[Q] New TN7 - what to do first: root or upgrade?

Search This thread

freeekbert

Aug 16, 2012
Hello guys,

my TN7 is nagging me to upgrade from 4.2.2 to 4.3 via OTA. I've read that with the upgrade the bootloader will be locked and if I tried to root afterwards a full wipe will be neccessary to unlock the bootloader.
So here's my question: if I root first and upgrade then will root access persist or do I have to suffer a full reset anyway? What would you suggest?

Any hints are appreciated!

asratxda

Jun 10, 2012
Mumbai
Hello guys,

my TN7 is nagging me to upgrade from 4.2.2 to 4.3 via OTA. I've read that with the upgrade the bootloader will be locked and if I tried to root afterwards a full wipe will be neccessary to unlock the bootloader.
So here's my question: if I root first and upgrade then will root access persist or do I have to suffer a full reset anyway? What would you suggest?

Any hints are appreciated!

I have not rooted my device but after you upgrade to 4.3, within 5-10 minutes it will ask you again to upgrade to 4.4.2. I think you should consider this also before rooting. ( I am having 4.4.2. )
What is the advantage of rooting TN7?

freeekbert

Aug 16, 2012
I have not rooted my device but after you upgrade to 4.3, within 5-10 minutes it will ask you again to upgrade to 4.4.2. I think you should consider this also before rooting.
Thanks for the info. Up to now I'm not a big fan of KitKat...
What is the advantage of rooting TN7?
All my Android devices are rooted, because in general I don't like the idea that there is a lot of potential hidden from the customer. For example if you want to make Nandroid backups you need root access. And I'm using Nandroids excessively ;)
Other apps like Tasker need root access to use their full potential.

So the question remains: will root stick through the upgrade(s) or not? And if it doesn't, what can I do make it persist?

Last edited:

tsbrewers

Mar 19, 2009
no, you will need to root after each update. So you might as well do the updates, then the root. many here are wishing they would have just stayed on 4.3 and not rooted (IMHO) The only thing I like about KK is the gamepad mapper.

Reactions: freeekbert

philje123

Dec 6, 2006
Paderborn
I did the two updates (4.3 and then 4.4.2) then I unlocked the boot loader and rooted using the tool as it supports the 4.4.3 update.

Was plain sailing and no problems.

Phil

Reactions: freeekbert

freeekbert

Aug 16, 2012
Thanks guys, so I'm going to root on current version to backup all apps and settings. Then I can do both updates and unlock the boot loader without worrying about data loss.
I'll give feedback how it went :thumbsup:

freeekbert

Aug 16, 2012
So, I promised to report back. Coming from Android 4.2.2 I did the following:
  1. Root like described in here:
    HTML:
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=47810386&postcount=1
    I used the Chinese method, but please be aware that this way there is strange software installed on your device.
  2. Then I grabbed Titanium Backup Pro and created a backup of all my installed apps. Those backups and important data from internal storage were pushed to a remote FTP server, because I read that unlocking the boot loader also wipes sdcard0.
  3. Next step is installing all three OTA updates. Please be patient, because that this (especially the update to 4.4.2) may take some time.
  4. Unlock boot loader. CAUTION: ALL DATA WILL BE LOST! Follow the instructions of Super Tool:
    HTML:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2627654
  5. Flash ClockworkMod Recovery with Super Tool or manually via fastboot. I recommend Super Tool, because it's very handy to use.
  6. Boot to CWM and flash SuperSU.zip by Chainfire and you should be good to go. Now you can reinstall Titanium Backup and restore your previously backed up apps and data from your remote location!

I hope this could come in handy for someone! :cowboy:

asratxda

Jun 10, 2012
Mumbai
So, I promised to report back. Coming from Android 4.2.2 I did the following:
  1. Root like described in here:
    HTML:
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=47810386&postcount=1
    I used the Chinese method, but please be aware that this way there is strange software installed on your device.
  2. Then I grabbed Titanium Backup Pro and created a backup of all my installed apps. Those backups and important data from internal storage were pushed to a remote FTP server, because I read that unlocking the boot loader also wipes sdcard0.
  3. Next step is installing all three OTA updates. Please be patient, because that this (especially the update to 4.4.2) may take some time.
  4. Unlock boot loader. CAUTION: ALL DATA WILL BE LOST! Follow the instructions of Super Tool:
    HTML:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2627654
  5. Flash ClockworkMod Recovery with Super Tool or manually via fastboot. I recommend Super Tool, because it's very handy to use.
  6. Boot to CWM and flash SuperSU.zip by Chainfire and you should be good to go. Now you can reinstall Titanium Backup and restore your previously backed up apps and data from your remote location!

I hope this could come in handy for someone! :cowboy:

:good: GREAT!!!! you finally rooted your device!!! I just want to ask you, is it possible to flash "SuperSU.zip" from "STOCK recovery" after unlocking the bootloader? i.e
1) Unlock bootloader 2) Flash SuperSU.zip from stock recovery ; thats all, now your are rooted. ???
I am going to root , but after at least 3-4 month's of usage. In the past I had rooted LG O1, CUBE U9GT4, iBall Andi4.3a. I also love taking BKPs with TB, very useful for game progress.
Have you tried "viper4android audio mod" and "GLTools"(for maximizing graphics performance for any app)?

freeekbert

Aug 16, 2012
I just want to ask you, is it possible to flash "SuperSU.zip" from "STOCK recovery" after unlocking the bootloader? i.e
1) Unlock bootloader 2) Flash SuperSU.zip from stock recovery ; thats all, now your are rooted. ???
Nope, unfortunately it won't work this way, because the stock recovery system looks for a special signature which is not present in the zip file.

Have you tried "viper4android audio mod" and "GLTools"(for maximizing graphics performance for any app)?
Neither one of them. But this is possibly because I don't play games on my tablet usually ;)

I am going to root , but after at least 3-4 month's of usage.
Personally I'd do it as soon as possible, because you will lose all your saved data. So the earlier you root, the less you have to restore :cool:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    no, you will need to root after each update. So you might as well do the updates, then the root. many here are wishing they would have just stayed on 4.3 and not rooted (IMHO) The only thing I like about KK is the gamepad mapper.
    I did the two updates (4.3 and then 4.4.2) then I unlocked the boot loader and rooted using the tool as it supports the 4.4.3 update.

Was plain sailing and no problems.

Phil