official ota update zip found here for Jelly Bean

Search This thread

ucf.elk

Oct 23, 2008
O-town
I can't seem to figure our the Error 7.

- I looked for any frozen apps - SysScope was frozen in TB but attempt to unfreeze didn't work
- I haven't flashed any mods
- On Stock recovery and removed root

Any other suggestions?

Should i just flash Freeza's full ROM? Or just wait for a rooted update zip?

Thanks again to you guys.

flyboyjr

Aug 30, 2010
Works great and still rooted!!!

I was on stock ICS and rooted.
First copy these 2 files to SD-Card "eec955eb4a5b.update_SPH-L710_LI3_to_LJ7.zip" and "TeamEpic-Root-from-Recovery-v5.zip".

To install and keep root:
1. Power off phone
2. Hold down power, up, and home until the screen flashes Samsung and release
3. Choose zip from SD card
4. Install this zip "eec955eb4a5b.update_SPH-L710_LI3_to_LJ7.zip" from CWM recovery.
5. Without rebooting Choose zip from SD-card
6. Install "TeamEpic-Root-from-Recovery-v5.zip".

Then I rebooted and I have root and JB.
Very easy upgrade and install. Did not lose anything. Right after boot up There was an update to Google Search for JB.

rjin9673

Dec 20, 2010
I was running stock rooted with CWM. I backed up through CWM. I flashed the update from CWM, then flashed TeamEpic-Root-from-Recovery-v5.zip. Worked like a charm. Now enjoying some delicious Butter! Thank you so much OP for the zip!

Dooginater

Oct 26, 2012
FYI, my experience...

I was rooted stock LI3 with CWM 5.5.0.4 installed... the clearing Google Services Framework trick finally worked and I got the OTA at about 2am this morning... I just let it download but didn't try to install it (knew it would fail)

I ran Voodoo OTA RootKeeper first to save root, then pulled the zip from cache, copied to SD card and rebooted to recovery... figured I'd try to install from CWM straight-up and it failed as expected (failed signature verification error)

I had a hunch so I rebooted and enabled everything I had disabled previously (via normal Android application manager)... thing is, and I'm 99% sure this was the key, I also had a few of them that I had to freeze (but not remove) via Titanium since they couldn't be disabled normally... I think the update script is smart enough to notice apps that were disabled that normally can't be and throw up due to it... so, I also went into TI and defrosted those few as well

Rebooted to CWM and installed from SD and the update worked fine... no data wiped or anything like that, everything as it should be but with JB goodness! Oh yeah, and RootKeeper did its thing perfectly, restored rooted afterwards no problem.

So now I just have to go disable all the "cruft" again and I'm good to go :)

Oops, just noticed though that it DID restore stock recovert... so not *quite* perfect I guess... but hey, easy enough to reinstall CWM so no biggie. Call me happy :)

When you say you enabled everything....what's everything? :confused:

Sneak8910

Jul 9, 2012
I am 100% stock, downloaded the .zip file, placed it on my SD card, went to bootloader, but when I go to 'apply update from external storage' it says "E:failed to mount /sdcard (invalid argument)".

I wasn't even arguing! So is my SD card the problem?

It's the stock bootloader, everything is stock. Not rooted either.

ucf.elk

Oct 23, 2008
O-town
Ok I think I found out my problem

I remember flashing the rooted LI3 update and modified LI3 Kernel. Unrooted now.

I am attempting to go back to a stock LI3 kernel but every time I flash in stock recovery I get a verification failure.

Any suggestions would be very helpful.

mc_gusto

Jul 9, 2011
Anyone know if this update keeps car dock functionality? The international versions of jellybean have been disabling car dock charging/audio out on all other s3s.

jericko

Dec 8, 2009
First copy these 2 files to SD-Card "eec955eb4a5b.update_SPH-L710_LI3_to_LJ7.zip" and "TeamEpic-Root-from-Recovery-v5.zip".

1. Power off phone
4. Install this zip "eec955eb4a5b.update_SPH-L710_LI3_to_LJ7.zip" from CWM recovery.

Very easy upgrade and install. Did not lose anything. Right after boot up There was an update to Google Search for JB.

So you did not unroot 1st? I am rooted running stock ICS with nothing modified, can I just follow your instructions to upgrade to JB with root or do I need to unroot 1st?

sponge14

Jul 12, 2007
I was rooted and went back to a stock rom. I was able to install some random OTA that I had previously been unable to install, due to the root. I have tried to install:
LG8 to LI3, LG2 to LG8, and LI3 to LJ7. All 3 of them fail.

On a side note, what are these LG8 numbers and where do I see which version I am?

ubigred

Feb 23, 2010
Houston
E:Error in /tmp/sideload/package.zip
(Status 7)

Installation aborted.

That's what I get when trying to update after rebooting. There is also a dead android with an exclamation point dead in the background.

Sent from my SGS3!

EggosEvo

Feb 8, 2011
Kansas City
So you did not unroot 1st? I am rooted running stock ICS with nothing modified, can I just follow your instructions to upgrade to JB with root or do I need to unroot 1st?

I followed his instructions and it did not work for me. I am using the same version of CWM as well. Although there is one app that shows as frozen that I never froze to begin with and it won't unfreeze.

Dooginater

Oct 26, 2012
I think it's my feature.xml doc. I modified it so my shutter sound menu would appear. I'll post results.

OMG I think that worked. It's installing as I type.

Here's what I did:

I removed the .bak off the shuttersound.ogg files.
I set the shutter sound back to false in the feature xml located in sytem/csc/feature.xml

Rebooted into CWM recovery and VOILA! It worked! No unrooting neccessary!

Last edited:

einstein562

Feb 8, 2012
That's what I thought, but I've placed the file in there both as the original filename and as update.zip. When I boot into stock recovery (turned my sgs3 off and held in power+home+volume up), my options are "apply update from external storage" and "apply update from cache". Neither of those work. What can I do? (selecting "apply update from external storage" results in "failed to mount /sdcard (no such file or directory)"

Thanks.

I am getting the same error when trying to flash from stock recovery. Phone is completely stock. I placed the file as is on the root of internal SD card, any suggestions?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here is a link to the official ota update to Jellybean

Here is a quick video from qbking on how to install. Special thanks go out to him.

Put together a video showing everyone how to manually update to 4.1.1 JB on their Sprint GS3.

Also have a download link there.

How to manually update:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dsoLJiz2fo

http://android.clients.google.com/p...0/eec955eb4a5b.update_SPH-L710_LI3_to_LJ7.zip

mirror
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/91127v6z0x7xu85/eec955eb4a5b.update_SPH-L710_LI3_to_LJ7.zip

Thought to post here easy for everyone to find..instead of being in the middle of a thread

Screenshot_2012-10-26-01-54-45.png

Screenshot_2012-10-26-05-58-15.png

Note: if using billards quick back to stock rom/ect. it says this...

NOTE:: If you are flashing this in preparation of the official jellybean OTA, It is recommended that you flash the misc files listed at the bottom of the post as well to avoid any conflic
    ################################################################################################### THESE ARE RECOMMENDED IF YOU PLAN ON FLASHING THE OFFICIAL OTA FROM SPRINT
    LI3(ICS)- https://rapidshare.com/files/1858214151/==OPTIONAL==ICS_LI3_BOOTLOADER_TZ_FILES.zip

DONT FORGET TO "THANKS" IF I HELPED
    Works great and still rooted!!!

1. Power off phone

Can this be flashed with stock recovery

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda app-developers app

YES, no changes made, pulled directly from my phone when i got the ota update
    I am missing the LI3 swype apk.... So I found a few while searching, but I had to download the wrong version. Can anyone link the exact LI3's swype.apk?

Thanks in advance

You can find the two file you need in ea5d7d1ce298.update_SPH-L710_LG8_to_LI3.zip.

You need /system/app/Swype.apk and /system/lib/libSwypeCore.so
    Thanks!

Ran the update with CWM without any issues, then flashed the Team Epic Root zip which still works.

HELL YEAH!
    hmm, and I called it :p I said in a previous thread last month that JB would be out for Halloween to give all of us a treat (android candy)! ^^

Amazing this the same Samsung/Sprint I delt with for 2 years with my Samsung Epic 4G, with the slow updates... Where by the time we got Froyo, everyone was getting Gingerbread... And by the time Gingerbread came out... Well... It was older than dirt. To see these improvements with the handling of the S3 is remarkable.

Thanks again for the update link! :D
    Now to bed... It's SILENT HILL day o.o