[Q] Help! Using in Malaysia. Call/SMS Problems. No 2G/3G data too.

Search This thread

webusermy

Jun 22, 2012
Bought a "Motorola Droid 4 XT894 - 16GB - Black (Verizon) GSM Unlocked" off eBay to use in Malaysia.

Issues:
No data connection even after keying in the appropriate settings.
After some undetermined period of time (anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours), won't be able to receive or make/send calls/sms.

Info:
On the provider Maxis Mobile.
Supported Frequencies: GSM 900 / GSM 1800 / UMTS 2100

About Phone

Service State: In Service
Mobile Network State: Disconnected

System version:
98.72.188.XT894.Verizon.en.US

Baseband version:
CDMA_N_05.25.00R LTEDC_U_09.1D.00

Webtop version:
wt-3.0.0

Kernal version
3.0.8-g448a95f
hudsoncm@ilclbld31 #1
SMP PREEMPT Wed Nov 20 19:52:01 CST 2013

Build number
9.8.2O-72_VZW-18-8

Build date
Wed Nov 20 19:37:19 CST 2013

Long sob story version:
Been waiting and looking for an update to my Xperia Pro, wanted a good QWERTY slider Android. Unfortunately, manufacturers think there's no market for it just because they kept releasing **** spec versions, so obviously people won't buy em. =\.. all in all, had no choice but to pick up the best out there spec wise, the Droid 4 from the USA through eBay as it has the specs to work globally.

First issue unfortunately was not being able to get data connection. That is fine, as I can use WiFi for now until I figure it out.

But the main issue is with calls/sms!

When the phone first boots, obviously there's the warning about "This SIM card is from an unknown source".

Once booted, I am unable to receive any calls. Any calls made to that phone will immediately be sent to Voice mail. Doesn't matter if the phone is awake or in sleep.

Now here is the funny thing, ONCE I send out a SMS or make a call, I can start receiving calls. Unfortunately, this is also short lived as after an undetermined period of time, the issue will pop up again and I won't be able to receive any calls or even SMS.

As it sometime works and sometimes does not, this gets really frustrating as I can't pin point what exactly is the problem here.

I could use the help and advises of the gurus here and this is really infuriating to me.

Thank you very much everyone for taking the time to read and assist me on this issue.

Kind Regards

webusermy

Jun 22, 2012
Further Update:

I have left the phone on standby for a while.

What I can tell you is, SMS will take around 5-10 minutes to be delivered to the phone and the alert to be played.

Calling still gets set to voice mail. It is as if it has a small open window of opportunity for SMSes to get in. This is unbelievable frustrating...

LuH

Aug 10, 2007
CZ
Last edited: