[ROM/DISCONTINUED] ParanoidAndroid 1.5a for Vision — version 0.5 beta (09-Aug-2012)

Search This thread

blackchad

Oct 23, 2010
Just got my old g2 back when my other phone broke and it'd be nice to see an updated PA. Thanks devs

D

Deleted member 3460310

Just downloaded rom on my gf's g2 and so far she loves it. Great rom now I am going to get it one my s2

Xardejn

Oct 3, 2009
Toruń
How about porting/updating to 4.2 or 4.1 ? It would be great to try out tablet mode on jelly bean.

Sent from my HTC Vision using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So this is my very first attempt in ROM porting.
    paranoid.png

paranoid_notab.png

Some of you may have heard of tablet mode and if you have tried it you know well that it smashes your phone. Apps are small, their layout is screwed, things overlap, crash or stop working, Google Play forbids you to download, if you tried AOKP you cant even use launcher and phone. In short, it is a mess.

PARANOIDANDROID changed that. It does not "heal" tablet mode, it obliterates the boundaries. You define how big or small apps are, you define in which UI they display, no matter if your phone runs in tablet or phone mode, which also you can define. Customize every single entity on your phone, lockscreen, navigationbar, system-components, widgets, apps. If you prefer stay with your three bearpaw buttons + drop-down curtain or switch to a combined navigationbar + drop-up notificationcenter, enjoy Youtube in 3D, Gmail and settings in 2-columns, Chrome in its better mobile UI, etc. Nothing overlaps, nothing crashes, everything works as you'd expect. This is completely new ground and has never been realized before, it is lightyears from tablet mode.

paranoid_instructions.png

Install ROM: http://d-h.st/ufK
    Install Google Apps: http://d-h.st/wCo (and only these! other GApps will have Play Store broken in tablet mode!)
    Wipe caches, factory reset is a must if you're coming from another rom than CM9

paranoid_trouble.png
    • If automatic brightness is disabled, button backlight doesn't turn on after Power button is pressed
    Maybe something else, you tell me​

paranoid_credits.png

I used jerl92's CM9 build as a base, HWComposer libraries and kernel from Andromadus Mimicry (these made this ROM insanely fast) and hdorius' DHD port. Sorry for being a "winzip dev", as I'm yet a complete noob in Android development :)

Thanks to:
    • ahjavery for his ROM porting guide
    • blk_jack and the whole Andromadus team for their great work
    • D4rKn3sSyS and molesarecoming for such a great ROM
    • Xylograph for his tips and porting help
    paranoid_screenshots.png

Paranoid1.png
    Paranoid2.png
    Paranoid3.png

Paranoid4.png
    Paranoid5.png

paranoid_changelog.png

Version 0.5 beta (09-Aug-2012)
    • Terminal Emulator, Gallery and LatinIME FCs/UI bugs fixed.
    • GApps removed. Use a separate package to install them.
    • Default UI is changed to "Phone mode (optimized)".
    • Button backlight bug not fixed yet.

Version 0 beta (30-Jul-2012)
    • Keyboard bug fixed
    • Removed apps: Adobe Flash Player, Apex & Nova Launchers, Dropbox, ES File Explorer, ROM Manager. Google Apps left, but probably will be removed later.
    • Improved automatic brightness accuracy
    • Dual-band Wi-Fi support enabled
    • adb remount error fixed
    • UI lagging is gone — now using kernel and libs from Andromadus (hope blk_jack won't kill me for that)
    ... can I call this a beta now? :)

Version 0 alpha (21-Jul-2012)
    First public release.​

paranoid_bepart.png
    Anyone want me to try and pick this up?

Sent from my HTC Vision using xda app-developers app
    By the way I went ahead and made the pDroid patch for this release (1.5) of ParanoidAndroid for Vision. I had to use the 20120706 rom date in order to get the patch to work.

Patch Log (you can use the same command to just patch it yourself)
    Code:
    ./auto_patcher PARANOIDANDROID.zip pdroid cm9 20120706
    ### verify tools ###
    ### verify ROM ###
    ### unzip patch tools ###
    ### unzip patch patches ###
    ### unzip rom ###
     inflated: system/framework/core.jar
     inflated: system/framework/framework.jar
     inflated: system/framework/services.jar
    ### create updater script ###
     inflated: META-INF/com/google/android/update-binary
     inflated: META-INF/com/google/android/updater-script
    ### using Clockworkmod installer ###
    ### create restore.zip ###
    ### decompile framework.jar ###
    ... extract preloaded-classes ...
    ### decompile core.jar ###
    ### decompile services.jar ###
    ### patch pdroid/cm9/20120706 ###
    ### apply framework.patch ###
    Reversed (or previously applied) patch detected!  Skipping patch.
    38 out of 38 hunks ignored -- saving rejects to file smali/android/net/wifi/WifiConfigStore.smali.rej
    15 out of 15 hunks ignored -- saving rejects to file 'smali/com/android/internal/telephony/RIL$RILSender.smali.rej'
    4 out of 4 hunks ignored -- saving rejects to file 'smali/com/android/internal/telephony/sip/SipPhone$SipConnection.smali.rej'
    ... apply preloaded.patch ...
    ### apply core.patch ###
    ### apply services.patch ###
    ### rebuild framework.jar ###
    ### rebuild core.jar ###
    ### rebuild services.jar ###
    ### create updater.zip ###
    ### finished ###
    flash update.zip to install the modified
    flash restore.zip to restore the original

I've renamed it to paranoid_pdroid_on.zip and paranoid_pdroid_off.zip (off restores the 3 jar files back to the way it was in the original zip, and on puts the patched .jar files into the system to work with the pdroid app)

[Files moved to attachment]
    MD5 (paranoid_pdroid_off.zip) = 49d7bf9a2d2bdceb750d6dd95ac44705
    MD5 (paranoid_pdroid_on.zip) = 0fd1764ee447424e67c1f96e39d68072

You can grab the pDroid app (free) itself from the market place (but it won't work until you patch the system).

even though there's a restore/off patch make sure to do a nandroid backup just to be on the safe side

I installed the following via recovery:
    Paranoid Android 1.5 for Vision Rom
    paranoid_pdroid_on.zip (pDroid enabled patch)
    TitaniumBackup (So I could just quickly restore my pdroid app instead of signing up to google)

Then rebooted (love the boot animation by the way), and tried out pDroid. Screenshots attached.

So ya now can have more paranoia in your ParanoidAndroid :p
    Any plans for updates?
    Sure.
    I've been very busy last month (I've even been offline all this time if you noticed), and now it seems it's finally over.
    When I have some more free time, I'll get back to development (and maybe rebase this on JB if Flinny allows).
    I promise. :)