[Completed] Remotely Control GS5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

mahomeless

Jun 23, 2014
Hi everyone. This is my first post but I've been using this website as a resource for years. I'm struggling to find something and I hope you can point me in the right direction.

I just bought a Galaxy S5 right after it came out. Within a matter of days I managed to shatter the screen. I was working on my car and must have left the phone on the trunk/spoiler. I ended up driving away. I came home later figuring I just left it in the house... but I found it in the street with a broken screen. The phone amazingly works just fine, except the screen is completely unusable. I'm figuring out insurance right now...

In the mean time I would like to be able to check my phone and at least reply to anyone that has text messaged or called me and let them know that I will be waiting on a new device to come in. The phone is rooted, but USB debugging was not enabled when this accident occurred.

I read a couple of threads on connecting and controlling your phone over usb. The main requirement I can't get past is that most of them mention that USB debugging must be enabled for this to work. So I'm at a loss there. Another route I have been looking into is installing a VNC client from the google play store. Then connecting to that via my laptop. The issue with this route is that I cannot turn the remote server on.

I have seen a few threads but I have not been able to find one that allowed me to remotely control my phone without USB debugging enabled. That is my biggest problem.

If there is any possible way control it without the screen, please point me in that direction.

Thanks

Thanks.

bhiga

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 13, 2010
Hey there. Sorry about your screen. Normally we'd point you to a thread to help but this is quick.
Most remote control solutions need some kind of verification or configuration, so my best suggestion would be to get a MHL adapter to get HDMI output from your phone. Galaxy S3 and newer require the newer 11-pin MHL so ensure compatibility if you're ordering online.
The HDMI will show what the screen would and as long as your touchscreen is still working you can operate your phone that way.

-= this post enhanced with bonus mobile typos =-

Last edited:
Reactions: PulseDroid

mahomeless

Jun 23, 2014
Hey there. Sorry about your screen. Normally we'd point you to a thread to help but this is quick.
Most remote control solutions need some kind of verification or configuration, so my best suggestion would be to get a MHL adapter to get HDMI output from your phone. Galaxy S3 and newer require the newer 11-pin MHL so ensure compatibility if you're ordering online.
The HDMI will show what the screen would and as long as your touchscreen is still working you can operate your phone that way.

dang. That was my last option. The touch screen does not work at all. So I can't control it. I don't know what to do..

bhiga

Oct 13, 2010
dang. That was my last option. The touch screen does not work at all. So I can't control it. I don't know what to do..
:( That's unfortunate...
If you have a spare phone, I would put your SIM in there - you won't get any of the already-received messages/etc, but at least you can get and respond to new stuff.

I recommend replying to the [SUPPORT THREAD] The Galaxy ~S5~ All in one support thread!**NOOB FRIENDLY** or create a new thread in the Galaxy S 5 Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting section.

I'm sure there's someone smarter than me in there that will hopefully have an idea. Maybe there's an S5 dock that will let you use a USB keyboard/mouse or something? (Bluetooth would require pairing, which requires touchscreen interaction)

Good luck!!

---------- Post added at 09:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:20 AM ----------

UPDATE: I happen to have some accessories on-hand, so I just connected a USB keyboard to the (Samsung) USB OTG cable, and connected that to my S3 and it responds to input - at least if Samsung Keyboard is your default input method (it prompted me, as I usually use Flex T9). Can't swipe to unlock with the keyboard, but if you can at least get your phone unlocked it might get you somewhere.

Since I assume you can't see your screen in a usable fashion, you'll still need to combine the OTG keyboard/mouse with HDMI output to get both input and a viewable interface. It may be different on your S5, but at least on my S3, this requires a MHL adapter that has a micro USB port that accepts the OTG adapter and a powered USB OTG cable so you can plug the power into the USB OTG, and plug the USB OTG into the MHL adapter, and plug the MHL adapter into the phone.

I tried the Samsung OTG cable (P/N ET-R205UBEGSTA / UPC 635753495546) - it is not a powered USB OTG cable - with the Samsung MHL 2 adapter (P/N ET-H10FAUWESTA / UPC 887276848013) - and it did not work.

Just the USB OTG alone worked, but in your case that wouldn't give you an interface to see.

So definitely look into either a dock with USB and HDMI output or a powered OTG cable combined with MHL adapter with USB input.
Make sure the MHL adapter has a 5-pin USB, otherwise the OTG will definitely not work (the Samsung one I used does, but I can't verify since I don't have a powered OTG cable on-hand).

According to this thread, Samsung Smart Dock Multimedia Hub, the Samsung Galaxy Smart Dock, P/N EDD-S20JWEGSTA may do the trick! At least people reported it worked for the S4, so I would hope it works for the S5 as well.

I should note here that the additional testing I did above is not normal for XDA Assist... XDA Assist is not a troubleshooting forum. But I just happened to have the stuff handy so it was quick test. :)

Last edited:

mahomeless

Jun 23, 2014
:( That's unfortunate...
If you have a spare phone, I would put your SIM in there - you won't get any of the already-received messages/etc, but at least you can get and respond to new stuff.

I recommend replying to the [SUPPORT THREAD] The Galaxy ~S5~ All in one support thread!**NOOB FRIENDLY** or create a new thread in the Galaxy S 5 Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting section.

I'm sure there's someone smarter than me in there that will hopefully have an idea. Maybe there's an S5 dock that will let you use a USB keyboard/mouse or something? (Bluetooth would require pairing, which requires touchscreen interaction)

Good luck!!

---------- Post added at 09:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:20 AM ----------

UPDATE: I happen to have some accessories on-hand, so I just connected a USB keyboard to the (Samsung) USB OTG cable, and connected that to my S3 and it responds to input - at least if Samsung Keyboard is your default input method (it prompted me, as I usually use Flex T9). Can't swipe to unlock with the keyboard, but if you can at least get your phone unlocked it might get you somewhere.

Since I assume you can't see your screen in a usable fashion, you'll still need to combine the OTG keyboard/mouse with HDMI output to get both input and a viewable interface. It may be different on your S5, but at least on my S3, this requires a MHL adapter that has a micro USB port that accepts the OTG adapter and a powered USB OTG cable so you can plug the power into the USB OTG, and plug the USB OTG into the MHL adapter, and plug the MHL adapter into the phone.

I tried the Samsung OTG cable (P/N ET-R205UBEGSTA / UPC 635753495546) - it is not a powered USB OTG cable - with the Samsung MHL 2 adapter (P/N ET-H10FAUWESTA / UPC 887276848013) - and it did not work.

Just the USB OTG alone worked, but in your case that wouldn't give you an interface to see.

So definitely look into either a dock with USB and HDMI output or a powered OTG cable combined with MHL adapter with USB input.
Make sure the MHL adapter has a 5-pin USB, otherwise the OTG will definitely not work (the Samsung one I used does, but I can't verify since I don't have a powered OTG cable on-hand).

According to this thread, Samsung Smart Dock Multimedia Hub, the Samsung Galaxy Smart Dock, P/N EDD-S20JWEGSTA may do the trick! At least people reported it worked for the S4, so I would hope it works for the S5 as well.

I should note here that the additional testing I did above is not normal for XDA Assist... XDA Assist is not a troubleshooting forum. But I just happened to have the stuff handy so it was quick test. :)

Ok sweet thank you. I will take a quick trip to best buy and see if they have any docks on hand. I do have another phone that I could use. It's not mine but I'm sure I can borrow it for now. I can't get the sim out the s5 though. It feels like it's glued in place. I also have a macbook with bluetooth. So if I could some how enable and access the phone without configuring it... I would be able to pair through bluetooth.

bhiga

Oct 13, 2010
If your local Best Buy has a Samsung Experience (most non Mobile BBYs have them) hunt down the Samsung rep and see if they have additional advice and ideas.

bhiga

Oct 13, 2010
Also, for SIM removal I have found it convenient to get a piece of removable tape (Scotch Magic - the not-so-clear one) to stick on the SIM, then pull the tape gently sideways. Otherwise when you try to push it with your finger you usually just bind it in the depression it sits in.

Good luck, and if you have further questions or need additional assistance, please follow up on the appropriate links above. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.