
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I decided to root my handset yesterday, all went well and that handset has been rooted successfully. I've kept it entirely stock, no ROM or kernels. I am experiencing what seems to be a connectivity issue. If I connect to WiFi my signal bars turn white, indicating a connection to the Google servers however, when I disconnect my signal bars turn orange.....full HSDPA signal but are orange.....stranger still that I am actually able to connect to the internet with no issues. I've searched and people are saying that the orange signal bars indicate no connection to Google servers and in turn this means no internet connection? Does anybody know of a fix or have an explanation? All was well before I rooted and unlocked the boot loader.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

jaimeletelierhay

Jun 15, 2012
Belfast
Google Pixel 6 Pro
That's exactly what I thought! I've rooted handsets before and never had an issue connecting to Google servers etc. Yeah I can receive gmail, but I need to do it manually, it doesn't seem to be pushed through like before. I thought at first it was an issue with the APN but I've checked and reset it to default, still getting these damn orange bars. The arrows at the side suggest I am sending/receiving data though......I've attached a PIC.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1396863988654.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1396863988654.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 288

gamepois0n

Mar 1, 2013
Orange means you are not connected to the internet.

Try reset your wireless router/setting.

Paddington

Dec 19, 2011
go to accounts
remove your google account
once u do it may ask to enter a backup account

re enter your google credentials
reboot

If Chaco81's solution works, please let me know.

As several others have mentioned to you, it means you are not connected to Google services. This happens to me randomly, and I have yet to find a solution. Sometimes I just wait it out, and it magically starts working again after a few minutes. Sometimes I reboot, and that seems to work 75% of the time, but because it isn't 100%, it makes me think it's no different than waiting it out, it just makes me feel like I'm doing something. This has happened to me on various ROMs (including stock) on my Nexus 4, Moto X, and Nexus 5. It is very frustrating, and I can't seem to locate a cause or a fool-proof solution other than waiting.

EDIT
Orange bars means that you are not connected to Google servers and cant receive notifications, it does not necessarily mean that you are not connected to the internet.
Try doing a factory reset.

I highly discourage doing a factory reset for this problem, especially if you have no backup program like Helium or Titanium. I have never had to do a factory reset for this problem to correct itself, and seeing as it happens to me randomly no matter the device or ROM (and I always do a full wipe moving between ROMS), I do not think this is actually a solution. I think this is just like what I consider rebooting, it doesn't fix the problem, it just adds time in between the problem starting and the problem stopping naturally. Even if it is a 100% sure-fire fix, it will take much longer to reset and fix everything back to how you want it than to just wait it out.

Last edited:

craigbailey1986

Apr 13, 2010
Conley
Orange bars means that its not connected to Google servers.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Easiest way to fix it is to get on a WiFi connection. Once it connects to WiFi Google will sync and then turn off WiFi and you will have white bars. This tends to happen to me when my data coverage is low and speeds are down. I don't think the slow speed is able to reach Google servers thru the downlink. Just my thought but I have no clue.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

_jordan_

Oct 2, 2013
That's exactly what I thought! I've rooted handsets before and never had an issue connecting to Google servers etc. Yeah I can receive gmail, but I need to do it manually, it doesn't seem to be pushed through like before. I thought at first it was an issue with the APN but I've checked and reset it to default, still getting these damn orange bars. The arrows at the side suggest I am sending/receiving data though......I've attached a PIC.

From the look of your notification shade, you are obviously not using the stock ROM. What else has been done to your device?

Without more info on your phone, its tough to give solutions.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Reactions: jaimeletelierhay

jaimeletelierhay

Jun 15, 2012
Belfast
Google Pixel 6 Pro
It is completely stock ROM with xposed and gravitybox installed. Apart from that, its pure stock. Even at that the only things I have activated with gravitybox is the notification shade and circle battery mod. Nothing has been touched in way of kernels, radios, WiFi, telephony tweaks etc. Really don't fancy having to reset my device entirely, thanks for the suggestion but I'm not planning on restoring it back and setting it up all over again. As for the WiFi suggestion, it worked for 3min 27sec (yes I timed it) but then, low and behold, the orange bars were back. I've been reading on some Google forums that its an issue in 4.4.2 but it was working fine prior to me rooting. I even put it in to safe mode to see if it was an installed app that was affecting it but that turned up nothing.

_jordan_

Oct 2, 2013
^ OK thanks for clarifying. There are many potential reasons for this issue, so it is hard to track down.

Do you have other android devices? Do those work without issue, in your area, over your cellular connection?

If so, the problem isnt related to your Google account, or your cellular carrier, and must be device related.

If its device related, don't do a factory reset. Instead back up everything you care about and flash a factory image.

jaimeletelierhay

Jun 15, 2012
Belfast
Google Pixel 6 Pro
The signal actually came back and turned white for the rest of the day. Then it dropped out to orange again. Think I'll hang on to things the way they are right now and persevere with it and hope that 4.4.3 comes with a fix. Thanks.

jaimeletelierhay

Jun 15, 2012
Belfast
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I'm getting the same thing on Sprint too. I wonder if it is a DNS thing?

I'm on T-Mobile UK, well EE, as it's now known. The issue doesn't SEEM to be affecting things but I honestly can't be sure. In saying that I'm having to manually refresh my gmail and Google now notifications aren't displayed as often as before. There seems to be a few posts online about people with similar issues so there's every chance it is a DNS issue.

boxcar8028

Mar 15, 2011
Seattle, WA
not sure if this is a cell phone thing because I also get this on my 2013 nexus 7 wifi only and my N5 on T-Mobile. But I still have internet and notifications. I'm starting to think its just google running some kind of maintenance...

Reactions: jaimeletelierhay

jaimeletelierhay

Jun 15, 2012
Belfast
Google Pixel 6 Pro
not sure if this is a cell phone thing because I also get this on my 2013 nexus 7 wifi only and my N5 on T-Mobile. But I still have internet and notifications. I'm starting to think its just google running some kind of maintenance...

That's interesting......its only been over the past few days. Maybe prepping for the 4.4.3 release, but then again, that's more than likely wishful thinking. Odd how you get it on ur nexus 7 as well as ur nexus 5 on t-mobile

boxcar8028

Mar 15, 2011
Seattle, WA
That's interesting......its only been over the past few days. Maybe prepping for the 4.4.3 release, but then again, that's more than likely wishful thinking. Odd how you get it on ur nexus 7 as well as ur nexus 5 on t-mobile

yeah, Im running CM11 and stock 4.4.2 rooted, unlocked and with run time ART on N7 and N5. I see this on both ROMs. On stock the icons turns orange for cell and wifi. But on CM11 the wifi icon would change to have a line running through it. I think its the same but with different icons. Both would act the same but both seems to have no advert effect for me tho.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Rooting can't cause this. Can you receive gmail?

From the look of your notification shade, you are obviously not using the stock ROM. What else has been done to your device?

Without more info on your phone, its tough to give solutions.

I'm getting the same thing on Sprint too. I wonder if it is a DNS thing?