Wi-Fi tethering - Amaze

Search This thread

jjane45

Jul 2, 2011
Tried the instructions on page 4 (deleted old APN and added new APN with just name and APN value), still redirected to T-Mobile page.

Installed the Wifi Tether app from google code, force closes every single time I start it.

Sad, my Samsung Exhibit II worked perfectly but can't get the Amaze to tether, wifi or USB (PdaNet). Windows 7 home premium and BeastMOD 2.2.0. Tips would be greatly appreciated!

G

glacierguy

Tried the instructions on page 4 (deleted old APN and added new APN with just name and APN value), still redirected to T-Mobile page.

Installed the Wifi Tether app from google code, force closes every single time I start it.

Sad, my Samsung Exhibit II worked perfectly but can't get the Amaze to tether, wifi or USB (PdaNet). Windows 7 home premium and BeastMOD 2.2.0. Tips would be greatly appreciated!

I also tried page 4 instructions. Didn't work. Just brought me to page that has my amaze router name that I couldn't change along with a password I wouldn't change. My tablet and laptop both connect, but they don't get internet access.

EDIT: I got it working. Deleted old apn after creating new apn, then went to menu>wireless and networks>hotspot settings then personalized router info and I was able to connect successfully with internet access.

Sent from my Energized HTC Amaze 4G using xda-premium

Last edited:

JesseMT4G

Aug 30, 2011
Youngstown
Weird, mine works just fine. I mean hotspot anyway. Was using my Kindle Fire off this phone and worked like a champ. Wondering if it is because I have the 5G plan and unlimited everything?

I did call about something else into CS and the guy tried to sell me on the hotspot, so I don't know. Hopefully I don't get charged for it. I haven't ran into any pages saying I need to call to get it to work.

I know I used it religiously with my mytouch4G and I wasn't unlimited with that plan and was never charged extra.

I guess I will find out, lol!

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk

G

glacierguy

Weird, mine works just fine. I mean hotspot anyway. Was using my Kindle Fire off this phone and worked like a champ. Wondering if it is because I have the 5G plan and unlimited everything?

I did call about something else into CS and the guy tried to sell me on the hotspot, so I don't know. Hopefully I don't get charged for it. I haven't ran into any pages saying I need to call to get it to work.

I know I used it religiously with my mytouch4G and I wasn't unlimited with that plan and was never charged extra.

I guess I will find out, lol!

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk

My mt4g had no issues with WiFi tethering either...was never charged extra, just throttled after 5gb. I'll play with it more and see if I can get it working

Sent from my Energized HTC Amaze 4G using xda-premium

aiwapro

Mar 15, 2007
Just an update; Deleting the Data APN, and creating a new one only with the APN field completed as epc.tmobile.com worked for me. This is the same as what is described earlier. Hotspot and USB tethering work now. As a note, I did have to release and renew on my laptop at first, and I did a flushdns and registerdns along with it. Afterwards, it worked.

Jun 22, 2007
I've heard some android devices have an entitlement_check in some database. Does anyone know if this is true on the Amaze?

Thanks all.

Last edited:

daeboe

Sep 24, 2010
Los Angeles
You don't need to make a new APN or anything. Just go under your APN. You'll find a username server etc. Make sure the Username and Password and Server fields are empty meaning they show <Not set>. You'll have tethering after that.

aiwapro

Mar 15, 2007
You don't need to make a new APN or anything. Just go under your APN. You'll find a username server etc. Make sure the Username and Password and Server fields are empty meaning they show <Not set>. You'll have tethering after that.

Mine came empty in the username, password, and server fields. I had delete the APN, and create a new one.

Marquis63

Nov 24, 2010
Modesto,CA
I used apn manager from the market, deleted all the tethering apns, made a new one with internet2.voicestream.com and one with epc.tmo.com hotspot works great on newest OTA no problems

imrazor

Jul 11, 2010
I have a different working solution, on my Amaze 4g with ota update, just go into access point settings,. Reset default, then open up tmobile data, under "apn type" erase all (default,hipri,etc) and leave blank, save n it should work,. Has been so far since I got this phone,. (4 days) hope it helps u guys too.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using XDA App

So far this is working well for me w/USB tether...no need for a third party app. Just deleted all data under "APN Type" in the original T-mobile Data APN. Haven't tried pushing >200MB yet though.

AndroidAutobot

Apr 5, 2009
Portland OR
I have a different working solution, on my Amaze 4g with ota update, just go into access point settings,. Reset default, then open up tmobile data, under "apn type" erase all (default,hipri,etc) and leave blank, save n it should work,. Has been so far since I got this phone,. (4 days) hope it helps u guys too.

Workingike a charm for me as well =) thanks delivered =)

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using xda premium

CoCoGirl886

Mar 26, 2011
Originally I wasn't able to connect at all, but after trying the above tips it worked. But I got an upsell message from Tmobile a couple days ago (I'm guessing maybe I hit the 200mb limit?).

I tried to tether again just now and it is working again. It's not yet a new billing cycle for me. So I'm wondering why it's working. Is the 200mb limit per day or just that I had bad luck that day :confused:? And how can I bypass the message/limit if it comes up again?

AndroidAutobot

Apr 5, 2009
Portland OR
Originally I wasn't able to connect at all, but after trying the above tips it worked. But I got an upsell message from Tmobile a couple days ago (I'm guessing maybe I hit the 200mb limit?).

I tried to tether again just now and it is working again. It's not yet a new billing cycle for me. So I'm wondering why it's working. Is the 200mb limit per day or just that I had bad luck that day :confused:? And how can I bypass the message/limit if it comes up again?

the reason its still working is because, on the 200Mb plan, you're being charged $1.99 per megabite overage. It's 200MB a MONTH. As a professional, Id NEVER recommend anything as scrawny as 200Mb for ANY android phone. You can easily use that amount in a single day much less a month. The 2Gb is only (at the most expensive, variable on your rate plan) $10 more per month. Well worth the extra 1800Mb. Not to mention the fact that the 200Mb doesn't throttle, it just charges you overage. I'd highly recommend dialing #web# to make sure you're not running your bill up to timbucktu because, (especially if you're tethering, and clearly since you've already received the text warning) its extremely likely you're already well past the 200Mb mark. as long as you catch any overage before the end of your billing cycle the 2Gb package can be backdated to the start of your cycle to cover the overage. And w/ the 2, 5 and 10 packages, there is no overage charges (on 200Mb it charges $1.99 per Mb in some cases, older grandfathered versions it doesn't but they changed it about 6 months ago at the very least if not earlier than that). The other options simply throttle your speeds in the event that you hit your limit.

If an actual salesperson recommended the 200Mb to you for an Android phone, I wouldn't honestly trust their advice on anything since they don't seem to have a clear understanding of how much data use is typical of a basic android phone, much less the Amaze ha ha. =)

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using xda premium

Last edited:

danski0224

Apr 6, 2012

Stupid question... where is "access point settings"?

danski0224

Apr 6, 2012
according to this: 1. Go to Settings > Wireless & Networks > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names
2. Menu > New APN
3. Tap Name, and name it anything > OK
4. Tap APN and enter "epc.tmobile.com" (without the quotes) > OK
5. Menu > Save
6. Select the APN that you just created (make sure there's a green dot next to it)
7. Enjoy Wi-Fi Hotspot!

Using this method, my Hotspot tethering is still working:

I tried this, and I am getting a "limited or no connectivity" message on my laptop. The signal, according to the laptop, is "excellent".

Same results using this method: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=19830765&postcount=70

Loophole closed?

Just for S&G's, I fired up my HTC HD2 running CM7 on the SD card, enabled the hotspot, and I have internet connectivity on the laptop. The SSID is "AndroidAP".

Last edited:

stevedebi

Sep 7, 2005
Los Angeles
I had the amaze for a month but returned it. Tethering did not work for me. I thought it might be the new SIM card they made me take with the amaze, but that same card is tethering fine on my HD2.

Sent from my HTC View in LALA land.

danski0224

Apr 6, 2012
I had the amaze for a month but returned it. Tethering did not work for me. I thought it might be the new SIM card they made me take with the amaze, but that same card is tethering fine on my HD2.

If I could return mine, I would. The bluetooth reception is horrible on the Amaze.

The people at the TMO store told me it was my headset, and by the time I got a new one, the exchange period was over.

A new exchanged phone and a few BT headsets later, same problem.

stevedebi

Sep 7, 2005
Los Angeles
If I could return mine, I would. The bluetooth reception is horrible on the Amaze.

The people at the TMO store told me it was my headset, and by the time I got a new one, the exchange period was over.

A new exchanged phone and a few BT headsets later, same problem.

I used a BT headset without problems at least 3 days a week for three weeks. I don't recall any problems. I was using it just for a hands-free, and not for music playback.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I created a new apn on the htc one s. however it keeps automatically switching back to the default t-mobile data apn so i get the hotspot message. is it because of my signal?

thanks.

Since no one seems to want to be helpful anymore, I will answer. You have to either edit the original, or after you create the new one, erase the original. And to those complaining about asking in the wrong forum, the reason he asked here is caused a search probably led him here cause a couple pages back they were taking about whether this fix would work on a one s. Come on, be more helpful and less like forum nazis!

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using xda app-developers app
    No need to ROOT to get tethering to work and stop getting redirected to the Mobile HotSpot page. All you have to do is delete all tethering APNs.
    after using Opera for about month i have the same problem again:crying::crying::crying:
    ready to give up
    Don't feel bad, Binary 130kb/s is my average. I live in a 2G area with a 4G area ten miles up the road.

130kb/s makes me feel terrible when I'm accustomed to averaging 15mb/s.
    Throttling down that much should be violation of the Eighth Amendment. :(