[Q] Replacing default android launcher

Search This thread

EXilE51

Mar 11, 2013
windsor
hello xda
i have an lg c800g (or lg my touch q) and i absolutely hate the default home screen or launcher and i was wondering if I could switch it out with another launcher (my favorite so far is adw EX) unfortunately my phone is needed everyday and i don't want to spend 250$ for a new one. the reason why i haven't just used a ROM is because i'm having a lot of trouble with clock work mod so roms aren't an option. however I've found a way to keep apps installed to the firmware using an app called link2sd one of its features is to install and remove straight to the firmware as I've just tested sucsesful. so if it was possible can anyone take an old 2.3 android and use this app to install a launcher and see if it works after system reset it would be great to never have to deal with this ugly home screen again. any feedback would be appreciated i am rooted but no clockwork mod or roms can be used.:confused:

immortalneo

Jan 25, 2011
Malappuram, Kerala
From my experience, I believe you can simply install a launcher from the Playstore and start using it (set it as default too).

If you want to remove ur stock launcher, root ur phone and then use a root explorer to delete the launcher's apk. :)

"To err is human, to forgive is divine"
Sent from my SGS II

EXilE51

Mar 11, 2013
windsor
From my experience, I believe you can simply install a launcher from the Playstore and start using it (set it as default too).

If you want to remove ur stock launcher, root ur phone and then use a root explorer to delete the launcher's apk. :)

Sent from my SGS II
yes that is what i have done so far but if my phone gets reset i would like to only have adw EX.
would it be ok to delet the home.apk file and when reset it would boot with the adw home

Last edited:

alicarbovader

Feb 16, 2013
In Emperor's Chamber in Death Star 1
There is no way that you reset the phone and it would return to your ADW by default. Resetting erases the usbale memory on your phone, and makes it like new, of course if you haven't done any hacking onto it, like rooting and stuff. But if you want that, I would suggest a custom ROM, and edit the zip file, replacing the launcher2(that's what HTC Desire ROMs have, if your ROM doesn't have that, try looking for an alternative) with your ADW launcher in WinRAR or 7-Zip. That ought to do the trick.

Bagne

Feb 13, 2013
Semarang
Realme 6 Pro
i have done this to my phone, deleting the default launcher from /system/app folder (using root explorer), then i copy the launcher that i want to the same folder, change its permission to rw-r--r--, and reboot...

Sami Kabir

Oct 3, 2012
If you do all this though, all the removing the stock launcher, then moving a new launcher into the system root, what would happen if i reset the phone, would it start up on the launcher that was added?

It depends, but yeah, it will probably load up the stock (default) launcher - and your launcher will be deleted. But you can redo the entire procedure to set it up again...

nyln

Dec 30, 2015
Can I install iOS permently in my Android devices if I can say the process to santhoshgoud13666@gma.com

If you are interested in removing the default launcher (firelauncher.apk for Amazon Fire tablets) without rooting your device, please check out my tutorial thread below:
http://xdaforums.com/hd8-hd10/general/tut-remove-default-launcher-amazon-fire-t3288192

If you are interested in developing a more efficient version, please check out th development thread here:
http://xdaforums.com/hd8-hd10/development/amazon-fire-hd-8-10-remove-firelauncher-t3286646

I hope this solves all of your problems :)!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Sent from my SGS II
    yes that is what i have done so far but if my phone gets reset i would like to only have adw EX.
    would it be ok to delet the home.apk file and when reset it would boot with the adw home

When the phone reboots it should default to your chosen launcher

Sent from my MB865 using xda premium
    But do i have to change go launcher file name to "launcher.apk" or just leave the original name ?
    thanks

You don't have to rename it... Just paste the .apk in system > app folder

Sent from my GT-I9070 using xda app-developers app