[Q] N7 OTA question

Search This thread

dragancla

Feb 2, 2011
Bucharest
OnePlus 7 Pro
Hey,

I bought my Nexus 7 FLO WiFi version 2 days ago with JB 4.3 and started working on it. Unlocked bootloader, flashed TWRP, rebooted and installed the OTA 4.4.2 update, then rooted it with ChainFire's auto-root batch script. Tried to enter recovery last night to flash the Qualcomm-optimized Dalvik & Bionic libraries and discovered that I've got official recovery back?! I mean, there's a dead Droid there instead of TWRP...

Anyway, I don't mind that much if I don't have a custom recovery installed (except for the fact that I can't nandbackup my tablet...and that I can't flash stuff on the whim) but that's only if I can still receive OTA updates.

So, my questions are:
1. How do I verify if I can (or can't) receive OTA updates?
2. What exactly breaks the ability to receive OTA updates (besides the obvious flashing of a different-than-stock ROM)?
3. If I reflash TWRP and some other customizations, will it screw me out of OTA updates?

Thanks!

Pandae

Dec 14, 2013
Most likely you can still get OTA updates. If memory serves, go to Settings, About, and System Updates for a manual check.

Certain tweaks, like the 720p camera mod for the original N7, won't prevent you from downloading an update, but it will prevent an update from being installed. Generally these are going to be system tweaks that the OTA update expects to remain unchanged. Having TWRP shouldn't affect your ability to download or install updates, but when there is a new update, my personal preference is to download the full ROM and flash it. I haven't had good experiences with OTA updates since 4.2.2 on my first-gen N7.

Reactions: dragancla

dragancla

Feb 2, 2011
Bucharest
OnePlus 7 Pro
Most likely you can still get OTA updates. If memory serves, go to Settings, About, and System Updates for a manual check.

Certain tweaks, like the 720p camera mod for the original N7, won't prevent you from downloading an update, but it will prevent an update from being installed. Generally these are going to be system tweaks that the OTA update expects to remain unchanged. Having TWRP shouldn't affect your ability to download or install updates, but when there is a new update, my personal preference is to download the full ROM and flash it. I haven't had good experiences with OTA updates since 4.2.2 on my first-gen N7.

Alright, download and flash the entire ROM I shall. But doesn't that increase my flash counter? Or is there any way to reset said counter?

Pandae

Dec 14, 2013
Alright, download and flash the entire ROM I shall. But doesn't that increase my flash counter? Or is there any way to reset said counter?

I've heard some Samsung devices have that, and that the new Note III can't have its counter reset. However, I've never heard that such a thing exists on either generation of the N7.

mhannigan

Jan 2, 2013
Providence

The flash counter is strictly a Samsung thing. There is no flash counter on either Nexus 7. In fact you can even lock the boot loader back to factory condition, although I can't think of a reason why anyone would need to.

Mike

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Reactions: dragancla

dragancla

Feb 2, 2011
Bucharest
OnePlus 7 Pro
The flash counter is strictly a Samsung thing. There is no flash counter on either Nexus 7. In fact you can even lock the boot loader back to factory condition, although I can't think of a reason why anyone would need to.

Mike

Some repair companies null the warranty if the device has the bootloader unlocked. But good to know that the flash counter doesn't exist! Thanks!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Mike