Beware the N7100/N7105 UK Con

Search This thread

keirmccann

May 2, 2008
Bought n7000 note 2 for 459 from phones for you last week. N7105 was clearly 569 on the shelf or near enough.

ee is a load of garbage anyway I get over 10mb in most places on 3 and have 110mb broadband at home, just seems a tad silly to me the speeds I get now are more than enough

Pat.

Oct 9, 2012

There your getting 24.62mbps.

Well that contrasts seriously with this statement....

If a n7100 (which i have brought for £550 at carphonewarehouse) can reach 15meg on hspca or whatever it is thats god damn near perfect why would you want to wait 2 years for 4g just to get 5 more meg ?

Thats my 2cents anyways :)

---------- Post added at 12:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:14 AM ----------

Bought n7000 note 2 for 459 from phones for you last week. N7105 was clearly 569 on the shelf or near enough.

ee is a load of garbage anyway I get over 10mb in most places on 3 and have 110mb broadband at home, just seems a tad silly to me the speeds I get now are more than enough

I assume you meant "N7100" ... Orange & Phones4U were doing the N7105 for under £500 payg so you are widening the true price gap there.
I fully agree that EE's 4G is overpriced rubbish. But the 7105 is going to be an attractive secondhand phone as it has all the LTE bands & should have about the same price gap at resale.
So with no difference financially the 7105 is a better bet because it has potential for speed as networks get faster.

Last edited:

DjeMBeY

Dec 23, 2011
London, UK
www.soundcloud.com
Many people don't know anything about new DC networks and think that only 4G can handle high DL speeds.... Wrong!!
Everyone who don't mind the size and want to have Ultrafast Internet w/o waiting for proper 4G in UK should go for Note 2 LTE as is more future proof and hook it up with 3UK.. IMHO ;)

Last edited:

okuda1971

Apr 11, 2010
I can browse the web fast enough, I can download large apps and games in minutes, I can stream hd video frim YouTube and view all my online cloud storage photo's all without 4G..!! Apart from the resale value of the lte version what benefit is 4G to me??? This is the same old arguement about dual core/quad core....if the phone does what you need it too!! My question is simple what is coming that requires that sort of Internet speed?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda app-developers app

Pat.

Oct 9, 2012
I can browse the web fast enough, I can download large apps and games in minutes, I can stream hd video frim YouTube and view all my online cloud storage photo's all without 4G..!! Apart from the resale value of the lte version what benefit is 4G to me??? This is the same old arguement about dual core/quad core....if the phone does what you need it too!! My question is simple what is coming that requires that sort of Internet speed?

Point is, an LTE note2 has 42mbps capability on 3G whereas non LTE version has 21mbps capability.
So that's where the benefit is if you forget the 4G side of it.
Maybe 6 months into ownership as content online becomes more data hungry that extra speed will start to pay off.

maverick1103

Jun 16, 2011
Kidderminster
Point is, an LTE note2 has 42mbps capability on 3G whereas non LTE version has 21mbps capability.
So that's where the benefit is if you forget the 4G side of it.
Maybe 6 months into ownership as content online becomes more data hungry that extra speed will start to pay off.

^ exactly my point!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

scote

Mar 30, 2007
I got my 7105 a couple of days ago, both the EE shops in my town did not have one available on payg but they quoted £499 if they had, phones4u charged me £509 for a sim free one and it was an EE one in so much that the protective wrapper on the screen had an EE url on it, cant see any branding in the software though.
EE were trying to move me to a £46/month contract +£139 for the phone to go on 4g, I said no thanks I'll stay on my £8/month sim only unlimited internet contract thanks and buy a sim free phone saving myself ~£650 over two years. They said you cant be getting unlimited internet for that price, I said I am, I've only been warned about fair usage once in the last year when I had my old phone tethered to a laptop and downloading alot.
Just done a speed test with only 2 bars strength and got 19Mbps :)

maffo999

Jan 26, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
N7100 FTW!

Hello everybody,
I bought a N7100 with all you can eat data from 3 a month ago and I have to admit I'm very happy with this.
I've spent almost 1 month thinking whether getting the LTE version or not but then, due to the fact that LTE is not available here yet (Newcastle), I decided to go for the HSPA version.
Here in Newcastle as well as in Leeds, York and Manchester I get ultra speeds on 3's network (never below 8Mbit/s) and the signal is pretty much always stuck with H+ icon, sometimes with H but I never saw it switching to 3G.
I can tell you I chosed the HSPA version because I think EE has got some pretty expensive plans: sure, they've got 4G and they're the only one here but with the price I'd pay a monthly contract with EE (I should take the 8GB one and still it would be small for my needs) I'd pay more then what I pay for 3 and fixed broadband.
I really don't understand all these people going frenzy about having a 4G connection on their phone, Youtube works greatly on HSPA+ with HD videos as well as Google Music/Skype/Netflix, plus I can tether it to my tablet or my laptop if I need it.
I use my phone to stream music from Google or from my home server if I want to listen to some FLACs and watch Netflix when I'm on the train and, as far as I can tell, I never suffered network lags or extreme buffering.
As now, I don't think that having a 4G mobile phone is worth since the contract prices are extremely high compared to normal plans.
Just my 2 cents...

MJLONGLEY

Feb 18, 2012
Hi Guys,
I have only just discovered that my Note 2 bought online on 4 October 2012 on EE from Mobiles.co.uk is only a 3G model not the 4G model that I believed them all to be. There were no different models/variations advertised to choose from and the Samsung website then did not state that there were two different models. Did one supercede the other or are/were they both available simultaneously?

scote

Mar 30, 2007
Dont forget that as op pointed out 7105 has dc-hsdpa which 7100 does not. I got 19mbs without 4g or paying for it, its not my area yet anyway.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

Pat.

Oct 9, 2012
Hi Guys,
I have only just discovered that my Note 2 bought online on 4 October 2012 on EE from Mobiles.co.uk is only a 3G model not the 4G model that I believed them all to be. There were no different models/variations advertised to choose from and the Samsung website then did not state that there were two different models. Did one supercede the other or are/were they both available simultaneously?

It was total confusion because in the spec for 7100 it said 4G but that was (I think) just one USA 4G band that was of no use to us in UK but alot of companies like yours & Phones4U did tell people they were 4G & also wrongly told people they were good for later UK 4G use.
There was around 8 different Note2 models sold worldwide. The 7105 LTE model came a bit later to the UK because Samsung probably didn't have confirmation of which 4G bands the UK would need & also the 7105 was to satisfy other markets like Australia ETC
As for your purchase, it was extremely (& still is) rare for anyone other than EE,Orange or T-Mobile THEMSELVES to sell a contract 7105 although some shops like Phoneys4u did sell it on payg.
Basically October last year was a hugely confusing time to buy a Note2 unless you did alot of homework & insisted on getting confirmation of model numbers on the handset you were buying.
Nothing superseded anything else & both LTE & Non LTE versions of note2 are on sale in UK on contract as we speak.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:
Reactions: MJLONGLEY

MJLONGLEY

Feb 18, 2012
It was total confusion because in the spec for 7100 it said 4G but that was (I think) just one USA 4G band that was of no use to us in UK but alot of companies like yours & Phones4U did tell people they were 4G & also wrongly told people they were good for later UK 4G use.
There was around 8 different Note2 models sold worldwide. The 7105 LTE model came a bit later to the UK because Samsung probably didn't have confirmation of which 4G bands the UK would need & also the 7105 was to satisfy other markets like Australia ETC
As for your purchase, it was extremely (& still is) rare for anyone other than EE,Orange or T-Mobile THEMSELVES to sell a contract 7105 although some shops like Phoneys4u did sell it on payg.
Basically October last year was a hugely confusing time to buy a Note2 unless you did alot of homework & insisted on getting confirmation of model numbers on the handset you were buying.
Nothing superseded anything else & both LTE & Non LTE versions of note2 are on sale in UK on contract as we speak.

Thank you for that information.
Do I, or anyone else, have grounds for complaint of being sold the wrong item or anything similar?

Pat.

Oct 9, 2012
Thank you for that information.
Do I, or anyone else, have grounds for complaint of being sold the wrong item or anything similar?

If you were sold a Note 2 & were specifically lead to believe it was going to be suitable for UK LTE 4G reception on EE network (nobody had confirmation of the bands 3,O2 or Voda would be using back then) then yes as you were mislead by the retailer.
However all cases like yours appear to have one similarity ....that nothing was put in writing/email.
Without proof you were mislead its not really worth trying to get recompense & your time would be better spent selling your 7100 & buying a 7105 if you want UK 4G & DC HSPDA+ 42mbps Capability.

Last edited:
Reactions: MJLONGLEY

maverick1103

Jun 16, 2011
Kidderminster
Ok so last week I rang up 3 again to ask them when my Note 2 (N7100) will accept their Ultrafast Internet.... Bearing in mind I knew before that it needs to be the N7105, but plenty of their customer service representatives and a manager all stated my phone is 4G ready. After I while I was told yes it Ultrafast Internet available, I asked is that 4G or the DC-HSPDA? I got no where so I raised a complaint after being miss sold a phone, this didn't get me any further, just wasting an hour on the phone with 3s complaints department with an obnoxious customer service representative who hasn't a clue the difference between 3G, DC-HSPDA and 4G....was I surprised no! After an hour she refused to raise my complaint higher, this didn't go down well.

I then got hold of 3s executives customers services department who rang me back today, they are based in Scotland rather than India. The guy basically admitted that 3 had mislead me and offered me the S3 LTE version for 3 as an exchange as they don't sell the Note 2 LTE version. I declined as I don't really want to go backwards, but took the Sony Xperia Z instead as it's the only phone out there other than the Note 2 which is fairly decent.

So I suggest if there is anyone else on 3 and have been told that your model is 4G ready, get it noted on your account and then complain!

:thumbup:

E_Goldstein

Nov 23, 2011
They are getting the LTE version in March, dam!

I popped in my local three store on friday asking about the lte note 2 and he said all we have right now is the S3 and he replied were getting ut next month.

For those interested i have just got off the phone and i have been informed by three that my N7100 is compatible with 4G lol.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I hit the high street today in search of an N7105 to go on three's network with the hope of being 4G ready, this is what I found

1) I went into a 3 store and got to play with a real "3" note 2, this was an N7100 despite "3's" customer service promising me that it was 4G ready for sure, it turns out they are currently only stocking the N7100 :( what is really bad is that 3 are pushing the fact that they are upgrading their network to DC-HSDPA (theoretical 42 Mbps real world 15 mbps) but regarding Samsungs the only DC-HSDPA phone available are the Galaxy S3 LTE and the Note 2 LTE, so the regular note 2 will not be able to make the best of "3s" newly enhanced network.

2) I went into phones 4U as independent phone shops buy their own phones and so in theory will be able to sell you an N7105 on any network you want. This was even worse! where as T-mobile/Orange customers are getting the N7105 direct from their provider if they either start up new contracts or upgrade, if you sign up to a new contract or upgrade via phones 4U they are dishing out the N7100, they don't have any N7105's in stock and when they get them they will be exclusively dishing them out to people signing up to new contracts on EE.

If I was with T-Mobile/Orange and got an N7100 through phones 4U when I was meant to get an N7105 I would be very unimpressed.
    this is no news at all. the LTE phones available in UK now are designed to work with EE network 4G frequencies. your taking a big gamble buying one and hoping it will work with a specific network next year. and as s general advice dont believe what the sales representative will tell you. do your research before going into the shop.

Sorry to say but, you're wrong.
    It's well known what frequencies will be used and the n7105 will work on all of them, plus as the op said it has dc-h+ which means you can get unlimited near 4g speeds with all you can eat data from Three for as little as £12.90 pcm.
    It's £509 for the phone.
    £12 to unlock
    Clearly the best option for the money conscious data hog.

And OP you might not be able to get an n7105 from anyone other than EE for sometime, or they might appear tomorrow. It has about the same likelihood of the 32gb version turning up.
    (Actually Samsung might have said the 32 isn't coming? I'm not sure on that one?)

Newbie to this forum or not, I have to say that you could have got your point across without using the last line.
    I believe EE are to blame for not being able to but the N7105 SIM free they must have a deal with Samsung or something. As I work for CPW and we can sell the N7100 on Pay as u go, Pay Monthly and SIM free. Though we can only sell the N7105 on Pay Monthly with EE!

Though we have stopped being able to sell the N7100 on 3 now, they have instructed us not to, I believe this is because they are only stocking the N7105 model themselves so it stops 3rd party companies misselling etc, though it's a shame we can't sell it SIM free....it's very frustrating!

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 2
    Ok so last week I rang up 3 again to ask them when my Note 2 (N7100) will accept their Ultrafast Internet.... Bearing in mind I knew before that it needs to be the N7105, but plenty of their customer service representatives and a manager all stated my phone is 4G ready. After I while I was told yes it Ultrafast Internet available, I asked is that 4G or the DC-HSPDA? I got no where so I raised a complaint after being miss sold a phone, this didn't get me any further, just wasting an hour on the phone with 3s complaints department with an obnoxious customer service representative who hasn't a clue the difference between 3G, DC-HSPDA and 4G....was I surprised no! After an hour she refused to raise my complaint higher, this didn't go down well.

I then got hold of 3s executives customers services department who rang me back today, they are based in Scotland rather than India. The guy basically admitted that 3 had mislead me and offered me the S3 LTE version for 3 as an exchange as they don't sell the Note 2 LTE version. I declined as I don't really want to go backwards, but took the Sony Xperia Z instead as it's the only phone out there other than the Note 2 which is fairly decent.

So I suggest if there is anyone else on 3 and have been told that your model is 4G ready, get it noted on your account and then complain!

:thumbup: