Which Mod Version

Search This thread
May 2, 2012
Dear People,

I am a noob. A really big noob but I really want to have all the cool things that you guys have on the HTC Legend with 16GB SD. In my opinion is the HTC Legend sometimes a bit slow.

I am running: Android 2.2 and everything is stock, I never changed a thing. I saw some cool stuff on Youtube and I read a lot of interesting information about 'Custom Roms'.

My question / problem:
I want a fast cool Legend Rom which one the GPS, WIFI and Camera all the otherthings are working with no problems. Which Custom Rom is the best ROM for me?

I hope to read answers. I am very sorry for my dumb question and my bad English.

Regards,
Eer

bibzor

Apr 14, 2012
Dear Noobfromthelegends,

first of all, if you want to try out custom roms, you need to root your Legend.
The easiest and safest way to do so is to follow the HTC guide [1] (please note that your warranty will be affected even if it is an "official" process).

Steps to follow had been explained in many threads, please take time to read a couple of solved similar threads; it'll spare you some time.

As you must have seen, there are a lot of ROMs out there, though a lot of them shared common basis. I'm afraid I can't help you on the best and faster one, I have only tested stock ROM and CyanogenMod (CM) ones. CM 7.1 (the latest stable release AFAIK, based on Android 2.3.7) is great but my Legend is sometimes laggy (actually a bit too often compared to newer phones).

Some people are trying hard to port Android 4 (Ice Cream Sandwich, ICS) on our beloved Legend. One major feature of ICS is the hardware-acceleration, which means that not only the CPU is used to compute (effects and some stuff) but available DSPs too. These ROMs are currently in beta stages, but users seems to be really happy with them (major drawback is not fully working camera ATM and some minor bugs, but like I said it is beta software).
(I am of course thinking of zeubea and its CM9 adaptation [2])

PS: remember to make nandroid backups (that is, make a backup of the whole system in case you did something wrong) and keep them safe, at least one which is okay (ie. a working copy on your computer). You can go back in time with complete backups, quiet useful if you want to try some MODs.

1: http://www.htcdev.com/bootloader/
2: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1562595

edit: it seems that updating your hboot version (ie. following the HTC guide to root your phone by updating your hboot) may be problematic if you want S-OFF. Please look for it on the forum if you care about it.

Last edited:
May 2, 2012
Thank you very much for your reply.

If I want S-Off has that something to do with: 'Root your Legend'?

Thank you for your back-up tip. But how do I back up my Legend? Because I am afraid that I don't back-up correct.

Hope to hear from you or the other forum members soon.

PS: Tomorrow I am going to 'Root' my Legend and I let it you hear.

bibzor

Apr 14, 2012

Thank you for your back-up tip. But how do I back up my Legend? Because I am afraid that I don't back-up correct.

- You're welcome, that's the purpose of this forum ;)

- it seems that S-Off give you full access to your NAND flash.
I don't know a lot of things about it, only read some posts. So far, I didn't feel the need to do it, I can use custom ROMs, custom splash screens, etc.
I repeat, I don't know **** about this. Just that I didn't need it for the past two years with my Legend (rooted for more than 18 months).
I read that it has something to do with your hboot, and as I told you to follow the HTC guide to root your legend, yes it has something to do with it because it seems that you can't S-Off easily with a hboot version > 1.00.

- you can backup your device when you are in recovery

Please read guides about rooting your Legend, you will learn about the ClockWorkMod, the recovery, fastboot and last but not least ROM Manager.
If you are not comfortable with all these terms, you may end up not understanding at all what you are doing or done and being stuck with a (semi-)bricked phone is probably not what you want. Just don't rush for it.

If you want to update your hboot to root your Legend, have a look at BlaY0's post [1] too.

Feel free to read other member's questions and problems, they certainly have been solved. Reading others' mistakes could make you avoid them.

PS: if you want to thank me, press the "Thanks" button below my post ;)

1: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=22613990&postcount=62

edit: didn't see that you used the button already :rolleyes:

Last edited:

ranger4740

Jan 17, 2011
Melbourne
@bibzor great stuff!

My 2c, Rom to try? OK just thinking here, maybe as a beginner to custom roms start with blay0s froyo, it will be more familiar to you coming from stock froyo, but its also got all the bells n whistles that make rooting worth it ie. ext partition support for more app space, over/under clock and more I've forgotten about just now.
Go here.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=866849

Or if that's too boring for you and want excitement just start with zeubeas ics :D, that'll get your juices flowing, just remember its still a w.i.p. so theres still a few bugs and not everything is working 100% yet, but is still good enough for me to use as a "daily".

The other option I like personally is ogo2's gingerbread

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=987251

Then there's the cyanogenmod & its variants like legendary legends fuse.

Their all good! :thumbup:
Its a good idea to try and read the whole thread of the custom rom you want to flash for hints tips and other stuff before flashing too.

Welcome to a new world of flashing :D

sent from my legend, currently using zeubea ics beta0

Last edited:
Reactions: NoobfromtheLegends
May 2, 2012
Thank you both very much for your reactions.

I Googled a lot of Nanobackup but I first want to root my systeem. I saw on the HTC DEV site the Unlock Bootloader but first I have to update the Rom / Ruu but there isnt a Dutch Carrier. I come from the Netherlands.

What do I have to do?

bibzor

Apr 14, 2012

I Googled a lot of Nanobackup but I first want to root my systeem. I saw on the HTC DEV site the Unlock Bootloader but first I have to update the Rom / Ruu but there isnt a Dutch Carrier. I come from the Netherlands.

What do I have to do?

Read BlaY0's post about rooting, I posted the link earlier. You don't need to update your ROM to follow the HTC dev guide.

Apr 29, 2012
Dear People,

My question / problem:
I want a fast cool Legend Rom which one the GPS, WIFI and Camera all the otherthings are working with no problems. Which Custom Rom is the best ROM for me?

Regards,
Eer
For couple of days i tryed some ROMs :
Cyanogenmod 7.1 -faster and stable, the phone was running perfectly, except the weak WIFI connection (maybe the problem was in my router) .
ExtremeLegendFuse 2 (best choice for me)- the phone just was flying - much more faster than the Stock ROM , GPS and WIFI worked perfect.
Now i use Cuanogenmod 7.2 - and will stay with it for future, Like advantages I can notice - lower baterry consumation and a little bit more free available RAM, in comparison with, CM7.1 / ExtremeLegendFuse 2 , on CM7.2 i neved used GPS and have not impression about the GPS ( befor i tryed to drive with GPS and after that i hate it ), everything else works perfct, the ROM is much more faster than the stock 2.2 Froyo ,but this ROM feels a little bit slower in comparison with ExtremeLegendFuse 2 ;

If you want a "fast and cool ROM " I recommend ExtremeLegendFuse 2;
If you use your phone for work and your phone is always in your hands - use Cuanogenmod 7.2

May 2, 2012
Read BlaY0's post about rooting, I posted the link earlier. You don't need to update your ROM to follow the HTC dev guide.

Thank you Bibzor but ....sorry for so much questions.
Today I wipeout everything on my phone due:
- Turn phone off, volume down 1 x On / Off Button and then Clear Storage.
- Then I did a format of my 16GB Micro SD.

So everything is clean now and I really want to do a full back up of my original Dutch ROM. If I understand it right I have to do a NANDROID for a complete back up of my orignal Dutch ROM so I can always go back to the orignal software?

BlaYo post about rooting starts with:
'' 1. Do a nandroid (at least data partition). ''

But how do I do a NANDROID with a Legend that isn't rooted? Can I start with point 2 from BlaYo post about rooting?

Stevemotto

Dec 21, 2011
Sydney
Thank you Bibzor but ....sorry for so much questions.
Today I wipeout everything on my phone due:
- Turn phone off, volume down 1 x On / Off Button and then Clear Storage.
- Then I did a format of my 16GB Micro SD.

So everything is clean now and I really want to do a full back up of my original Dutch ROM. If I understand it right I have to do a NANDROID for a complete back up of my orignal Dutch ROM so I can always go back to the orignal software?

BlaYo post about rooting starts with:
'' 1. Do a nandroid (at least data partition). ''

But how do I do a NANDROID with a Legend that isn't rooted? Can I start with point 2 from BlaYo post about rooting?

Use titanium backup from Google play.

Sent from my Legend using xda premium

May 2, 2012
Here Am I again. Sorry for my questions I hope that I get one more reaction.

I have have successfully unlocked my bootloader with the HTC DEV method.
But I still don't have ROOT acces. I have installed ROM Manager to do a full back-up of my ROM but it says: 'You don't have ROOT acces'.

I tought that when I unlock the bootloader with the HTC DEV method that I have ROOT acces on my HTC Legend.

What am I doing wrong?

Please help!

Stevemotto

Dec 21, 2011
Sydney
Here Am I again. Sorry for my questions I hope that I get one more reaction.

I have have successfully unlocked my bootloader with the HTC DEV method.
But I still don't have ROOT acces. I have installed ROM Manager to do a full back-up of my ROM but it says: 'You don't have ROOT acces'.

I tought that when I unlock the bootloader with the HTC DEV method that I have ROOT acces on my HTC Legend.

What am I doing wrong?

Please help!

After unlocking boot loader, use HTC supertools (which can be downloaded in this forum or just Google it) and it should be rooted.

May 2, 2012
YEAH BIG THANKS! YEEEEAAAAAH! HTCSupertools were very easy! Thank you soooooooooooo much! Really, really, really thanks!

But..I want to back up my original Dutch 2.2 ROM. When I touch in Rom Manager:
Back up ROM, my Legend restarts and I get a phone with a red triangle.
When I push: Volume UP and then the On/Off button I get:
E: Can't open /cache/recovery/command.

I tried everything: Formatting SD card and much more.
Why is a backing up of my original ROM so difficult?

P.s. I also installed: Clockwork Recovery.

Last edited:

rexjarvis

Apr 25, 2012
Friesenheim
Similar Problem.

Hi Folks,

The above is similar to my problem.... I am an absolute total NOOB!! Rooted my legend thanks to these forums just yesterday and have SuperUser, ROM Manager & ROM Toolbox installed and can see the root and access files so most things seem to work..... BUT.....

Every time I try to update the ROM or partition the SD card I get the dreaded red triangle/exclamation mark and have to remove the battery to allow the phone to reboot into the dreaded Vodafone ROM.

My startup shows "UNLOCKED" S-on but according to other threads here that is not a problem as unlocked automatically means S-off.

Any ideas or threads to read would be much appreciated thank you as I want to try Gingerbread before I risk ICS :)

Thank you :)

bibzor

Apr 14, 2012
Hi guys,

if you're experiencing the red triangle horror, don't be afraid it's quite common.
This triangle shows up when you try to reboot in recovery mod but the recovery image couldn't be loaded.

The easiest way is to use ROM Manager to update your recovery to the latest available and then press "reboot in recovery".

Otherwise, you can try to flash recovery image by hand.
Download the latest recovery image [1] and follow the method listed there which is :
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.0-legend.img

EDIT: of course these two commands are to be executed in a shell command when your Legend is connected to your computer and the image file is in the current directory, otherwise put its path.

1: from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1290841

May 2, 2012
Hi guys,

if you're experiencing the red triangle horror, don't be afraid it's quite common.
This triangle shows up when you try to reboot in recovery mod but the recovery image couldn't be loaded.

The easiest way is to use ROM Manager to update your recovery to the latest available and then press "reboot in recovery".

Otherwise, you can try to flash recovery image by hand.
Download the latest recovery image [1] and follow the method listed there which is :
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.0-legend.img

EDIT: of course these two commands are to be executed in a shell command when your Legend is connected to your computer and the image file is in the current directory, otherwise put its path.

1: from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1290841

I LOVE YOU! I did it and I did a flash image recovery by hand. Now I am going to back up my ROM! :)

Rexjarvis, if you don't know what to do with the command you have to do:

when the device is switched off, hold the volume down & power button in order for the phone to boot into the bootloader & connect the phone to the pc. You see now: ''Fastboot usb''.

Download the recovery_legend_5.0.2.8.img file and put it in the same folder on your pc as fastboot.exe & adb. then open the commandline on the pc, navigate to the folder that contains the fastboot.exe. You know: CMD and then C:\Android for example. Then you have to do the two commands from Bibzor:

Code:
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot flash recovery recovery_legend_5.0.2.8.img

Stevemotto

Dec 21, 2011
Sydney
YEAH BIG THANKS! YEEEEAAAAAH! HTCSupertools were very easy! Thank you soooooooooooo much! Really, really, really thanks!

But..I want to back up my original Dutch 2.2 ROM. When I touch in Rom Manager:
Back up ROM, my Legend restarts and I get a phone with a red triangle.
When I push: Volume UP and then the On/Off button I get:
E: Can't open /cache/recovery/command.

I tried everything: Formatting SD card and much more.
Why is a backing up of my original ROM so difficult?

P.s. I also installed: Clockwork Recovery.

No problems mate, glad to help :)

rexjarvis

Apr 25, 2012
Friesenheim
I have been trying to flash with ROM Manager but have permanent verification errors. Now I will try via adb as above. THANK YOU - Wish me luck :)

No joy... All I get is the same error E:Can't open.......... etc followed by E:Singanture verification error....

Can I not force an S-Off?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Dear Noobfromthelegends,

first of all, if you want to try out custom roms, you need to root your Legend.
    The easiest and safest way to do so is to follow the HTC guide [1] (please note that your warranty will be affected even if it is an "official" process).

Steps to follow had been explained in many threads, please take time to read a couple of solved similar threads; it'll spare you some time.

As you must have seen, there are a lot of ROMs out there, though a lot of them shared common basis. I'm afraid I can't help you on the best and faster one, I have only tested stock ROM and CyanogenMod (CM) ones. CM 7.1 (the latest stable release AFAIK, based on Android 2.3.7) is great but my Legend is sometimes laggy (actually a bit too often compared to newer phones).

Some people are trying hard to port Android 4 (Ice Cream Sandwich, ICS) on our beloved Legend. One major feature of ICS is the hardware-acceleration, which means that not only the CPU is used to compute (effects and some stuff) but available DSPs too. These ROMs are currently in beta stages, but users seems to be really happy with them (major drawback is not fully working camera ATM and some minor bugs, but like I said it is beta software).
    (I am of course thinking of zeubea and its CM9 adaptation [2])

PS: remember to make nandroid backups (that is, make a backup of the whole system in case you did something wrong) and keep them safe, at least one which is okay (ie. a working copy on your computer). You can go back in time with complete backups, quiet useful if you want to try some MODs.

1: http://www.htcdev.com/bootloader/
    2: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1562595

edit: it seems that updating your hboot version (ie. following the HTC guide to root your phone by updating your hboot) may be problematic if you want S-OFF. Please look for it on the forum if you care about it.

- You're welcome, that's the purpose of this forum ;)

- it seems that S-Off give you full access to your NAND flash.
    I don't know a lot of things about it, only read some posts. So far, I didn't feel the need to do it, I can use custom ROMs, custom splash screens, etc.
    I repeat, I don't know **** about this. Just that I didn't need it for the past two years with my Legend (rooted for more than 18 months).
    I read that it has something to do with your hboot, and as I told you to follow the HTC guide to root your legend, yes it has something to do with it because it seems that you can't S-Off easily with a hboot version > 1.00.

- you can backup your device when you are in recovery

Please read guides about rooting your Legend, you will learn about the ClockWorkMod, the recovery, fastboot and last but not least ROM Manager.
    If you are not comfortable with all these terms, you may end up not understanding at all what you are doing or done and being stuck with a (semi-)bricked phone is probably not what you want. Just don't rush for it.

If you want to update your hboot to root your Legend, have a look at BlaY0's post [1] too.

Feel free to read other member's questions and problems, they certainly have been solved. Reading others' mistakes could make you avoid them.

PS: if you want to thank me, press the "Thanks" button below my post ;)

1: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=22613990&postcount=62

edit: didn't see that you used the button already :rolleyes:
    @bibzor great stuff!

My 2c, Rom to try? OK just thinking here, maybe as a beginner to custom roms start with blay0s froyo, it will be more familiar to you coming from stock froyo, but its also got all the bells n whistles that make rooting worth it ie. ext partition support for more app space, over/under clock and more I've forgotten about just now.
    Go here.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=866849

Or if that's too boring for you and want excitement just start with zeubeas ics :D, that'll get your juices flowing, just remember its still a w.i.p. so theres still a few bugs and not everything is working 100% yet, but is still good enough for me to use as a "daily".

The other option I like personally is ogo2's gingerbread

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=987251

Then there's the cyanogenmod & its variants like legendary legends fuse.

Their all good! :thumbup:
    Its a good idea to try and read the whole thread of the custom rom you want to flash for hints tips and other stuff before flashing too.

Welcome to a new world of flashing :D

sent from my legend, currently using zeubea ics beta0

What do I have to do?

Dear People,

My question / problem:

Regards,
    Eer
    For couple of days i tryed some ROMs :
    Cyanogenmod 7.1 -faster and stable, the phone was running perfectly, except the weak WIFI connection (maybe the problem was in my router) .
    ExtremeLegendFuse 2 (best choice for me)- the phone just was flying - much more faster than the Stock ROM , GPS and WIFI worked perfect.
    Now i use Cuanogenmod 7.2 - and will stay with it for future, Like advantages I can notice - lower baterry consumation and a little bit more free available RAM, in comparison with, CM7.1 / ExtremeLegendFuse 2 , on CM7.2 i neved used GPS and have not impression about the GPS ( befor i tryed to drive with GPS and after that i hate it ), everything else works perfct, the ROM is much more faster than the stock 2.2 Froyo ,but this ROM feels a little bit slower in comparison with ExtremeLegendFuse 2 ;

If you want a "fast and cool ROM " I recommend ExtremeLegendFuse 2;
    If you use your phone for work and your phone is always in your hands - use Cuanogenmod 7.2