[Q] Rooting NEC Terrain

Search This thread

Wombat Pete

Mar 14, 2014
Hello! I've read the one thread I can find on this, but doesn't seem to be a lot of activity there lately.
I wonder whether anyone's still working on this and whether there's been any progress!
Anyone know?
Thanks much
WP

N'ayam Amarsh'e

Dec 27, 2013
Thanks for the idea; unfortunately, neither exploit worked. Any other ideas?
I have a universal Guide To root phones I am now goin' to post it... You can read it and root your phone

---------- Post added at 01:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:34 PM ----------

Thanks for the idea; unfortunately, neither exploit worked. Any other ideas?
Read My Universal GUIDE To root Any Android Device : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2684210

Don't Forget To press Thanks Whenever I help You...

Wombat Pete

Mar 14, 2014
Problem with Explorer

N'ayam Amarsh'e, I'm trying your system. So far, so good - up until the Droid Explorer step.
But Droid Explorer installs, with the SDK tools, ... and then crashes upon running it (can't find the SDK stuff).
I looked at the Droid Explorer site under issues - EVERYONE is now having this problem.
I tried various locations for SDK, ...uninstalling and reinstalling DE, and and even earlier releases of Droid Explorer (from before the problem seemed to have cropped up) - nothing works.
Is there any alternative that will work? Or do you happen to know how to fix this problem (no one on their forums seems to know!)?
Thanks again
PS - I got release 8.7.2.x64 to install AND start, but now it doesn't find the android device. Made sure USB debugging is still connected, and that it's "connected as a media device".
PPS - Droid Explorer's site says everywhere that it's supposed to work for already-rooted devices...

I have a universal Guide To root phones I am now goin' to post it... You can read it and root your phone

---------- Post added at 01:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:34 PM ----------

Read My Universal GUIDE To root Any Android Device : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2684210

Don't Forget To press Thanks Whenever I help You...

Last edited:

N'ayam Amarsh'e

Dec 27, 2013
N'ayam Amarsh'e, I'm trying your system. So far, so good - up until the Droid Explorer step.
But Droid Explorer installs, with the SDK tools, ... and then crashes upon running it (can't find the SDK stuff).
I looked at the Droid Explorer site under issues - EVERYONE is now having this problem.
I tried various locations for SDK, ...uninstalling and reinstalling DE, and and even earlier releases of Droid Explorer (from before the problem seemed to have cropped up) - nothing works.
Is there any alternative that will work? Or do you happen to know how to fix this problem (no one on their forums seems to know!)?
Thanks again
PS - I got release 8.7.2.x64 to install AND start, but now it doesn't find the android device. Made sure USB debugging is still connected, and that it's "connected as a media device".
PPS - Droid Explorer's site says everywhere that it's supposed to work for already-rooted devices...
Hi this shouldn't be a problem but I think linux would be the best.... in linux you can use nautilus for exploring files of your device with root privileges... try it... i m going to edit the guide now...

timekiller_9

Nov 9, 2013
You surely don't have drivers.... Download them again and give it a try...

What drivers are you talking about? There are no "drivers" for Ubuntu per say. The only thing that needs to be done is in /etc/udev/rules.d you have to have the appropriate vendor in there, which I do. With the NEC Terrain booted normally:

$ ./adb devices
List of devices attached
30c17c2 device

then I do

$ ./adb reboot recovery

and wait for the NEC Terrain to get in to recovery mode

$ ./adb devices
List of devices attached

And that's it, no devices listed. The NEC Terrain does not respond in recovery mode. Please don't say I don't have drivers, drivers are for Windows. You said this should be done in Ubuntu via Nautilus. I'm not seeing how that could be the case. Please enlighten.

Rustydagger

May 3, 2014
Waiting and Watching

Just Gonna throw out that i have two of these phones. If anyone can tell me what to do to help things along I will. I have tried several different universal root methods to no avail. Watching intently. Interested enough that i made an xda account after lurking for the last few years.

Rustydagger

May 3, 2014
No Luck

Haven't had any luck rooting it yet. But I'm quite impressed with the durability of these phones. Ive had mine covered in paint, washed it with gas, and sent it to the bottom of the swimming pool. It just keeps going strong.

tehchase

Aug 10, 2014
Official NEC Terrain site has changed..

Before I bought my NEC Terrain the page necterrain(dot)com was an info site about the phone.
It has since changed to a strange log-in page. I know this is off toppic, but maybe there is some magical nugget of root-getting unlocking code in there.
..not that I'm advocating breaking into such a page.. I'm just postulating. :laugh:

holydude92

Nov 20, 2014
found this today...

I'm not too savvy with this tech stuff but i figured if anyone could do it it would be you guy's here... i did not create this nor write it and since i am new i cannot post a link but its from our friends over at yumapk... so w/o further a due:

"Here is the tutorial of getting root access on NEC Terrain.

Before getting access on NEC Terrain, you need to prepare 4 tools:

Ⅰ:Android SDK

Ⅱ: The related drive of NEC Terrain

Ⅲ: cm-hero-recovery.img

Ⅳ: superuser.zi

The first step is to install USB drive:

Firstly, let’s come into this step. Find Setting-Application program-USB debugger button, then check the first option. Next, connect your USB line with PC, it will prompt you to install driver. If it is the 32 bit system, then you are supposed to choose “x86” document to install the drive. Whereas, if it is 64 bit system, choose “amd64” document to install the drive.

The second step is to prepare the software for NEC Terrain:

In detail, remove the “TMG” document in your software kit to the root directory in C disk, in order to give us the convenience of finding C:\TMG\

The third step is to examine adb.exe and fastboot.exe:

To begin with the third procedure, all we need to do is to ensure that we have the document of adb.exe and fastboot.exe in TMG. So we need to accomplish those procedures one by one.

The fourth step is to check the condition of drive installation:

Unplug your USB line, then shut down NEC Terrain, next press the backspace key. Go on pressing the power key to enter bootloader. Then connect NEC Terrain with PC, and fastbootusb will come out in NEC Terrain. Pay more attention that never press mount at this time.

Open Start-Run-CMD, then enter the order: cdC:\TMG

C:\TMG>_ will come out when the order runs successfully.

Then input the order: fastboot devices.

The fifth step is to start rooting:

Enter: fastboot boot cm-hero-recovery.img after C:\TMG>. Then NEC Terrain will enter the mode of recovery.

We will see seven options in this mode, they are the following ones:

[Home+Back]reboot system now\\restart
 [Alt+S]apply sdcard:update.zip\\install update.zip in SD
 [Alt+A]apply any zip fromsd\\install any zip file in SD
 [Alt+W]wipe data /factoryreset\\delete all datas
 [Alt+B]nandroid v2.2 backup\\back up
 [Alt+R]restore late stbackup\\recover the final back-ups

[Alt+F]repair ext filesystems\\suggest backing up ROM in NEC Terrain, use the trackball to move the cursor to [Alt+B]nandroidv2.2backup, check it. If there is something wrong with your NEC Terrain, it can also recover.

Now start entering the order, an order is in a line. Pay attention to the small letters and the big letters and also the blank.
  adb shell mount /system
  adb push su /system/bin/
  adb shell chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
  adb push Superuser.apk /system/app/
  adb shell reboot
  After rebooting, you will finally get root access on NEC Terrain."

if this works hopefully someone can make a script to make this more convenient for the others like me :D

g0dspeed

Jun 12, 2006
[permanently]temp rooting tools

it suport xposed framework , wifi tethering shoud work(byebye ATT.
this tool came from twitter/uniQta.

ByWp5F6CYAApR6j.jpg

https://twitter.com/uniQta/status/515004550520918017/photo/1

ByJ3a6bCUAAWdw9.jpg

https://twitter.com/uniQta/status/514104619396378624/photo/1

----
03/26 file was removed.

Last edited:
Reactions: 0x29a

smsdalle

Mar 9, 2015
Hi.. I'm a completly new android guy and started with NEC terrain this week.. And after one weekend with it I managed to skrew it up allready.. I have an unlocked phone, but played with some 2G/3G/LTE apps, so I could switch between those signals, since I could do that on my old BB pearl, and on the pearl it worked like a charm.. Well I press the wrong button, and now my radio is turned onto USA BAND, and can't be changed unless I flash the stock firmware.. I have no idea how to do that so I need help.. But at the same time I've looked up all this ROOT, cuz' this awesome phone does not have my good old features from nokia feature phones nor the blackberry.. the abillity turn power off AND ON on schedule.

And thru my frustrations I fell over a guy who put android 4.4 on his device, since I'm new I read somewhere I can't post links.. But if you google: "How to update NEC Terrain to Android 4.4-Kitkat" then you find the post right away.. does this help you guys? and in the end me?

Greatings from Daniel from Denmark

Top Liked Posts