Question HTC M7 vs HTC DROID DNA...

Search This thread

Serinety

Account currently disabled
Aug 29, 2010
GB
meettomy.site
... the DNA’s still a solid choice if you can live with the battery and storage constraints.

I'm so tired of this buzz word. The battery on the dna is fine. Myself, wife, and best friend all have dna's, we all get 15 hours of life easily. Who the hell is away from a charger for more than that anyway.. This is America not Africa.

The storage "constraints"? If you are not tied into at least one cloud storage service by now your doing it wrong. With Dropbox integrated into everything, as well as amazon Google, storing stuff locally on a device is freaking archaic. So other phones have 32gb, 64gb..Hell maybe they have a few TB of storage, who wants to store all that stuff on a PHONE that could be lost.. stolen, broken, bricked, wiped, broken, stolen.... You get the idea.

You also misunderstand the term "flagship" device. Just because a device comes out from a carrier that has a better number here, a smaller number there does not make it a flagship line device. The m7 is most certainly not in direct competition with the s4. If you pay attention to HTC's launch schedule, you will notice that they only release flagship devices approx once per year and usually towards the middle or later part of the year.

The dna is going to be outpaced just like every other phone is. But the m7 is not the successor, nor will it be "the next big thing", I consider it the "thunderbolt" of this year. Good phone, but not of "droid" stature

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Jhall8

WizeGuyDezignz

Jun 12, 2008
San Diego
I'm so tired of this buzz word. The battery on the dna is fine. Myself, wife, and best friend all have dna's, we all get 15 hours of life easily. Who the hell is away from a charger for more than that anyway.. This is America not Africa.

The storage "constraints"? If you are not tied into at least one cloud storage service by now your doing it wrong. With Dropbox integrated into everything, as well as amazon Google, storing stuff locally on a device is freaking archaic. So other phones have 32gb, 64gb..Hell maybe they have a few TB of storage, who wants to store all that stuff on a PHONE that could be lost.. stolen, broken, bricked, wiped, broken, stolen.... You get the idea.

You also misunderstand the term "flagship" device. Just because a device comes out from a carrier that has a better number here, a smaller number there does not make it a flagship line device. The m7 is most certainly not in direct competition with the s4. If you pay attention to HTC's launch schedule, you will notice that they only release flagship devices approx once per year and usually towards the middle or later part of the year.

The dna is going to be outpaced just like every other phone is. But the m7 is not the successor, nor will it be "the next big thing", I consider it the "thunderbolt" of this year. Good phone, but not of "droid" stature

Huh? A flagship device is normally a device that is released on most major carriers a la the S3. If the M7 isn't going to be a flagship device, then I don't know what is. :confused:

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda premium

orangechoochoo

Nov 30, 2012
Beating up dumbbells
Call it a flagship or not the DNA is great. The M7 will have a better camera though I've taken ten pictures since I got the phone in November, so the camera is not a big dea and if I want to take a proper photo I use my DSLR. The bigger battery is not much bigger, so no big deal either, plus the DNAs battery is more than adequate. The M7 has more storage but right now I've only used 6gb. I don't listen to much music or watch movies, the voices in my head are quite entertaining.

If the M7 is the flagship it's not much better than the DNA.

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington

The storage "constraints"? If you are not tied into at least one cloud storage service by now your doing it wrong.

You obviously don't travel; especially internationally. And you, your wife, and best friend use your devices differently than others do. The number of syncs and frequency you have them set at, talk time, video calls, screen on time, productivity use vs. browsing vs. video, all contribute to differences in people’s battery life. So for folks whose usage is like yours, your wife’s, and your best friend’s who are always connected to the cloud and get fifteen hours of battery life there are no constraints.

Based on the way I use my devices I’ve always gotten 1/3 less battery life (measured in hours) than what other’s typically average which would mean the DNA wouldn’t get me through the day. My use is pretty typical compared to people I work with so there’s a fairly decent percentage of productivity users that would get different results than you and your kin. Fortunately with the M7 HTC’s solved the problem by acknowledging marginal non-removable batteries and 11GB of non-expandable user accessible storage don’t sell phones. And maybe, finally, an HTC high-end phone can be reviewed without paragraphs dedicated to those compromises. Words like "adequate" and "moderate" shouldn't have to be applied to a high-end device; especially because HTC had the option to make them mute with different design choices. If others, unlike you, your wife, and your best friend, didn't care about those things HTC's market share, revenue, and profit wouldn't be in a free fall while smartphones are selling at their highest levels in history.

HTC is no stranger to criticism on its choice of batteries for its latest devices. Earlier this year, HTC decided to incorporate non-removable batteries in many of its flagship devices in an effort to keep handset profiles as thin as possible. Technically, this allows HTC to find a slightly larger battery into a phone without increasing the phone’s footprint, but in doing so, HTC has taken away the option for power users to swap out batteries in their phones. In general, non-removable batteries shouldn’t really be an issue, but HTC phones like the new HTC DROID DNA are equipped with top-of-the-line specs like Qualcomm’s quad-core 1.5GHz Snapdragon S4 Pro processor and 440ppi 5-inch 1080p display.

For a while, there were a few rumors that the HTC DROID DNA would come with a 2,500 mAh battery, but everyone’s hopes were shattered when the handset was officially unveiled with the same 2,020 mAh battery found in the HTC J Butterfly. To put things into perspective, a 2,020 mAh battery is actually quite large for a mobile device. There are less than a half dozen Android-powered phones on the market with larger batteries, but none of them features specs comparable to those found in the HTC DROID DNA.

The Verge - The DNA lasted a meager four hours and 25 minutes in the Verge Battery Test, which cycles through a series of websites and high-res images with the screen at 65 percent brightness. In daily use, it frequently tapped out long before the day was over.

Gizmodo - The Droid DNA still lasted until 10pm every night with moderately heavy usage. It’s certainly nowhere near the marathon levels of the Droid RAZR MAXX HD, but it outlasts the Galaxy S III

Engadget - In terms of real-life usage, the DNA got us through a full day on moderate use, but it’s quite apparent that the screen will drain the battery much faster, so frequent users will need to keep that in mind before heading off on the daily commute.

Android Police - The DROID DNA seems to have perfectly adequate battery life for moderate users, and even a little more than some other high-end phones may provide.

http://androidandme.com/2012/11/smartphones-2/htc-droid-dna-battery-life-receives-mixed-reviews/

Reactions: JBH_Film

WizeGuyDezignz

Jun 12, 2008
San Diego
Call it a flagship or not the DNA is great. The M7 will have a better camera though I've taken ten pictures since I got the phone in November, so the camera is not a big dea and if I want to take a proper photo I use my DSLR. The bigger battery is not much bigger, so no big deal either, plus the DNAs battery is more than adequate. The M7 has more storage but right now I've only used 6gb. I don't listen to much music or watch movies, the voices in my head are quite entertaining.

If the M7 is the flagship it's not much better than the DNA.

As much as you say I come here and always bash the DNA, you sure do a lot of justifying your purchase on here, I'm just saying.

If you're happy, that's great. You should be. :thumbup:

darkhelio

Jan 25, 2013
Thw camera is diferrence but thw aame stuff like the storage, battery, and display tech is diferrence too. Hope that amswer your qiestion

Yes dude but i mean 8 MP is enogh for me :) im not a camera boy so... the CPU and the GPU are the same... on the 2 phones right? the only diefernce on the Hardware is the GHz... and the DNA CPU is Down-Clock... idk why.. is the Qualcoom can handle 1.7GHz... and i have been running 1.7GHz on my droid dna for a 2 weeks no SOD and probelms...

orangechoochoo

Nov 30, 2012
Beating up dumbbells
As much as you say I come here and always bash the DNA, you sure do a lot of justifying your purchase on here, I'm just saying.

If you're happy, that's great. You should be. :thumbup:

Justify? No one forced me to buy this phone and I don't regret it one bit. It's my opnion that the phone fits me perfectly so I'm sharing my opinion as are you, and it's to bring balance to you guys who pitty the DNA owners for their choice of phone and constantly beat the inadequecy drums whenever the DNA is compared to other phones.

jlevy73

Nov 8, 2009
Los Angeles
You obviously don't travel; especially internationally. And you, your wife, and best friend use your devices differently than others do. The number of syncs and frequency you have them set at, talk time, video calls, screen on time, productivity use vs. browsing vs. video, all contribute to differences in people’s battery life. So for folks whose usage is like yours, your wife’s, and your best friend’s who are always connected to the cloud and get fifteen hours of battery life there are no constraints.

Based on the way I use my devices I’ve always gotten 1/3 less battery life (measured in hours) than what other’s typically average which would mean the DNA wouldn’t get me through the day. My use is pretty typical compared to people I work with so there’s a fairly decent percentage of productivity users that would get different results than you and your kin. Fortunately with the M7 HTC’s solved the problem by acknowledging marginal non-removable batteries and 11GB of non-expandable user accessible storage don’t sell phones. And maybe, finally, an HTC high-end phone can be reviewed without paragraphs dedicated to those compromises. Words like "adequate" and "moderate" shouldn't have to be applied to a high-end device; especially because HTC had the option to make them mute with different design choices. If others, unlike you, your wife, and your best friend, didn't care about those things HTC's market share, revenue, and profit wouldn't be in a free fall while smartphones are selling at their highest levels in history.

HTC is no stranger to criticism on its choice of batteries for its latest devices. Earlier this year, HTC decided to incorporate non-removable batteries in many of its flagship devices in an effort to keep handset profiles as thin as possible. Technically, this allows HTC to find a slightly larger battery into a phone without increasing the phone’s footprint, but in doing so, HTC has taken away the option for power users to swap out batteries in their phones. In general, non-removable batteries shouldn’t really be an issue, but HTC phones like the new HTC DROID DNA are equipped with top-of-the-line specs like Qualcomm’s quad-core 1.5GHz Snapdragon S4 Pro processor and 440ppi 5-inch 1080p display.

For a while, there were a few rumors that the HTC DROID DNA would come with a 2,500 mAh battery, but everyone’s hopes were shattered when the handset was officially unveiled with the same 2,020 mAh battery found in the HTC J Butterfly. To put things into perspective, a 2,020 mAh battery is actually quite large for a mobile device. There are less than a half dozen Android-powered phones on the market with larger batteries, but none of them features specs comparable to those found in the HTC DROID DNA.

The Verge - The DNA lasted a meager four hours and 25 minutes in the Verge Battery Test, which cycles through a series of websites and high-res images with the screen at 65 percent brightness. In daily use, it frequently tapped out long before the day was over.

Gizmodo - The Droid DNA still lasted until 10pm every night with moderately heavy usage. It’s certainly nowhere near the marathon levels of the Droid RAZR MAXX HD, but it outlasts the Galaxy S III

Engadget - In terms of real-life usage, the DNA got us through a full day on moderate use, but it’s quite apparent that the screen will drain the battery much faster, so frequent users will need to keep that in mind before heading off on the daily commute.

Android Police - The DROID DNA seems to have perfectly adequate battery life for moderate users, and even a little more than some other high-end phones may provide.

http://androidandme.com/2012/11/smartphones-2/htc-droid-dna-battery-life-receives-mixed-reviews/

I love my DNA but the one area that kills me is the internal storage. Being that I travel internationally a lot, the lack of on-phone storage is a bit bigger than originally anticipated. Cloud options, especially in countries like China are virtually impossible to access without a VPN. But even if one could, accessing 1gb of information on a wireless network just isn't viable.

Overall I do like the DNA a lot, but the storage issues force me to keep my S3 with me at all times.

WizeGuyDezignz

Jun 12, 2008
San Diego
Justify? No one forced me to buy this phone and I don't regret it one bit. It's my opnion that the phone fits me perfectly so I'm sharing my opinion as are you, and it's to bring balance to you guys who pitty the DNA owners for their choice of phone and constantly beat the inadequecy drums whenever the DNA is compared to other phones.

I'm giving you a hard time, but I did want to point out that we both have our opinions even if we don't agree. :thumbup:

Andro X

Jun 14, 2011
Revere, MA
Even though final specs aren't out yet there hasn't been any mention of the m7 having wireless charging like the DNA. I have no idea how much internal space that takes up but maybe without it they were able to fit in a slightly larger battery.

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA

darkhelio

Jan 25, 2013
my last .. i have overclock my CPU at 1.7GHz and GPU from 200MHz to 487MHz for 2 weeks now.. and i dont have any SOD or HEat problem so is Dangreous to be like that with the Phone? 24/7?

sgt. slaughter

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 12, 2010
Raleigh
It's 12% larger. The wildcard is how much energy the SoLux display consumes. In non-mobile applications it's twice as efficient as incandescent bulbs. It's never been used in a mobile device before so all 12% of the extra battery life could be used by the display or it could consume half the energy of existing displays furthering the M7's battery life. We'll have to wait until it gets tested to know the impact.

It’s supposed to be released Q1 and it would be fantastic for HTC if they could score being the launch customer with the M7. The XZ is using the same SoC as the DNA/Butterfly and I’d guess LG’s 1080P device will too. 600 will be far more effective against Exynos Octa. Here’s an interesting article where Qualcomm’s CEO describes what Samsung’s trying to do with Octa and why.

http://www.unwiredview.com/2013/01/...5-octa-its-just-a-misleading-publicity-stunt/

Wtf is an "XZ" you mention?....

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

darkhelio

Jan 25, 2013
my last .. i have overclock my CPU at 1.7GHz and GPU from 200MHz to 487MHz for 2 weeks now.. and i dont have any SOD or HEat problem so is Dangreous to be like that with the Phone? 24/7?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So whats the about ot jave thw aame stuff thw only diferrence is thw camera

Thw camera is diferrence but thw aame stuff like the storage, battery, and display tech is diferrence too. Hope that amswer your qiestion
    Being someone who just got the DNA, i kinda hope the m7 will have horrible battery life so i can still feel good about my phone lol.
    The m7 is not a "droid" branded device, and will not be a flagship phone.

Huh? The DNA/Butterfly is a regional interim release based on the One XL. The M7 will be HTC's "flagship" global phone to compete with the XZ, SGS4, and LG E940 and will include quad-band HSPA which the Butterfly intentionally did not. Here are features it's supposed to have (based on leaks) not in the DNA:

• First use of SoLux display technology in a mobile device
    • 32GB+ internal storage
    • 2,300 mAh battery
    • 13MP Exmor RS camera sensor
    • First official use of Sense 5
    It's supposed to follow Samsung's lead with the SGS3 and be released on multiple U.S. carriers without any changes (unlike the One XL, EVO 4G LTE) and Sprint's supposed to carry it so a CDMA version will exist. If VZW decides not to carry it then the DNA will remain the HTC "flagship" but only on VZW. There’s not one feature on the DNA that’s superior to the leaked specs of the M7. And while the M7’s display might be 3/10 of an inch smaller SoLux stands to set a new standard in brightness and outdoor usability. As it is, the DNA’s display is 30% dimmer than the OG One X.

If you’re on VZW wait until the HTC U.S. launch of the M7 on February 19th to see if their one of the carriers that’s going to carry it. If they don’t and you want an HTC device the DNA’s still a solid choice if you can live with the battery and storage constraints.
    The J Butterfly/Butterfly which are the generic versions of the DNA sold everywhere directly by HTC do not. All of HTC's "flagships" that they've sold directly globally do.

Global Butterfly

Global One X+

ok... I never said the butterfly had it, I was just commenting on the fact that you were wrong on stating that the dna does not have quad band hspa
    ... the DNA’s still a solid choice if you can live with the battery and storage constraints.