[GUIDE] Making The Jump From Jelly Bean to KitKat On The AT&T Note 3!

Search This thread

tropazr

Aug 26, 2008
Columbus
I had actually come complacent with the idea of forever living with MJ5 (until the next phone upgrade anyway), but then I came across this post. It worked flawlessly for me, and I love how quick and responsive KK is. Thanks guys!

Previously on MJ5 rooted and debloated.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Awesome! Welcome aboard!

Elemino

Apr 15, 2011
Dallas, TX
www.TwistedCurve.com
I may have spoken too soon on the TTS. Looks like the ROM may be missing the English files.

Other than this issue, this ROM is the way to go... It is quicker, and they've done some tweaks that I like... Also using Xposed I have FINALLY regained CRT screen off...

Can anyone else confirm the issue with TTS, or is it just me? I checked the ROM, and I don't see a set of files for English.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3

---------- Post added at 11:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:22 PM ----------

After looking at it more, I'm only having problems with high quality speech now... I did copy some files from my wife's phone.

Edit: Apparently this problem isn't unique..

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2655733

Last edited:

danbear7777

Aug 15, 2012
sheboygan
okay... Stupid question here... I'm running the new KitKat odexed. When I reboot my phone it says safestrap is disabled. Reboot in 10 seconds. What exactly does that mean and..... what is the solution? I am running busybox 1.22.1 .......Thanks Dan

Last edited:

Elemino

Apr 15, 2011
Dallas, TX
www.TwistedCurve.com
okay... Stupid question here... I'm running the new KitKat odexed. When I reboot my phone it says safestrap is disabled. Reboot in 10 seconds. What exactly does that mean and..... what is the solution? I am running busybox 1.22.1 .......Thanks Dan

I believe it means you're not using a ROM slot, but I may be wrong. I've only used SafeStrap to install this and for utilities.

Update: The problem with TTS was because of the debloating. I ran across posts that seem to believe it was related to ChatOn... I couldn't confirm, but I reflashed my phone last night, left all the bloat in tact, and it works fine now. I'm still loving my phone... Now if only Google can give me Wallet support.

tropazr

Aug 26, 2008
Columbus

No stupid questions here! It will show Safestrap Disabled when you are not using ROM Slots. If you have an active ROM slot it will say Safestrap is working. Basically if you see the splash screen....Safestrap IS working. :) Reminder: ROM Slots are not supported yet on KitKat!!!

Reactions: danbear7777

danbear7777

Aug 15, 2012
sheboygan
No stupid questions here! It will show Safestrap Disabled when you are not using ROM Slots. If you have an active ROM slot it will say Safestrap is working. Basically if you see the splash screen....Safestrap IS working. :) Reminder: ROM Slots are not supported yet on KitKat!!!

thanks I appreciate that. And thank you for the heads up. Just another odd question which rom is better I guess. The odexed or deodexed ROM.... I have the odexed with the bloatware.

Blairware

Nov 12, 2009
Wake Forest, NC
Bricked!

Well, I ended up soft bricked anyway. I had been holding out on 4.4.2 because it didn't have a whole lot of "must haves" and whenever I looked through current SafeStrap ROMs I would constantly see: "Must be on KitKat already to install this ROM. That's like entering a job market that demands experience, lol! Anyway, I was aware of Drakeycmb's process, but again, just hanging back for a bit.

Then I saw this "easy" way to get it done, and seriously, I am mot blaming anyone or anything. What I THINK happened is either because Odin was set to repartition storage, or I git a bad download of URDroid. If it was the repartitioning, this should serve as a warning to others, but I can't see what the packaged Odin and files would be set to repartition like that unless it is needed.

I booted into stock MJ5 rom, one that I never used or touched after rooting it, I removed Slot 1 - the only slot I had used (at least I think I did, it was a delete function in Safestrap/Recovery. Then I factory wiped thee stock rom, deleting Data, Dalvik cache etc (whatever the factory wipe does with just a slide of your finger, no "advanced" wiping)

Then I flashed URDroid, and here I saw 2 error lines at the bottom, each line referencing E:\ "unable to format" or something similar. I retrospect, I should have stopped there, but I went ahead and flashed the 4 Odin files, rebooted, got the "Custom" screen with the lock on it, then... nothing. black screen, even though the phone was running (it was not off) Tried re-applying the Odin files, no good. Had no way to reflach the ROM, so I went ot and found the OneClick.exe that Designgears put out in January - That got me onto a working 4.4.2, but of course not rooted and no wat to root from what I have found.

Anything else I can do besides roll back to MJ5 and start over? I am open to idea, but nothing risky. Had too much drama already. Also any theories on what the hell happened?

tropazr

Aug 26, 2008
Columbus
Anything else I can do besides roll back to MJ5 and start over? I am open to idea, but nothing risky. Had too much drama already. Also any theories on what the hell happened?

Please send me a PM with your hangouts username and I will do whatever I can to help get to the bottom of this.

I've done this twice now and have never had an issue and the files had over 200 downloads so I know I am not the only one to get it to work.

We will get you back up and running.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

tropazr

Aug 26, 2008
Columbus
there again I thought I was limited. I appreciate that thank you. Any others that are debloated?and do they use the same method of instructions

You could check out the AT&T Note 3 All-In-One thread....it has a list of all the currently available KitKat ROMs. If you are already on UrDroid/KitKat you can just download any of these ROM.zips and flash in Safestrap....no Odin required.

Check the 2nd post for links.

Last edited:
Reactions: danbear7777

slickyv

Jan 25, 2009
KINGO Rooted ATT Note 3 on Tmobile network

What's the best way for me to update to KitKat? I didn't get the MJ5 OTA update since I'm on the Tmobile Network. Thanks.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Upgrading from Jelly Bean to KitKat is easy!

Disclaimer
    As always, this carries a certain amount of risk so by using the guide below you agree not to hold me liable if your device turns into a very expensive paperweight (not at all likely but you have been warned! :) )

Prerequisites
    • Windows computer
    • You must be on a 4.3.X Jelly Bean (rooted stock or custom ROM)
    • You must have Safestrap installed
    • UrDroid Stock Rooted KitKat ROM.zip (Odexed or Deodexed) by @carl1961 (everyone go hit his Thanks button!)
    • ODIN.zip (download in second post)
    First Steps
    • Download ODIN.zip & extract the .zip to your desktop.
    • Download UrDroid Stock Rooted KitKat ROM.zip to your internal SD Card by following the download links in the ROM’s original thread (found here).
    • Once downloaded, boot into Safestrap.
    • *IMPORTANT* Make sure you have deleted any extra ROM Slots you have created and that you have your STOCK slot activated!
    • In Safestrap main menu, click on the WIPE button and go ahead and “factory reset” your device (wipe data + cache) like you always do before flashing a ROM.
    • Once you have wiped data, navigate back to the INSTALL button in SafeStrap.
    • Navigate to the UrDroid ROM.zip that you saved to your SD Card and proceed to flash the ROM to your stock slot.
    • Once the ROM has successfully flashed - navigate back to Safestrap menu & choose REBOOT & then DOWNLOAD.
    • Your phone will reboot into Download Mode.
    • Now, open the file located inside of ODIN.zip labeled “Odin & needed files are here” on your desktop.
    • Click on and run Odin3 v3.09.exe.
    • On the right hand side of Odin you will see different buttons labeled PIT, BL, AP, CP.
    • Click on the PIT button and select HLTE_USA_ATT_32G.pit. Now select BL and choose BL_N900AUCECMGL.tar. Now continue to match AP with the AP file and CP with the CP file.
    • Once all 4 files have been inputted into Odin plug in your phone and click START.
    • Let Odin finish its magic then reboot your device.
    • Welcome to KitKat!!!

Next Steps
    • Now that you are on KK you need to sideload Safestrap v3.72.apk and install it to your device.
    • Once you’ve installed it go ahead and open it up and INSTALL Safestrap.
    • Once you have Safestrap installed it is important to note that you cannot mix Jelly Bean & KitKat ROMs with Safestrap….you must stick to KitKat based ROMs (it is possible this will change in the future...if it does I will update this post!)
    • Now that you are running rooted stock KitKat w/Safestrap feel free to flash whatever Custom ROM you'd like to try out!

Credits
    @carl1961 - thank you for everything you do for the community!
    Downloads

Download UrDroid Stock Rooted KitKat.zip
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2584994

Download ODIN.zip (includes all needed files + instructions)
    http://goo.gl/GdJonL

*If you download please consider hitting the thanks button!
    Thank you for your guide.

The following steps are not necessary:

[*]Once the ROM has successfully flashed, pull the battery out of the phone & put it back in (do not reboot).
    [*]Once your battery is reinserted press and hold VOL Down & Power to boot into Download Mode.

Safestrap directly provides: Reboot --> Download.
    OP updated to reflect this!!! Thanks for your help!
    Thank you for your guide.

The following steps are not necessary:

[*]Once the ROM has successfully flashed, pull the battery out of the phone & put it back in (do not reboot).
    [*]Once your battery is reinserted press and hold VOL Down & Power to boot into Download Mode.

Safestrap directly provides: Reboot --> Download.
    Sorry for the ignorance, but will this method keep my user data and root?