Scammed on craigslist, need help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Red_Devil6

Jun 3, 2014
So here's the story, i bought a HTC one M8 AT&T version on CL. I had the phone for a few days during which time i have unlocked bootloader, rooted and S-Off the phone. Well the douche i bought the phone from must have reported it lost or stolen because its blacklisted. I've searched google and numerous forums regarding a solution so i can continue to use this phone on either the same carrier or another. IIf ANYONE has a legal solution that i can go with, PLEASE inbox me so im not stuck with a very expensive brick.

MOD EDIT

Last edited by a moderator:

Tower1972

Mar 13, 2008
Somewhere in Wisconsin
So here's the story, i bought a HTC one M8 AT&T version on CL. I had the phone for a few days during which time i have unlocked bootloader, rooted and S-Off the phone. Well the douche i bought the phone from must have reported it lost or stolen because its blacklisted. I've searched google and numerous forums regarding a solution so i can continue to use this phone on either the same carrier or another. IIf ANYONE has a legal solution that i can go with, PLEASE inbox me so im not stuck with a very expensive brick.

MOD EDIT

Well..do you have any sort of proof that you purchased this item from said person? If so, it might be wise to bring law enforcement into it. I am not an expert on this, nor do I know law, but if you provide them with proof of the sale, and explain to them what happened, they might..MIGHT, go after the person who screwed you over, and maybe you can recover your money. If you have no "receipt", then I dont know what to tell ya, except for you might have just learned a very expensive lesson. There is also a strong possibility that the phone itself was stolen, and sold to you by said scumbag.

Another reason I do not deal with Craigslist!

Reactions: lostangelintx

twiggums

Oct 6, 2007
It was likely stolen. Try working with the seller to get it resolved, but if he was the thief you might be SOL.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

JoSway

Nov 1, 2013
So here's the story, i bought a HTC one M8 AT&T version on CL. I had the phone for a few days during which time i have unlocked bootloader, rooted and S-Off the phone. Well the douche i bought the phone from must have reported it lost or stolen because its blacklisted. I've searched google and numerous forums regarding a solution so i can continue to use this phone on either the same carrier or another. I know most here wont engage in this discussion in detail as it violates forum policy, BUT if ANYONE has a legit solution that i can go with PLEASE inbox me so im not stuck with a very expensive brick.

You gotta call AT&T Customer Service from another phone, you'll get the automated service...
enter your phone number, they'll ask if your calling about your suspended line, or something of that sort... dial whatever for yes, then they'll ask if you want to re activate the sim for the original device, again dial whatever for yes, then they'll redirect you to an operator, when the phone starts ringing just hang up... then turn airplane mode on then off, and it should start working again.

Happened to me with the M7, it was reported stolen... so i had to go through this procedure 2,3,4 times a day, sometimes it would stay connected for weeks if i got lucky. But yea, that was my solution, hopefully it works for your M8, and if it does then it probably works for any phone thats blacklisted on AT&T... i wonder if anyone knows about this:confused:

CraigP17

Mar 8, 2006
PA
just joined. claims they bought the phone. asking about how to bypass the IMEI being reported stolen...

im going out on a limb here and assuming this guy is the thief and is hoping to still use the phone after the real owner reported it stolen.

Reactions: Driggity420

rquinn19

Feb 10, 2007
Phila
just joined. claims they bought the phone. asking about how to bypass the IMEI being reported stolen...

im going out on a limb here and assuming this guy is the thief and is hoping to still use the phone after the real owner reported it stolen.

That's not a fair assumption. I alot of people lurk until they need to ask a question.

edit: you post on an average of 7 posts a year since you joined so I'd think you'd understand

Tower1972

Mar 13, 2008
Somewhere in Wisconsin
That's not a fair assumption. I alot of people lurk until they need to ask a question.

edit: you post on an average of 7 posts a year since you joined so I'd think you'd understand

100% agree. Hell ive been around here since 2008 and I have a low post count lol.. Guess im not one of those who chime in..just to chime in lol. I ask questions...answer when I can (which is rarely), and lurk quite abit lol. Regardless, I wont buy anything off Craigslist, heard too many bad stories from people I know in person...Either use Ebay or Swappa. The only thing is, the IMEI could be clean when the initial check is made, then reported stolen after (does swappa check on a regular basis or is it one and done...hrm)

Last edited:

rquinn19

Feb 10, 2007
Phila
100% agree. Hell ive been around here since 2008 and I have a low post count lol.. Guess im not one of those who chime in..just to chime in lol. I ask questions...answer when I can (which is rarely), and lurk quite abit lol. Regardless, I wont buy anything off Craigslist, heard too many bad stories from people I know in person...Either use Ebay or Swappa. The only thing is, the IMEI could be clean when the initial check is made, then reported stolen after (does swappa check on a regular basis or is it one and done...hrm)

I don't think there's any sure fire safe way anymore. With lost/stolen and now the next program.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Skizzy034

Mar 10, 2010
Amsterdam, NY
www.facebook.com
I don't know how well this would work out for me if I was in that situation, but I was burned on CL before. Lost $900. So now, if I'm not totally sure about the seller, I'll ask for a driver's license picture along with a signature on a written receipt.

Sent from my VK810 4G using XDA Free mobile app

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
Its unfortunate the OP got scammed. But just my opinion, the risks of buying something like a smartphone from Craigslist outweigh the benefits. Not just risk of a blacklist, but damage to the item, or just a hardware failure that is no fault of the seller. I prefer to buy from a source with a reliable means of return and refund/exchange, even if its cost a bit more. And if its more than a "bit" of a difference, as they say: if a deal seems too good to be true, its because it is.

MOD EDIT

gokun

Apr 3, 2008
Its unfortunate the OP got scammed. But just my opinion, the risks of buying something like a smartphone from Craigslist outweigh the benefits. Not just risk of a blacklist, but damage to the item, or just a hardware failure that is no fault of the seller. I prefer to buy from a source with a reliable means of return and refund/exchange, even if its cost a bit more. And if its more than a "bit" of a difference, as they say: if a deal seems too good to be true, its because it is.

Yeah, I stick with ebay/paypal for buying used phones for that very reason...if something is wrong I have a means by which to get my money back. And even there you still have to exercise some due diligence.

Neo

Moderator Emeritus / The One - ΠΣΘ
Aug 4, 2011
The Matrix
Thread Closed.

While there is nothing wrong with asking for a legal and legitimate means to getting a phone to work again who's IMEI has been blacklisted, it opens up discussion for alternate illegal means to getting the device to work.

My suggestion to you is to contact the Service Provided that has blacklisted the device's IMEI and notify them that you'd purchased it on-line, and try to convince them to allow you to use it on their network under your currently paying service.

The chances that they will do this for you however are very slim.
Best of luck,

Neo
Forum Moderator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

MOD EDIT

Well..do you have any sort of proof that you purchased this item from said person? If so, it might be wise to bring law enforcement into it. I am not an expert on this, nor do I know law, but if you provide them with proof of the sale, and explain to them what happened, they might..MIGHT, go after the person who screwed you over, and maybe you can recover your money. If you have no "receipt", then I dont know what to tell ya, except for you might have just learned a very expensive lesson. There is also a strong possibility that the phone itself was stolen, and sold to you by said scumbag.

Another reason I do not deal with Craigslist!