[Q] Boot loop - insurance wont fix as saying it is water damaged

Search This thread

chouman

Feb 12, 2013
Hi, I have looked everywhere to try and get this problem fixed, but haven't found anything to help.

I have a HTC One X which is absolutely stock. I got it on contract last September and have never rooted it/played with it/etc (I wouldn't know what I was doing!). My problem is that it is on a boot loop and I cannot get it to to get beyond the first HTC splash screen. If I hold down the volume down button to get to the boot menu then it runs for around 1.5-2 seconds then reboots again. The details below show where it gets to.

I contacted my insurance company and sent it in and they have told me that the phone has been water damaged and they will not fix it. I am covered for water damage, but as I didn't declare in my insurance form that this was the cause for the failure they will not accept responsibility! The thing is that while I accept that I have used my phone in the rain on a number of times (I'm a keen walker despite the weather), I have never immersed it in water. I can only assume that the indicators have come up because I've used the phone while out walking in the rain. Despite what I say they will not fix the phone and HTC don't want to know because of the indicators, just referring me to my insurer as the water indicators are red. I am obviously hacked off, but surely if the screen isn't a problem and it's booting this far then surely I can get the phone to work?

The display is as follows:

*** LOCKED ***
ENDEAVORU PVT SHIP S-ON RL
HBOOT-1.39.0000
CPLD-None
MICROP-None
RADIO-5.1204.162.29
eMMC-bootmode: disabled
CPU-bootmode : disabled
HW Secure Boot: enabled
MODEM PATH : OFF
Dec 17 2012,13:59:37
Battery level is too low to flash

HBOOT

SD Checking...
Failed to open usb master mode
loading PJ461MG.zip image..
Failed to open usb master mode

When I try to charge the phone it just enters a boot loop, lasts about 4/5 seconds then reboots, so I can't see how to get it to do anything else. This means that I cannot flash it/link it to my pc/etc.

Can anybody help me get the phone back up and running so I don't use it as a frisbee?! I am still under contract until September 2014 and would hate to think that I've got to pay for a phone I can't even use!

TwinAdk

Mar 15, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S22 Plus
You can charge it when it boot loops - see here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1738274 :)
That will allow you to charge it to 100%, even though it cant boot.

Next, did you expose it to water, or is the insurance company BS'ing? What happend when the bootlooping started? Any updates (On The Air) that caused it, or anything?

EDIT:
to get to the boot menu then it runs for around 1.5-2 seconds then reboots again
Does it reboot by ITSELF, when in the bootloader menu??

Kind Regards
TwinAdk

chouman

Feb 12, 2013
You can charge it when it boot loops - see here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1738274 :)
That will allow you to charge it to 100%, even though it cant boot.

Next, did you expose it to water, or is the insurance company BS'ing? What happend when the bootlooping started? Any updates (On The Air) that caused it, or anything?

EDIT:

Does it reboot by ITSELF, when in the bootloader menu??

Kind Regards
TwinAdk

Thank you for the quick reply.

The phone is not holding any charge at all. I left it to charge for 6 hours yesterday to try and get somewhere with it, but the whole time it was on charge it was rebooting itself and when I unplugged the charger then it booted twice more and gave up as the battery was flat. I assume it was using all of the power coming in to reboot as it went.

I can remember about a month ago that I did have my phone in my hand and I was texting through quite severe rain, so yes, I assume it must have been then that the indicator marks came up. It has worked fine since until this episode last week and it just seemed to die on it's own. I was sending a text at the time, the phone froze so I tried to reset it (power and volume up) and it just boot looped after that.

I'm not aware of any updates in the last week or so; and the phone is rebooting by itself. Even if I leave it for 24 hours then moments after plugging in the chager it tries to boot, lasts a few seconds til the HTC logo screen, then stops and reboots.

I cannot get the phone to link to my PC. As soon as my computer begins to recognise it then the phone reboots and it disconnects from the computer. This rules out the possibility of adding in the .rar file.

Last edited:

TwinAdk

Mar 15, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S22 Plus
Sv: [Q] Boot loop - insurance wont fix as saying it is water damaged

It has worked fine since until this episode last week and it just seemed to die on it's own.

Even if I leave it for 24 hours then moments after plugging in the chager it tries to boot, lasts a few seconds til the HTC logo screen, then stops and reboots.
Ok, what is 'this episode last week'? The sudden freeze or? And when you connect the charger, does it turn on by itself?

While in the bootloader menu, do you have time to ask the phone to turn off? That way it can charge while off. But if it does not hold battery AT ALL, I think it's a new phone....

Kind Regards
TwinAdk
- Via the premium XDA app

chouman

Feb 12, 2013
Last week was when the phone froze.
I cannot get the phone to shut down, it doesn't give me long enough. Plus, when plugged in the phoje tries to boot without me trying to turn it on, which isn't good either.
I really like(d?) My phone, should I just accept its gone and move on?
My son's old Wildfire is driving me bonkers this now!

TwinAdk

Mar 15, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S22 Plus

Well, I would say it's toast.. From the given status of the hardware i see no way to recover, without involving a technician. But with water in the game it can be hard to pin down the reason for the behaviour.. I would say the main print since it turns on and off by itself..

Have you tried drying it, and for how long has it been this way? Also, do you have the guts to open up the phone for a diy fix?

Kind Regards
TwinAdk

chouman

Feb 12, 2013
Well, I would say it's toast.. From the given status of the hardware i see no way to recover, without involving a technician. But with water in the game it can be hard to pin down the reason for the behaviour.. I would say the main print since it turns on and off by itself..

Have you tried drying it, and for how long has it been this way? Also, do you have the guts to open up the phone for a diy fix?

Kind Regards
TwinAdk

Hi,

I am in the process of appealing with my insurance company. Their case is that I didn't disclose all the material facts, but I am of the opinion that if it was water damaged at some point, then it has worked for weeks before it decided to play up, so that cannot be the reason. I did put the phone in a sealed box of rice and placed that in the boiler cupboard for 3 days when it was returned by the insurance co. When I took it out it was exactly the same as before. The phone came out on Monday of this week.

I'll wait for the result of my appeal before I pull it apart. Not entirely sure what I would do once in the case, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it!

herbie13

Dec 11, 2012
Portsmouth
If you need to take it apart its not that bad. I had to dismantle mine when my sons drink spilt all over it and it started rebooting and went into safe mode before I could turn it off. There are videos on youtube to show you how. However if you have dried it as much as you say I am not sure what you can do once in there :)

Water got all around my SIM and volume controls but all ok once dried out.

Good luck

Sent from my HTC One X

chouman

Feb 12, 2013
If you need to take it apart its not that bad. I had to dismantle mine when my sons drink spilt all over it and it started rebooting and went into safe mode before I could turn it off. There are videos on youtube to show you how. However if you have dried it as much as you say I am not sure what you can do once in there :)

Water got all around my SIM and volume controls but all ok once dried out.

Good luck

Sent from my HTC One X

Thanks herbie. I should hear back from my insurance company regarding the appeal I made over the next day or two. Fingers crossed I wont have to resort to pulling the phone apart. Pretty sure that the board is fried, so not sure what I would achieve anyway.

I've still got the phone and have had it in the boiler cupboard again inside a box full of rice, so if nothing else, anything that may have been in there will be long dried up by time I hear back. I'll pull it out after they get back to me.

chouman

Feb 12, 2013
Thanks herbie. I should hear back from my insurance company regarding the appeal I made over the next day or two. Fingers crossed I wont have to resort to pulling the phone apart. Pretty sure that the board is fried, so not sure what I would achieve anyway.

I've still got the phone and have had it in the boiler cupboard again inside a box full of rice, so if nothing else, anything that may have been in there will be long dried up by time I hear back. I'll pull it out after they get back to me.

Guys, just want to thank you for your time on this one. I've had a letter through this morning accepting my appeal. They asked me to get a letter from my network confirming that the IMEI of this phone was in use up until the date I said and I sent this in, and I sent this on.

I've just called them and they said that the phone was unrepairable and I should expect contact within 3 working days with either a replacement being sent out (reconditioned phone) or a cash payment to buy a replacement.

Just a few more days with a 3/4 year old HTC Wildfire then back to a speedy One X (or One if they make a cash offer!).

TwinAdk

Mar 15, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S22 Plus

Thats great :) Nice that they accepted the appeal. They seems thorough in that they are asking for the imei number and proof of usage, wow :)

Kind Regards
TwinAdk

koenster

Jan 1, 2011
Lisse
Hi!
Sorry for bumping the topic, but I had the same problem.
The power button was broken, and was constantly pushed in. The device rebooted all by itself, and couldn't charge.
I replaced the power button and it all works like a charm right now!
Sorry for being to late, but I discovered yesterday ;)

TwinAdk

Mar 15, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S22 Plus

Didn't the constantly pressed power button result in the buttons below the screen flashing? :) I don't know if the OP experienced this..

Kind Regards
TwinAdk

chouman

Feb 12, 2013
Didn't the constantly pressed power button result in the buttons below the screen flashing? :) I don't know if the OP experienced this..

Kind Regards
TwinAdk

I don't think there was any issue with the power button, but it would make some sense. I did ask what they found to be wrong with the phone and the lady on the phone just said it was unrepairable.

I called again today and I've been told to expect a white 32gb One X to be coming my way (again within 3 days which seems to be their standard response to anything!), so glad it's all over. Hoping to get my wife to take it on to replace her white iPhone 4S which is coming out of contract in a couple of months as she's after something faster and I'll get the new HTC One, but not too confident of pulling that off!

koenster

Jan 1, 2011
Lisse
No, my buttons weren't flashing at all, if you try yourself, they aren't flashing too.
Glad it's fixed but I'm pretty sure it was the power button :p