[APP] Windows Mobile SenseTimeTracker

Search This thread

zjxpot

Mar 4, 2009
Mayaro
OnePlus 6T
I'm using the app on the updated but original HTC ROM. But it did also work on the nonupdated.

The description of you exception shows me, that the problem has something to do with the localized date time format. What localizaion do you use. And I think you've got it allready running with another ROM. What localization do you have there?

What I totally do not understand, in my opinion there should not be thrown an exception, since serialization is done within a try/catch block. If there is an deserialization error, it should be catched and defaults should be used, which I have testet.
I am located in Trinidad & Tobago in the Caribbean, GTM-4 Atlantic on G10 rom which I am using now also on the rom that I got it working on.

HorstDCC

Jul 3, 2007
Dendermonde
2km.be
comparing it to TimeTTracker

You have to install the SQL Server Compact manually, sorry.
See my explanation in CodePlex.

Just as a suggestion: why not create an issue for this on CodePlex so that a new user can troubleshoot this him/herself?

BTW: I was unable to find the explanation you refer to. That is not really a problem since the SQL *.cab's are just a google away.

On the interface itself: wow! Nicely done.
I've been a user of TimeTTracker for years on the PC and on my HD2. This looks much better and feels much easier. I'll continue testing it.

Import
It would be nice to have the option to import users, categories, clients, holidays for a fresh start.
Taking into account the quality of this application, you've made this for the professional who knows how to prepare these lists/records in an XML or CSV format.

Sync
At the moment I'm syncronising with TimeTTracker since I don't register all activities on my phone. This is actually quite handy.
So because I'm enthousiastic about your app I'm wondering how I could get the same effect. I can organise my self to suite this, but the my HD2 would mainly be for registring and I would need a desktop application for digesting and client-ready/invoice-ready reporting.

If you would consider validated import, syncronisation might also be a nice feature. Maybe replication on the desktop of the SQL tables is an option?

contuining testing,

HorstDCC

Jul 3, 2007
Dendermonde
2km.be
feedback on v1.3

while testdriving:

-in the Projects tab there is a typo "nummbr"
-since the number field of the project (or of tasks) actually accepts an alphanumeric code, might 'code' or 'reference' not be a better label?
-the estimated time in tasks ... it would be nice to be able to type the number of units
-the color button in task does not have any visual effect; no choice is presented, no apparent change is effected
-on users: how do I register activities per user? Neither tasks, nor Time Cards offers user selection

best regards,

wesch00

Mar 3, 2010
Berlin
Thanks for your interest.

The explanation how to install SQL server you will find, if you go to download and then select version 1.1. Here is the direct link

Import sounds good. But export is for exporting the time cards, not the users etc.
Importing time cards is not very usefull, since the Ids are not populated and the names for client, project and tasks are not unique. So I cannot determine them. If I'd provide an import for client, project, category or task, then I have to ensure doulble imports. Again there is no way to determine duplicate entries, since the names are not unique. If you have some suggestion, I can implement this. For me there haven't been any needs therefor.

Replication was an idea, but I do not have a desktop application therefor. If you can provide me with some info aboue TimeTTracker, may be it is possible to sync with this.

According the issues.
The typo will be fixed, thx.
The "number" fields are historic. First they have been numbers then for some needs there were the necessity for alhpanumerics. I will think about a better name.
The "color" button is a preparation for a new feature. Unfortunatly the SenseUI project on which the UI is based, is open, but without source code. And the developer doesn't respond to our feature requests. So I have no chance to add the color feature currently. The same is for task estimation. The numbers entered are limited to 99 ;-(

A "unit" for task estimation I also was allreday thinking about, because I personally also do not know whether to enter days or hours. Currently they are entered in hours. It is very difficult to calculate estimation when having it in days but entering the time cards in hours, since a working day is not allways 8 hours a day. For the user you can enter the daily working hours date dependent, which is considered within the reports. I need something similar then for the estimation time. This seems to be too dificult to calculate.

The "User" is the person who enters the data. Clients, projects and tasks are user independent. If you enter a time card, then this time card is assigned to the current user. If you go tu "User" pane, create a second one and select this, then you won't see the formerly entered time cards, since they belong to a different user.

BTW, SenseTimeTracker supports localization. If you can provide me with a resource file or only some terms, I'll try to support other languages. I do only speak german, russian and englisch.

Last edited:

HorstDCC

Jul 3, 2007
Dendermonde
2km.be
Thanks for your interest.

The explanation how to install SQL server you will find, if you go to download and then select version 1.1. Here is the direct link
Ok. New users will find it helpfull. BTW an unprepared user will not searching for that info via an old download. Maybe an entry under documentation or issue(s) will be found more readily.

Import sounds good. But export is for exporting the time cards, not the users etc.
Importing time cards is not very usefull, since the Ids are not populated and the names for client, project and tasks are not unique. So I cannot determine them. If I'd provide an import for client, project, category or task, then I have to ensure doulble imports. Again there is no way to determine duplicate entries, since the names are not unique. If you have some suggestion, I can implement this. For me there haven't been any needs therefor.
Hm, I'll have to let this sink in a bit.
As a side note: my clients change names -at least the business units do. And they most definitely change billing codes during projects. So I often have to group entries. And no, the names I use are not unique either, but the I have unique (internal) codes.
A few years back we developped a complete timetracking solution for vtiger. So I'm familiar with all the angles.

Replication was an idea, but I do not have a desktop application therefor. If you can provide me with some info aboue TimeTTracker, may be it is possible to sync with this.

That is actually not difficult, but it is redundant since they have a mobile client that works well. (It not as good-looking as yours.)

According the issues.
The typo will be fixed, thx.
The "number" fields are historic. First they have been numbers then for some needs there were the necessity for alhpanumerics. I will think about a better name.
The "color" button is a preparation for a new feature. Unfortunatly the SenseUI project on which the UI is based, is open, but without source code. And the developer doesn't respond to our feature requests. So I have no chance to add the color feature currently. The same is for task estimation. The numbers entered are limited to 99 ;-(

A "unit" for task estimation I also was allreday thinking about, because I personally also do not know whether to enter days or hours. Currently they are entered in hours. It is very difficult to calculate estimation when having it in days but entering the time cards in hours, since a working day is not allways 8 hours a day. For the user you can enter the daily working hours date dependent, which is considered within the reports. I need something similar then for the estimation time. This seems to be too dificult to calculate.
Based on previous experience I would use unnamed units and use them as if the represent 15' blocks. 8h would then correspond with 32 'units'. And a single task could then span a 24h calendar day, permitting a small overlap.
In the vtiger project this was actually enforced even though we had actual time units with rounding to 1/100 of a second. Humans worked better with the 15' blocks. Machines and other resources were booked/billed with the same schedule. The rounding errors, though seemingly large, balanced out fairly.

The "User" is the person who enters the data. Clients, projects and tasks are user independent. If you enter a time card, then this time card is assigned to the current user. If you go tu "User" pane, create a second one and select this, then you won't see the formerly entered time cards, since they belong to a different user.
Hm, why would I hand my phone to a second user? Ah, it is for the schizophrenic user :). Seriously, the interface doesn give a clue as to which user is the active user. And the app only knows one active user at a time. This might be more confusing than suspected.

BTW, SenseTimeTracker supports localization. If you can provide me with a resource file or only some terms, I'll try to support other languages. I do only speak german, russian and englisch.
I'll gladly help with a Dutch and French version to complete the set. Could we reverse you request? Could you provide me with a resource file that I can simply translate?

best regards,

wesch00

Mar 3, 2010
Berlin
Long answer to read, thx.

Ok. New users will find it helpfull. BTW an unprepared user will not searching for that info via an old download. Maybe an entry under documentation or issue(s) will be found more readily.
Under "Prerequisits" there is allready described where you can find the istallation instruction. I was to lazy to copy it to all versions.

As a side note: my clients change names -at least the business units do. And they most definitely change billing codes during projects. So I often have to group entries.
May be I do not understand your needs. You can change names and "codes" as you want. Internally all entries are referenced by Ids. My problem was for import. If you import client "Meyer" today and tomorrow? Is that the same client or a new one? If I'd provide an import, then you have to write the xml for excample. I only see benefits if you will provide this import to several colleges having the same dataset. Is that what you meant?

Based on previous experience I would use unnamed units and use them as if the represent 15' blocks...
I got your point. My first intention was to enter not only full hours but realy TimeSpans (Minutes and second also). On the formerly WinForm-UI this was allready possible. The database uses timespans. Unfortunatly of a missing control in the SenseUI-SDK I cannot provide such a possibility. I'll see if there is a workaround.

Hm, why would I hand my phone to a second user?...
Dealing with "Users" is only for the ability to replacte the database with a common repositiory and to separate the records for the same client, project and task. You should not change the user on the mobile, but I need the info about the user in the reporitory.

Could you provide me with a resource file that I can simply translate?
On CodePlex under SourceCode and the ChangeSet you will find the overview of the project. At directory SenseTimeTracker/SenseTimeTracker/Properties you'll find the Resources.resx file which is the default/english version. This is an XML-File containing all localized strings. In Visual Studio you have a convinient editor therefor but not necessary. Is that enough for you?

HorstDCC

Jul 3, 2007
Dendermonde
2km.be
First draft of the Dutch Resource file attached.

Please note that there are differences between idioms in the Netherlands versus Belgium. A second revision should smooth these out.
Also, some of the holidays do not have Dutch or Belgian equivalents.

French will follow.

NB: I did not find a way to select a language from within the interface. That might be handy. If the app follows the language of the ROM that also seems fine. If it follows regional settings -as unforunately some windows applications do- an override would be handy.
For longer projects me (and some of my colleagues) tend to adapt regional settings to the actual region where we are at, while all continuing to use our own languages.

Attachments

• Resource.nl.rar
    4.5 KB · Views: 7

ascertainer

Apr 25, 2010
malfunction (?)

hi,

the app won't work on my htc hd2. following the error message:

SenseTimeTracker.exe
MissingMethodException
Datei- oder Assemblyname 'System.Data.SqlServerCe, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=3BE235DF1C8D2AD3' bzw. eine Abhängigkeit davon wurde nicht gefunden.

bei SenseTimeTracker.Misc.Persistance.Deserialize()
bei SenseTimeTracker.Misc.Persistance.get_Instance()
bei SenseTimeTracker.Main.SenseTimeTrackerForm.CheckValidUser()
bei SenseTimeTracker.Main.SenseTimeTrackerForm..ctor()
bei SenseTimeTracker.Program.Main(String[] args)

ascertainer

Apr 25, 2010
the sql server is already installed because of other programs which need it. a reinstallation via active sync changes nothing...

Sven424

Oct 21, 2009
Hi,

exactly the same issue here on my German HD2 Stock ROM and with fresh installed SQL-CE (yes like described on).

Perhaps a problem with the German ROM?

bye
Sven

wesch00

Mar 3, 2010
Berlin
No, there is no problem with the german ROM. I'm from germany and have a german ROM too.

A "NotSupportedMethod" exception in SQL-CE server has nothing to do with a localized ROM. As decribed, a allready insatlled SQLCE is used. Could it be an old version? May be a feature I use is not supported? Can you try to remove the installed SQLCE and install the one I recommend in CodePlex.

Next idea i have, what deviec you use? Is it armv4 based? May be you ave SQLCE compiled for another processor having this problem.

And one more idea. I have installed on my device
* SQLServerCompact 3.5 Core
* SQLServerCompact 3.5 Repl and
* SQLServerCompact 3.5 Tools EN

Repl is not needed. But may be Tools are needed, since the database repositiory is created during the start of the application. In that phase the database is created using a DatabaseManager instance. I currently do not know, if this is part of the tools or the core. Can you plz try it and let me know?

I looked into my installations, the Tools EN are also not needed.

But there is an article on the web according this error. It seems you do not have service pack 1 installed. Give this plz a try.

Where are you located in germany? May be we can personal meet us and I can try to debug or I contact you via voice and we can discuss this.

Last edited:

wesch00

Mar 3, 2010
Berlin
@HorstDCC

I currently did not try your dutch resource. But have a question about globalization.

You can change the culture of your device in the setting. If you do this, the the language for SenseTimeTracker changes. is this sufficiant? Or do you need to change the language from within the app haveing there a nother language then on the device?

dewagter

Sep 21, 2010
Backup / Data

I was wondering: where is the data actually stored and can it be backed-up and replaced in case of trouble or when installing a new ROM?

wesch00

Mar 3, 2010
Berlin
The program is installed in Program Files/SenseTimeTracker whether on the device or the storage card depending on your choice during installation.

The data is on My Documents/SenseTimeTracker/TimeTracker.sdf. This is done to be able to sync it with ActiveSync if you include that directory into file synchronization. It is sufficiant to save that file. It also would be good idea to back it up using ActiveSync. If you sync your mobile device with two different computers, then include that folder for synchronization only on one of them otherwise it can happen that you override you database with an older sync of the other computer.

In the program folder there is also an xml-file. There all the current settings (filters, last selected projects, last user a.s.o.) are stored. This file can be saved also but it is not necessary. When this file is deleted, corrupted or incompatible with a newer version, it is created again and preset with defaults. Only the last user has to be chosen and the password must be entered once again.

HorstDCC

Jul 3, 2007
Dendermonde
2km.be
@HorstDCC

I currently did not try your dutch resource. But have a question about globalization.

You can change the culture of your device in the setting. If you do this, the the language for SenseTimeTracker changes. is this sufficiant? Or do you need to change the language from within the app haveing there a nother language then on the device?

This is a matter of preference.

Jus as a reference:
- my ROMs are in English (I make sure of that), actually all of my operating systems are in English.
- I use regional settings for compatibility with spreadsheets, notes, field values (for instance decimal . or , has a huge impact)
[I set this to Dutch and then have to adpat the default dutch settings to international standards, so it's a mix, allways!]
- I've had apps on the pda as well as on my desktops that 'pick this up' and present themselves in the 'regional' language. (I do not like this.)

Personaly I prefer getting the choice on installation.
But an option or setting afterwards would also be adequate.

NB: I'm moving right now, so I'm a bit less active on these fora right now.

Ibomir

Mar 21, 2010
Very Nice work

Works very well on HD2 after installing SQL compact 3.5 manually.
I regret I can not import or use Outlook tasks.

wesch00

Mar 3, 2010
Berlin
I regret I can not import or use Outlook tasks.

Thx.

Yes, I also already thought about importing tasks from outlook.
But I do not have any idea how to assign them to projects and clients. Do you have?
For one task I could let the user assign it, nut not for a bunch of them.
Would it be useful if for every task to import the user will be asked?