[Q] Dangers of overclocking the Sensation's GPU (Adreno 220)

Search This thread

Daemon_necis

May 12, 2008
Hey there,

I've read some threads about the dangers of overclocking an Android-device in general. I'm aware of these dangers.

But in my feeling overclocking the sensation is a little different.
Most custom roms set CPU-speed to 1500MHz each core, which is the native clock of the chipset (or am I'm wrong?). No problem so far.
But with tweaking the CPU often the GPU is overclocked, too.

Now the point: What are the dangers of overclocking the GPU?
Does it make sense to overclock just the CPU without the GPU? Is it possible?
What are your experiences with overclocking (e.g. with IsertCoin or RevolutionHD) the GPU?

Last edited:

Diydude

Oct 6, 2011
Redcar
What you have to remeber with regard to overclocking is that your not alone in doing it when you use one of the custom roms.

Many thousands of ppl are running overclocked handsets and the first things you see happening from overclocking to far is your handset not booting up or locking up well before you would do any physical damage to the handset i would say.

I have run my sensation at 1800 cpu speed and it started ok but locked up when doing one of the benchmark tools , i rebooted and reduced the speed a little but all running fine with no concerns with regard to overheating

Reactions: Daemon_necis

Diydude

Oct 6, 2011
Redcar
I dont know enough about the handset to say if there is or not i suspect there will be something , but have you ever tried to overclock a graphics card on a pc you get so far and it wont display or something like that so you reduce it.

Heat with any electronic component is i problem and overclocking something increases that heat, but when you get to a certain point your phone will lock freeze reboot etc usually before any damage is done.

If you have any concern about destroying your phone by overclocking the simple answere is that you dont overclock it .

Daemon_necis

May 12, 2008
[...]
If you have any concern about destroying your phone by overclocking the simple answere is that you dont overclock it .

Yes you're right of course, but i just want to get a feeling for this topic... i just try to decide if it's a good idea to use RevolutionHD, which is overclocked from the beginning.

And to get a feeling, I just asked about the risks, because the benefits are clear for me :p

Last edited:

Quakeworld

Sep 24, 2011
Purgatory
To answer your question, yes, the sensation comes with thermal protection that helps against overheating. If the device becomes to hot, it(in most cases) shuts itself down until it cools. The CPU in the sensation is underclocked when it's shipped at 1.2Ghz(1188), but the true spec of the CPU is actually 1.5Ghz(1536). HTC underclocks the CPU to 1.2 to save on battery consumption. I personally have ran my phone just fine at the 1.5Ghz setting, I've even pushed it up to 1.6Ghz(1620) and it ran fine with the exception it did get just a little hot, but nothing to worry me. That being said I've since underclocked my CPU to 1296 and all is well. And afterall, how fast do you really need your phone to be before you take it too far and fry the cpu?? The sensation is fast right out of the box and even faster when using a NO sense rom, such as cm7(my personal fav) :D

Side Note : The new sensation XE ships with the cpu at it's original clock speed of 1.5Ghz.. both sensations have the 'exact' same cpu.

In regards to your GPU question, I have mine set @ 300mhz and not 320. The sensations GPU comes clocked at 266.I've ran it @ 320 and it ran just fine.. for me it's more of a personal preference. My graphics look just fine clocked @ 300mhz.. Below is a quote about the chipset and the new one coming out.

"With Adreno 225 Qualcomm improves performance along two vectors, the first being clock speed. While Adreno 220 (used in the MSM8660) ran at 266MHz, Adreno 225 runs at 400MHz thanks to 28nm. Secondly, Qualcomm tells us Adreno 225 is accompanied by "significant driver improvements". Keeping in mind the sheer amount of compute potential of the Adreno 22x family, it only makes sense that driver improvements could unlock a lot of performance. Qualcomm expects the 225 to be 50% faster than the outgoing 220."

if this helped, give the thank you button a punch :D

p.s. I've ran both insertcoin & revolution HD and both ran fine.. I just really prefer no sense roms :)

Last edited:

rohit choudhary

Sep 22, 2012
mumbai
To answer your question, yes, the sensation comes with thermal protection that helps against overheating. If the device becomes to hot, it(in most cases) shuts itself down until it cools. The CPU in the sensation is underclocked when it's shipped at 1.2Ghz(1188), but the true spec of the CPU is actually 1.5Ghz(1536). HTC underclocks the CPU to 1.2 to save on battery consumption. I personally have ran my phone just fine at the 1.5Ghz setting, I've even pushed it up to 1.6Ghz(1620) and it ran fine with the exception it did get just a little hot, but nothing to worry me. That being said I've since underclocked my CPU to 1296 and all is well. And afterall, how fast do you really need your phone to be before you take it too far and fry the cpu?? The sensation is fast right out of the box and even faster when using a NO sense rom, such as cm7(my personal fav) :D

Side Note : The new sensation XE ships with the cpu at it's original clock speed of 1.5Ghz.. both sensations have the 'exact' same cpu.

In regards to your GPU question, I have mine set @ 300mhz and not 320. The sensations GPU comes clocked at 266.I've ran it @ 320 and it ran just fine.. for me it's more of a personal preference. My graphics look just fine clocked @ 300mhz.. Below is a quote about the chipset and the new one coming out.

"With Adreno 225 Qualcomm improves performance along two vectors, the first being clock speed. While Adreno 220 (used in the MSM8660) ran at 266MHz, Adreno 225 runs at 400MHz thanks to 28nm. Secondly, Qualcomm tells us Adreno 225 is accompanied by "significant driver improvements". Keeping in mind the sheer amount of compute potential of the Adreno 22x family, it only makes sense that driver improvements could unlock a lot of performance. Qualcomm expects the 225 to be 50% faster than the outgoing 220."

p.s. I've ran both insertcoin & revolution HD and both ran fine.. I just really prefer no sense roms :)

some sources say adreno 220 can be overclocked to 400mhz .... bdw how can i overclock ...is der a app like setcpu for it ?????

rzr86

May 21, 2012
Nafpaktos
some sources say adreno 220 can be overclocked to 400mhz .... bdw how can i overclock ...is der a app like setcpu for it ?????

a few time ago some other user reported the same thing about adreno 220
but i think it is too high that value and it is impossible for gpu to handle such a value
in order to overclock the gpu you have to flash another kernel

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

What you have to remeber with regard to overclocking is that your not alone in doing it when you use one of the custom roms.

Many thousands of ppl are running overclocked handsets and the first things you see happening from overclocking to far is your handset not booting up or locking up well before you would do any physical damage to the handset i would say.

I have run my sensation at 1800 cpu speed and it started ok but locked up when doing one of the benchmark tools , i rebooted and reduced the speed a little but all running fine with no concerns with regard to overheating