[ROM][A501] ICS Evil Alex Unleashed Ver 2-10/08/2012 & OC/UV Kernel

Search This thread

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
From what I can see of 1.3 (and I only just got it going) the 3g and wifi are fine, everything seems to work ok. I had the BNeta working on my tab last night and didn't have any problems with market but must admit I also didn't purchase any apps. 3G worked brilliantly for a few hours until I swapped to the wifi for the ret of the night. No problems there at all..

Brilliant job as always MD... :D
PS - missing the picture of your "wife"....:p

Yeah, I left the wife out of it this time ;) (although she graces my bootloader)

As with the market, I usually don't purchase many apps anymore. Already spent too much money in the past ;) But the issue was there. So I reverted back to an older Playmarket app. Seems with the 501, they changed the app from play market to "phonesky". Stupid.

Check for SOD if you could please. I haven't had one for over a week, but I also do a lot of flashing lately so haven't noticed. Overnight deep sleeps seem to work ok for me.

I suspect we may get an occassional one from time to time, but not like the last release.

MD

imaulana

Sep 9, 2009
Ciputat
For you guys who seem to have a severe SOD issue, I will have to ask the question;

Did you do your complete Wipes and formats before installing? (Wipe Data, Cache, Dalvik, the goto mounts and Storage and format System and Flexrom)?

As it seems you have some kernel code left from Alex IV the previous version. At least that is how it acts like.

Also, I need to know which Bootloader you are currently using? Download AcerRecovery from the market. Start the app, and it will tell you which bootloader version you currently have.

Please post your versions as soon as possible.

MD

OK MD, i have bootloader V8 from skrilazx (or whoever it is, sorry if i can't spell it correctly). i do what you told us to do in the OP (about all the wiping things and formating).
Last night i plug the charger and turn my wifi on for the whole night for updating all my apps and contacts. and in the morning, there's no SOD. But after i unpluged the charger and turn the wifi off, the SOD begin to appear.

i'm not complaining, just want to inform you about this bug. And i'm still the loyal user of your ROM.
Thanks MD.

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
OK MD, i have bootloader V8 from skrilazx (or whoever it is, sorry if i can't spell it correctly). i do what you told us to do in the OP (about all the wiping things and formating).
Last night i plug the charger and turn my wifi on for the whole night for updating all my apps and contacts. and in the morning, there's no SOD. But after i unpluged the charger and turn the wifi off, the SOD begin to appear.

i'm not complaining, just want to inform you about this bug. And i'm still the loyal user of your ROM.
Thanks MD.

It's ok. No offense taken believe me :D I just like to make sure of things. One never knows these days.......

I expect an occasional SOD. Heck, I actually had my first (after reading your post ;) ). After all, it's still an RC3 (release candidate).

Compared to the "leaked" release, it's a whole lot better. I don't like the way Acer did the fix on the 3g though. Way too many "ril restarts" for me. But it works. Seems that is their fix (to bury a ril restarter in the kernel). At least from what I can gather.

Nice job Acer :mad: How about dumping some 501 kernel source so it can get fixed properly?

The SOD, is probably nothing more than increasing board voltage when it sleeps. But without source, we can't make a kernel to adjust it or even test a theory.

Well, let's wait for the next release :D:D:D:D:D:D:D (MD looks for a fresh bottle.....)

Thanks for the support!

MD

Reactions: imaulana

thevilish

Feb 29, 2008
It's only two days since I flashed Alex V but never got SOD. I have ICS BL V3... Once I had freeze to death but I think it was SwiftKey keyboard issue. So far pretty fluent rom :)

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
Battery mod

Ok Boys and Girls.

Who want's to try this battery % Mod????

Much thanks to Civato for the mod :D:D (my apk tool refuses to re-compile because it hates me this week)

Now, things changed with ICS. Batt mods are really no longer in Framework-res, as Google thought they should be in SystemUI. Thanks Google...

MD

EDIT: I pulled it from the main post. Reason, USB icon, and Play market icon didn't show. Like I said, ICS is a little wonky about system changes. Everything else still works. But, it seems will have to install mods by a total rom install.

Will add it to the build along with the APN changes and post a new install.

Last edited:

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
I come from Jakarta. 9335.80 km away south east from moskow. i hope that can charge your spirit to build this ROM.

:D

Battery mod....here i go

Wow! That's a lotta KM!

I'll still cook for the 501. At least till Acer gets some solid stuff. Want to do it also for some additional regions as well.

Still have my eye on the A710 or Asus Infinity. Whichever comes first ;) Might settle for a TF Prime with 3g.

So far, in Moscow, all they have left are a large amount of W500 and W501's!!!!

Gee..... I wonder why??? :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

MD

chmp

Feb 15, 2010
Sofia
Hi Moscow Desire,
Congratulations on the new cooked ROM.
The problem with "no service" on 3G seems fixed. Several times it happened after Slip is to restart the modem and want to re-entering the PIN. These are my observations for now.
regards

P.S.
if you engage in any of the following fixes, edit config file in Access point of VivaTel Broadband userr & pass both with all letters Caps (VIVACOM, VIVACOM)
see link:
http://www.vivacom.bg/en/residential/help_and_advice/mobile_phone_settings/lg_gt405/settings/1156

Last edited:

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
Hi Moscow Desire,
Congratulations on the new cooked ROM.
The problem with "no service" on 3G seems fixed. Several times it happened after Slip is to restart the modem and want to re-entering the PIN. These are my observations for now.
regards

P.S.
if you engage in any of the following fixes, edit config file in Access point of VivaTel Broadband userr & pass both with all letters Caps (VIVACOM, VIVACOM)
http://www.vivacom.bg/en/residential/help_and_advice/mobile_phone_settings/lg_gt405/settings/1156

Thanks!

I'll look into modifying the APN's file, and see if I can get your info in there. (never did it before, but am sure you will test it for me :D )

If I do it correctly, I will send you as a flash update.

I am sure as other new providers happen, we will have to do the same.

Thanks for the link, as it will help a lot!

MD

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
APN file For Vivacom

see link:

Ok, in this post is a modified APN file. I added your APN for Vivacom. I guess it used to belong to the network "VivaTel", as vivatel was listed in the APN file.

Not sure about the "user" and "password" in Cap letters. All other entries are in lowercase. You may have to change them. If you do, open the xml in Notepad++ (free from internet) or let me know and I'll change it.

Ok, now you have to use Root Explorer to do this, as I don't have time to make a flash file (baby buggy time). So the attached zip IS NOT FLASHABLE.

In Root Explorer, go to /System/etc and look for apns-conf.xml. Delete the one that is there, and copy the new one into the same place.

Wait, you are not finished.

After you copy, you have to make sure it has the same permissions as the other files in the same folder.

Long Press a file, select permissions. Then long press the APNs-conf file, select permissions, and change to match the other one you checked.

Then reboot tablet.

There were 4 listings for the old "vivatel", so I changed each one to reflect "vivacom". Use which ever one works.

Hope this fixed it. If it does, I will add it in the next build.

MD

Attachments

• apns-conf.zip
    27.7 KB · Views: 8

chmp

Feb 15, 2010
Sofia
Moscow Desire, Thanks for the quick response.
I edited apns-conf.xml file after the installation of the ROM.
But you helped all subscribers of VIVACOM.
And I will thank you on behalf of all subscribers VIVAVOM.

Maybe re-do the changes between two shifts of diapers :D
Regard

Last edited:

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
Moscow Desire, Thanks for the quick response.
I edited apns-conf.xml file after the installation of the ROM.
But you helped all subscribers of VIVACOM.
And I will thank you on behalf of all subscribers VIVAVOM.

Maybe re-do the changes between two shifts of diapers :D
Regard

Great!

I'll add it into the next build. Probably today. Then I think I'll relax for a few weeks and see how the build goes. Still waiting info from another user with an APN issue. Waiting for info from his provider.

Yeah, having to stop-and-go with baby duty, results in me missing things sometimes ;) (otherwise I would have caught the icon thing with the battery mod. ICS is picky when doing a systemui change, usually requires a full install)

But this next build will hopefully be the last for awhile. We shall see. Hopefully just can install "over the top" without doing wipes. I'll test it out. (never have a lot of faith in "over the top" ;)

MD

imaulana

Sep 9, 2009
Ciputat
SOD

Hello again,MD.
Yesterday, i still got SOD. About 4-5 times.
And then i re-installed your ROM, still got SOD.
i try install wakelock (just a blind try), and i got no SOD until now. i don't know is it related or not.
will report again if i still got SOD.

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
Hello again,MD.
Yesterday, i still got SOD. About 4-5 times.
And then i re-installed your ROM, still got SOD.
i try install wakelock (just a blind try), and i got no SOD until now. i don't know is it related or not.
will report again if i still got SOD.

Yeah, wakelok will fix it, but you pay in battery life.

Were you running on 3g only when they happened?

Info, will post a new build in about an hour (1.4). Will be the last for sometime until Acer dumps a new rom.

Changes;
Added systemUI mod
Added EC power management (might help a little)
Added some APN for Bulgaria Vivacom
Added Ad-Hoc support

ultramag69

Nov 6, 2007
Waratah
Still running Alexandra V 1.3 - no sod as yet. Runs fine. No wifi/3G dropouts..
Have had an occasion where screen decided to flicker, reset for that. Was still working though and only the once.
Haven't updated to the newer builds because my internet is doing freaky things - I still don't think it should take over a day to download a few hundred Mbs when a week ago I could get in a few hours.... Bloody rain.... :mad::(

Rom fine though...:D

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
Still running Alexandra V 1.3 - no sod as yet. Runs fine. No wifi/3G dropouts..
Have had an occasion where screen decided to flicker, reset for that. Was still working though and only the once.
Haven't updated to the newer builds because my internet is doing freaky things - I still don't think it should take over a day to download a few hundred Mbs when a week ago I could get in a few hours.... Bloody rain.... :mad::(

Rom fine though...:D

Great. I had 2 this week, both running 3g for extended periods. Other than that, seems to behave itself.

Couple of folks though had some issues. Hope the EC change helps a little. We shall see.

Also, I am puzzled why it happens a lot on some tabs, but not all. Only thing I can think of, is either different revisions of hardware (a501 is known to use 3 different radios) or maybe network providers.

Internet could always use some help ;) That's what you get for living on the wrong side of the planet! :D:D:D:D

MD

imaulana

Sep 9, 2009
Ciputat
Yeah, wakelok will fix it, but you pay in battery life.

Were you running on 3g only when they happened?

Info, will post a new build in about an hour (1.4). Will be the last for sometime until Acer dumps a new rom.

Changes;
Added systemUI mod
Added EC power management (might help a little)
Added some APN for Bulgaria Vivacom
Added Ad-Hoc support

I run my A501 on Automatic 2G and 3G.
Still got no SOD since i installed Wakelock, but of course my battery runs out quickly, that's fine for me.

One question: since i already installed the 1.3a and battery mod, do i have to reinstalled all the way from scratch or just install the "Alternative-R..-Ad-Hoc-wifi-patch.zip" via CWM?

Thanks for the answer, MD.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    A501 Evil Alex Unleashed ICS ver 4.0.3 Ver 2

For current Acer Test Builds and Kernels GO HERE. Current test build/Kernel: ezT20-v1.0.1 by EZTerry OC/UV 1.5ghz

NO MORE WAKELOCK!
    *On Most Devices. Still effects 1 or 2 users

Evil Alex II patches located at end of this post.
    Currently Patch 1. Should fix users with Google Contacts Synch Issues.

Acer_AV041_A501_1.021.00_WW_GEN1 ICS 4.0.3

This is the Official Release Build it seems. Same build as initial OTA.

Please note. I have tested most of the ROM, but not 100%. Nobody can. Testing on Odexed version went well with only a couple minor things. So if you have an issue, please post it, along with a LOGCAT.

home.png

ring2.png

Rom uses the Tweaked acer kernel 2.6.39.4+. Please see POST INSTALLATION procedures for Full System R/W access.

WARNING: You MUST have the hacked ICS Bootloader VER 3 or higher. Steps for installing unlocked ICS Bootloaders can be found in Civato's Bootloader and Recovery Guide

Do not install this ROM if you are on HC bootloader. If you don't know which bootloader version you have, download AcerRecoveryInstaller and run it. It will tell you. Also remember, once you go to ICS Bootloader, you can no longer run HC roms unless you go back to the HC Bootloader

PRO TIP: Copy the Evil Alex Unleashed rom to your EXT SD card first, before messing with bootloaders. Also, you must use an ICS compatible Custom Recovery which is mentioned in the same thread

Please direct all NVFlash bootloader install issues to the bootloader thread. Do not post them here.

To get the full features, and avoid issues, you MUST be on the Bootloader Version 3 or higher!!!

First off, a big THANKS to the following:
    Galapagos1 - For the update dump
    Vache - For his info
    Drellisdee & Skrilax_CZ - Work with ICS Bootloader
    EZTerry - For your previous help and OC Kernels.
    Civato - for guidance in getting Ring and Print running, and tips/images, and Kernels. I owe him a lot with modding roms. Without his assistance, I probably would be lost.
    And the rest of the people who got these leaks running when they were first introduced.

And I want to thank everyboy who tested the TEST Rom, and reported back. I appreciate your help. You all know who you are, and you are ACES in my book. Thank You Very Much.

Change list at end of post.

What doesn't work.
    It seems Acer broke the SMS. You can send, but not receive SMS. This has only effected a few devices.
    UPDATE: My sms started working properly last week. Go figure.

Features:
    SystemUI Mods
    Acer Ring
    Acer Print
    Custom Nav Buttons @55Pegasus
    Fully Deodexed
    Zip Aligned
    Full /System R-W
    Ad-Hoc support
    Tweaked kernel @Civato
    -Increased IO
    -GPS Mods
    -Init.d support
    -/System R/W

Language Support:

English, Bahasa Indonesia, Cestina, Dansk, Deutsch, Espanol, Francais, Italiano, Magyar, Nederlands, Norsk bokmal, Polski, Portugues (Brasil, Portugal), Romania, Russian, Suomi, Svenska, Turkish, Ukranian (dialects unknown- Arabic, Asian)

Apps Removed:

FDUpdater
    FDUpdateService
    AcerNidus
    ApInApp
    Hero of Sparta (stock Acer game and not allowed to be re-distributed)
    Lets Golf (Stock Acer Game and not allowed to be re-distributed)
    Other Acer stuff.

To Install:

Boot to CWM recovery
    a. Wipe User Data
    b. Wipe Cache
    c. Wipe Dalvik Cache
    d. Wipe Battery Stats

Go to Mounts and Storage

a. Format System
    b. Format Flexrom

Go back to Install Zip from SD

Select Evil Alex Unleashed zip

Install and reboot when finished.

Note: please give the tablet a few minutes to settle after initial start. This allows it to build it's Dalvik Cache. You may not see the Acer Ring button at first. Allow a minute.

Do your RECOVERY BACK-UP

POST INSTALLATION NOTES. IMPORTANT!!!!

- Turn USB Debugging ON in Settings/Development.

- For Full Root /System R/W access, open your file manager and set /system to R/W. It's painless.

- If you install any other mods, DO NOT wipe your Dalvik Cache. This may cause the Acer Ring to not function properly, resulting in re-installation of the ROM.

- Volume. Notice that you now have 2 volume controls because of Acer Ring. If you do not have initial volume, please check the Acer Ring volume.

- Acer Print. This has not been tested, as I lack a compatible printer.

- Ad-Hoc should work. If not, try alternative patch at end of post.

- Titanium Back-Up users. I do not use this app, so results may not work correctly with ICS and HC Apps. Do not restore Data from TB, and expect me to support it. TB only really works, when you reinstall the exact same rom.

- Reporting Issues: If you get a FC on an Installed App that comes with the ROM, I may be able to help.

- Games. I cannot promise all games will work. Nobody can. The best way, is to download the game fresh before installing any other apps.

- Phone Apps. Don't even bother reporting it.

- ROM Manager... see above ^

Thanks and hope you enjoy it!

DOWNLOAD
    Test Builds/Kernels 10/08/2012

Open Testing

EZTerry ezT20-v1.0.1 Kernel for a501 ONLY
    75728d09deda8b1f1f42346ca8ad59b6 *ezT20-v1.0.1-pre1_S.zip

ICS Only

*** 1.5ghz OC
    *** UV control
    *** Full Sys RW
    *** GPS Tweak
    *** IO Tweak
    *** BFG IO Scheduler
    *** lulzactive CPU Controller

For installation, Flash via CWM, Public Recovery.
    Download a CPU app from the Market. I use System Tuner, but any should work.

Note: This is a TEST kernel. Battery life doesn't seem to be the best, but could be because of Google Now (GPS/Wifi running)

I shouldn't have to say this, but make sure you do a recovery backup before flashing.

DOWNLOAD

Kernel Source

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Acer_AV041_A501_1.021.00_WW_GEN1 ICS 4.0.3

Rom based on latest Acer leaked update.

Note: With this ROM you need to run Zero-Null's root after installation. Set your USB Debugging to on. Ignore the errors just let it finish rooting., Then use Root Explorer or File Manager HD to set the /System to R/W.

Thanks to:
    Galapagos1-System Dump
    EZTerry - Custom Busybox install

Details;
    Full Origin ODEX
    Newest Busybox
    Includes ALL Acer Bloatware

Things to specifically watch for;
    3g for dropping
    SOD
    Battery Life

Installation is the same with my other roms. If you don't know how to install a rom, please see the instructions in the Original Post. Example: Wipes and Formats

You must be on the unlocked ICS Bootloader for this rom to function properly

DOWNLOAD

Enjoy!!!! Remember, this is a STOCK ODEXED Acer build. I am not responsible if games and restored data do not function well. Although I did add the latest Busybox and custom install. Also, I used slight compression in the zip, as Acer seems to want to overbloat the rom where I can't find a server to upload. But it installs fine on my tab.
    Take your time Mr. MD, Wife and children first :) We can wait, Euro opening games are waiting us ;)

Do u like football MD, If Yes, Go Russian Bear :) If Not, Go Russian Bear again :p

Ehhhh.... Go Portugal (I like the smaller countries) :D:D:D

Update. Deodex good. Problems with acer print and ring. Signing issue. Really don't want to deal with it again ;)

Few things and I'll post a beta and PM you guys on the "unofficial" beta testers.
    Hello MD, would you mind to upload a smaller update file to your future release (not the whole packages)? because 400 megs is a "big" file for some user.

Just uploaded a patch on the OP and also this post.

Patch should fix some issue with Play Store downloads and Network Provider issues. Will post a new updated rom later.

It should update to ver 3d.
    Hey is there a fix to get my gsp working, it's not linking at all.
    ???

Sent you a PM already Mate.

Info for any having GPS issues with not locking.

In the past 3 or 4 days, I noticed GPS was no longer getting locks on Sat's. WTH????

Of course I mess with different kernels, so figured maybe had some bad kernel files leftover. Did a fresh re-install. Got some locks (3 of 11)

Yesterday, GPS wouldn't lock so I installed Civato's tweaked kernel and all worked. Today, no GPS locks (tab was on 24+hrs). Rebooted all is fine. Locks on 7 of 12 sats.

Just some info for you all.

MD