i337m gets auto-unrooted everytime I do system update of nightly version

Search This thread

khunkami

Aug 15, 2012
As the subject mentioned, It gets auto-unrooted. So, every nightly update, I always do CF-Auto-Root to root it again.
The problem is my TWRP recovery gets wiped, and I still have to install new TWRP recovery again.

Is there any other easier rooting method which doesnt erase my TWRP recovery other than CFroot method?

Entropy512

Senior Recognized Developer
Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
As the subject mentioned, It gets auto-unrooted. So, every nightly update, I always do CF-Auto-Root to root it again.
The problem is my TWRP recovery gets wiped, and I still have to install new TWRP recovery again.

Is there any other easier rooting method which doesnt erase my TWRP recovery other than CFroot method?

OK, that's REALLY strange... TWRP shouldn't be getting clobbered unless the way you're installing it is causing weird issues.

Have you tried flashing TWRP using heimdall/odin/JOdin? It sounds like you're using some sort of root app to flash it on-device???

As to losing root - SuperSU->Settings->Install backup script is the workaround until we integrate SuperSU into omni.

khunkami

Aug 15, 2012
OK, that's REALLY strange... TWRP shouldn't be getting clobbered unless the way you're installing it is causing weird issues.

Have you tried flashing TWRP using heimdall/odin/JOdin? It sounds like you're using some sort of root app to flash it on-device???

As to losing root - SuperSU->Settings->Install backup script is the workaround until we integrate SuperSU into omni.

I installed TWRP recovery through Goomanager, install script on the phone.
Is that why my TWRP recovery keeps getting removed everytime I do system update?

Entropy512

Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
I installed TWRP recovery through Goomanager, install script on the phone.
Is that why my TWRP recovery keeps getting removed everytime I do system update?

Possibly, goomanager might be doing something weird like doing a fakeflash. I'm not sure.

If you install a TWRP image using heimdall or odin it should persist - the dd method listed in http://teamw.in/project/twrp2/124 should work too. (i337 is the AT&T/Rogers Note2, right?)

Omni shouldn't be flashing recovery on this device (Omni only changes recovery on devices that can't change kernel without changing recovery - like the I9100/I777/N7000 and many Sonys), but even if it is, it should be flashing a TWRP build...

Gertlily

Nov 18, 2012
Harlingen
Possibly, goomanager might be doing something weird like doing a fakeflash. I'm not sure.

I've seen / had the issue to with GooManager. Indeed it is doing a "fakeflash", if you go into recovery from GooManager you will get into the recovery but after that. If you do it on boot you won't get there. No matter what, unless you do a manual install for the recovery..

Hope this helped,

khunkami

Aug 15, 2012
I've seen / had the issue to with GooManager. Indeed it is doing a "fakeflash", if you go into recovery from GooManager you will get into the recovery but after that. If you do it on boot you won't get there. No matter what, unless you do a manual install for the recovery..

Hope this helped,

I am just curious. Why does Omni Rom unroot the device after system-update?

Gertlily

Nov 18, 2012
Harlingen

It is not only the issue on OmniROM but on (almost) every ROM, I've had the same on cyanogen and Samsung Stock.. So flashing it yourself is better.. Hope this bug will get fixed somewhere in the future.

Bye,

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Pons

Sep 2, 2010

It's because Omni doesn't have root yet. It's on the to do list. The easiest way is to install SuperSU to system, then install the back up script. That way you'll keep root through updates.

I know very little about anything, and I was experiencing this same thing. CF-Auto-Root reinstalls stock recovery which overwrites TWRP during the rooting process. Each time I update a nightly and then run CF-Auto-Root to re-root it. After that I use mobile ODIN to reinstall TWRP recovery and all is good.

Entropy512

Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
I know very little about anything, and I was experiencing this same thing. CF-Auto-Root reinstalls stock recovery which overwrites TWRP during the rooting process. Each time I update a nightly and then run CF-Auto-Root to re-root it. After that I use mobile ODIN to reinstall TWRP recovery and all is good.

You shouldn't be using CF-Auto-Root if you have a custom recovery (which you need in order to install Omni). Just flash SuperSU in recovery.

I knew something wasn't quite right but I did it that way because it works. I have downloaded su onto the SD card, as well as the latest nightly build of Omni. Can I install the new nightly with TWRP, and add su as a second zip to install at the same time? Or should I flash them separately?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using xda app-developers app