Other device and upgrading phone discussion

Search This thread

ed270

Oct 1, 2011
Not very happy with Best buy right now. I went to add a line and get my daughter an S3 as Amazon had them for .01 they refused to price match seems they will no longer price match on mobile phones or plans unless you are buying unsubsidized. I guess I will go back to " Show-rooming" at Best buy

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

ed270

Oct 1, 2011
To bad as back in March Best Buy matched Sam's Club for $99 2 weeks after I bought it for the Amazon match of $199.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Apparently after talking with BB mgmt they will not price match on contract phones period. I also stopped by Radio Shack as their website had the S3 for $29 but they refused to match their own website

JeramyEggs

Jan 4, 2011
Charleston Il
Depends on the best buy. It all depends on who you get. May try another.

"One small step for man, One giant leap for mankind" said anyone who has tried Moon Rom

ed270

Oct 1, 2011
Well I pulled this from their website
The Guarantee is limited to one price match per identical item, per guest and does not apply to: Contract mobile phone devices and plans, the online prices of retailers not listed, the online prices of third party vendors (Marketplace vendors) on designated major online retailers websites, post purchase price match requests to competitor's prices, Best Buy for Business™, offers that include financing, gift card offers, bundling of items, free items, pricing errors, mail-in offers, coupon offers, competitors' service prices, items that are advertised as limited-quantity, out of stock, open-box, clearance, refurbished/used items, our and our competitor's Deal of the Day, daily deals, special hour sale event items and credit card offers, BestBuy.com Clearance & More and Marketplace items, and items for sale Thanksgiving Day through the Monday after Thanksgiving.

I ended up getting her phone from Amazon. Looks like this new policy started the end of June :thumbdown:

Last edited:

dkendrick

Jul 8, 2011
Nexus phone on VZW

Do we ever think we will see a Nexus phone that gets updates directly from Google on VZW? They gave control on iPhones to Apple, why not Google?

Aug 7, 2013
Do we ever think we will see a Nexus phone that gets updates directly from Google on VZW? They gave control on iPhones to Apple, why not Google?

I don't think VzW will ever give anyone control over the updates, sadly. It would be great if they did, especially obviously to Google. I just don't see it happening. The beauty is we have XDA to be able run custome ROMS and defeat Big Red.

Along the lines of a new Nexus, did you guys see the rumor? I'm sure you all have but http://www.droid-life.com/2013/08/08/rumor-motorola-nexus-coming-in-q4/

MunkinDrunky

Feb 25, 2012
Glad this is off topic thread cause I clicked the link for the moto x and it sent me on a journey. Not the link itself but some how I ended up doing a lot of android phone googleing. In all I really would like to see newer devices with a main beast cpu with some complimentary low power cpu to handle the lower level tasks that always might be running. I like the camera always ready to go or maybe cool stuff I hadn't thought of to do with Tasker. But then I worry about how sleep is handled, if the phone would ever really go into deep sleep...hmm I need some sleep

nrfitchett4

Oct 12, 2009
San Antonio
Glad this is off topic thread cause I clicked the link for the moto x and it sent me on a journey. Not the link itself but some how I ended up doing a lot of android phone googleing. In all I really would like to see newer devices with a main beast cpu with some complimentary low power cpu to handle the lower level tasks that always might be running. I like the camera always ready to go or maybe cool stuff I hadn't thought of to do with Tasker. But then I worry about how sleep is handled, if the phone would ever really go into deep sleep...hmm I need some sleep

but, does having the phone go into deep sleep actually save battery in the long run, esp with power users?
I always use mikey's no wake lag mod (which causes phone not to deep sleep) and I never noticed and decreased battery life from not using it.

MunkinDrunky

Feb 25, 2012
but, does having the phone go into deep sleep actually save battery in the long run, esp with power users?
I always use mikey's no wake lag mod (which causes phone not to deep sleep) and I never noticed and decreased battery life from not using it.

Absolutely haveing or not having a deep sleep will depend on the user, because of apps installed and incoming signals data, & searching, from the outside world that would keep a phone in an awake state more frequently.

Also thought it would be really great to have a less powerful cpu handle having an nfc wallet app always running. You know im sure different users will have different groups of app they pretty much have running all the time anyway as part of their daily routine.

joshm.1219

May 7, 2013
Philadelphia
It's been largely evidenced by the "smart-guy" tech sites such as anandtech that usage and location have so much effect and are so varied user-to-user that software and processor tweaks to save battery life are going to be minimal when you look it at across the board. Even this new processor system just released by Motorola may or may not make a difference, we will find out as more research can be done. Basically if the "contextual" and "natural-language" processors are just being used to turn on the main application processors when they are needed or if their actually processing and communicating with the software completely separate from the application processors is a big difference as to how much battery specialized core-task setups actually save. Little things like these simply make efficiency something very varying when you look at it big picture.

Basically, there's only two surefire things you can do with these devices to dramatically extend battery life. Run a really light OS like iOS or throw as much battery cells in the thing as you can. The LG G2's 3000 mah battery uses the advantages of Lithium Polymer to create a stepped battery (seen in the HTC 8X and Moto X in the way they set the board behind the battery) that has a small rectangular shaped set of battery cells over a larger one. It fits nicer in the hand and adds precious cells.

What I want to see in a new phone? Screen-wise I could give a crap about 1080p personally, I'm making a screen sacrifice already looking at something that's 5~ inches, if I want super-quality I'll use my retinaMBP. So for the small battery difference 720p makes, I'll take it. I like the idea of active notifications in the new Moto X, something I can see getting added to AOSP in the future, but it only works with OLED (LCD has to turn on all of it's pixels at once, OLED doesn't) and up until now I haven't seen OLED in the sunlight. Literally. I don't want have to cover my phone with one hand to be able to see it outside, I'd rather just have a high-nit LCD.
Processor-wise, Qualcomm is pretty much it. The only other two companies with full architecture licenses from ARM are Apple and Samsung (recently upgraded). Obviously I don't want iOS and while I like Samsung, Exynos has proven a lesser competitor to Snapdragon. Classic example of a focused company doing one thing great vs. a thousand things pretty good. So with that, I want a 400. I don't need quad-cores because I don't really play phone games. There's no other reason to have it. 800 vs 600 is just that 800 is more power you're not using compared to the amount of power you're not using in a 600, they both just unnecessarily eat more and more battery. There's lots of advantages of going from A9 to A15 (and I'm so excited for A57!) so that's why I'd be really happy with the 400.
Software-wise I'm going to root whatever I get (like any of us of course) because I need as much customizability as possible.
The only new camera tech that really excites me is the Lumia 1020's (from the 808 PureView). I'd love to be able to take a 41-megapixel picture for the lossless post-photo digital zoom. Insane possibilities with that.
Also IR should've stayed in phones, don't know why it didn't.

mxdx

Feb 16, 2012
Orem
For me personally, the Note 3 is going to have to offer some pretty big improvements over the Note 2 for me to justify extending the contract or paying full price. The jump from the Galaxy Nexus to the Note 2 was a no brainer for me with the quad core processor and amazing battery life and still having the ability to root and unlock. I do miss the google wallet feature though as I have yet to find a method that works for me to get it up and running on the Note 2. So far I haven't seen the WOW factor from the Note 3 though so I may be waiting for the next "next big thing"

Last edited:

RaptorMD

May 2, 2010
For me the GN3 offers a big improvement over the GN2, 32GB storage (25GB of usable space) as the base minimum. I could never live with 16GB (9GB usable) and that is why I sold mine off. Tried hard to live with it, just couldn't make it happen. Plus 3GB RAM, 4.3, 1080p and bigger battery to compensate for 1080p drain. Still a solid device and a great upgrade for those who either had the GN(1) or skipped the GN2 or got rid of it due to space issues. By killing off the 16GB version Samsung is removing that choice from the US carriers and saving them from a lot of irritated users like they had with the 16GB GS4. I suspect the GS5 will also have 32GB out of the box.

joshm.1219

May 7, 2013
Philadelphia
For me the GN3 offers a big improvement over the GN2, 32GB storage (25GB of usable space) as the base minimum. I could never live with 16GB (9GB usable) and that is why I sold mine off. Tried hard to live with it, just couldn't make it happen. Plus 3GB RAM, 4.3, 1080p and bigger battery to compensate for 1080p drain. Still a solid device and a great upgrade for those who either had the GN(1) or skipped the GN2 or got rid of it due to space issues. By killing off the 16GB version Samsung is removing that choice from the US carriers and saving them from a lot of irritated users like they had with the 16GB GS4. I suspect the GS5 will also have 32GB out of the box.

Storage isn't a concern to me since we have sd card slots and the next Samsung update includes apps2sd. Same thing with battery since I just keep an extra one on me. The battery won't be much bigger in the GN3, although I'm hoping zerolemon will be able to figure out how to get more capacity in there like they did with the s4 (2600mah stock vs 300mah zl).

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

miketoasty

Sep 13, 2010

16 GB isn't a problem with a SD card which Samsung should have included with the phone (At least a 16GB card). No issues what so ever for me with multiple high end games and a ton of songs because of the SD card.

3GB of RAM would be useless. I seriously doubt phones come close to 2GB and can confirm that since Samsung includes a task monitor with their skin. I at most with a ton of programs open use 1.5 GB. Just added cost for nothing.

1080P is for the most part useless as well. You need to be starting hard at your screen on a 720P device to notice any pixels and I don't like the thought of added cost and stress on the CPU/GPU for again, an unnecessary component.

For me, I am done with the spec war. The Note 2 is as fast as any phone out there when it comes to every day tasks and the screen looks just as good, I would much rather see more innovation now than just lets see how close to a laptop we can get this thing!

All of this is just my opinion and I'm sure you disagree with most if not all of it and I'm okay with that. Just throwing my ideas out there.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4

nrfitchett4

Oct 12, 2009
San Antonio
16 GB isn't a problem with a SD card which Samsung should have included with the phone (At least a 16GB card). No issues what so ever for me with multiple high end games and a ton of songs because of the SD card.

3GB of RAM would be useless. I seriously doubt phones come close to 2GB and can confirm that since Samsung includes a task monitor with their skin. I at most with a ton of programs open use 1.5 GB. Just added cost for nothing.

1080P is for the most part useless as well. You need to be starting hard at your screen on a 720P device to notice any pixels and I don't like the thought of added cost and stress on the CPU/GPU for again, an unnecessary component.

For me, I am done with the spec war. The Note 2 is as fast as any phone out there when it comes to every day tasks and the screen looks just as good, I would much rather see more innovation now than just lets see how close to a laptop we can get this thing!

All of this is just my opinion and I'm sure you disagree with most if not all of it and I'm okay with that. Just throwing my ideas out there.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4

completely disagree with storage. All phones should have minimum of 32gb of onboard storage. I am constantly running up against my storage limit on my note 2 with just a few large games and usual apps on it. I would much prefer 32gb of storage and no sd slot at this point.

joshm.1219

May 7, 2013
Philadelphia
completely disagree with storage. All phones should have minimum of 32gb of onboard storage. I am constantly running up against my storage limit on my note 2 with just a few large games and usual apps on it. I would much prefer 32gb of storage and no sd slot at this point.

You could do an sd swap to offload the game data. Also like I said, for samsung phones storage being onboard or external wont matter soon. The s4 update includes apps2sd.

Sent from Kendrick Lamar, King of New York

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    With Samsung out, what device maker are you going to continue to work on? Do you have a favorite?
    Thanks
    Newkia? Oppo? Omate? Sony? There are a ton of awesome manufacturers out there. I admire Samsung's build quality but that's all. They've always been a crappy manufacturer.
    Sorry to tell you but AdamOutler does exynos processors not Qualcomm. The Note 3 bootloader will not be unlocked. Expect Hashcode to eventually implement a safestrap/kexec method that will allow custom ROM's and kernels. Although, it's taken 4 months for the S4 for safestrap to start to get underway and kexec hasn't even been started. I'd say by the same time table it'll be February when you'll be able to load a custom ROM. Who knows for kernels.

Yeah, I heard that Adam guy talking mad trash about Samsung as well. It seems that he really doesn't like them much.
    iphone 5s event going on right now! who's switching???

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2
    I would like to state that I disagree entirely with moderators directing T-Mobile related questions on a Verizon Note 2 to this thread.

I think that's entirely inefficient, discouraging, poorly planned and misguided. A good moderator doesn't make decisions like that.

I don't understand why a user's thread was closed and his concerns sent to this thread when he is still using a Verizon Note 2, he is just using it with T-Mobile.

Single threads for discussion of various topics defeats the ENTIRE purpose of having a message forum to begin with.
    Re: Off-topic other device and upgrading phone discussion

The point of this thread is any non note discussion. How many iphone threads do we have. For that matterhow many s4 threads are starting already. We had this in the s3 firm and it worked really nicely to cut down the iphone5 threads.

By the way I agree with everything you said about the s4. I'm good right here with my note

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2