[Q] Is Kingo not working at all?

Search This thread

Oh_wow

Oct 1, 2010
So. Ca
I'm interested in the new ROMs that are out but before I start playing I want to have my odin and root steps up to date. I notice that there have been several folks have had kingo fail and have had to use vroot. Is this the standard to use now? Just want to be sure I'm doing this correctly.

I'm on the current baseband and kernel, if that helps.

Thanks in advance.

oconnell84

Sep 20, 2009
In your home
I'm interested in the new ROMs that are out but before I start playing I want to have my odin and root steps up to date. I notice that there have been several folks have had kingo fail and have had to use vroot. Is this the standard to use now? Just want to be sure I'm doing this correctly.

Thanks in advance.

I am one of the folks who had to use Vroot. I would try Kingo first and if that does not work then switch to Vroot.

Reactions: Oh_wow

Takinato

Jul 8, 2012
I tried everything under the sun to get kingo to work and it never did. I went to vroot and it worked first try

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Kevins89notch

Feb 1, 2014
I used vroot about a week ago. Super easy, took maybe 30 seconds, and my knox WAS NOT tripped. I couldn't be happier.

G

GuestK00143

I used Vroot the other day to re root my phone after a reset and replaced the Chinese superuser with Chainfires supersu. You can install it either via Playstore or flash it in safestrap witch I prefer. Also be sure to uninstall whatever other Chinese app gets installed. I have no idea what it is because I can't read it. As a added precaution I also removed my sim card during root. As for Kingo It didn't work for me but there is activity on their twitter account.

Last edited:

recDNA

Aug 24, 2011
I used Vroot the other day to re root my phone after a reset and replaced the Chinese superuser with Chainfires supersu. You can install it either via Playstore or flash it in safestrap witch I prefer. Also be sure to uninstall whatever other Chinese app gets installed. I have no idea what it is because I can't read it. As a added precaution I also removed my sim card during root. As for Kingo It didn't work for me but there is activity on their twitter account.
Removing the simm card during root sounds like a great idea.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk 2

---------- Post added at 09:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 AM ----------

I miss the good old days when there would be a separate thread for each rooting process with suggestions and questions. Now it's search here, search there, search everywhere!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk 2

NissanNick

Jun 12, 2011
I tried 1000000 times last night and it did not work. I used Vroot and it worked great. But remember to do I factory reset to get rid of all the bad crap it loads.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

G

GuestK00143

I tried 1000000 times last night and it did not work. I used Vroot and it worked great. But remember to do I factory reset to get rid of all the bad crap it loads.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
They must have just got Kingo working because I used it twice today. The second time worked on the first try. I tried it a second time after a full Oden reset just to make sure. Had some extra time today to play around.

yearn2burn

Apr 3, 2011
Atlanta

Worked for me too with MJE. Used USB 3.0 cable in USB 3.0 mode MTP. Prior to that failed in ODIN mode and in MTP mode without USB 3.0. But may be just random luck. Now have Supersu app.

Questions:
1. Should I use that Supersu or change. Looks like same old Supersu, but the version with yellow superman shield and red # sign.
2. Also, it asks if I want to disable Knox. Should I do that? Does that risk tripping know counter?

G

GuestK00143

Worked for me too with MJE. Used USB 3.0 cable in USB 3.0 mode MTP. Prior to that failed in ODIN mode and in MTP mode without USB 3.0. But may be just random luck. Now have Supersu app.

Questions:
1. Should I use that Supersu or change. Looks like same old Supersu, but the version with yellow superman shield and red # sign.
2. Also, it asks if I want to disable Knox. Should I do that? Does that risk tripping know counter?

Keep supersu but update it to the current v1.93 either by Play Store or flashing in safestrap and yes disable Knox it will not trip the counter. Enjoy.

danthepunman

Jan 25, 2012
Yes K works even though it says it fails. I posted my experience back on Feb 3 in another similar thread or look via my profile. In short it will say that it failed but su app shows up and use a root checker to verify. Removal of sd card and pulling and replacing the sim card before root might help. Also watch you phone for a security permission to add an app. I sat an extra five minutes before realizing it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thanks in advance.

I am one of the folks who had to use Vroot. I would try Kingo first and if that does not work then switch to Vroot.