[Q] Bricked ? ? ?

Search This thread

HC1Gunner

Dec 28, 2013
SGH-I537 AT&T
1. Phone is never seen by or connects to Kies, just stays at Connecting. USB drivers are installed, and when connected to PC you get device connection tone, but phone is not seen in My Computer like normal.
When I enter the Model # SGH-I537 and the SN#, it comes back with...Please check the model name and enter it. Or it connects and message comes back from Samsung saying something like it can't verify the phone. For some stupid reason I can't find the latest official firmware for my phone 4.4.2, all I can find is 4.2.2.
Someone told me if you flash using Odin that you need to flash with the same firmware that is currently on your phone. I also hate to use Odin as I've heard of so many people bricking their phone with Odin. I'm not sure what's available for the I537, but once when I bricked my S2, I was able to connect a USB jig that shorted a couple of the pins, and this allowed me to boot into recovery. I wish I had something this simple of my S4 Active.
I'm in a bad way, I sold this phone, so I went into recovery to do wipe and reset the phone to factory, wipe was successful, but when rebooted it would only boot to Download mode. So then I tried to use Kies, and with Kies I never actually got into recovery, then the next time I rebooted, it went the Firmware upgrade encountered an issue for Kies, and is currently stuck there. I listed the phone online for sale and was purchased overnight. Now I have a phone that is worthless in its current state. Phone was only rooted, its never had anything else on it but stock firmware. I rooted it to use battery savers and get rid of some of the bloat.
I at updated it OTA to 4.4.2, and then rooted with towel. I tried to used Odin to push 4.3 I got off XDA official firmware, but that just failed. Anyone have an bright ideas? Help Please ! ! !

Log:
<ID:0/004> Removed!!
<ID:0/004> Added!!
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> BL_I537UCUBML2_2244695_REV06_user_low_ship_MULTI_CERT.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> AP_I537UCUBML2_2244695_REV06_user_low_ship_MULTI_CERT.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Leave CS..
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> CP_I537UCUBML2_2244695_REV06_user_low_ship_MULTI_CERT.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Leave CS..
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> CSC_ATT_I537ATTBML2_2244695_REV06_user_low_ship_MULTI_CERT.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/004> Odin v.3 engine (ID:4)..
<ID:0/004> File analysis..
<ID:0/004> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/004> Initialzation..
<ID:0/004> Set PIT file..
<ID:0/004> DO NOT TURN OFF TARGET!!
<ID:0/004> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/004> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/004> SingleDownload.
<ID:0/004> sbl1.mbn
<ID:0/004> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/004> sbl2.mbn
<ID:0/004> sbl3.mbn
<ID:0/004> rpm.mbn
<ID:0/004> aboot.mbn
<ID:0/004> FAIL! (Auth)
<ID:0/004>
<ID:0/004> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

SGH-I537 AT&T
1. Phone is never seen by or connects to Kies, just stays at Connecting. USB drivers are installed, and when connected to PC you get device connection tone, but phone is not seen in My Computer like normal.
When I enter the Model # SGH-I537 and the SN#, it comes back with...Please check the model name and enter it. Or it connects and message comes back from Samsung saying something like it can't verify the phone. For some stupid reason I can't find the latest official firmware for my phone 4.4.2, all I can find is 4.2.2.
Someone told me if you flash using Odin that you need to flash with the same firmware that is currently on your phone. I also hate to use Odin as I've heard of so many people bricking their phone with Odin. I'm not sure what's available for the I537, but once when I bricked my S2, I was able to connect a USB jig that shorted a couple of the pins, and this allowed me to boot into recovery. I wish I had something this simple of my S4 Active.
I'm in a bad way, I sold this phone, so I went into recovery to do wipe and reset the phone to factory, wipe was successful, but when rebooted it would only boot to Download mode. So then I tried to use Kies, and with Kies I never actually got into recovery, then the next time I rebooted, it went the Firmware upgrade encountered an issue for Kies, and is currently stuck there. I listed the phone online for sale and was purchased overnight. Now I have a phone that is worthless in its current state. Phone was only rooted, its never had anything else on it but stock firmware. I rooted it to use battery savers and get rid of some of the bloat.
I at updated it OTA to 4.4.2, and then rooted with towel. I tried to used Odin to push 4.3 I got off XDA official firmware, but that just failed. Anyone have an bright ideas? Help Please ! ! !

Log:
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> BL_I537UCUBML2_2244695_REV06_user_low_ship_MULTI_CERT.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Leave CS..
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> AP_I537UCUBML2_2244695_REV06_user_low_ship_MULTI_CERT.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Leave CS..
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> CP_I537UCUBML2_2244695_REV06_user_low_ship_MULTI_CERT.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Leave CS..
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> CSC_ATT_I537ATTBML2_2244695_REV06_user_low_ship_MULTI_CERT.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/004> Odin v.3 engine (ID:4)..
<ID:0/004> File analysis..
<ID:0/004> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/004> Initialzation..
<ID:0/004> Set PIT file..
<ID:0/004> DO NOT TURN OFF TARGET!!
<ID:0/004> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/004> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/004> SingleDownload.
<ID:0/004> sbl1.mbn
<ID:0/004> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/004> sbl2.mbn
<ID:0/004> sbl3.mbn
<ID:0/004> rpm.mbn
<ID:0/004> aboot.mbn
<ID:0/004> FAIL! (Auth)
<ID:0/004>
<ID:0/004> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)
Kies does not work with the i537, AT&T will not allow Samsung to release any of the firmware. You have nothing to worry about though, all you need to do is put the phone in download mode and use Odin to flash the ML2 package. MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT LOAD THE BOOTLOADER IN ODIN, IT WILL FAIL TO FLASH. Flash the other 3 files in Odin, reboot the phone to stock recovery and flash the NE3 OTA.

You're fine, it'll be in working condition by the end of the night.

HC1Gunner

Dec 28, 2013
Sounds Positive

Kies does not work with the i537, AT&T will not allow Samsung to release any of the firmware. You have nothing to worry about though, all you need to do is put the phone in download mode and use Odin to flash the ML2 package. MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT LOAD THE BOOTLOADER IN ODIN, IT WILL FAIL TO FLASH. Flash the other 3 files in Odin, reboot the phone to stock recovery and flash the NE3 OTA.

You're fine, it'll be in working condition by the end of the night.

Thanks for you help on this holiday weekend! I will give this a try tomorrow and cross my fingers. I was able to download the ML2 package, but I'm not sure about the NE3 OTA, I'm getting a lot of different hits when I do a search for it. Could you possible reply back with a link? I not sure what NE3 is, was that an update? I basically want to leave the phone stock for the new owner. Or are you saying that the ML2 flash will fix my phone, and after I have successfully booted my phone, I can go into settings/about phone/ software update, and this will give me NE3 OTA?

I see two different files:
ML2 to NE3 OTA File 444 MB
NC9 to NE3 OTA File 66.4 MB

BTW, I read somewhere in a post that if you are going to run/use odin, then you can not have Kies installed on your PC, any truth to this?

Last edited:
Thanks for you help on this holiday weekend! I will give this a try tomorrow and cross my fingers. I was able to download the ML2 package, but I'm not sure about the NE3 OTA, I'm getting a lot of different hits when I do a search for it. Could you possible reply back with a link? I not sure what NE3 is, was that an update? I basically want to leave the phone stock for the new owner. Or are you saying that the ML2 flash will fix my phone, and after I have successfully booted my phone, I can go into settings/about phone/ software update, and this will give me NE3 OTA?

I see two different files:
ML2 to NE3 OTA File 444 MB
NC9 to NE3 OTA File 66.4 MB

BTW, I read somewhere in a post that if you are going to run/use odin, then you can not have Kies installed on your PC, any truth to this?

I've never heard about the Kies / Odin issue, although that doesn't mean it's not true in certain cases.

NE3 is the latest firmware, you mentioned you were already on 4.4.2, so this will ensure that you're back on 4.4.2, and should fix some of the bugs with the original 4.4.2 OTA that was pushed a couple months ago.

The 2 OTA files you referenced are for updating from different firmware. So since your phone will be on ML2 and you're going to update it to NE3, you need to download the 444MB file and flash it through stock recovery.